Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

carb tuners

Talking carb tuners

i have a jeep question for everyone...

I have this Motorcraft 2100 i am adapting to my jeep, everything is hooked up and plumbed, and i have reinstalled the thing ten times now and i am finally sure i have eliminated all vaccuum leaks.

It seems to be running lean. I have this newly rebuilt carb, going to my newly rebuilt motor, and then out a set of new Pace Setter headers (painted black) and on through the 2" exhaust....

while trying to tune this carb, the jeep sounds good, but the header tubes are glowing red at the block. the paint is almost completely cooked off at this point.

how worried should i be? I dont want to burn out my exhaust valves, how do i figure out if this is the proper burn in cycle for the headers or if the engine is running dangerously lean! I have played with the IMS screws through their full range of adjustment and it doesn't make a difference to the headers?! There is not much else to play with on this setup, its a pretty basic configuration.

what do you think?

where is TLRman hiding?

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Brent LRRS #772
    2006 KTM 560 SMR

Lifer

carb tuners

What do the plugs look like? I am assuming this is either the 4 or 6 cylinder. Have you verified no leaks at the intake to block gasket?

SSearchVT

For every action there is an equal but opposite reaction - and sometimes a scar...

carb tuners

plugs are white.

i just recently rechecked and retorqued all the intake manifold bolts, i am considering getting a new manifold gasket and redoing its installation.

Brent LRRS #772
    2006 KTM 560 SMR

Lifer

carb tuners

White is really bad!!!!! When running, what does the temp gauge say? Don't overheat and pop a head gasket on a new engine.

Check timing to make sure it isn't advanced too far, this can sometimes simulate a lean condition.

Check cam timing, long shot, but engine is newly rebuilt.

Do you have an EGR? and what kind of shape is it in?

To check for leaks at a gasket, start the engine, let it idle, and spray carb clean at the gaskets. If the engine tone changes you have found the leak. BE CAREFUL.

This should narrow it down to the carb.

Not sure about the make up of the carb, but is it capable of flowing enough for your block?

Hope this helps...

SSearchVT

For every action there is an equal but opposite reaction - and sometimes a scar...

Littering and........

carb tuners

Put lots of insurance on it, and go for a nice, long drive. Until it catches fire.

carb tuners

Originally posted by SSearchVT
    White is really bad!!!!! When running, what does the temp gauge say? Don't overheat and pop a head gasket on a new engine.

Check timing to make sure it isn't advanced too far, this can sometimes simulate a lean condition.

Check cam timing, long shot, but engine is newly rebuilt.

Do you have an EGR? and what kind of shape is it in?

To check for leaks at a gasket, start the engine, let it idle, and spray carb clean at the gaskets. If the engine tone changes you have found the leak. BE CAREFUL.

This should narrow it down to the carb.

Not sure about the make up of the carb, but is it capable of flowing enough for your block?

Hope this helps...
    engine temp: higher than it should be, but not overheating.

timing... set right.

cam timing... pretty sure thats right... it ran with this set up before i changed the carb.

EGR... currenlty blocked at the intake and header port... but under reconstruction with new valve and tube on order.

Vaccuum leaks... havent found any more with the method you noted, i think i have them all sorted out.

99% sure this carb is right for the jeep... a bajillion other jeepers swap to this unit. what i dont know is if the others that do the swap have the same headers, this exhaust may be flowing more than a stock exhaust manifold... my thoughts are to increase the jet size.

i have never installed headers before, is it possible that the paint that is peeling off is retaining heat in the upper tubes? its almost all cracked now and a lot of the paint is gone. i dont let it run too long usually cause i am paranoid about burning up the motor.

Brent LRRS #772
    2006 KTM 560 SMR

whats vac. gauge say

ya git in order 2 tune carbs you need a vac reading
    when did you put the headers on with the carb swap ?
    you got 2 give #s
    2 check for vac leaks ya need some ether
    spray it around your carb with the vac gauge
    tells all .

www.bostonmoto.com

Forum Rules
    Heres a condom. I figured since youre acting like a dick, you should dress like one too.

Lifer

carb tuners

The EGR being blocked off might be your problem. Under normal running you might have a lean condition because you don't have the exhaust gases being introduced.

Two options. 1. Rejet to fatten the mixture up. or 2. Get the EGR back and then see what happens.

As for the paint on the headers. It is usually installed to keep the headers from rusting in the box. Every set of painted headers I have installed burn the paint off within a month. Jet hot, and other coatings hold up a lot better.

Hope this helps.

SSearchVT

carb tuners

i have a vac guage hooked up... for what its worth i am pulling almost 23" of Hg with its current tune. it seems to be running real nice, its just the glowing red header tubes that got me concerned.

i expected the paint to peel, i dont know if the paint holds heat until it finishes peeling though?

i will be getting the new egr soon, i will give that a try next.

Brent LRRS #772
    2006 KTM 560 SMR

on some late mod. carbs i dont think

you can disable the egr not sure ask mark

www.bostonmoto.com

Forum Rules
    Heres a condom. I figured since youre acting like a dick, you should dress like one too.

good steady reading 23 is real good

allmost high

www.bostonmoto.com

Forum Rules

timing

check your timing

www.bostonmoto.com

Forum Rules

could b

a tad advanced

www.bostonmoto.com

Forum Rules

carb tuners

EGR....is not a problem.
    But some headers will get red at idle, esp if it's still on the choke...
    It's been a while, but the 2100 is a motorcraft 2 barrel, at 500 cfm?

I'll get back to you, or you can get back to me!

Either way....we can get it sorted out.

carb tuners

it is indeed a 2 bbl ... i think this one is set for around 400 cfm though. they were used on rustangs and cargo vans and trucks and all kinds of ford vehicles. supposed to be a real solid carb.

i have some new jets on the way, right now its got #47 and the jeep guy that sold me the thing says that what it usually needs, but he was at a loss too so he is sending me some #49's and some #50's to try out.

its a pretty basic carb, just two IMS screws. choke is still disabled, and all vaccuum to it is plugged except where my guage is hooked in (manifold vac).

it sounds nice when its running, those puppies are just glowing though and the temp guage looks hotter than it should be, but its not overheating.

i have a new egr valve on there, but no vaccum to it, so it should not be opening or causing any more problems.

i do not have an egr tube though... and cant get one?! do you know where one goes to buy something like that for a really old jeep?

ok i'll stop buggin ya for now. let me know what you think i might try!

Brent LRRS #772
    2006 KTM 560 SMR

carb tuners

First of all is this a 6 banger or an 8?
    So.....if you got headers, do they come with an EGR port on the headers, or is the EGR port coming out of the back of the cyl head.
    Now...if it does have a port, this is blocked, right?

The headers are getting red at idle, and not underway....right?

What was done with the engine on the rebuild...were the heads) Broached? (milled).

Main jets won't affect the idle, but when you turn the IMS's in all the way, does the RPM's Change, and engine gets rough?

PM me with yer #....I'll give ya a ring tonite....