Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

View Poll Results: Chainsaws: What Brand do You Use? And Why?

Voters
73. You may not vote on this poll
  • Stihl

    31 42.47%
  • Husqvarna (from a Dealer)

    28 38.36%
  • Japanese (Tanaka, Shindaiwa, etc.)

    0 0%
  • Chinese (any Big Box Store Brand; Husky, Jonsered, Earthquake, BlueMax, etc.)

    10 13.70%
  • Other: I know I missed a few, Just post it below

    6 8.22%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 36 of 36 FirstFirst ... 162627282930313233343536
Results 876 to 897 of 897

Chainsaws: What do You Have?

  1. #876
    Angry Gumball RandyO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    Farmington, NH
    Age
    64
    Posts
    11,934
    iTrader Score
    0

    Re: Chainsaws: What do You Have?


    Tip for cutting trees/saplings/shrubs low

    first cut them higher where its easier to get good undercut and back cut to fell the tree, then your not putting as much weight on the bar and chain when you make lower cut to shorten the stump

    1 Not allowed!
    RandyO
    IBA#9560
    A man with a gun is a citizen
    A man without a gun is a subject

  2. #877
    Changes come butcher bergs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    the humbling river
    Posts
    11,992
    iTrader Score
    11 (100%)

    Re: Chainsaws: What do You Have?

    The top of my "training pine" finally tipped over!

    I must get more comfortable with what the top of a tree can hold as far as weight is concerned but the movement on such a small diameter had me a bit gun shy. Ended up topping 16' and once I was back on the ground I realized I easily could have gone up 10' more.

    Eh..... whatever. I'm feeling good about it still.


    Chainsaws: What do You Have?-img_20170522_201543301_top-jpg

    0 Not allowed!

  3. #878
    TWINS! xrocket21's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Central Maine
    Age
    36
    Posts
    4,365
    iTrader Score
    3 (100%)

    Re: Chainsaws: What do You Have?

    what is a training pine?

    0 Not allowed!

  4. #879
    Lifer snwbrdr435's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    North Shore Ma
    Posts
    2,010
    iTrader Score
    1 (100%)

    Re: Chainsaws: What do You Have?

    Quote Originally Posted by xrocket21 View Post
    what is a training pine?
    A pine that he has been practicing climbing

    Its surprising how far out you can get on limbs etc. I;ve been out on some very skinny limbs pruning.

    0 Not allowed!

  5. #880
    Lifer Imbeek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Southwick,MA
    Posts
    2,039
    iTrader Score
    0

    Re: Chainsaws: What do You Have?

    Quote Originally Posted by 01xj View Post
    Just limbed and cut up a small tree that fell in a family members yard. Nothing crazy I was out of their front lawn and didn't bury the bar or anything like that
    Did the chain touch dirt AT ALL while it was up to speed? If so, I'd start with sharpening the chain. It just takes a second to destroy a sharp chain if it contacts dirt or rocks; the dirt gets on the teeth, then the wood helps the dirt act like a nice efficient abrasive to screw your sharpening job...and if it gets the chain cutting crooked, there's your derailment problem.

    1 Not allowed!

  6. #881
    Lifer snwbrdr435's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    North Shore Ma
    Posts
    2,010
    iTrader Score
    1 (100%)

    Re: Chainsaws: What do You Have?

    ^ This

    0 Not allowed!

  7. #882
    Lifer snwbrdr435's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    North Shore Ma
    Posts
    2,010
    iTrader Score
    1 (100%)

    Re: Chainsaws: What do You Have?

    I have to say of the most uncomfortable take downs I did in the last year or so was a skinny hickory, Probably 14in dbh. Probably 80ish ft in height right next to a pool house/ patio. Pressure on my hips from my feet being so close together was just uncomfortable.

    0 Not allowed!

  8. #883
    Lifer snwbrdr435's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    North Shore Ma
    Posts
    2,010
    iTrader Score
    1 (100%)

    Re: Chainsaws: What do You Have?




    0 Not allowed!

  9. #884
    Lifer snwbrdr435's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    North Shore Ma
    Posts
    2,010
    iTrader Score
    1 (100%)

    Re: Chainsaws: What do You Have?




    0 Not allowed!

  10. #885
    Changes come butcher bergs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    the humbling river
    Posts
    11,992
    iTrader Score
    11 (100%)

    Re: Chainsaws: What do You Have?

    Quote Originally Posted by snwbrdr435 View Post
    I have to say of the most uncomfortable take downs I did in the last year or so was a skinny hickory, Probably 14in dbh. Probably 80ish ft in height right next to a pool house/ patio. Pressure on my hips from my feet being so close together was just uncomfortable.
    That's where I need more saddle time. The height was easy to get comfortable with in a few climbs. The swaying will take some getting used to but is much more comfortable now with a few ascents. Now it's just learning how small the stick can be with me gaffed to it.

    Still learning SRT climbing as I don't want to be relegated to spikes for everything I'm cutting.

    I've been using American Arborist for my gear and supplies. They have been extremely helpful with showing me where the education and safety literature is found. Good peeps in my book.

    0 Not allowed!

  11. #886
    Super Moderator TheIglu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Royalston, MA
    Age
    36
    Posts
    18,030
    iTrader Score
    2 (100%)

    Re: Chainsaws: What do You Have?

    If any of you wood monkeys want to swing from tree to tree all mimbly-bimbly, I've got a ton of tall trees that could use a lopping down. Free practice

    0 Not allowed!
    -Clayton
    2009 KTM 200 XC
    2006 Suzuki SV650
    2004 Suzuki Vstrom 650
    2001 Kawasaki ZRX1200R
    1982 Honda CB750F Super Sport

  12. #887
    Lifer snwbrdr435's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    North Shore Ma
    Posts
    2,010
    iTrader Score
    1 (100%)

    Re: Chainsaws: What do You Have?

    Quote Originally Posted by butcher bergs View Post
    That's where I need more saddle time. The height was easy to get comfortable with in a few climbs. The swaying will take some getting used to but is much more comfortable now with a few ascents. Now it's just learning how small the stick can be with me gaffed to it.

    Still learning SRT climbing as I don't want to be relegated to spikes for everything I'm cutting.

    I've been using American Arborist for my gear and supplies. They have been extremely helpful with showing me where the education and safety literature is found. Good peeps in my book.
    I hardly ever where spurs, if I do its only when doing a take down. Most of the work I do is fine pruning and assessment/ tree care, limb walking with a handsaw for super fine structural pruning.

    Sherrill Tree and tree stuff.com are where I generally any new gear I need. I mostly climb on a distel based SRT but also use a gri gri. Adding a swivel to the hitch climber pulley enables me to keep the ropes neat while far out limbwalking. If I am swinging over to a near by tree I may use a DRT but usually would just toss a second climbing line in there and swing my ass over and work from both.

    0 Not allowed!

  13. #888
    Changes come butcher bergs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    the humbling river
    Posts
    11,992
    iTrader Score
    11 (100%)

    Re: Chainsaws: What do You Have?

    Oh yes, spurs for removal only. I've got ~20 pine around my house that need to come down before nature does it.

    Been learning SRT on a split tail, all rope so far. My thought was to learn the very basics and gain the climbing experience like that first. Figure I can add ascenders and descenders at any time in the future.

    Also picked up 180' of rigging line and am trying out an Uber sling for controlling limb drops.

    0 Not allowed!

  14. #889
    Lifer ZX-12R's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Candia, NH
    Age
    36
    Posts
    4,798
    iTrader Score
    0

    Re: Chainsaws: What do You Have?

    I've wanted a power broom for a long time so about a month or so ago, I picked up the Stihl KombiSystem KM 131 R power head as well as their power sweep attachment. Since a pole pruner attachment was a available, after a couple of weeks I couldn't help myself and bought that too along with an extension. It doesn't reach as far as my manual pole saw but it sure is faster! The KM 131 is the largest of the Kombimotors (36cc 4-mix with about 2HP) and it has no problem burying the 14" bar with very little change in RPM. I may get a 16" bar for it. Being able to limb a felled tree without bending over all the time is quite nice. It also lets you stay clear of the danger area when cutting trees and branches that are under odd tension or snagged in some way.

    While I like it and it's proving to be useful, if I didn't have the KombiSystem power head, I don't think I would spend the money to get a dedicated power pruner.

    0 Not allowed!
    "...i would seriously bite somebody right in the balls..." -bump909

  15. #890
    Lifer snwbrdr435's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    North Shore Ma
    Posts
    2,010
    iTrader Score
    1 (100%)

    Re: Chainsaws: What do You Have?

    We have two HT-133 and a HTA 85 which is the battery op one and is awesome, super light weight and makes very fine cuts.

    0 Not allowed!

  16. #891
    Lifer 01xj's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    CT
    Age
    31
    Posts
    1,141
    iTrader Score
    2 (100%)

    Re: Chainsaws: What do You Have?

    Quote Originally Posted by ZX-12R View Post
    I've wanted a power broom for a long time so about a month or so ago, I picked up the Stihl KombiSystem KM 131 R power head as well as their power sweep attachment. Since a pole pruner attachment was a available, after a couple of weeks I couldn't help myself and bought that too along with an extension. It doesn't reach as far as my manual pole saw but it sure is faster! The KM 131 is the largest of the Kombimotors (36cc 4-mix with about 2HP) and it has no problem burying the 14" bar with very little change in RPM. I may get a 16" bar for it. Being able to limb a felled tree without bending over all the time is quite nice. It also lets you stay clear of the danger area when cutting trees and branches that are under odd tension or snagged in some way.

    While I like it and it's proving to be useful, if I didn't have the KombiSystem power head, I don't think I would spend the money to get a dedicated power pruner.
    Have you used the broom much? I'm thinking about one of those to do spring clean up. My yard gets blasted with sand and road debris all winter since we live on a corner.

    0 Not allowed!

  17. #892
    Lifer ZX-12R's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Candia, NH
    Age
    36
    Posts
    4,798
    iTrader Score
    0

    Re: Chainsaws: What do You Have?

    I've used it quite a bit and I really like it. I got it primarily to deal with the massive amount of acorns I get in my yard. I have a good number of large and healthy red and white oaks that drop acorns like you wouldn't believe. They don't rake easily and my backpack blower moves them but not efficiently. The power broom does a very good job of getting them in a pile. The edge of my yard is a stone wall so I don't have to deal with sand and road debris but it does move plenty of dirt, small rocks, and grass clippings while being used in the middle of my yard.

    With the large power head, it's a pretty heavy combo but it glides with relative ease while sweeping. The big engine is a bit overkill for the sweeping attachment.

    0 Not allowed!
    Last edited by ZX-12R; 05-26-17 at 07:59 AM.
    "...i would seriously bite somebody right in the balls..." -bump909

  18. #893
    Angry Gumball RandyO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    Farmington, NH
    Age
    64
    Posts
    11,934
    iTrader Score
    0

    Re: Chainsaws: What do You Have?

    Quote Originally Posted by ZX-12R View Post
    I've used it quite a bit and I really like it. I got it primarily to deal with the massive amount of acorns I get in my yard. I have a good number of large and healthy red and white oaks that drop acorns like you wouldn't believe.
    last year was a tremendous year for acorn production, I visited a client to tell her that the new driveway permit would require cutting a dozen beautiful 24" + read oaks that interfere with sight distance that line the edge of the right of way. I was apprehensive to give her the news thinking she would go postal. Instead, she thought it was great news, she literally has a swath of acorns 3"-4" deep 15-20 feet wide and 400 feet long under the crowns on her side of the ROW stone wall, she was glad for a reason to get rid of them considers red oaks a nuisance

    0 Not allowed!
    RandyO
    IBA#9560
    A man with a gun is a citizen
    A man without a gun is a subject

  19. #894
    Lifer 01xj's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    CT
    Age
    31
    Posts
    1,141
    iTrader Score
    2 (100%)

    Re: Chainsaws: What do You Have?

    Quote Originally Posted by ZX-12R View Post
    I've used it quite a bit and I really like it. I got it primarily to deal with the massive amount of acorns I get in my yard. I have a good number of large and healthy red and white oaks that drop acorns like you wouldn't believe. They don't rake easily and my backpack blower moves them but not efficiently. The power broom does a very good job of getting them in a pile. The edge of my yard is a stone wall so I don't have to deal with sand and road debris but it does move plenty of dirt, small rocks, and grass clippings while being used in the middle of my yard.

    With the large power head, it's a pretty heavy combo but it glides with relative ease while sweeping. The big engine is a bit overkill for the sweeping attachment.
    Do you have the bristle attachment or the sweeper style with paddles? I didn't notice a difference until I started looking them up. Looks like the bristle brush style is cheaper and a little wider. I might spring for that attachment.

    0 Not allowed!

  20. #895
    Lifer ZX-12R's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Candia, NH
    Age
    36
    Posts
    4,798
    iTrader Score
    0

    Re: Chainsaws: What do You Have?

    I have the rubber paddle attachment. From the researching I did, the brush is better for hard surfaces like asphalt and concrete while the rubber paddles are better for grass. Once you have the transmission, you can buy the paddles or brushes separately and switch between them. It's not as fast as changing the whole attachment but it is cheaper.

    0 Not allowed!
    "...i would seriously bite somebody right in the balls..." -bump909

  21. #896
    Lifer ZX-12R's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Candia, NH
    Age
    36
    Posts
    4,798
    iTrader Score
    0

    Re: Chainsaws: What do You Have?

    Quote Originally Posted by RandyO View Post
    last year was a tremendous year for acorn production, I visited a client to tell her that the new driveway permit would require cutting a dozen beautiful 24" + read oaks that interfere with sight distance that line the edge of the right of way. I was apprehensive to give her the news thinking she would go postal. Instead, she thought it was great news, she literally has a swath of acorns 3"-4" deep 15-20 feet wide and 400 feet long under the crowns on her side of the ROW stone wall, she was glad for a reason to get rid of them considers red oaks a nuisance
    I'm not quite at a dozen, but I have a number of red oaks in the 20"-28" range and 1 white oak that's 36+". The white oak didn't make as many acorns as I would have expected or perhaps I don't notice them as much because they are small, but holy hell was it a prolific year for the big acorns from the red oaks. You know it's bad when you're playing fetch with your dogs and one of them wipes out while trying to turn at speed.

    0 Not allowed!
    "...i would seriously bite somebody right in the balls..." -bump909

  22. #897
    TWINS! xrocket21's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Central Maine
    Age
    36
    Posts
    4,365
    iTrader Score
    3 (100%)

    Re: Chainsaws: What do You Have?

    my lawn is canopied by red oaks.... the acorn situation was REALLY REALLY bad

    0 Not allowed!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •