Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Cell phones

Cell phones

I believe Verizon has zapped my cell phone as I am suddenly unable to make phone calls or hold a signal long enough to have a meaningful conversation.

In the past I've heard of folks being able to buy phones that are NOS and avoid paying the few (to several) hundred dollars for a new phone from the phone store.

Is this still true? Is Savvas still our resident cell phone guy for this information?

I'd like to have something figured out for today, if possible, else I'll be shelling out for a new phone at the Verizon store later.

It would be great to find another Droid Turbo 2 since this one has proven to be very durable.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Re: Cell phones

Search FB Market and CL and look for someone selling their Verizon phone. I'm not sure about Verizon, but you may be able to swap the service over yourself on the portal by entering in your new IMEI number of the new phone. Otherwise, go in to a Verizon store with both phones and they can swap it for you in the system.

This is one of the reasons I like services that run on GSM, just get an unlocked phone and swap SIM cards.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    2003 ZX7R
    1995 916

In on this! My J7V is turning to a pile of shit.

Not the go-to cell phone guy any more but correct advice has been provided already.
    If you don’t want to buy new your best bet is to find something on marketplace used for less $. If your phone has a SIM (it should) you should be able to just swap the SIM over to the “new” phone. You can also call customer care and have them
    Swap to the new IMEI (found in the settings or by dialing *#06#). Of course you can always go to the store and have them do all this for you, there are no charges with this service. It certainly doesn’t hurt to go in anyways and see what sort of promotions they have for upgrades (do not be scared of contracts or installment plans, you will use the service and pay the bill regardless). Best Buy is also a good one to visit as they tend to have aggressive promotions (if you do go to BB do NOT buy their insurance it is a rip off). Also check your provider’s website for promos.
    If other providers have good coverage in your area you may wanna consider switching over. Promotions tend to be better for new customers.
    If I can help out more feel free to text me / PM me.

Other providers don't have good coverage in his area.

I have a Droid Razr Maxx sitting in a drawer somewhere. It's old, but was working when I put it in the drawer. It's going to be a step down from your Turbo 2, but I can dig it out if you just need something and verify that it works.

I buy all my phones on Swappa.com

Tbe seller needs to provide a unique ID that's posted in each picture along with an accurate description of the device. It's like eBay but with more moderation. I haven't had any issues so far and I've bought a few 500$+ devices.

Have you tried unplugging it and plugging it back in?

What's the difference between a bolt and a screw?
    First you screw, then you bolt.

Quote Originally Posted by butcher bergs View Post
    I believe Verizon has zapped my cell phone as I am suddenly unable to make phone calls or hold a signal long enough to have a meaningful conversation.

In the past I've heard of folks being able to buy phones that are NOS and avoid paying the few (to several) hundred dollars for a new phone from the phone store.

Is this still true? Is Savvas still our resident cell phone guy for this information?

I'd like to have something figured out for today, if possible, else I'll be shelling out for a new phone at the Verizon store later.

It would be great to find another Droid Turbo 2 since this one has proven to be very durable.
    If you decide you want to go new and/or would like input on plan options let me know. I'll put you in touch with someone who has helped out the driving community nationally, owns a few stores locally and is a straight shooter. I've called him looking to upgrade and he's actually talked me out of it since it would actually cost me more in the long run.

He tends to either overnight or deliver anything he has in stock.

2012 Tiger 800 XC

Cell phones-27056686-a7e9-4572-b39e-8dd3a60b9fd4

I went to MMI I know what Im doing here chief

Lifer

Quote Originally Posted by e30addict View Post
    If you decide you want to go new and/or would like input on plan options let me know. I'll put you in touch with someone who has helped out the driving community nationally, owns a few stores locally and is a straight shooter. I've called him looking to upgrade and he's actually talked me out of it since it would actually cost me more in the long run.

He will also drive hours to deliver the phone if needed. Amazing CS.

Quote Originally Posted by e30addict View Post

Verizon only?

2003 ZX7R
    1995 916

Quote Originally Posted by LuvDog View Post
    Verizon only?
    So far, yes, it's all Verizon kool aid.

2012 Tiger 800 XC