Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Who is in charge of the internet?

Who is in charge of the internet?

I recently discovered the company I own is listed as a day care operation by the likes of websites such as Manta. I'd like to have this information corrected. What is the best method to fixing this discrepancy?

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Re: Who is in charge of the internet?

you should call Al Gore

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    RandyO
    IBA#9560
    A man with a gun is a citizen
    A man without a gun is a subject

Have you claimed the company on http://business.google.com? That's a good place to start, as a lot of sites like Manta (which is useless, for this reason) get their initial info from there among other places like state filings. Whenever you see a specific company/location/etc show up on the right side of a search result page, that's what they call a knowledge graph. Unless you claim it and take control of the info shown there, they're just guessing.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by RyanNicholson; 04-26-18 at 12:26 PM.

Ryan - No I have not claimed the company in that way and to be honest, I'm completely out of touch with things like that. I figured the internet gets the info from the state but I can see now that could not be further from the truth.

Quote Originally Posted by butcher bergs View Post
    Ryan - No I have not claimed the company in that way and to be honest, I'm completely out of touch with things like that. I figured the internet gets the info from the state but I can see now that could not be further from the truth.
    The process is pretty simple and worth doing. Do you have a website for the business?

Feel free to PM.

Lifer

They probably get that too. They'll get info where ever they can, as long as it's cost effective and not likely to result in lawsuit. Which also might include buying a dying competitor's database. One mistake can get propagated to other places.

I'd check that you aren't incorrectly labeled with the state. If in MA, it can be done on the official website.

nedirtriders.com

Putin is your guy Paul.

Quote Originally Posted by RyanNicholson View Post
    Do you have a website for the business?
    No. Would this be something you're interested in creating?

No. Would this be something you're interested in creating?
    PM inbound

Quote Originally Posted by aldend123 View Post
    They probably get that too. They'll get info where ever they can, as long as it's cost effective and not likely to result in lawsuit. Which also might include buying a dying competitor's database. One mistake can get propagated to other places.

I'd check that you aren't incorrectly labeled with the state. If in MA, it can be done on the official website.
    The state has the correct info. Just checked with them.

EDIT: Updated Google Business. Still have some work to do but at least I'm no longer running an otherwise "unlicensed daycare".

Last edited by butcher bergs; 04-26-18 at 01:56 PM.

...an otherwise "unlicensed daycare".
    Sounds exactly like the place I work...

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Dude you need yext. It's expensive as fuck but the company I work with is a reseller and we sell it barely above cost. It pushes data to everything, google maps, yahoo, etc I'm assuming manta but can't say for sure. I don't really fuck with it. You only need it for a month or two while it pushes your data out and then you can cancel it and all of your listings will already be out there. Shoot me a PM if you're interested and I'll give you our number to call.

Manta, like most online business directories, gets its info from public records which can include government registries. That doesn't mean they have the right data, though - sometimes they just slap things into a category. Sometimes it works to their advantage having some incorrect data because it catches business owner's interest and initiates engagement to update a listing.

Every directory is going to have its own sources but they are often similar (public records) or include info collected (and/or made up) by data warehouses who are in the business of selling databases.

Business directories have a much less significant role than they used to, but couldn't hurt to update on Manta. Make sure you have a website presence (even basic), list in Google Business, set up a Facebook page, LinkedIn business page - you're 80% there.

Be prepared to turn down a lot of offers for "premium listings". If you're planning to put money into online ads it's generally better to focus on niche sites tightly related to your business, Google, and Facebook. Inbound & social marketing is often going to be the most cost-effective for your dollar long-term.

Business directories are a funny phenomenon - back when they were more relevant I spent a few years developing directory software, in addition to writing scripts to extract data from Chamber of Commerce listings to build databases. Created the concept of "bid directories" that allowed website owners/businesses to bid on placement in a directory sort of like eBay - the idea exploded for a while but ultimately the benefit of having all these listings has waned as Google revamped their algorithms.

05GSXR75005SV65090DR350