Cheap turbo build help

Lifer
    iTrader Score
    1 (100%)

Cheap turbo build help

I picked up a little alto works kei type car as a fun machine and i want more powah. I know a bunch of you guys play with turbo cars so maybe you can help. My first order of business is a mbc. Which one would be a good one? To me it seems they all do about the same so why not just buy a couple cheap ones off ebay and see what i get?
    I also need a good recomendation for a fuel cut defender. My car is running about 7psi and can handle about 20 but the fuel cut is around 14psi so i will need to over come that eventually. I thought about building one as an option if i dont find a good ones to purchase.

0 Not allowed!

iTrader Score
    11 (100%)

Re: Cheap turbo build help

Unless you're 100% certain the vehicle can accept one without much fuss, I suggest some reading on manual boost controllers, the various types and the risks involved with installing one. After that, as far as the engine is concerned, take the basic steps to ensure your entire intake path is properly connected and secured....same goes for the vacuum lines. No leaks or compromised connections and components. You also want to be certain the factory intercooler, if equipped with one, can handle the pressure you're going after.

Ultimately I would advise against installing one until you completely understand all of the facets of boost control. It places more stress on the turbo and you must consider whether or not your injectors and fuel pump will be able to keep up.

As far as fuel cut....I've not heard of a fuel cut being introduced when a boost cap is met. Are you sure it's not more along the lines of the MAF not accurately sensing beyond 14psi? Or maybe that's the aforementioned limits of the fueling system...?

0 Not allowed!

Lifer
    iTrader Score
    1 (100%)

They use a map sensor that cuts fuel once the voltage goes above a certain threshold. The fcd just clamps the signal at a set point which would be determined by trial and error. The fuel system is up to the task without much worry. It was designed to run much bigger motored cars from the factory but at some point i would have to upgrade if i really went nuts.

These little cars are pretty robust in stock form and way over engineered. Everything if forged from the factory. They are tuned to a low hp per japanese regulations but are capable of nearly double with just a few bits and bobs. Supposedly the only weak link in the system is the headgasket which is designed to blow at around 20 psi. They sell a better oem one if needed which i hope i never do. These cars are so tiny i can barely get a hand anywhere around the motor without taking things off.

0 Not allowed!

iTrader Score

ditch the exhaust connection and put a belt driven blower on it, would't hurt to squirt a bit of NOx while yer at

also a camera under the hood, so you can show us how good of a grenade you built

0 Not allowed!
    RandyO
    IBA#9560
    A man with a gun is a citizen
    A man without a gun is a subject

iTrader Score
    11 (100%)

I don't know enough about the vehicle to offer more other than to say to do your research on manual boost controllers. They can cause a lot of headaches if not used properly.

It still sounds to me like the MAP sensor isn't designed to operate at the levels you're going for and if that is the case, it's not fuel cut, it's lack of being able to process the information back to the ECU. There may be another part number that crosses over to your application that will be able to measure at the levels you're talking about.

Your headgasket issue might be solved with nothing more than better head studs as the factory ones might be getting stretched at high boost levels.

It'd be nice to see this car. Sure, the internet pics are dandy but seeing what you actually have is way better, IMO.

0 Not allowed!