Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Results 1 to 12 of 12

car engine vs. truck engine design

  1. #1

    car engine vs. truck engine design


    what's different in the design and parts of a truck engine vs. a car engine?

    I know the difference in application (economy or performance vs. torque), but specifically, which parts are different, and how are they designed differently?

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

  2. #2
    Another Busa Riding Troll CAT3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Pueblo West, CO
    Posts
    110

    car engine vs. truck engine design

    Newer or older?

    Newer designs often use a larger cc'd head, lowering the compression, as well different cam profiles to build more torque down and less hp up high, thus to optimize pulling capability. Tuning of course is different due to those parts and again to optimize the economy of each specifics build.

    Older, trucks normally had 4bolt mains, where most cars were 2bolt mains on the crank. That along with chamber cc's for the head and compression, and cam. Intakes were often matched to the application, wide, short runners built excellent low end torque and killed off top end hp.

    Hope this helps.

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    The Big CAT rides the fastest bird!

    Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American GI. One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

  3. #3
    Just Registered Wishbone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Worcester
    Age
    38
    Posts
    3,738

    car engine vs. truck engine design

    Quote Originally Posted by CAT3 View Post
    Newer or older?

    Newer designs often use a larger cc'd head, lowering the compression, as well different cam profiles to build more torque down and less hp up high, thus to optimize pulling capability. Tuning of course is different due to those parts and again to optimize the economy of each specifics build.

    Older, trucks normally had 4bolt mains, where most cars were 2bolt mains on the crank. That along with chamber cc's for the head and compression, and cam. Intakes were often matched to the application, wide, short runners built excellent low end torque and killed off top end hp.

    Hope this helps.

    That hits the nail right on the head.

    Are you looking to swap a motor in something? If so I bet if you told us what you plan on doing some folks here could give good suggestions


    Also

    Quote Originally Posted by 02Telefonica View Post
    I also think you single handedly have created some of the most random, awkward posts I've seen on any forum

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    ~ Life passes most people by while they're busy making grand plans for it.~

  4. #4
    Dic on
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Posts
    14,642

    car engine vs. truck engine design

    Quote Originally Posted by CAT3 View Post
    Newer or older?

    Newer designs often use a larger cc'd head, lowering the compression, as well different cam profiles to build more torque down and less hp up high, thus to optimize pulling capability. Tuning of course is different due to those parts and again to optimize the economy of each specifics build.

    Older, trucks normally had 4bolt mains, where most cars were 2bolt mains on the crank. That along with chamber cc's for the head and compression, and cam. Intakes were often matched to the application, wide, short runners built excellent low end torque and killed off top end hp.

    Hope this helps.

    You had to go and ruin it by answering him didn't you?


    That has to be one of the dumbest questions I have ever heard. I would think someone might at least say WHY they want to know. This isn't fucking wickipedia fer christ's sake.


    derek

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "Too bad ponies are assholes."

    OXX

  5. #5
    Dic on
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Posts
    14,642

    car engine vs. truck engine design

    Quote Originally Posted by Bhavesh View Post
    what's different in the design and parts of a truck engine vs. a car engine?

    I know the difference in application (economy or performance vs. torque), but specifically, which parts are different, and how are they designed differently?

    Sigh, they;re bigger.

    What hairbrained idea have you come up with? Gonna stuff a Dodge 3500 in a civic or something? I gotta hear this one.

    This rates up there with selling stuff you found in college dorms after the semester was over.

    :-)

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "Too bad ponies are assholes."

    OXX

  6. #6
    Just Registered beet's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Meriden CT
    Posts
    11,630

    car engine vs. truck engine design

    I would love to drop a big motor in my Accent.
    But i do love my 27 mpg around town, 35-40 high way

    Quote Originally Posted by Degsy View Post
    Sigh, they;re bigger.

    What hairbrained idea have you come up with? Gonna stuff a Dodge 3500 in a civic or something? I gotta hear this one.

    This rates up there with selling stuff you found in college dorms after the semester was over.

    :-)

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    www.bostonmoto.com

    Forum Rules
    Heres a condom. I figured since youre acting like a dick, you should dress like one too.

  7. #7
    Dic on
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Posts
    14,642

    car engine vs. truck engine design

    Quote Originally Posted by Degsy View Post
    Sigh, they;re bigger.

    What hairbrained idea have you come up with? Gonna stuff a Dodge 3500 in a civic or something? I gotta hear this one.

    This rates up there with selling stuff you found in college dorms after the semester was over.

    :-)
    Wow, I was in a bad mood last night, huh?

    That's what quitting smoking and drinking half a bottle of bacardi will do for ya.

    sorry

    degs

    (it's still a stupid question though)

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "Too bad ponies are assholes."

    OXX

  8. #8

    car engine vs. truck engine design

    **double post**

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

  9. #9

    car engine vs. truck engine design

    I really didn't have an idea in mind, I'm just trying to figure out the differences for when I build something down the road.

    It first came up when my friend told me he was putting a ford 460 into a mustang; which was never available for mustang. It was only found in trucks and some big luxury cars, so I'm just trying to learn what it takes to turn the truck motor into a race car motor (because he really doesn't know).

    Also, I have a tacoma and it's designed for torque (2.7l 4-cyl). If I swapped out a smaller head with a different cam profile, would it accelerate like a car (ie. camry has a 2.2 4-cyl)? Not that I would, but I'm just curious...


    Quote Originally Posted by Degsy View Post
    You had to go and ruin it by answering him didn't you?


    That has to be one of the dumbest questions I have ever heard. I would think someone might at least say WHY they want to know. This isn't fucking wickipedia fer christ's sake.


    derek
    why is it so bad to ask a Q like that? this is off-topic discussion and everyone around here seems to be a know-it-all

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

  10. #10

    car engine vs. truck engine design

    Quote Originally Posted by Degsy View Post
    Wow, I was in a bad mood last night, huh?

    That's what quitting smoking and drinking half a bottle of bacardi will do for ya.

    sorry

    degs

    (it's still a stupid question though)
    oops, read this post after I responded...but no offense taken

    otherwise, this is NESR...I expect it

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

  11. #11
    Angry Gumball RandyO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    Farmington, NH
    Age
    67
    Posts
    13,828

    car engine vs. truck engine design

    Quote Originally Posted by Bhavesh View Post
    460 into a mustang
    I once saw a 460 in a Pinto


    biggest problem with stuffing a big cast iron v-8 into a small unibody car is the weight of the engine is more than the structure of the car is designed to handle before you even think about the power that the structure is not designed to handle

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    RandyO
    IBA#9560
    A man with a gun is a citizen
    A man without a gun is a subject

  12. #12
    calm like a bomb mikeb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    granite state
    Posts
    3,630

    car engine vs. truck engine design

    Quote Originally Posted by RandyO View Post
    I once saw a 460 in a Pinto


    biggest problem with stuffing a big cast iron v-8 into a small unibody car is the weight of the engine is more than the structure of the car is designed to handle before you even think about the power that the structure is not designed to handle

    i've seen this done many times at new england dragway. sbc in chevettes, vega's etc.. wedge the biggest motor in the smallest car you can. weld the sub frame up and some stiffer front springs.

    behavesh i don't find this question stupid at all. as its been said the heads and cam are designed for more tourqe in truck appications. leave that yota motor alone though. you want more power from it buy a v6 taco.

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Similar Threads

  1. Engine Ice
    By bostongixxer in forum Pit Area
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 08-23-07, 04:40 PM
  2. Yes, wow, you can rev your engine.
    By JeffL in forum General Bike Related
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 04-17-06, 06:45 PM
  3. I need an engine
    By Nikon in forum Off-Topic
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 01-04-05, 09:41 AM
  4. Engine Swaps?
    By Honclfibr in forum Bike Maintenance
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 11-30-03, 10:46 AM
  5. 94 FZR ENGINE
    By tiller in forum General Bike Related
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-02-02, 08:48 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •