Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

View Poll Results: Chainsaws: What Brand do You Use? And Why?

Voters
78. You may not vote on this poll
  • Stihl

33 42.31%
  • Husqvarna (from a Dealer)

29 37.18%
  • Japanese (Tanaka, Shindaiwa, etc.)

0 0%
  • Chinese (any Big Box Store Brand; Husky, Jonsered, Earthquake, BlueMax, etc.)

12 15.38%
  • Other: I know I missed a few, Just post it below

6 7.69%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 5 of 43 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141525 ... LastLast

Chainsaws: What do You Have?

Re: Chainsaws: What do You Have?

Quote Originally Posted by Trouble View Post
    15-20 but that can vary a lot. Mainly depending on what we're burning for species. We try to stick to good hardwood as there is plenty around from some major windstorms we had a few years ago.
    Evaporators are more efficient than they were 40 years ago, I remember burning that much to make only 60-75 gallons. Bigger operations usually boil with oil or gas nowadays

0 Not allowed!
    RandyO
    IBA#9560
    A man with a gun is a citizen
    A man without a gun is a subject

When I was in college, we used this type of system on our logging (spruce & fir pulp) job

0 Not allowed!
    RandyO
    IBA#9560

Quote Originally Posted by nhbubba View Post
    At least a day, probably more. It was a while ago. I work slow.. not well trained nor equipped for the job.

Although I did buy a peavey for that particular job. Partly after reading something Randy posted here on NESR.

I was really shocked at how long it took me to split that stuff. I had budgeted for a 4 hour rental and wound up paying for a full day. I had no help.
    I now have my own splitter, but I never found a rental that didn't totally suck. When I went shopping, I went with a checklist and got exactly what I was after. While mine's certainly not 'commercial' grade, it's SO much more machine than typical rentals. Takes me about 2 hours a cord splitting various diameter hardwood if I have a hand picking & tossing the chunks. And I can work at waist height...

0 Not allowed!
    Did you grit your teeth and try to look like Clint Fuckin' Eastwood?
    Or did you lisp it all hangfisted like a fuckin' flower?

Quote Originally Posted by Trouble View Post
    This is how I get my firewood out. 65hp New Holland with forks on the front, Farmi winch on the back and a forwarder in tow. 2-3 loads of logs and I'm good for the season. It takes a lot more loads to feed the sugarhouse though.

Oh my fuck! I want!

0 Not allowed!

One of yesterday's loads going out

1 Not allowed!
    TIMMYDUCK

Quote Originally Posted by RandyO View Post
    and even after ya to split those oak chunks into quarters or finer after they dried 2 years, they were barely manageable

tree was huge, 2 cords just in the butt log, prolly close to 5 cords just in that 1 tree
    That tree is the reason why I have that plank out there now. That sumbitch was about 3' in diameter & at least 150 years old. I've been pulling chunks outta that tree for what, THREE years now? This year is the last year I'm burning anything from that tree. Got about 4 cord total out of it, including the tops & shit...

It took two of us to roll the 16" chunks onto the log splitter in it's upright position. Thanks again, Bill!

1 Not allowed!

That was fun rolling them in MX boots!

1 Not allowed!
    "...i would seriously bite somebody right in the balls..." -bump909

Quote Originally Posted by ZX-12R View Post
    That was fun rolling them in MX boots!

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by TIMMYDUCK View Post
    I hear a lot about what is the best saw .

Let's see some of the end results.

Here is my pile from last Saturday 2 men, 6 hours each of labor

Quote Originally Posted by xrocket21 View Post
    my plan is to be a boss and split it all by hand. Havent got started on that yet, and the 5 biggest trees are yet to be cut (they are down, limbed, and I just either need a bigger bar or borrow a saw.)

edit, its hard to see, but look at that sum bitch by the passenger side corner of the bumper, you can see the end of it over the log in front. Pretty sure the tip of my saw would just barely cut that piece. Truck has 18" wheels so sounda about right for my 18" bar.

The biggest butts have to be like 22"
    Timmy's pile would take me about a month, maybe 6 weeks

I have my wood processing pile right outside my front door, every time I walk past it, I split a chunk

0 Not allowed!
    RandyO
    IBA#9560

0 Not allowed!
    RandyO
    IBA#9560

Eager Beaver,
    oh and btw the chainsaw is small mcculloch for clearing yard debris.

1 Not allowed!
    2013 ZX6R-636

I usually alternate where I dry my wood, mostly so I can start on the following years wood prior to burning the current years wood.

Sometimes under cover, holds about 4.5 cords..

Chainsaws: What do You Have?-000_3265-jpg

Sometimes stacked outside... 4 rows is about 6 cords

Chainsaws: What do You Have?-002-7-jpg

The biggest killer for me is the time it takes to get it out of the woods, I can only load so much on the little trailer before the ATV just spins trying to pull the weight up the hills. I did finally buy a log splitter, which saves my back, neck and shoulders (hand splitting wood is pretty bad for your joints), but IMHO, doesn't save any time. I know with the red oak on my property, I can hand split much faster

Chainsaws: What do You Have?-006-jpg

1 Not allowed!
    Yamaha

A Big Powerful Sportbike

R7, you have one helluva nice looking property. How much land do you have?

So much pine on my property. It's kind of a downer as I wish I could harvest more from my own yard.

The white oak I did cut from the front yard was a nightmare to split by hand. Quite twisted and knotty.

0 Not allowed!

Someone needs to start a snow blower poll. That would be interesting too.

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by R7 View Post
    ]

The biggest killer for me is the time it takes to get it out of the woods, I can only load so much on the little trailer before the ATV just spins trying to pull the weight up the hills. I did finally buy a log splitter, which saves my back, neck and shoulders (hand splitting wood is pretty bad for your joints), but IMHO, doesn't save any time. I know with the red oak on my property, I can hand split much faster

Chainsaws: What do You Have?-006-jpg
    Mark, you may find that hauling your wood in a sled is an easier pull than a wheeled trailer

I stack my wood in a wood room in my basement, I do it in a fashion that insures driest wood closest to the furnace to be used first, by the time I get to anything that may have been green, it will be kiln dried before it gets used

when I was 40, I woulda agreed with ya that hand splitting is just as fast

0 Not allowed!
    RandyO
    IBA#9560

R7, you have one helluva nice looking property. How much land do you have?

So much pine on my property. It's kind of a downer as I wish I could harvest more from my own yard.

The white oak I did cut from the front yard was a nightmare to split by hand. Quite twisted and knotty.
    Thank you.
    I have 13.3 acres, all wooded except around the house. Been pulled 4-5 cord per year selective cutting for 6 years now and you'd never really know it. 50% of that is from trees that fall in storms.

White oak by hand is hard to split, it's stringy. If there's a knot mixed it, makes it a nightmare. Before I had my splitter, I'd save all the hard to split stuff for a cold day, once the wood is frozen, most types will pop open.

Mark, you may find that hauling your wood in a sled is an easier pull than a wheeled trailer

I stack my wood in a wood room in my basement, I do it in a fashion that insures driest wood closest to the furnace to be used first, by the time I get to anything that may have been green, it will be kiln dried before it gets used

when I was 40, I woulda agreed with ya that hand splitting is just as fast
    The problem for me with that is, the snow here comes and goes pretty quick. It's not like up north where once it's white, you have it for the winter. We can get 12" of snow and it's gone less than a week later in some cases. The next problem for a sled is rocks..the majority of the surface is covered in rocks/boulders. I'd give it a shot if the investment was small.
    The trailer works good, it just takes time. 6-8 full loads makes about a cord. I stack in pretty good, strap it down so the logs don't roll off going over the rocks, and take the wood from the trailer and split it, then stack it. All of next years wood is already cut down and cut up, but it's still un-split and in piles out in the woods

0 Not allowed!
    Yamaha

A Big Powerful Sportbike

I have to buy a new sled this year, mine lasted 5 years, 95% in summer hauling firewood, I originally bought my JetSled XL for a specific survey job in the winter, we pulled it with a snowmobile and by hand on snowshoes loaded with our survey equipment. That summer, I started using it to drag my firewood out by hand, did it that way a couple years, last 2 years Jay has let me use his ATV, I have rocks, roots, stumps, it really took a beating this year. now they make bigger ones as well as more rugged sleds

I am trying to decide between the bigger Jet Sled Magnum or the more rugged Kodiak XL that is the same size as what I have
    http://www.shappell.com/sleds.html

0 Not allowed!
    RandyO
    IBA#9560

You'll be surprised what those sleds can endure Mark. I sure the fuck was! I'm looking into 'em now too. Far better than trailering it around, hands down. The only downside is that you obviously have to pull head-in to where you're dumping it, if you can call that a downside. My property is much like yours...

0 Not allowed!

my little 2 acre lot is also predominately pine about acre is developed, buildings, garden, parking, driveway wood processing area, the rest is forested, as I said, motly pine, # 2 species is red maple, #3 is hemlock, #4 is red oak, #5 beech and probably a dozen other species but insignificant in the forest. Been here 32 years and cutting 3-5 cords a year and still plenty. Ive been cutting only red maple and beech for firewood, and grooming the pine, hemlock & oak for sawlogs, did a small 13 tree harvest of white pine about 15 years ago, milled 10k of lumber and build my barn, might to a similar size harvest this year coming up

0 Not allowed!
    RandyO
    IBA#9560

This is in the basement. I guess you can't see the depth, but it's around 2-2.5 cord.
    Chainsaws: What do You Have?-2013-2014-jpg

This is out back. I've been slacking this year. There should be another row in the middle.
    Chainsaws: What do You Have?-2013-2014-jpg

I move it around with a quad and trailer like R7 has. I hate that little lawn tractor yard trailer though. I want a trailer with the same width, but longer, with four wide ATV tires.

R7; Does that ATV have a winch for hills? Here's some inspiration:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z6STtS6J7Ww

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by B440 View Post
    This is in the basement. I guess you can't see the depth, but it's around 2-2.5 cord.

This is out back. I've been slacking this year. There should be another row in the middle.

I move it around with a quad and trailer like R7 has. I hate that little lawn tractor yard trailer though. I want a trailer with the same width, but longer, with four wide ATV tires.

R7; Does that ATV have a winch for hills? Here's some inspiration:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z6STtS6J7Ww
    I looked at bigger trailers, but the one I have holds about the max the ATV can pull up the hill. Even when I'm at the back corner of the property, I usually don't load it full. I'd like to get the same build quality trailer, but with full size ATV tires.
    Mine does have the winch, but it comes down to time vs the effort. Even though I'm hauling it about 1/4 mile, it saves time if I end up making 10 smaller trips rather than 7 or 8 full loads.

Storing that amount of wood inside, do you do anything for bugs? Seems I can only store 2-3 nights worth of wood inside without getting a bunch of bugs. Any more than that, and my window sills in the house get these little black bugs

0 Not allowed!
    Yamaha

A Big Powerful Sportbike

I store nearly 5 cord in my basement and haven't had a problem with bugs in the house, maybe is cause I have spiders in my basement, the advantage of wood inside is that it's not frozen when ya stick it in the fire, starting fires takes less kindling (I use a match and a couple of grade D shimming shingles) and the pile of wood is a thermal mass

0 Not allowed!
    RandyO
    IBA#9560

I used to cover the open area of the room with a tarp and use a bug bomb. This year I did nothing for bugs. Had a few here and there, but nothing unmanageable. I do keep a 20lb bag of that stuff they use in pools. It looks like powder, and if a bug walks across it, they shrivel up and die. The only bugs I worry about are; bedbugs, carpenter ants and termites. I try not to kill any spiders I see inside. I also like to keep snakes in the outside wood piles to eat bugs and rodents. Circle of life

This year a family of mice snuck in. Little bastards. Five so far. two caught alive. The rest were cornered by the cats and had a heart attack, or died searching out water. I keep a bucket in the basement to catch a small drip. They go in to drink, but can't get out and drown.

0 Not allowed!

Dolmar 5105 18" bar, dealer nearby, cheaper than stihl/husky and as good if not better.

Love everything about it.

0 Not allowed!
    Last edited by GTStang; 12-21-13 at 01:01 AM.

my little 2 acre lot is also predominately pine about acre is developed, buildings, garden, parking, driveway wood processing area, the rest is forested, as I said, motly pine, # 2 species is red maple, #3 is hemlock, #4 is red oak, #5 beech and probably a dozen other species but insignificant in the forest. Been here 32 years and cutting 3-5 cords a year and still plenty.
    3-5 cords a year off of 2 acres? Geez, I could deal with that. My lot is 2.75 acres and pretty much the make up you described.. except my #2 is oak.

What sucks is the pines crowd out the oaks and force them to grow at odd angles. I have a couple out front that I wouldn't mind cutting because they are so twisted. Unfortunately they are right next to the power lines and I don't trust myself to cut those. I'm also still not entirely clear on where my north property line is. Many of the oaks are over there. Some may be mine.

0 Not allowed!