Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

New Car Breakdown...

New Car Breakdown...

A bit about my current Soob: clock now has 120,000. I'm on my THIRD set of headgaskets, second front diff and second tranny, THIRD set of rotors (the OEM's are too fuckin' thin to cut more than a coupla times)...

At just over 60,000 miles, lost the front diff and tranny...

Just after that I replaced the first set of head gaskets...

Just after THAT my rotors disinegrated without notice...

This was all before I hit 70,000 miles...

My wife's S40 just hit 64,000 miles. We've had the rotors turned, once. That's it for maintenance so far, other than typical preventative type stuff...

I will say in the Soob's defense that Manchester Soob's service department has been astounding in their treatment of me. Simply amazed at how well they've handled my situations...

0 Not allowed!

New Car Breakdown...

Originally posted by Stoneman
    Far more than I'd pay for ANY vehicle. I can't see myself going much over $30K for a new vehicle, and used are outta the question. A new vehicle just isn't worth more than that to me. I consider even THAT excessive...
    my numbers where for a difrrent car.. the 06 g35 AWD is on par with the s40 at 33,000 new

0 Not allowed!
    Adobe Certified Expert, Photoshop CS4
    Adobe Certified Professional, Flash CS4

New Car Breakdown...

The Magnum R/t with goodies was more than my Avalanche.

0 Not allowed!
    LRRS\CCS\WERA #486

New Car Breakdown...

A bit about my current Soob: clock now has 120,000. I'm on my THIRD set of headgaskets, second front diff and second tranny, THIRD set of rotors (the OEM's are too fuckin' thin to cut more than a coupla times)...

At just over 60,000 miles, lost the front diff and tranny...

Just after that I replaced the first set of head gaskets...

Just after THAT my rotors disinegrated without notice...

This was all before I hit 70,000 miles...

My wife's S40 just hit 64,000 miles. We've had the rotors turned, once. That's it for maintenance so far, other than typical preventative type stuff...

I will say in the Soob's defense that Manchester Soob's service department has been astounding in their treatment of me. Simply amazed at how well they've handled my situations...
    Interesting. I know that some of the late 90's Subies had some major HG issues. What year is your car? You're not rallying on the side are you? Just because it's a Subie, doesn't mean you're going to win the WRC I think you've got one of the unique Subies that are a problem car.

Anyway, if you're at all interested in the Subie still, check out www.nasioc.com -- I know it says Impreza owners, but it's a really great site for Subies in general. Make sure you swing by the Regional forum, they're typically a good group of guys. (Hmm... for some reason, I think you're on this site already... as I recall someone with a car with problems relatied to yours [rotor problem]...)

0 Not allowed!

New Car Breakdown...

Mine's an '01. I'm fully aware that it's wunna the 'problem ones' as Soobs are well known for reliability & longevity...

I can't remember which Soob board I frequently lurk on. My problems are well documented on whichever it is though...

Originally posted by hqp921
    Interesting. I know that some of the late 90's Subies had some major HG issues. What year is your car? You're not rallying on the side are you? Just because it's a Subie, doesn't mean you're going to win the WRC I think you've got one of the unique Subies that are a problem car.

Anyway, if you're at all interested in the Subie still, check out www.nasioc.com -- I know it says Impreza owners, but it's a really great site for Subies in general. Make sure you swing by the Regional forum, they're typically a good group of guys. (Hmm... for some reason, I think you're on this site already... as I recall someone with a car with problems relatied to yours [rotor problem]...)

0 Not allowed!

New Car Breakdown...

Originally posted by legalspeed
    The Magnum R/t with goodies was more than my Avalanche.
    Aren't you considered an 'employee' of GM?

I couldn't find one to test drive this weekend. The two dealerships we went to won't stock 'em 'cuz they SAY they can't sell 'em...

0 Not allowed!

New Car Breakdown...

Originally posted by nefarious
    my numbers where for a difrrent car.. the 06 g35 AWD is on par with the s40 at 33,000 new
    No shit! Never even thought of them. Just checked out the site. I'd hafta go sedan, but those are pretty slick. Not big on the exterior looks, but it is nice...

At this point, I'm leaning more the 'work route'. Which means I'll be most likely going for a wagon/SUV/crossover-type thing...

0 Not allowed!

New Car Breakdown...

Aren't you considered an 'employee' of GM?

I couldn't find one to test drive this weekend. The two dealerships we went to won't stock 'em 'cuz they SAY they can't sell 'em...
    Yip, Chrysler now too.

I like the Magnum,

0 Not allowed!
    LRRS\CCS\WERA #486

Just Registered

New Car Breakdown...

i got to drive an S60 2.5T AWD and must say i was very impressed...the volvo's are growing on me...

0 Not allowed!

New Car Breakdown...

No shit! Never even thought of them. Just checked out the site. I'd hafta go sedan, but those are pretty slick. Not big on the exterior looks, but it is nice...

At this point, I'm leaning more the 'work route'. Which means I'll be most likely going for a wagon/SUV/crossover-type thing...
    yeah and they drive so nice, the 2007 has a much nicer interior, and things like a 9 gig HD that you can load music into via a compact flash slot. im pretty sure it out powers and both the wrx and the T5.. i would deffintily go see the g35x in person and if ya dont like it.... wait til Nov and check out the 2007

0 Not allowed!

New Car Breakdown...

I'm shootin' for an '06 (whateverIget) 'cuz most places are tryin' like hell to get 'em off the lots...

I'm not big into bells & whistles either. It's mainly just a commuter for me, and I don't put much stock into that. Yeah, I want something on the nicer side of what I've been driving for the past 5 years. But I don't need all the extras...

yeah and they drive so nice, the 2007 has a much nicer interior, and things like a 9 gig HD that you can load music into via a compact flash slot. im pretty sure it out powers and both the wrx and the T5.. i would deffintily go see the g35x in person and if ya dont like it.... wait til Nov and check out the 2007

0 Not allowed!

New Car Breakdown...

what about the new Tahoes that get 21 mpg with the new 8 cylinder to four cylinder thingy...

Or the Trailblazer SS with the Vette engine msrp is like 37k for that...

0 Not allowed!
    2001 RC51!!!
    2007 Husky SMR 510 - no longer... blown tranny

New Car Breakdown...

Originally posted by snowborder
    what about the new Tahoes that get 21 mpg with the new 8 cylinder to four cylinder thingy...

Or the Trailblazer SS with the Vette engine msrp is like 37k for that...
    There's an extremely slim chance I'd buy any new Chevy other than a 'Vette or the '08 Camaro. I've been taught THAT lesson over & over. Gave 'em too many chances, lost every time...

BTW-I averaged 27 MPG highway, 22 MPG not-so-highway with the Murano yesterday. Approx 50 miles each way. And I'm rarely light-footed...

0 Not allowed!

New Car Breakdown...

somethin to be said about CVT .... less drag.

0 Not allowed!
    2001 RC51!!!

New Car Breakdown...

Originally posted by snowborder
    somethin to be said about CVT .... less drag.
    Jury's still out on that. I can't decide if I like it yet. My biggest issue with it is that this is the first year - to my knowledge - that they're standard in some vehicles. They DO back 'em by a 105,000 mile 'promise'...

0 Not allowed!

New Car Breakdown...

nah Nissan and Ford have been using CVT for about 3 or 4 years. The Maxima has had it since about 2003 I think.

The Ford 500 AWD has it... there's another choice for yah..... built on a Volvo Platform and drivetrain.

0 Not allowed!
    2001 RC51!!!

New Car Breakdown...

the bmw 325xi or whatever AWD gets some of the best performance raiting, and they even complain about the interior being boring...

of course a trip to the shop in the bmw isnt cheap

0 Not allowed!

New Car Breakdown...

the bmw 325xi or whatever AWD gets some of the best performance raiting, and they even complain about the interior being boring...

of course a trip to the shop in the bmw isnt cheap
    It's not really about perf. numbers. If I go by way of the sedan, performance isn't tops on my list of priorities. It's up there, but not the most important thing...

But BMW's are out, as are Fords & Chevys...

0 Not allowed!

New Car Breakdown...

Never thought of myself as a Volvo guy, but I bought one when they built a real car. Front wheel drive, all AL engine the list goes on. I had it for 9 years and 165k and never had to do a thing to it other than brakes and shocks. I didn't even sell it, I gave it to my Mom and it's still going. It still has the original exhaust. ( My kid did destroy the tape player by filling it with quarters. ) However, they are owned by Ford now so I don't know if they are still that good. Also, it was a station wagon, which apparently is uncool, who knew? Thanks for telling me. As for the XC, I've driven them, and as far as handling is concerned they don't come close to the 2 wheel drive. The CG is way high and you feel it, you also feel the extra weight under acceleration. During the time I had the car we had 5 100+ snow inch winters and I never got stuck, it went through anything. The money you pay for the four wheel drive is a complete waste, you'll never need it, and in normal conditions the 2x is faster and handles a lot better. It towed 3300lbs. One time my wifes old auto cross car died and I had to tow it home, I didn't even notice. My best friend always gets "Soobs", he have the same crazy list of repiars that you have way to early. Read up on the new Passat.

0 Not allowed!

New Car Breakdown...

Volkswagon is out...

Volvo is still built by Volvo. Everything but the tranny comes outta their plant in Norway (I think it's Norway). Volvo owns part of a transmission plant in Germany that builds the tranny in it. Ford has very little to do with them, other than financially. If anything Ford made it's way to the XC, I wouldn't have even looked at it...

Again though, performance isn't necessarily a deciding factor. If it were, a wagon/SUV wouldn't be a thought. I'd be shooting for a Z06 instead...

Thanks for your input!

0 Not allowed!

New Car Breakdown...

I'm pretty sure mine was made in Belgium, maybe. I know the older 40s were all made in Belgium. As for the interior, take a good look at a newer Volvo, and see if you can find a slightly older one, look at the leather, stitching and headliner if you care about that stuff.

Another interesting fun fact, when the first front wheel drive Volvos came out they were pretty much one of the most advanced cars you could get. One of the things they did was add AL wing arms, just like a modern day Audi or VW, obviously lowering the unsprung weight and improving handling and saftey. The original 850s had a very light feel. Well it turned out the old time Volvo and Mecedes drivers were turned off by the it and thought the car was unsafe because of it didn't feel like a truck anymore. So in 95 Volvo put in huge cast iron wing arms making the car feel more truck like or old car feeling.

I just remembered I did a ball joint at around 150k, not that you had to.

Too bad about the VW.

0 Not allowed!

New Car Breakdown...

I didn't read all these posts but if you are leaning towards a Volvo, this might help. This is an email I got from Volvo for being in that contest they had.

$500 Volvo Purchase/Lease Offer

As a special thank you for your participation in The Hunt, we would like to extend an exclusive $500 Volvo Purchase/Lease Offer.

Follow these simple steps for the $500 special allowance:

Visit your local Volvo retailer and experience the full line of Volvo vehicles.
    Purchase or lease any new Volvo.
    Go to www.volvoprogram.com for all the special offer details.
    Your first-time access code is: 2hLTeHnt (case sensitive).
    Download the claim form and submit with the required documents.
    Upon verification, your $500 check will be mailed directly to you.

It's not a lot of money but every little bit helps if you were already gona get one.

*Edit* nevermind I just read this "Note: Volvo Purchase/Lease Offer is valid for registered participants in The Hunt. Volvo Purchase/Lease Offer is not transferable. The Hunt participant name will be verified against The Hunt participant database."

0 Not allowed!

New Car Breakdown...

Originally posted by Daytona440
    i got to drive an S60 2.5T AWD and must say i was very impressed...the volvo's are growing on me...
    If you like that, try an S60 T5 or R. You'll like those even morer...

0 Not allowed!

New Car Breakdown...

Forester XT.. detuned STi motor.. total sleeper wagon/sport ute.

0 Not allowed!
    '01 Aprilia SL1000 Falco
    Quote Originally Posted by Tricky Mike View Post
    I'll always be greasy on the inside.

New Car Breakdown...

Originally posted by bump909
    Forester XT.. detuned STi motor.. total sleeper wagon/sport ute.
    Never been in the running. ANY Soob's pretty much out at this point...

0 Not allowed!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast