Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Cell Phone Mount for Car

Cell Phone Mount for Car

i'm looking for a new cell phone mount for my phone...i bought the one below 4 years ago and stuck it to my dash...the problem is the car sits in the sun and heats up and the adhesive warms up and it finally gave out this year...i also have a portable garmin and a radar detector suction cupped to my windshield and both fall off from time to time in the heat...so i'm looking for another way to mount it in my car other than on the windshield or on the dash but still be at eye level (don't want to use a cup holder or a vent either)...was thinking of using the 12v port but it's down by the shifter so it would have to have a long arm...car is a '13 subaru legacy and phone is a iphone 8 with a speck case on it if that matters...just looking to see if anyone has any good ones that they like...i looked on the ram site and didn't find anything i like...thanks in advance

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

car interior photo
    Access Denied

0 Not allowed!
    bike: none but i have a seafoam green 125cc scooter
    Point37s Garage Sale Thread

Re: Cell Phone Mount for Car

I'm in a similar boat. I bought these magnetic mounts. They are really great. Slip the bit of steel plate in the phone case (which I use anyway), don't even bother with the adhesive. Then stick the magnetic base on your dashboard. Jump in the car and slap the phone onto the base and you are done. Grab and go on the other side.
    Problem is the adhesive doesn't hold up. Same situation as you. I haven't found a solution yet. Looking for a more aggressive adhesive I think.. or pop rivets into the dashboard. I dunno.

1 Not allowed!

I have had the most success with this specific cell phone magnetic mount.

2 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by nhbubba View Post
    I'm in a similar boat. I bought these magnetic mounts. They are really great. Slip the bit of steel plate in the phone case (which I use anyway), don't even bother with the adhesive. Then stick the magnetic base on your dashboard. Jump in the car and slap the phone onto the base and you are done. Grab and go on the other side.
    Problem is the adhesive doesn't hold up. Same situation as you. I haven't found a solution yet. Looking for a more aggressive adhesive I think.. or pop rivets into the dashboard. I dunno.
    thanks...i haven't really looked into magnetic mounts at all...i really like the holder on the one i have now...push into holder and the button on the back depresses and the sides snap down on the sides of the phone case...push the 2 buttons on the side and the sides extend back out and the phone is loose...phone is in there solid...the mounting to the car is my issue...i want to keep it up high but not use an adhesive on the dash or a suction cup or a cup holder or a vent or modify the car at all...which led me to the 12v ports...i have one in my arm rest which i have a 12v splitter in there to power my gps and radar detector...i also have a usb port and aux port in there which have an aux cable and a cell phone cable on them so everything is connected in there...so as you can imagine my car is a shitshow of cables everywhere...so i was looking at my 2nd unused 12v port located right in front of my shifter...maybe something like this...i just don't think the arm are long enough to get it up high enough for my liking and even if they were i would imagine it wouldn't be very stable

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B017N7N0TA...v_ov_lig_dp_it

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07NN7SP53...v_ov_lig_dp_it

Quote Originally Posted by virtualbong View Post
    I have had the most success with this specific cell phone magnetic mount.

thanks...i don't really want to have my phone in front of a vent but i may be able to be persuaded...if there was some type of offset clip for a vent i think i would like that better...are you still able to adjust the vent?

1 Not allowed!
    Last edited by Point37; 07-10-19 at 10:04 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Point37 View Post
    i haven't really looked into magnetic mounts at all...i really like the holder on the one i have now...push into holder and the button on the back depresses and the sides snap down on the sides of the phone case...push the 2 buttons on the side and the sides extend back out and the phone is loose...phone is in there solid...the mounting to the car is my issue...i want to keep it up high but not use an adhesive on the dash or a suction cup or a cup holder or a vent or modify the car at all...which led me to the 12v ports...i have one in my arm rest which i have a 12v splitter in there to power my gps and radar detector...i also have a usb port and aux port in there which have an aux cable and a cell phone cable on them so everything is connected in there...so as you can imagine my car is a shitshow of cables everywhere...so i was looking at my 2nd unused 12v port located right in front of my shifter...maybe something like this...i just don't think the arm are long enough to get it up high enough for my liking and even if they were i would imagine it wouldn't be very stable

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B017N7N0TA...v_ov_lig_dp_it

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07NN7SP53...v_ov_lig_dp_it

i don't really want to have my phone in front of a vent but i may be able to be persuaded...if there was some type of offset clip for a vent i think i would like that better...are you still able to adjust the vent?
    I love my vent mount. https://smile.amazon.com/SCOSCHE-IUH...-2-spons&psc=1

It's survived two cars and close to 100k of pounding over Boston roads in 3 years so far. The phone by the vent helps keep it cool in the summer as well. You do lose some functionality of the vent but it hasn't bothered me one bit.

Placing the phone in the center vent is ideal for me. Great location eye level that doesn't block the windshield and easy interaction with my right hand. I use the thing for hours so placement was pretty important to me.

The picture is of the mount when it was in my Camry.

Cell Phone Mount for Car-camry-mount-jpg

1 Not allowed!
    2012 Tiger 800, 2007 DR650, 2012 WR250R

Quote Originally Posted by e30addict View Post
    I love my vent mount. https://smile.amazon.com/SCOSCHE-IUH...-2-spons&psc=1

It's survived two cars and close to 100k of pounding over Boston roads in 3 years so far. The phone by the vent helps keep it cool in the summer as well. You do lose some functionality of the vent but it hasn't bothered me one bit.

Placing the phone in the center vent is ideal for me. Great location eye level that doesn't block the windshield and easy interaction with my right hand. I use the thing for hours so placement was pretty important to me.

The picture is of the mount when it was in my Camry.

Cell Phone Mount for Car-camry-mount-jpg
    thanks...i may end up going this way...i guess i have to measure how high up a 12v mount would get me...if it's not very high i may have to go this way...my 2 center vents are on each side of the radio and are tall and thin but if i can find a mount that can go near the top of the vent it may not block the bottom of the vent and still be usable

0 Not allowed!

One of my customers had a mount that inserted into his CD player.

Something like this? https://www.amazon.com/Crazefoto-Uni...gateway&sr=8-1

1 Not allowed!
    Last edited by golden chicken; 07-10-19 at 11:43 AM.
    What's the difference between a bolt and a screw?
    First you screw, then you bolt.

thanks...i don't really want to have my phone in front of a vent but i may be able to be persuaded...if there was some type of offset clip for a vent i think i would like that better...are you still able to adjust the vent?
    No, you basically cannot adjust the vent but it doesn't bother me at all. I like the vent because it is at the right height for me to view the map and it does not obstruct my windshield.

You should definitely consider going with magnetic vent mounts.

Btw. I hate the mounts that "grab" your cell phone. It's just so clunky looking and a complete eyesore when you don't mount your phone.

1 Not allowed!

This is the magnetic one that I use on all of our cars. Very convenient and they are made of billet aluminum so they look nice. Very strong magnet, they don't drop the phone.
    360 Degree Mosafe(R) Magnetic Car Mount Dashboard Holder For Cell Phone Universal | eBay

If you are having trouble with something sticking in your car, get the 3M trim adhesive tape, the black stuff with red backing. Clean the surfaces and install, it won't come off.

1 Not allowed!
    Dad's Dream: Earn enough money to live the life that his wife and kids do.

These vehicle specific mounts are my favorite - have them in all of my cars. They usually share a screw mount on the backside of a piece of trim.

PanaVise Products, Inc.

Not the cheapest and you have to buy the phone mount separately, but IMO they are as close to looking “factory installed” as you can get (if you care about that kind of thing).

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by golden chicken View Post

thanks...this may be an option...although i do still use my cd player from time to time...maybe i could stick the flat piece in the space above the little center compartment door

Quote Originally Posted by virtualbong View Post
    No, you basically cannot adjust the vent but it doesn't bother me at all. I like the vent because it is at the right height for me to view the map and it does not obstruct my windshield.

You should definitely consider going with magnetic vent mounts.

Btw. I hate the mounts that "grab" your cell phone. It's just so clunky looking and a complete eyesore when you don't mount your phone.
    so last night i sat in my car and looked at the 2 vents (i should have taken a photo from eye level) if you look at the car interior photo link in my first post the vent on the left of the radio is completely blocked by the steering wheel so that doesn't seem like a good option...magnetic vs the grabber mounts don't really bother me...my car is a shitshow of wires to begin with so it really doesn't bother me

Quote Originally Posted by Falko View Post
    This is the magnetic one that I use on all of our cars. Very convenient and they are made of billet aluminum so they look nice. Very strong magnet, they don't drop the phone.
    360 Degree Mosafe(R) Magnetic Car Mount Dashboard Holder For Cell Phone Universal | eBay

If you are having trouble with something sticking in your car, get the 3M trim adhesive tape, the black stuff with red backing. Clean the surfaces and install, it won't come off.
    thanks...i'd really rather not stick anything to the dash again...the one i had lasted 4 years but it also somewhat blocked the view of my clock...looking for another mounting method

Quote Originally Posted by petro View Post
    These vehicle specific mounts are my favorite - have them in all of my cars. They usually share a screw mount on the backside of a piece of trim.

PanaVise Products, Inc.

Not the cheapest and you have to buy the phone mount separately, but IMO they are as close to looking “factory installed” as you can get (if you care about that kind of thing).
    thanks...this is really clean and i like how it's installed...just not fond of the location...little too low for my liking

https://www.panavise.com/pdf_indash/75134-310.pdf

at the moment i'm leaning towards the cd player mount or a 12v mount if there is a high enough one...even if there is a vent mount that has an offset it would move the phone towards the interior of the car and block my view of the radio...so far the cd player mount is leading my list

0 Not allowed!

I had a panavise bracket in a couple cars long ago, when we had those dock-able satellite radio pucks back when. I forgot about those. They were great. Solid brackets, well thought out. One of those with a strong magnet base on them could be a really great solution.

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by golden chicken View Post

i think this is the way i may end up going...i like how the mounting point is at the base of the mount vs in the middle so it won't hang over my radio screen...it says the cd player will still function you just need to remove the mount to load another cd

0 Not allowed!

I have a quadlock case and made a vent mount adapter for it. I am a big fan of the quad lock.

1 Not allowed!
    -Alex
    I can resist everything but Pete's mom.

Quote Originally Posted by obsolete View Post
    I have a quadlock case and made a vent mount adapter for it. I am a big fan of the quad lock.
    thanks...they look pretty nice but i didn't see any mounts that would work for me

0 Not allowed!

This is what I use.

Cell Phone Mount for Car-ht_toyota_oculus_rift_jc_150115_12x5_992-jpg

1 Not allowed!

Why did I read an entire thread about cell phone holders.

3 Not allowed!

thanks...they look pretty nice but i didn't see any mounts that would work for me
    I took a magnetic vent mount and disassembled it. Then I stuck one of the posts they sell that you can mount any where to the vent pinch part of the mount. I wish they made a different car mount but the versatility is really cool. I made a battery that stacks under the phone and then mounts on my bike.

0 Not allowed!
    -Alex
    I can resist everything but Pete's mom.

Who the heck still uses CDs?!

0 Not allowed!
    What's the difference between a bolt and a screw?
    First you screw, then you bolt.

I like these, but don’t see anything great for your legacy

https://www.proclipusa.com/

0 Not allowed!
    2003 ZX7R
    1995 916

how about a gopro mount to the windshield LOL

0 Not allowed!
    FREE $10 UBER CREDIT W' PROMO CODE --> PON41
    1994 Yamaha YZ250 CA Street Legal 2-smoke :smoke: ** 2005 Kawasaki Ninja 500R **
    instagram @veshlife

ended up with this one...put it in the car this morning...so far i like it...solid hold, perfect placement and does not block anything i need to use/see...

0 Not allowed!

Didnít like the holder as much as my old one so I swapped them since the ball joint was the same size

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

0 Not allowed!