Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

CAR REPO

CAR REPO

my idiot cousin just had his new car repo'ed after not paying for it for supossedly 4 months...now what happens? im sure he is still gonna have to pay...but how much? this is all new to me, anyone have any input.

thanks!

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Re: CAR REPO

he can call the bank the loan is from and try and make a deal with them but they want the money. he is screwed in the long run.

The bank will auction the car for well less than it's worth, and then come at him for the balance. Fun.

what kind of car is it i might have to keep a eye out for it.

first find out who the loan is with. If it is from one of the big 3 finance companies..(ford credit, GMAC, etc), then he might be able to get away with paying the outstanding balance and the repo fees. Then the company will get him a letter to allow him to get it back from the repo company.

When I worked for ford they would allow this, called it a reinstatement.
    If you can let me know what finance company it is I might be able to help.

I like cats.......but I can't eat a whole one by myself.

ITS A 07 BLACK ALTIMA....HE IS PRETTY SURE THAT THE FINANCE COMPANY IS AMERICREDIT??

Quote Originally Posted by PMPDVL View Post
    ITS A 07 BLACK ALTIMA....HE IS PRETTY SURE THAT THE FINANCE COMPANY IS AMERICREDIT??
    have him call an see if they will reinstate the loan. Usually they will do this, for the payment of the outstanding amount to date, plus the repo fees. Then they usually put him on a strict schedule, where the payments need to either be wired in,(Western union, moneygram) or paid in advance of the due date.

Check to see when the car was picked up, and what state the loan is governed by. Some states mandate a reinstatement process, others mandate a 10 day holding period berore they ship it to sell at the auction.
    Either way get on it fast. if they sell it at auction they will probably only get about 1/2 the value, and he will still have to pay the full loan.

Crash test dummy

If the car was popped in Mass and was traken from private property that he owned or rented (must be exclusive parking spot) it was an illegal repo. Also if there was a breach of the peace during the repo it was illegal. If it was a legal pop its up to the bank to either call in the whole loan or demand back payments and repo fees. The fees are normally about $500.00

Quote Originally Posted by CBRGuru View Post
    If the car was popped in Mass and was traken from private property that he owned or rented (must be exclusive parking spot) it was an illegal repo. Also if there was a breach of the peace during the repo it was illegal. If it was a legal pop its up to the bank to either call in the whole loan or demand back payments and repo fees. The fees are normally about $500.00
    I dont believe that this is true in MA..... they can repo from any public or private location, as long as thier access is not locked. They cant break a lock, be it a chain locked across the drive, or a garage door.
    But check into it, if it was an illegal repo then they have to return the car to you....good thinking....always worth a check.

In NH The bank legally has to hold the vehicle for 10 days so that the owner has a chance to pay the loan up to date.

His credit score just took a huge dive.

I had one late payment in 10+ years and they took 80 points out of my score for that one....I can only imagine what 4 late payments would do.

Tell your cousin to buy a car he can actually afford....that might help avoid these situations in the future.

It's going to hurt a lot worse if he doesn't pay up and get it back.

Say he owes 20K on it.

At auction it sells for 5K. He is responsible for that other 15K and has no car to show for it.

TIMMYDUCK

Crash test dummy

Quote Originally Posted by noudidnt View Post
    I dont believe that this is true in MA..... they can repo from any public or private location, as long as thier access is not locked. They cant break a lock, be it a chain locked across the drive, or a garage door.
    But check into it, if it was an illegal repo then they have to return the car to you....good thinking....always worth a check.
    Its def. true. Spent 5 years in the repo business and had to give back two units after infringing on that law. Hardly nobody knows the law, but if the debtor calls a lawyer they find out. If the repo man duped you into giving him your keys it probably won't hold up, cause the repo man can claim you gave consent by surrendering keys.

I have access to ManhiemOnline, so if it does go to auction I can track it for you .

TIMMYDUCK

Quote Originally Posted by TIMMYDUCK View Post
    It's going to hurt a lot worse if he doesn't pay up and get it back.

Say he owes 20K on it.

At auction it sells for 5K. He is responsible for that other 15K and has no car to show for it.
    that varies by the state

in CT they have to give you Fair Market Value for the vehicle. my brothers truck had 22k on the loan. they sold the truck for 10k. they had to give him a 8k credit for FMV.

David King | ASRA/CCS/WERA SE EX #484

"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both."
    -Benjamin Franklin

That's good Attorney General Blumenthal is a very fair guy to the consumer in CT.

The dealer or wholesaler who bought the car at auction still profits greatly.

TIMMYDUCK

many many solar circumnavigations ago I worked a year for a wrecker company , bank s would courier paperwork to us, we would track down location of car and repo it, our favorite method was to follow the vehicle to work, then repo it at work, cause usually they had them blocked from access at home but if they stopped as a convenience store along the way, we'd grab the car when they went into the store, ya, we were assholes , but they paid us good money, then we stored it, made good money for storing too

RandyO
    IBA#9560
    A man with a gun is a citizen
    A man without a gun is a subject