Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

car engine vs. truck engine design

what's different in the design and parts of a truck engine vs. a car engine?

I know the difference in application (economy or performance vs. torque), but specifically, which parts are different, and how are they designed differently?

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Newer or older?

Newer designs often use a larger cc'd head, lowering the compression, as well different cam profiles to build more torque down and less hp up high, thus to optimize pulling capability. Tuning of course is different due to those parts and again to optimize the economy of each specifics build.

Older, trucks normally had 4bolt mains, where most cars were 2bolt mains on the crank. That along with chamber cc's for the head and compression, and cam. Intakes were often matched to the application, wide, short runners built excellent low end torque and killed off top end hp.

Hope this helps.

The Big CAT rides the fastest bird!

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American GI. One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Quote Originally Posted by CAT3 View Post
    Newer or older?

Newer designs often use a larger cc'd head, lowering the compression, as well different cam profiles to build more torque down and less hp up high, thus to optimize pulling capability. Tuning of course is different due to those parts and again to optimize the economy of each specifics build.

Older, trucks normally had 4bolt mains, where most cars were 2bolt mains on the crank. That along with chamber cc's for the head and compression, and cam. Intakes were often matched to the application, wide, short runners built excellent low end torque and killed off top end hp.

Hope this helps.

That hits the nail right on the head.

Are you looking to swap a motor in something? If so I bet if you told us what you plan on doing some folks here could give good suggestions

Also

Quote Originally Posted by 02Telefonica View Post
    I also think you single handedly have created some of the most random, awkward posts I've seen on any forum

~ Life passes most people by while they're busy making grand plans for it.~

Dic on

Quote Originally Posted by CAT3 View Post
    Newer or older?

Hope this helps.

You had to go and ruin it by answering him didn't you?

That has to be one of the dumbest questions I have ever heard. I would think someone might at least say WHY they want to know. This isn't fucking wickipedia fer christ's sake.

derek

"Too bad ponies are assholes."

OXX

Dic on

Quote Originally Posted by Bhavesh View Post
    what's different in the design and parts of a truck engine vs. a car engine?

I know the difference in application (economy or performance vs. torque), but specifically, which parts are different, and how are they designed differently?

Sigh, they;re bigger.

What hairbrained idea have you come up with? Gonna stuff a Dodge 3500 in a civic or something? I gotta hear this one.

This rates up there with selling stuff you found in college dorms after the semester was over.

:-)

OXX

I would love to drop a big motor in my Accent.
    But i do love my 27 mpg around town, 35-40 high way

Quote Originally Posted by Degsy View Post
    Sigh, they;re bigger.

What hairbrained idea have you come up with? Gonna stuff a Dodge 3500 in a civic or something? I gotta hear this one.

This rates up there with selling stuff you found in college dorms after the semester was over.

www.bostonmoto.com

Forum Rules
    Heres a condom. I figured since youre acting like a dick, you should dress like one too.

Dic on

Sigh, they;re bigger.

Wow, I was in a bad mood last night, huh?

That's what quitting smoking and drinking half a bottle of bacardi will do for ya.

sorry

degs

(it's still a stupid question though)

OXX

**double post**

I really didn't have an idea in mind, I'm just trying to figure out the differences for when I build something down the road.

It first came up when my friend told me he was putting a ford 460 into a mustang; which was never available for mustang. It was only found in trucks and some big luxury cars, so I'm just trying to learn what it takes to turn the truck motor into a race car motor (because he really doesn't know).

Also, I have a tacoma and it's designed for torque (2.7l 4-cyl). If I swapped out a smaller head with a different cam profile, would it accelerate like a car (ie. camry has a 2.2 4-cyl)? Not that I would, but I'm just curious...

You had to go and ruin it by answering him didn't you?

That has to be one of the dumbest questions I have ever heard. I would think someone might at least say WHY they want to know. This isn't fucking wickipedia fer christ's sake.

derek
    why is it so bad to ask a Q like that? this is off-topic discussion and everyone around here seems to be a know-it-all

Wow, I was in a bad mood last night, huh?

That's what quitting smoking and drinking half a bottle of bacardi will do for ya.

sorry

degs

(it's still a stupid question though)
    oops, read this post after I responded...but no offense taken

otherwise, this is NESR...I expect it

Quote Originally Posted by Bhavesh View Post
    460 into a mustang
    I once saw a 460 in a Pinto

biggest problem with stuffing a big cast iron v-8 into a small unibody car is the weight of the engine is more than the structure of the car is designed to handle before you even think about the power that the structure is not designed to handle

RandyO
    IBA#9560
    A man with a gun is a citizen
    A man without a gun is a subject

Quote Originally Posted by RandyO View Post
    I once saw a 460 in a Pinto

biggest problem with stuffing a big cast iron v-8 into a small unibody car is the weight of the engine is more than the structure of the car is designed to handle before you even think about the power that the structure is not designed to handle

i've seen this done many times at new england dragway. sbc in chevettes, vega's etc.. wedge the biggest motor in the smallest car you can. weld the sub frame up and some stiffer front springs.

behavesh i don't find this question stupid at all. as its been said the heads and cam are designed for more tourqe in truck appications. leave that yota motor alone though. you want more power from it buy a v6 taco.