Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

New Cell Phone/Plan Decision/Questions

New Cell Phone/Plan Decision/Questions

so i'm currently with Verizon...i have 2 phones on my plan...1 is my iphone 5s which i'm still running ios 8.3 so it stays somewhat fast (upgrade ios = phone slows down due to new ios is designed for processor in new model phones and not the old phones) and the other phone is my parents dumb flip phone samsung knack...my wife is also with Verizon but she has her own plan with an iphone 6+...i get a 15% discount through work...she gets a 10% discount through her work...my plan has the old grandfathered unlimited data (only for my phone) and i pay for a 1000 text message plan (only for my phone) and we have 700 shared minutes between the 2 phones and it comes to about $126/month...never go over on voice minutes, never go over on messages and never have to worry about data

in the past i had done a phone switch to keep my plan with grandfathered unlimited data and get a new phone...i basically used the upgrade for the dumb phone to get a new then iphone 5s at the time (previously had an iphone 4) and put the dumb phone on my phone number for a day and then switched them back so i didn't have to get a new plan...not sure if this is even an option now

anyway the dumb phone is pretty worn out...ringer speaker is messed up so it doesn't ring loud anymore...one of the number keys is broken but still works...and my parents would like the ability to be able to text, receive/send photos and maybe emails...nothing crazy cause they are not even very good with their computer...my iphone 5s runs ok but not great...battery life sucks...some of the apps have upgraded to a point where i can't use them cause they aren't supported by ios 8.3 anymore so i have deleted them

i still have my old iphone 4 as well as my first ever flip cell phone lg vx8300...the iphone 4 is now basically a wifi device for internet radio, photos and sometimes used as a security camera...the lg vx8300 was a great flip phone for its time but i don't think i could just swap to that phone for my parents without changing my plan cause it does have some semi smart capabilities and i don't think i would anyway cause the camera isn't good and texting would suck...i think just adding texting would trigger me to need a new plan

so as far as i can tell i have a few options...probably stay with verizon due to the discount through work...

1. just have my parents get their own cell phone/plan and keep mine the way it is and pay for the extra phone and not use it cause i don't think i can delete it without changing my plan...maybe i can still use the upgrade switch to keep my grandfathered data plan or buy a used/refurbished phone and just connect it and take my iphone off the plan

2. dump my plan/phone and get a new plan and phone for myself and let my parents get their own plan/phone for themselves

3. dump my plan/phone and get a shared plan with my wife and let my parents get their own plan/phone for themselves

from what i understand the new "unlimited" plans get throttled at a certain usage...i'm also not loyal to apple...the only thing i would like to be able to transfer easily is contacts over to a new phone...old texts i'm fine with losing, email will come in on any phone, losing photos is fine (can always email certain ones to myself), losing calendar data is fine (i can reenter), i have no music on it (all on my 5th gen ipod classic video) and everything else is just an app...i'm not really sure if i'm currently getting throttled or not on my grandfathered data plan...i'm also not really sure how all of this crap works now cause don't you need to outright buy a cell phone?...i just hate these cell phone companies so i try to make my phones last as long as i can to not have to deal with the BS (just like i drive my cars into the ground)...not even sure what other brand phone i would go with if i didn't get an iphone...i like that ios doesn't freeze and works but apple is getting stupid with some things but i do already have a bunch of iphone chargers and i know apple holds your group texts hostage for a while when you go to another brand phone...it would be nice to have a headphone jack, removable battery (if those even exist anymore), good battery life, better camera and removable storage...i also don't need it to be the size of a tablet, maybe a little bigger than my 5s would be ok but def not as big as my wife's 6+...samsung seems good but i don't really know much about them or motorola, google, lg, etc.

any help from people knowledgeable in this stuff would be appreciated...thanks

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by Point37; 11-02-17 at 09:05 AM.
    bike: none but i have a seafoam green 125cc scooter
    Point37s Garage Sale Thread

Re: New Cell Phone/Plan Decision/Questions

As far as Verizon plans go, I'm on the new unlimited plan currently. I actually like the fact that at the touch of a button I can change my plan to whatever the fuck I want, whenever I want. No contracts, and you can "finance" your phone as part of your bill if you want. I'm currently on an iPhone 7 which adds something like $30/mo to my bill. After 15gb per billing cycle they throttle your hotspot usage down to 600k, which still does most basic tasks but sucks balls. This was a new thing after a ton of people (including myself) tried to use it as their main internet connection after the unlimited plans came out. Speed on the phone itself is unaffected as far as I can tell. All in all my bill with the phone "financed" is about $120/mo, but I can drop it down to limited data at any time which brings it down to about $90/mo if I wanted. With no contracts you can add/remove additional lines or devices whenever you want. That was handy when I booted my ex out the door last year. At this point IMHO it isn't really worth skirting around trying to stick with the grandfathered plan.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by RyanNicholson View Post
    As far as Verizon plans go, I'm on the new unlimited plan currently. I actually like the fact that at the touch of a button I can change my plan to whatever the fuck I want, whenever I want. No contracts, and you can "finance" your phone as part of your bill if you want. I'm currently on an iPhone 7 which adds something like $30/mo to my bill. After 15gb per billing cycle they throttle your hotspot usage down to 600k, which still does most basic tasks but sucks balls. This was a new thing after a ton of people (including myself) tried to use it as their main internet connection after the unlimited plans came out. Speed on the phone itself is unaffected as far as I can tell. All in all my bill with the phone "financed" is about $120/mo, but I can drop it down to limited data at any time which brings it down to about $90/mo if I wanted. With no contracts you can add/remove additional lines or devices whenever you want. That was handy when I booted my ex out the door last year. At this point IMHO it isn't really worth skirting around trying to stick with the grandfathered plan.
    thanks for this info...i don't think i've ever used my phone as a hotspot so that's not really an issue for me...i think that's why my they jacked up my plan price a while back, because people were doing that...it sounds like i should make the jump

Lifer

Quote Originally Posted by Point37 View Post
    so i'm currently with Verizon...i have 2 phones on my plan...1 is my iphone 5s which i'm still running ios 8.3 so it stays somewhat fast (upgrade ios = phone slows down due to new ios is designed for processor in new model phones and not the old phones) and the other phone is my parents dumb flip phone samsung knack...my wife is also with Verizon but she has her own plan with an iphone 6+...i get a 15% discount through work...she gets a 10% discount through her work...my plan has the old grandfathered unlimited data (only for my phone) and i pay for a 1000 text message plan (only for my phone) and we have 700 shared minutes between the 2 phones and it comes to about $126/month...never go over on voice minutes, never go over on messages and never have to worry about data
    Not upgrading the OS is a terrible idea from a security POV - especially being that far out of sync. Performance issues arising on the old platforms during big changes can happen, which they often correct. However, that doesn't sell press like stirring up a shit storm of gloom and doom. Having almost no space available also significantly hinders performance and battery life. But that's down to like the last ~3%. The phone needs an amount of free space to temporarily use for stuff. The difference between 20% available and 45% is likely insignificant. Battery life also goes to shit if you've got a ton of stuff that does automatic fetches, downloading, location tracking etc.

When I was on a grandfathered unlimited plan through ATT, I'd get text msgs warning me when I was approaching the throttling limit. I'm not sure I ever crossed the threshold. The throttling practice is controversial, and I thought was somewhat recently deemed illegal which is what led to a big push to get people off the unlimited plans. They might still threaten it, but never follow through?

I think cost-wise, you're better off being on a plan with your parents. Cost usually starts to drop on adding the 3rd phone.

Do you know how much data you're using? A lot of people don't need an unlimited plan.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    nedirtriders.com

Quote Originally Posted by aldend123 View Post
    Not upgrading the OS is a terrible idea from a security POV - especially being that far out of sync. Performance issues arising on the old platforms during big changes can happen, which they often correct. However, that doesn't sell press like stirring up a shit storm of gloom and doom. Having almost no space available also significantly hinders performance and battery life. But that's down to like the last ~3%. The phone needs an amount of free space to temporarily use for stuff. The difference between 20% available and 45% is likely insignificant. Battery life also goes to shit if you've got a ton of stuff that does automatic fetches, downloading, location tracking etc.

When I was on a grandfathered unlimited plan through ATT, I'd get text msgs warning me when I was approaching the throttling limit. I'm not sure I ever crossed the threshold. The throttling practice is controversial, and I thought was somewhat recently deemed illegal which is what led to a big push to get people off the unlimited plans. They might still threaten it, but never follow through?

I think cost-wise, you're better off being on a plan with your parents. Cost usually starts to drop on adding the 3rd phone.

Do you know how much data you're using? A lot of people don't need an unlimited plan.
    thanks...yea i know i'm taking a chance security wise...i just see the updates as forced obsolescence...they know the updates will cripple earlier processors so people have to buy new phones...i have shut off most of the stuff that slows it down...i am running out of space due to photos though (i have the 32GB model)

i am under 5GB since june but i was up near 18.5GB in may...no idea why...the online account doesn't let me see anything earlier than that...i'd have to go back in my paper bills

Last edited by Point37; 11-02-17 at 11:28 AM.

Lifer

thanks...yea i know i'm taking a chance security wise...i just see the updates as forced obsolescence...they know the updates will cripple earlier processors so people have to buy new phones...i have shut off most of the stuff that slows it down...i am running out of space due to photos though (i have the 32GB model)
    It does seem like they're a little premature in where they draw the cut-off line. However, from a software development and testing POV, it increases the difficulty in trying to support older stuff.

I know the space problem. Though a big part of my problem is I leave as many photos as possible on the phone as a 'third' backup. I should break that habit. But running very low on space stresses the device more than anything else I've seen.
    i am under 5GB since june but i was up near 18.5GB in may...no idea why...the online account doesn't let me see anything earlier than that...i'd have to go back in my paper bills
    Under Settings -> Cellular you should be able to get some stats on your data consumption. You can also reset the counter so you can observe a specific window of time. 18.5gig in a month for a single device seems pretty unusual, especially if you weren't aware of what caused it. Like downloading your entire music collection or an entire podcast archive ("Download all unplayed") over cellular.

nedirtriders.com

It does seem like they're a little premature in where they draw the cut-off line. However, from a software development and testing POV, it increases the difficulty in trying to support older stuff.

I know the space problem. Though a big part of my problem is I leave as many photos as possible on the phone as a 'third' backup. I should break that habit. But running very low on space stresses the device more than anything else I've seen.

Under Settings -> Cellular you should be able to get some stats on your data consumption. You can also reset the counter so you can observe a specific window of time. 18.5gig in a month for a single device seems pretty unusual, especially if you weren't aware of what caused it. Like downloading your entire music collection or an entire podcast archive ("Download all unplayed") over cellular.
    i do the same...i typically dump all my photos onto an external hard drive and copy them to my computer as well

yea that data tracker seems to be just like a trip meter in a car...it said 282GB which i assume is since the last time it was reset

Lifer

yea that data tracker seems to be just like a trip meter in a car...it said 282GB which i assume is since the last time it was reset
    This additional level of detail might only be available in newer versions

nedirtriders.com

Google's Project Fi or buy a couple refurb iPhone 5s' and go StraightTalk $45/month unlimited.

-Clayton
    2006 Suzuki SV650
    2004 Suzuki Vstrom 650
    2001 Kawasaki ZRX1200R
    1982 Honda CB750F Super Sport

An FYI, as far as your phone slowing down via your IOS updates, typically that's not the cause....

Slow iPhone? Apple’s iOS updates aren’t to blame

-Clayton
    2006 Suzuki SV650
    2004 Suzuki Vstrom 650
    2001 Kawasaki ZRX1200R

This additional level of detail might only be available in newer versions
    yea i don't have that level of detail on my phone

Quote Originally Posted by TheIglu View Post
    Google's Project Fi or buy a couple refurb iPhone 5s' and go StraightTalk $45/month unlimited.
    thanks...i'll look into those

An FYI, as far as your phone slowing down via your IOS updates, typically that's not the cause....

Slow iPhone? Apple’s iOS updates aren’t to blame
    i have a hard time believing this...ios updates bricked my iphone 4 and i've read that a lot of other people have had similar problems...i do have to remove some photos though...only 1.9GB of space left

Don't ask me I pay almost $300/mo it's insane

But I will mention, unless you're using cell data a LOT the unlimited plan probably isn't as big a deal as it seems. Also it's probably a good time to grab a used iPhone 6 as the prices are down and it's still a solid phone. I just sold one last month for $100, which was pretty low but they can be had around that price

05GSXR75005SV65090DR350

Quote Originally Posted by Tekime View Post

But I will mention, unless you're using cell data a LOT the unlimited plan probably isn't as big a deal as it seems. Also it's probably a good time to grab a used iPhone 6 as the prices are down and it's still a solid phone. I just sold one last month for $100, which was pretty low but they can be had around that price
    Thanks...yea I haven't upgraded in a while so I'd like to jump up to the latest and greatest so once the updates kick in it doesn't slow down

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am a happy CRICKET user, its ATT towers so GSM not compatible with Verizon phones

BUT

You can get 2 phones with 3gs for $60 / mo maybe $70, I have 4 phones 1 with 8g for $110 / month
    With the exception of Northern Maine It has been perfect

The calculus of hate

It is not that I should win it is that you should lose
    It is not that I succeed it is that you fail
    It is not that I should live it is that you should die

I mentioned using google/gmail/photos on NES. I use it for my main apps because that way I can switch phone easily.

As far as phones go, I have a pixel and it's good, but just didn't wow me overall. I was going to go with the new Pixel 2 XL, but all the initial reviews say that it has all sorts of problems.
    If I were going android now, I'd probably stick with Samsung, either the S8 or Note 8.
    If you want to stick with apple, then I'd either go 6s or 8plus. The 7 doesn't give you much at all over the 6s. The 7 plus adds the 2 lens camera though, so that's worth the jump over the 6 plus.

2003 ZX7R
    1995 916

Quote Originally Posted by Stromper View Post
    I am a happy CRICKET user, its ATT towers so GSM not compatible with Verizon phones

BUT

You can get 2 phones with 3gs for $60 / mo maybe $70, I have 4 phones 1 with 8g for $110 / month
    With the exception of Northern Maine It has been perfect
    thanks but probably sticking with verizon cause i've had good luck with them plus my 15% discount

Quote Originally Posted by LuvDog View Post
    I mentioned using google/gmail/photos on NES. I use it for my main apps because that way I can switch phone easily.

As far as phones go, I have a pixel and it's good, but just didn't wow me overall. I was going to go with the new Pixel 2 XL, but all the initial reviews say that it has all sorts of problems.
    If I were going android now, I'd probably stick with Samsung, either the S8 or Note 8.
    If you want to stick with apple, then I'd either go 6s or 8plus. The 7 doesn't give you much at all over the 6s. The 7 plus adds the 2 lens camera though, so that's worth the jump over the 6 plus.
    i'm not a huge fan of the design/durability of the s8 or note 8...the glass on both sides and the screen that wraps around seems gimmicky and prone to breaking...who needs to use the edges of the screen?...probably going to pass on both of those...if they offered the s7 with a better processor i'd probably go with that due to the mini sd card availability...so i'm leaning back towards the iphone 8 at the moment...it's durable not a scratch on my 4 or 5s with a zagg invisible shield and a speck case...the operating system is solid and reliable...plus i have a ton of chargers all over the house/work/cars due to both my wife and i having them...i don't want the huge plus screen ones cause i like to be able to fit it in my pocket like my 5s...but if i'm going to upgrade i want the latest and greatest...if my parents phone was ok i would just stay with my 5s but i guess it's time for an upgrade

The iphone 8 won't have a headphone jack.

What about the Samsung Galaxy S8 Active?

2003 ZX7R
    1995 916

Quote Originally Posted by LuvDog View Post
    The iphone 8 won't have a headphone jack.

What about the Samsung Galaxy S8 Active?
    yea but there is an adapter for the lightning port...i like that phone but not available with verizon

The S8 Active is an AT&T exclusive at the moment. There are rumors that T-Mobile may get it at some point. The S8, S8+, S8 Active, and Note 8 all have headphone jacks and a USB C connector.

"...i would seriously bite somebody right in the balls..." -bump909

Quote Originally Posted by ZX-12R View Post
    The S8 Active is an AT&T exclusive at the moment. There are rumors that T-Mobile may get it at some point. The S8, S8+, S8 Active, and Note 8 all have headphone jacks and a USB C connector.
    plus a micro sd card slot i think

thanks but probably sticking with verizon cause i've had good luck with them plus my 15% discount
    But even with your 15% discount it still means you are paying a bunch more monthly.

-Clayton
    2006 Suzuki SV650
    2004 Suzuki Vstrom 650
    2001 Kawasaki ZRX1200R

plus a micro sd card slot i think
    Yes for all 4. The nano SIM and microSD are installed in the same socket via a removable carrier.

"...i would seriously bite somebody right in the balls..." -bump909

But even with your 15% discount it still means you are paying a bunch more monthly.
    guess i'm just not too sure how straight talk works...don't really want to deal with reloading minutes each month and would like to put 3 phones on 1 plan...verizon is $50/phone for 3 phones...brings it to $42.50 with 15% off which is less than $45...if it was just me i think i would def look at it cause for one person on verizon its $75

Last edited by Point37; 11-03-17 at 02:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tekime View Post

What carrier, how many lines?

sheez...I used a ton of data on project fi and it's $149 this month

the nexus 5x kinda sucks too compared to an iphone...going to switch to an iphone 6 and a pre-paid service sometime soon

FREE $10 UBER CREDIT W' PROMO CODE --> PON41
    1994 Yamaha YZ250 CA Street Legal 2-smoke :smoke: ** 2005 Kawasaki Ninja 500R **
    instagram @veshlife

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast