Carpenter Ants

iTrader Score

Carpenter Ants

Over the summer I remodeled my master bath (1st floor). When I tore out the shower the exterior wall was crawling with carpenter ants. I had a local exterminator come in immediately. He sprayed the impacted areas, and then did the entire perimeter of the house inside and out. I haven't seen any evidence of them since, but then again I didn't see evidence of them before either. I have no experience with this, and wonder if I need to do some sort of follow up treatment in the Spring?

0 Not allowed!

iTrader Score
    1 (100%)

Re: Carpenter Ants

I found theses work very well./http://www.terro.com/terro-liquid-ant-baits-2-pack they have outside and inside bait traps. put four to six around the outside of the house and inside under the bathroom and kitchen sinks. Simple and cheap, the trick is not to kill any ants you see as they need to take the bait back to the nest.

0 Not allowed!
    Last edited by MUZ720; 11-12-17 at 07:30 PM.

iTrader Score

Thanks - they have these at Home Depot so I'll pick some up tomorrow. Seems carpenter ants don't necessarily go dormant in the winter, which is why they probably set up shop in a south-facing wall. I'll put some of these under the new bathroom and see what happens.

0 Not allowed!
    Last edited by Bonk!; 11-12-17 at 08:22 PM.

iTrader Score
    1 (100%)

Spring. for the outside traps.

0 Not allowed!
    Last edited by MUZ720; 11-12-17 at 08:28 PM.

iTrader Score

right - figured that!

0 Not allowed!

iTrader Score

I've used the terro stuff before too and it works well. I got this one, used it a handful of times over the years
    Access Denied

0 Not allowed!
    Matt
    '07 Yamaha FZ6 - Street
    '01 Honda CBR600F4i - Track
    '98 Suzuki DR350SE - Miscellaneous

High maintenance priss
    iTrader Score
    6 (100%)

We had the same problem in our new house, but we would see 10+ a day on the hottest days. It was pretty obvious that they were probably coming in near a water damaged window/framing.

We had a pro do interior & exterior perimeter sprays 2 summers in a row. II also did the Terro dust and Advion. Find how they are getting in if possible. Once it starts warming up (spring->summer) go outside at night and you might catch 'em. Then put 1" strips of this stuff along their path: Advion Ant Gel. The exterminator said that they are looking for water. If you have sweating or leaky pipes: get that sorted. After the 2 years of treatment: haven't seen a single ant since.

When we finally tore out a water damaged window this year: bottom of 3 stud cavities filled with carcasses.

0 Not allowed!

iTrader Score
    2 (100%)

Carpenter ants usually only cause damage and get in when there is wet wood. Once they get in, they are worse than termites.

If it was in your bathroom, more than likely it was a leaky shower surround or toilet wax ring. Double check that water is not getting in from the outside somehow.

0 Not allowed!

12 Ducati Multi, 09 R1, 15 KX450F sumo, YZ450F tard, 93 Kawi KDX 250

LRRS/CCS #666
    Thank you to my sponsors: Sidi / Woodcraft / Fast Frank Racing / AMSOIL / Dunlop

iTrader Score

Spray your foundation every couple of months with a carpenter and spray. They don't fly to your house, they crawl up the exterior. If you have the spray on the foundation, they will not typically cross it.

1 Not allowed!
    Dad's Dream: Earn enough money to live the life that his wife and kids do.

iTrader Score

Quote Originally Posted by sdog30 View Post
    Carpenter ants usually only cause damage and get in when there is wet wood. Once they get in, they are worse than termites.

If it was in your bathroom, more than likely it was a leaky shower surround or toilet wax ring. Double check that water is not getting in from the outside somehow.
    The shower I tore out was a rotted mess. That's where the biggest concentration was.

0 Not allowed!

iTrader Score
    2 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Bonk! View Post
    The shower I tore out was a rotted mess. That's where the biggest concentration was.
    Usually if it's isolated like that from a leak, if you cut out all the rotted and infested wood and fix the leak (i.e. new shower that is sealed) you should be all set.

0 Not allowed!

12 Ducati Multi, 09 R1, 15 KX450F sumo, YZ450F tard, 93 Kawi KDX 250

LRRS/CCS #666
    Thank you to my sponsors: Sidi / Woodcraft / Fast Frank Racing / AMSOIL / Dunlop

iTrader Score

It's cheap insurance to have the exterminator come back for another round. It might be overkill and it might not.

0 Not allowed!
    You suck at life. Why don't you quit?

My dad told me I could be anything I wanted when I grew up. So I became an Asshole.

Lifer
    iTrader Score
    1 (100%)

I had an acute infestation after being away from my new constructed house for 3 days. Cut a few overhanging branches on the house and had the exterminator spray.. they said to spray 3X a year and they should start turning around. If I found any with wings then I'd have to be worried about a nest. So far so good, haven't seen a single one again..... They sprayed for the second time just a month ago.

0 Not allowed!