Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

View Poll Results: Chainsaws: What Brand do You Use? And Why?

Voters
78. You may not vote on this poll
  • Stihl

33 42.31%
  • Husqvarna (from a Dealer)

29 37.18%
  • Japanese (Tanaka, Shindaiwa, etc.)

0 0%
  • Chinese (any Big Box Store Brand; Husky, Jonsered, Earthquake, BlueMax, etc.)

12 15.38%
  • Other: I know I missed a few, Just post it below

6 7.69%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 2 of 43 FirstFirst 1234567891011122242 ... LastLast

Chainsaws: What do You Have?

Re: Chainsaws: What do You Have?

Quote Originally Posted by union View Post
    I have two Huskys

385XP and a T435. I wish the 385 was a bit lighter but it does its job very well. With the 2 foot bar I have on it now it doesnt even begin to slow down. I got the T435 with the intention of mounting it on my dirtbike for trail cleanup. I have yet to make the mount but the saw is a nice light one handed saw. Been very happy with both.
    That 385 is a beast! Jay-Jay likey!

0 Not allowed!
    Did you grit your teeth and try to look like Clint Fuckin' Eastwood?
    Or did you lisp it all hangfisted like a fuckin' flower?

Quote Originally Posted by Stoneman View Post
    //FWIW-I've been told by a coupla different service shops that running the recommended 50:1 is probably NOT the best mix to run. Every other gallon of fuel I mix, I run 40:1. Ironically, since I started doing that I haven't fouled a single spark plug. Before I started doing that, I fouled at least one a year. And I ONLY use chainsaw manufacturer's recommended lube. Small price to pay for peace of mind, and I have personally found Husqvarna labeled lubes to be the best regardless of who actually makes it...//
    Appears to be Fuchs.

Biodegradable Super High Performance Chain Saw Oil based on rapeseed. For professional use in chain saws. Excellent lubricity and good ageing stability. Awarded the European Eco Label.

0 Not allowed!
    1975 BMW R90/6 | 2008 Triumph Tiger 1050 ABS | 2009 Honda CRF100F | 2009 Yamaha TrailWay 200 | 2012 Yamaha WR250R | 2016 Honda CB500FA | 2016 Suzuki GSX-R750

Twenty-year-old Poulin 18" bought from the old Somerville Lumber closeout place in Peabody.

Bleah.

0 Not allowed!
    Go fast. Have fun. Repeat.

Quote Originally Posted by Garandman View Post
    Anything made from rapeseed is good for me!

0 Not allowed!

I have the same Husqvarna as Stoneman except 20" bar

I have always found 16" bar more than adequate for the pecker poles we have here in the east, I went to a 20" bar cause I'm getting old and do't want to bend over so far when limbing, I really notice the difference in chain speed though, prolly will replace my 20" bar with an 18"

I've owned several saws over the years, most of em got stolen, my first was was Remington, manual oiler, wicked high compression, hard to start about 3 cu in iirc, a couple of Stihl's, I remember an 034 and an 041AV, a McCulloch or 2, several Husqvarnas a tiny one with a 12" bar and Rancher 50 were my first ones, I also had a 363 ? great saw, suspension bushings were all broke and it was going to cost more to fix than it was worth

the 455 is great for what I do now, about 5 cords of fire wood, timber stand improvement on my property and helping out Jay when I don't leave my saw out in the cold to have a frozen trigger mechanism

0 Not allowed!
    RandyO
    IBA#9560
    A man with a gun is a citizen
    A man without a gun is a subject

Quote Originally Posted by RandyO View Post
    ...the 455 is great for what I do now, about 5 cords of fire wood, timber stand improvement on my property and helping out Jay when I don't leave my saw out in the cold to have a frozen trigger mechanism
    I'm guessing you got it thawed out?

0 Not allowed!

Stihl MS361 with non-safety full chisel chain on 18" and 20" bars. Powerful enough to bury the 20" bar in oak and light enough to do pruning work without much fatigue (I'm not little though). I would have loved to have gotten something larger and pair it with a smaller saw for light work but money was tight when I bought it. For what I cut, I haven't found any reason to get a larger saw other than my personal wants.

I should also say that it has one of the best vibration control systems I've experienced on any saw.

I prefer Stihl saws over Husqvarna but there is no doubt the Husky dealer is much better in my area.

0 Not allowed!
    Last edited by ZX-12R; 12-17-13 at 02:27 PM.
    "...i would seriously bite somebody right in the balls..." -bump909

Quote Originally Posted by Trouble View Post
    Jonsered 2160 turbo. I'm not sure how that gets lumped in with the big box store stuff but I'll go with it. ...
    Sorry 'bout that. You should be voting "other". I don't think there are any Jonsered dealers near me. Tractor Supply started carrying Jonsered this year. The Huskies they replaced.... look identical except in color.

Nobody has a Japanese saw? I really want to try a Tanaka, but from the appearance, my Earthquake is identical.
    Chainsaws: What do You Have?-ecv4501-jpg

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by ZX-12R View Post
    Stihl MS361 with non-safety full chisel chain on 18" and 20" bars. Powerful enough to bury the 20" bar in oak and light enough to do pruning work without much fatigue (I'm not little though). I would have loved to have gotten something larger and pair it with a smaller saw for light work but money was tight when I bought it. For what I cut, I haven't found any reason to get a larger saw other than my personal wants.

I should also say that it has one of the best vibration control systems I've experienced on any saw.

I prefer Stihl saws over Husqvarna but there is no doubt the Husky dealer is much better in my area.
    can you explain what a non safety full chisel chain is?

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by xrocket21 View Post
    No rakers, no drag links, just a nice tall sharp chisel. Beware of kick-back, fer sure. You can grind the rakers down on a typical chain to get more speed when cutting. Many prefer to use non-safety chains when dropping trees 'cuz it's much easier to make plunge cuts for correcting the direction of the fall. I prefer non-raker chains for cutting bucking & cutting my firewood for speed purposes. Chisels usually have a nice square cutting head to 'em rather than the more rounded heads of safety chains as well...

It's a fancy term for '...aggressive chain not for the average homeowner...'. In my opinion, of course. I don't think you'll find 'em at any box stores. I get mine cut-to-size at the local dealer/repair shop. Which works out good too in other ways: I stop by with a 30-pack, he lets me use his grinder to sharpen my chains...

0 Not allowed!

It has been recommended to me a few times to take down my rakers, but I havent tried it yet since I obviously suck at sharpening.

Thanks for the explaination though man. Sounds like I would like one of those chains for these 20"+ oaks Im dealing with!

0 Not allowed!

The cutter links on a saw chain have a depth gauge on the front of them so they grab the right amount of wood. On a safety chain (also called low kick-back chain), there is an extra bit of metal on the link in front of the cutter (guard link) that pokes up higher than the depth gauge as the chain starts to travel around the nose of the bar. This makes it take a smaller bite at the tip of the saw so the odds of a kickback are reduced. This is ideal for the typical home owner who uses a saw once every 2 years. The downside to it is it causes more drag in the wood so you lose cutting performance by using it.

A chisel cutter has a cutting profile that looks like a number "7" and usually has a sharp point to it. Within that category you have full and semi-chisel types which vary by they way they are gound. Full chisel is square ground and offers the best cutting performance but is the most susceptible to dulling. It also a lot more work to sharpen properly. Semi-chisel is round ground and isn't quite as efficient as full chisel but it offers longer edge life and is much easier to sharpen.

After that, you can get chipper chains that have a "?" profile on the cutter. They are the least efficient but tolerate dirty environments better than chisel types.

I run full chisel when I know I'm working with clean wood since it's a hassle to sharpen. All other times I use semi-chisel.

0 Not allowed!

Hypertarded

this is all I use

Chainsaws: What do You Have?-pocket-chainsaw-jpg

0 Not allowed!

ive got a boner for a full chisel chain now

let that dog eat!

0 Not allowed!

ive got a boner for a full chisel chain now
    That's pretty much why I have it. It's definitely harder to come by and requires much more upkeep but it is faster than all other types. Odds are you are running semi-chisel on your saw since that is far and away the most common type of cutter on saw chain.

And I didn't have a picture of the cutter types when I posted before but I found a drawing that's useful:

0 Not allowed!

I have 2 stihls for the business and love them. Had a husq before and had good luck with it, just got old lol

0 Not allowed!

CCS #31

It has been recommended to me a few times to take down my rakers, but I havent tried it yet since I obviously suck at sharpening.

Thanks for the explaination though man. Sounds like I would like one of those chains for these 20"+ oaks Im dealing with!
    Sharpening is tit! Especially with an over-the-counter hand-held guide. I can do mine, sans the rakers in about 15 minutes by hand. Add another 5 minutes to quickly scrape the file 4 or 5 swipes across the rakers. If you're using a raker chain, you should probably take 'em down every 5 or so sharpenings. Although some people never touch 'em and claim they'll wear down on their own. Which is unlikely if you're cutting clean wood...

If you're ever in the area, I can show you in about 10 minutes how to do 'em by hand with a guide...

0 Not allowed!

For the OP, I've also used Dolmar saws and found them to be a very good value. Their power to weight ratio isn't as good as big name commercial saws but they are a fair amount cheaper than the equivalent models from Stihl and Husqvarna.

0 Not allowed!

That's pretty much why I have it. It's definitely harder to come by and requires much more upkeep but it is faster than all other types. Odds are you are running semi-chisel on your saw since that is far and away the most common type of cutter on saw chain.

And I didn't have a picture of the cutter types when I posted before but I found a drawing that's useful:
    That's a perfect illustration! Ain't nothing wrong with semi's, I use 'em. I have a 3 chain rotation and I typically get a coupla years out of 'em. But I also have a habit of sharpening 'em after every use...

0 Not allowed!

depends on what wood yer cutting and what time of year, for softwood, you can pretty much take them off, I like leaving a little for hardwood, slighlly smaller chips but teeth stay sharper longer, frozen hardwood, I leave em be, and don't go any beyond the normal depth gauge

0 Not allowed!
    RandyO
    IBA#9560

Sharpening is tit! Especially with an over-the-counter hand-held guide. I can do mine, sans the rakers in about 15 minutes by hand. Add another 5 minutes to quickly scrape the file 4 or 5 swipes across the rakers. If you're using a raker chain, you should probably take 'em down every 5 or so sharpenings. Although some people never touch 'em and claim they'll wear down on their own. Which is unlikely if you're cutting clean wood...

If you're ever in the area, I can show you in about 10 minutes how to do 'em by hand with a guide...
    Im not in your area, but I have always wanted to make it out to one of your bashes!!!

on sharpening:

first I had just a file with no handle so it stabbed my palm even if I used a rag. I clamped the bar in a vise, was aware of the angle and tried to keep it, etc. but the saw pulled hard and wouldnt cut straight at all.

So I got a dremel tool sharpener with a guide. Still pulled.

Father in law says: "Youre sharpening it unevenely! Ill sharpen it for you!" Still pulls.

Got a new saw, LOVED IT. Got into the dirt so it needed sharpening, made it pull a bit. Pretty much could not get the thing to cut straight. Said fuck it and went and bought a new chain (I had cut a lot of wood, and sharpening it so much to even it out really wore it down)

New chain is good, but I got into a bit of dirt again, and cut like 5 18" oak trunks, and it need sharpening. When I got the new chain I got a better file with a handle.

I understand how to sharpen, keep the file perpendicular to the ground, follow the angle guide on the chain, etc. But Im fucking something up and cant quite figure out what it is. Something I am doing wrong makes it not cut straight.

edit: so current status is a fairly new chain is on that I havent touched yet, but it does need a sharpening!

0 Not allowed!
    Last edited by xrocket21; 12-17-13 at 03:35 PM.

Ain't nothing wrong with semi's, I use 'em.
    I looked back at what I posted and I made it sound like full-chisel is all I use which isn't the case. Most of my chains are semi-chisel but the full's are labor of love. They are outstanding when the conditions are right!

0 Not allowed!

I looked back at what I posted and I made it sound like full-chisel is all I use which isn't the case. Most of my chains are semi-chisel but the full's are labor of love. They are outstanding when the conditions are right!
    I bet they make PILES of dust!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by RandyO View Post
    depends on what wood yer cutting and what time of year, for softwood, you can pretty much take them off, I like leaving a little for hardwood, slighlly smaller chips but teeth stay sharper longer, frozen hardwood, I leave em be, and don't go any beyond the normal depth gauge
    its mostly Oak around us. Friggen hard ass old oak.

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by B440 View Post
    The Huskies they replaced.... look identical except in color.
    They should. They are the same saw with a different color and a slightly different angle to the handle. Almost everything is interchangeable.

0 Not allowed!

LRRS EX #7
    Low Down Racing
    - Woodcraft - Armour Bodies - Computrack Boston - Lifeproof -

c. But Im fucking something up and cant quite figure out what it is. Something I am doing wrong makes it not cut straight.
    getting the angle of the file is only part of sharpening , apply the same pressure on each stroke and each tooth, file the same # of strokes on each tooth

0 Not allowed!
    RandyO
    IBA#9560