Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Carrying 8' board in truck

Re: Carrying 8' board in truck

Quote Originally Posted by snwbrdr435 View Post
    It's always nice when the Patagucci is free. That said it's like paddling with cement blocks for hands and elastic bands holding them to your sides.
    Hence the lesser suit and electric vest. I think of it as a function extender that can be worn under any suit to great effect. Wanna paddle in a 4/3 on a mild winter day? or a 3/2 late into the fall? Put the vest on and go for it.

0 Not allowed!
    Paul_E_D

so guess what cheap AF idea I used today and liked:

take dusty patio umbrella that was used once & throw it into truck stake pocket and...voila!

surf shade!

worked remarkably well...no EZ up required...and I can take it to the desert

anyways...waves today in San Onofre were pretty small, mellow, and low momentum...caught a few though with a couple peeps in a surfing group

0 Not allowed!
    FREE $10 UBER CREDIT W' PROMO CODE --> PON41
    1994 Yamaha YZ250 CA Street Legal 2-smoke
    instagram @cali2t

Temps in the 80’s means beach weather...had to sneak out for a bit!

Waves were gentle, current was nagging, but sets were pretty far apart which meant lots of waiting...but that is okay because I was out of breath haha

I also tried out a portable micro fiber towel today...way less to carry and worked adequately to dry my feet after hosing off. My moto beach surf kit is almost complete

Also did another wheelie when I approached a group of 600’s rolling up PCH

0 Not allowed!
    Last edited by breakdirt916; 06-02-18 at 06:59 PM.
    instagram @cali2t

The SoCal heat wave (July/August) has begun!

While the locals melt and whine about 2 months of warmth I am taking advantage of nature’s air conditioning

4 foot waves formed and crashed quickly...was in the wrong spot a couple times paddling on top of a wave, then suddenly looked down and was a few feet above the water about to land

Be careful out there...but still felt good to mellow out and cool down...super short rides

And in true local SoCal fashion, I got agitated with all the crowds and kids near the shore. I swear they aim for the spot you are aiming for, and if you change direction they a for that. I got off quick to make sure I wasn’t anywhere close to shore

0 Not allowed!
    instagram @cali2t

With no Street bike in the stable, I danced around with the idea of a surf board rack on the mountain bike...seal beach is. 5 mile bike ride.

Google/YouTube shows some easy options with pvc

Then I did a 3.5 mile ride to the gym in the hills and could do it, but definitely not after a surf.

After my YZ comes back, I will try a cheap PVC mount for that to use this summer...YZ is perfect power for 15 minute ride down to the beach...free parking...and wheelies down PCH

0 Not allowed!
    instagram @cali2t

dying to see, ride, and surf pismo this summer...but will likely include 3 other humans plus luggage.

I usually toss the board in the bed, but I need the bed space for dirt bike and luggage since an '01 extra cab F150 barely has enough interior space for 4 adults. The only thing I can think of

the straps/rack are designed to mount to a rack...which my truck does not have.

google says just run the ends into the car and close the door, and

a twist on the straps to minimize noise/vibration

0 Not allowed!
    Last edited by breakdirt916; 07-15-18 at 03:23 PM.
    instagram @cali2t

been hot again...although only 82ish in long beach

but man the conditions were great at seal beach!

caught almost everything...so fun

saw 5-6' overhead waves in the jetty...and read about 12-15' waves at the wedge!

0 Not allowed!
    instagram @cali2t

Ok, you've been doing this a while. Time to paddle out past the break and catch the waves before they break. and welcome to your first trips over the falls!

0 Not allowed!
    Paul_E_D

oh yes, I have overthought this plenty of times

seems like surfing easy broken waves is like dual sporting - easy, fun, adequate. before they break in the 4-5' range to me sounds like mx...unless you learned properly, it can be dangerous.

on the other hand - maybe I just have fear...I would also like to be good enough to take surf trips to mexico and costa rica and enjoy them...I've had plenty of friends offer to take me out for lessons too. I've caught waves before in lessons (instructor pushed me in), and man does it feel like I'm sailing on ton of the world. but I dunno...so far I'm having fun just doing this...so who cares? just like my fire road runs on the yz...it's nothing like the rocky hill climbs in the open desert, but at least I'm getting out there.

0 Not allowed!
    Last edited by breakdirt916; 07-26-18 at 11:49 PM.
    instagram @cali2t

Don't get me wrong, it's good that you are out there. But it's like MX is a whole different sport when you start clearing the obstacles. Surfing is 90 percent learning about how to move in powerful water and 10 percent about standing on waves. Yes, you will get worked, it will feel like starting over, but the reward is a feeling like none other. Pick smaller, cleaner days and force yourself to catch only clean waves. Maybe you get skunked, maybe you only catch one the whole session, but keep at it. You've made it this far, you can get there.

2 Not allowed!
    Paul_E_D

Yea what Paul said, don't be a kook and catch the waves before they break!

But in all seriousness, glad your out there having fun!

1 Not allowed!

As the CA heat wave/fire state continues (and some d!ck bag burned down one of my riding areas ), beach temps were again stellar (78 on land 75 in the water) and I caught a couple waves for my mom and sister to see...kept to broken ones as they were nervous watching.

With a photographer on site (sister) I finally got the “Cali” surfer pic

Had to suck it in...31+ means belly...plus when my mom visits I eat 3 times as much

0 Not allowed!
    Last edited by breakdirt916; 08-14-18 at 12:06 AM.
    instagram @cali2t

so uh, I got these for free

heading out Friday to try them all out

0 Not allowed!
    instagram @cali2t

Now is when your reluctance to go out past the break and struggle comes back to bite. Won't work for poop on a shorter board. You will get bounced off or simply sink. Short boarding could be considered an entirely different sport.

1 Not allowed!
    Paul_E_D

yup...dead on

the fish was like swimming on a folded up piece of cardboard...didn't float well, hard to catch waves, & I forgot all about popping up

hopped back on the wavestorm and caught/popped on everything. my pop up was also super quick today...but it wasn't windy, currents weren't very strong, waves weren't very big, and the water was pretty calm/not choppy...waves were far apart so it was easy to paddle out.

on the plus side, the sunset was kind of cool...somehow it's just as bright in a picture as in person

and ya, I got a buddy who surfs every saturday at 6am and lives in Huntington Beach...he keeps demanding that I go out with him with a real board and adamant that he can show me where I need to be

0 Not allowed!
    Last edited by breakdirt916; 10-20-18 at 12:40 AM.
    instagram @cali2t

Looks beautiful. Jealous.

1 Not allowed!
    Paul_E_D

And go out with your buddy on a longboard and get started. You're long overdue.

1 Not allowed!
    Paul_E_D

Yeah I told him he wants me to start with just some fins and head out

0 Not allowed!
    instagram @cali2t

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234