Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Cheaper alternative to PODS for temp onsite storage

High maintenance priss

Cheaper alternative to PODS for temp onsite storage

I have to temporarily move most of the crap out of my garage so I can renovate my play space. I'm thinking I'll need the storage for 2-3 months; must be weather-tight and secure. When I moved a few years ago I think the garage stuff took up a 10wx20dx9h storage unit packed to the gills.

PODS max is 16', so I'd need 2. For two 12': $325 drop off + $285 pickup + $335/mo. Assuming 2 months, that means nearly a grand. And they seem kinda flimsy to boot. Um, no.

I'm thinking shipping container, but CL only has rent-to-buy or buy outright. Are there other options or recommendations for central MA?

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Re: Cheaper alternative to PODS for temp onsite storage

Kelcon rents them. They're in W. Springfield but they deliver all over New England. No idea how the pricing is but it's worth it to give them a call. They deliver on a roll off. When I worked there our drivers would put them anywhere but the street.

Lifer

Why cant you do a storage unit again?
    Look into logistics companies in springfield or fitchburg for a container. It shouldnt be hard to find one. If you have enough room and dont mind the site you could probably get a 24ft trailer dropped for peanuts. A 20ft container should only be a few hundred if you go that route.

High maintenance priss

I'll look into Kelcon.

As for storage unit: I do not want to load and unload twice (nor take multiple trips/rent a u-haul). I also need will access to a bunch of the stuff (tools) as I work on the garage.

I see that new 20' units go for $3k on CL. Slap some siding and roof on it: call it a shed?

Last edited by keeena; 01-05-18 at 11:00 AM.

Price is heavily dependent upon location / trucking rate, so the closer option is probably going to be cheapest. A 20' x 8' steel container should be around $80 / month, including tax.

Check either Eagle Leasing (Storage Container & Office Trailer Rentals in MA, CT, NY, RI) in Southborough, MA or Page Street Leasing (Page Street Storage) in Manchester, NH. Not sure which is closer to your location, but transportation rate should be the only major difference. I've heard of Kelcon, but haven't used them before. If they're somewhat close to you, definitely check them out as well give them a call.

PODS is a good option if you're having it moved (they pick up the units level) or if you're moving it out of the area, but as you found out, they're expensive and flimsy for onsite storage. Be careful of the CL listings.. most of their prices don't include sales tax, and they're usually brokers somewhere on the West coast and they hire local tow companies to deliver them at $100+ per hour, so $3k for a new one is probably a scam (I've run into those as well). This company in RI (https://www.outbackstorage.com/shipp...iners-for-sale) sells them and their new 20s are $4250.

My company uses a lot of these, so let me know if you have any questions.

2004 SV650S

Lifer

Quote Originally Posted by keeena View Post
    I'll look into Kelcon.

As for storage unit: I do not want to load and unload twice (nor take multiple trips/rent a u-haul). I also need will access to a bunch of the stuff (tools) as I work on the garage.

I see that new 20' units go for $3k on CL. Slap some siding and roof on it: call it a shed?
    My crazy neighbor lived in one for years and it did all right.

Lifer

I figure I'd throw in for pack-rat.

They had almost identical pricing to PODS when I moved, but they did give me 15% off I think because I asked if I fished around for enough coupons would it help? Also if you're not delivering it anywhere it might help cut the cost? Mine seemed cheaper than what you quoted. Pack Rat gave me the largest one for the same price. I "believe" it was $450 for 2 months that included the delivery to my new place (although it was like 2 miles away from the old place). The pack-rat containers are literally like mini shipping containers. All metal, completely watertight etc.

Quote Originally Posted by keeena View Post
    I'm thinking shipping container
    check your local land use ordinance, some towns have outlawed structures of that sort

RandyO
    IBA#9560
    A man with a gun is a citizen
    A man without a gun is a subject