Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Car / office seat support for lower back pain

Car / office seat support for lower back pain

So I drive a lot, 35k+ miles a year. Itís huge part of my job and for the longest time I didnít mind. I honestly still donít besides my body (getting old-er sucks) complaining.
    I also spend a decent amount of time work at a desk (with not the greatest chairs).
    Iím experiencing a lot of lower back pain - dead center lately. I can tell it gets worse in days I spend too much time in the car or a full 12 hour day in the office.
    I know the right solution is exercise but honestly my lifestyle has turned very inactive since becoming a parent and I doubt this will change in the near future.
    While doing some research I came across this on amazon: Everlasting Comfort Seat Cushion for Office Chair - Tailbone Pain Relief Cushion - Coccyx Cushion - Sciatica Pillow for Sitting (Black) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01EBDV9BU..._WhUCEbVE33S10

Has anyone used this or anything similar? If I need a different one for the car and the office I wouldnít mind as long as they work.

0 Not allowed!

Re: Car / office seat support for lower back pain

My experience: You are probably slumping a bit, easily done at the desk or in a car. Try to keep your shoulders pinned to the back of your seat/chair. Move your car seat closer to the wheel if you have to and take the arms off your chair or get a chair with shorter arms so you can get it closer to your desk and limit the reaching to the keyboard. If you feel you need a cushion, get something that lifts your legs at your knees a bit. This will push you back in your chair and help with keeping your shoulders back.
    Also, stretch. Lower back pain is caused a ton by tight hamstrings from limited motion. Anytime you are sitting your knees are bent and allows your hamstrings to tighten. That tightness can transfer to the top of the hamstring into your glutes and that will pull your lower back. Any time you stand up at the desk or out of the car, stretch, reach down and touch your toes, lung, something. I lived with back pain for years thinking it was age. Then I started doing yoga and within a month the pain was gone. And I probably have improved my Chi. When I figure out what the Chi does I'll test it and let you know.

1 Not allowed!
    Dad's Dream: Earn enough money to live the life that his wife and kids do.

How old are you, 80?

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Falko View Post
    My experience: You are probably slumping a bit, easily done at the desk or in a car. Try to keep your shoulders pinned to the back of your seat/chair. Move your car seat closer to the wheel if you have to and take the arms off your chair or get a chair with shorter arms so you can get it closer to your desk and limit the reaching to the keyboard. If you feel you need a cushion, get something that lifts your legs at your knees a bit. This will push you back in your chair and help with keeping your shoulders back.
    Also, stretch. Lower back pain is caused a ton by tight hamstrings from limited motion. Anytime you are sitting your knees are bent and allows your hamstrings to tighten. That tightness can transfer to the top of the hamstring into your glutes and that will pull your lower back. Any time you stand up at the desk or out of the car, stretch, reach down and touch your toes, lung, something. I lived with back pain for years thinking it was age. Then I started doing yoga and within a month the pain was gone. And I probably have improved my Chi. When I figure out what the Chi does I'll test it and let you know.
    Nailed it (although I can't attest to the yoga, and I have no idea what Chi is). Coming from a chronic back pain sufferer, I don't believe a comfortable chair nor seat exists. Posture while seated/driving/riding CAN alleviate a TON of discomfort. Stretching comes in a close second. And direct heat does wonders - thank goodness for heated seats!

Even correcting your walking habitse can help. I had to learn how to walk differently too. Heal-to-toe, toes pointed straight ahead...shit like that (not pidgeon toe, no duckfooting).

And of course, there are day/weeks when nothing will help. Get used to it, kid. But try to minimize the discomfort & flare-ups.

0 Not allowed!
    Did you grit your teeth and try to look like Clint Fuckin' Eastwood?
    Or did you lisp it all hangfisted like a fuckin' flower?

Foam rollers for your back and hammys work wonders too.

0 Not allowed!
    Dad's Dream: Earn enough money to live the life that his wife and kids do.

Quote Originally Posted by Falko View Post
    Foam rollers for your back and hammys work wonders too.
    If you can find someone to help you out and your back can handle it, rolling pins work wonders too! I prefer the marble ones myself. But be careful of how much pressure you can handle.

0 Not allowed!
    Did you grit your teeth and try to look like Clint Fuckin' Eastwood?
    Or did you lisp it all hangfisted like a fuckin' flower?

Tried a standing desk? Preeeeeetty neeeaaato.

0 Not allowed!

not for the automobile, but probably best choice for office

0 Not allowed!
    RandyO
    IBA#9560
    A man with a gun is a citizen
    A man without a gun is a subject

Quote Originally Posted by nhbubba View Post
    Tried a standing desk? Preeeeeetty neeeaaato.
    I work out of multiple locations so that makes it not possible.

Is slumping having my shoulders lean forward and look like Quasimodo? Yes I do thaT ALOT

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by SteveM View Post
    How old are you, 80?
    Not on paper but my body has gone through some things

0 Not allowed!

Lifer

I'm a professional sitter who unfortunately needs to be very picky about my seating.

Not all chairs are suited for everyone, and ergonomic isn't a one size fits all solution. Some chairs are available in different sizes. You want a highly adjustable chair as well. Seat pan slide forward/backward, tilt, adjustable lumbar support, adjustable arm rests etc. Make sure your desk is the 'right' height and same with the monitor. Also, use a monitor. Don't slump over at a laptop screen. The 'ergonomically correct' bolt up right posture with elbows and knees at 90 degrees has never worked for me, and I don't really observe anyone who sits for lengths of time to actually hold that kinda position. I never had success with the type of seat pad you're looking at, because they offset the natural curve of the seat, and often cause the pelvis to rotate to a different, weirder angle.

In the car, I find it's mostly about getting the lumbar dialed. Way too many econo-boxes have flat as a board lumbar and it's like a torture device. Driver's seat is a buying decision for me. Experiment with a thick sock or foam roll etc on your current seat if you have no adjustment option.

Spring time is the worst for me. Even if I tried staying active over the winter, it's never enough. My core gets weak, my lower back stiffens, and the tendons throughout my pelvis shorten up. The fix is exercise. Google for core/lower back physical therapy. Some of this is basically yoga without the spirit animals.

0 Not allowed!
    Last edited by aldend123; 03-19-20 at 10:58 AM.
    02 Aprilia Futura
    86 GPz900R

I'll second what has already been said. It is surprising how a very little amount of time stretching along with some simple core exercises can make a huge difference. Heat definitely helps when hopping into cold car seats. Cold seems to help after a day of driving though (for me) not as much as taking frequent stretch breaks. Bench seats seem to help more than bucket seats.

0 Not allowed!

Posture (I say as I'm slouching in my office chair now.)

+1 on sitting position when driving, my seat back is nearly vertical. In addition it puts you in a better position to control the vehicle and see better.

As far as the yoga goes....this routine with a few additions has done wonders for my lower back. Video is 20 minutes but once you learn the flow it it takes about 10-12.

0 Not allowed!
    I went to MMI I know what Im doing here chief

Remember, you're watching it for the content. Focus on the content.

0 Not allowed!