Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Wanted: a car-exhaust repair guy near Danvers

Wanted: a car-exhaust repair guy near Danvers

My daughter's 2006 Corolla needs minor exhaust work. The pipe that meets the muffler has separated from its flange. Unfortunately, it's one piece from there to the headers, and includes the cat. (!!!)

Does anyone know a place where I can have that part of the pipe cut out and replaced? (Monro wanted $1,400 for the job, cuz they would have had to replace the entire piece.)

Thanks in advance!

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Go fast. Have fun. Repeat.

Re: Wanted: a car-exhaust repair guy near Danvers

Have you checked out what Rock Auto has for parts?

Lifer

Lous in reading

Lifer

Lou's custom exhaust, there's one in reading, maybe one closer. They charged me 60 to do just that, cut the exhaust near a flange and weld in a str8 pipe.

Lifer

Wanted: a car-exhaust repair guy near Danvers-0227171445-jpg

Quote Originally Posted by dontpanic View Post
    Monro wanted $1,400 for the job, cuz they would have had to replace the entire piece
    This is why I never make any damn money
    I weld these all the time with a new piece of stainless pipe to replace the flanges for fifty bucks-ish. Sorry I can't help due to geographical limitations, you'll find someone as long as you know exactly what you need done, and are patient and polite.

99 + 02 SV650 ex-race - 91 FJ1200 street - 03 KDX220R woods - 12 WR450F motard/ice

Quote Originally Posted by carsick View Post
    This is why I never make any damn money
    I weld these all the time with a new piece of stainless pipe to replace the flanges for fifty bucks-ish. Sorry I can't help due to geographical limitations, you'll find someone as long as you know exactly what you need done, and are patient and polite.
    If you are doing any reasonable stainless welding for less than $150 any local welder would accuse you of undercutting them.
    It also means you could be building some very appreciative and possibly reliable customers.

I'm sure you are aware of this.

To be clear, I am MIG welding (using pedestrian ER70S6 mild steel wire) a short length of repurposed 316L 2" OD stainless tubing to the OEM T409 stainless pieces after removing the junk flanges, donut gasket, and spring bolts by using a cutoff wheel and/or Sawzall. I realize the factory designed joint is there to allow flex and twist, but conversely I've seen no failures after years of doing this. I would expect more compensation if I had to cut the butted sections perfectly square, deburr them, sand the passive layer off, clean the inside of the tubes, purge the assembly with argon, and TIG a bead with perfect penetration and no undercutting, leaks, or voids. It IS kind of a bitch though welding overhead on dirty and misaligned pieces when you're on the back of the pipe and working by feel and sound

There aren't any local welders of the type you're describing that would work on the shit I do. There are several across the street that work for my former employer, fabbing miles of food grade line. There's one a few miles away that repairs maple sugaring equipment. Both TIG, which is way too slow and fancy for a rotten old car. I have a monopoly! Thinking about getting a TIG setup though. For work. Totally not for motorcycles

99 + 02 SV650 ex-race - 91 FJ1200 street - 03 KDX220R woods - 12 WR450F motard/ice

Go to Meineke Muffler on Highland Ave in Salem. Ask for the owner Paul and tell him Nick sent you. They will do small jobs like yours without recreating the whole system.

Lou's behind Lynnway.
    Stealership wanted 1200, I was in and out $160 bucks.

Bentwater craft brewer next door too!

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Great stuff, thanks, guys!

...except that comment about the "rotten old car." That hurt.

Quote Originally Posted by dontpanic View Post
    Great stuff, thanks, guys!

...except that comment about the "rotten old car." That hurt.
    Glad you got it fixed!
    I of course meant MY rotten old cars (and customers.) I need to start looking at repairs in the light of what it's worth to people, not what I think they can afford.