Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Challenger

Challenger

Grabbed one as a rental car this trip, I’m pretty impressed. Not the big HP model, but does have a 5.7, goes like hell and sounds amazing! I could have one of these in the garage one day..

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Re: Challenger

If you go to a quiet spot, shut it down, and listen carefully, you can hear them depreciating....

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    “When it comes to the kitchen, I have a narrow band of competency.”
    Master Mechanic Roger Barr in “Chasing Classic Cars.”

Quote Originally Posted by Garandman View Post
    If you go to a quiet spot, shut it down, and listen carefully, you can hear them depreciating....
    Ha! That’s part of the appeal. I did a local Craigslist search today and was stunned how cheaply they can be had used.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Our drummer drives a Hellcat. He’s REALLY into mopar stuff.

-Clayton
    2006 Suzuki SV650
    2004 Suzuki Vstrom 650
    1982 Honda CB750F Super Sport

Quote Originally Posted by TheIglu View Post
    Our drummer drives a Hellcat. He’s REALLY into mopar stuff.
    Whoa, I think that one is 700+ hp! Crazy.

I’m no mopar guy or other brand loyal (quick shout out though to say “fuck you!” to anything German), but $/grin seems pretty high with the dodge. I think they nailed the styling too, much better than the camaro or stang.

What’s a modern car like this good for?
    This thing shines in......
    Please fill in he blank.

Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet
    Close your eyes, look deep in your soul, step outside yourself and let your mind go.

Quote Originally Posted by Chippertheripper View Post
    What’s a modern car like this good for?
    This thing shines in......
    Please fill in he blank.
    Nothing. Winter is coming, better start chopping wood.

LOL, I drove it's predecessor, the Magnum, for a year. It was really funny as the car is sooooo not me. But the 5.7 was awesome and sounded great. People reacted so differently to me in that thing it wasn't even funny. It became know as the pussy wagon. It was black with 20 in deep dish rims.

It was actually somewhat practical with it's wagon in the back. That is until I had to drive to VT in a mild snowstorm... I had to drive on the wrong side of every curve to prevent sliding into the ditch due to the crown in the road.

Also, the dodge front end sounded like a box of loose parts on bumpy pavement.

Last edited by Paul_E_D; 05-25-18 at 06:34 AM.
    Paul_E_D

iT MAY BE HEAVY, BUT AT LEAST ITS SLOW

I would drive the crap out of a Challenger. Would not offend me in the least. Hell, I'd drive a plane-jane Charger R/T.
    I have to admit my Silverado 5.3L has really altered my opinion of V8's. They are the bees knees.
    I just got back from a 2 week vacation out west. We rented a car for the trip and were supposed to get a "standard" size rental. Wound up being "upgraded" to a minivan, which was a Dodge Grand Caravan. The drivetrain in that thing left something to be desired, but I was really impressed with the fit and finish in the thing. I'm historically fairly anti-dodge/chrysler; of the opinion that they are the worst of the big 3 domestics. And I definitely disagree with your opinion of the styling of the Mustang. But I was impressed with the GC and the Ram 1500 I damned near bought a few years ago.

I'm starting to believe there really are no really shittly built cars left on the market. Just about everyone's doing this pretty well these days. Or maybe my standards are just in the toilet. Can't tell anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by xrocket21 View Post
    iT MAY BE HEAVY, BUT AT LEAST ITS SLOW
    And it won’t bring all the boys to the yard like a Subaru can!

The interior of the Magnum was a notch above. Really. Best seats of anything I've owned, a really good factory sound install complete with a second battery for the amp. By the time I got the thing though, the door locks had a mind of their own and would only rarely let me open the rear hatch. so Dodge still has crap electrical components, and the front end parts are made of chocolate.

Paul_E_D

Quote Originally Posted by nhbubba View Post
    I would drive the crap out of a Challenger. Would not offend me in the least. Hell, I'd drive a plane-jane Charger R/T.
    I have to admit my Silverado 5.3L has really altered my opinion of V8's. They are the bees knees.
    I just got back from a 2 week vacation out west. We rented a car for the trip and were supposed to get a "standard" size rental. Wound up being "upgraded" to a minivan, which was a Dodge Grand Caravan. The drivetrain in that thing left something to be desired, but I was really impressed with the fit and finish in the thing. I'm historically fairly anti-dodge/chrysler; of the opinion that they are the worst of the big 3 domestics. And I definitely disagree with your opinion of the styling of the Mustang. But I was impressed with the GC and the Ram 1500 I damned near bought a few years ago.

I'm starting to believe there really are no really shittly built cars left on the market. Just about everyone's doing this pretty well these days. Or maybe my standards are just in the toilet. Can't tell anymore.

A big part of it for me is finally leaving New England behind. Things that once seemed absurd now look like tons of fun. Could also be early onset midlife crisis?

I'm not particularly a fan of any of the modern muscle cars really, at least until you start getting into the high spec'd track ready variants like Noel's ZL1. That said, if it's fun and puts a grin on your face, go for it. I prefer the Charger a bit more, more utility with similar performance. I noticed both the Challenger and Charger have the R/T Scat Pack package, both sub $40k and gets you almost 500 horse with the 6.4L Hemi. I think that would be the sweet spot for me between getting a significant bump is ponies without a huge bump in money.

I went to MMI I know what Im doing here chief

This would be the road I'd take..

550-HP Mustang EcoBoost – Ford Mustang Turbo Kit

-Christian LRRS/CCS HasBeen ECK Racing
    2011 Pit Bike Race CHAMPION!

Quote Originally Posted by loudbeard View Post
    I'm not particularly a fan of any of the modern muscle cars really, at least until you start getting into the high spec'd track ready variants like Noel's ZL1. That said, if it's fun and puts a grin on your face, go for it. I prefer the Charger a bit more, more utility with similar performance. I noticed both the Challenger and Charger have the R/T Scat Pack package, both sub $40k and gets you almost 500 horse with the 6.4L Hemi. I think that would be the sweet spot for me between getting a significant bump is ponies without a huge bump in money.
    My mind went right to the “more power in this thing would be more betterer “. Now that I’ve been driving it for a few days I wouldn’t change it. It’s kind of similar to going from my 1000 to a 600. It has half the nut but was twice as fun to ride because you could wring it’s neck and not be in felony territory all the time. The 5.7 is only 375hp but it’s a willing participant, and that sound is glorious.

Sometimes less is more.
    How some of us feel about our cheap-shit, fun-as-fuck motorcycles.. Duct-tape on the seat, a meager 60HP 650 twin between my legs, and track ready suspension at both ends.

That's funny... I hated the one I rented in San Diego last fall. It just felt like it didn't do anything well. The Camaro I had in Vegas last summer was a lot more fun. Granted both were the V6 rental fleet models, but at 305hp the Challenger felt like a complete dog.

I can definitely see it fitting the "modern muscle" category with a ridiculous amount of horsepower though.

Yeah V6 is a no

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Paul_E_D

Quote Originally Posted by nhbubba View Post
    //I'm starting to believe there really are no really shittly built cars left on the market. Just about everyone's doing this pretty well these days. Or maybe my standards are just in the toilet. Can't tell anymore.
    I used to argue “The lowest quality car [by initial quality reports] you can buy today is better than the highest quality car you could buy 10 years ago.

Turned out that isn’t quite correct. It’s about 12 years.

“When it comes to the kitchen, I have a narrow band of competency.”
    Master Mechanic Roger Barr in “Chasing Classic Cars.”

Dictionary quoting knob stoinkythepig's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by gixxer72 View Post
    I’m no mopar guy or other brand loyal (quick shout out though to say “fuck you!” to anything German),
    Might want to cancel the Challenger plans, it's based on a Mercedes E-class "chassis" and quite German.

I may or may not know a guy that can get deals on Mopars...

I may or may not be that guy

Quote Originally Posted by stoinkythepig View Post
    Might want to cancel the Challenger plans, it's based on a Mercedes E-class "chassis" and quite German.
    Well that’s a bitch.

I'd get a 2010+ Porsche Boxster S to avoid IMS bearing issues or a Corvette Z06. Those 2 are on my list for next car.

Jay
    2013 gixxer 750
    2009 Ducati M1100s
    2017 KTM exc-f 350

Challenger-img_20150421_130652147_hdr-jpg

This might be in the showroom, sitting next to my desk...

(Its a Demon...)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast