cigar humidors school me

suburban ghetto living... black's Avatar

cigar humidors school me

Have about 40 cigars 4 $ sticks from key west that are light and honey.... to my Cuban Cohibas

Problem is my humidor from amazon just cant maintain the humidity. I'm constantly battling.
    I've seasoned and reseasoned. Put in sponges in water, Added the gel cubes that maintain 75% humidity
    I'm either overshooting or the humidity is right per a calibrated humidity monitor ( 2 seperate ones/ models) or it maintains 65-70% but my cigars just wont take up the moisture optimally

This is especially bad during winter where the house is low humidity due to baseboard heating ( no home humidifier is possible, no ducting or such)

anyone reccomend an electric humidifier a plug and go type?

Or tell me what the heck i'm doing wrong?

0 Not allowed!
    hmmmm......

Re: cigar humidors school me

How big is the humidor? It should be about 75% full.

Have you tried boveda packs?

Is it a glass top humidor? Allegedly they don’t hold in humidity as well.

When you say they won’t take up moisture, are they dried out and hard, or is there just very little spring in them if you lightly pinch them?

0 Not allowed!
    I supported Savs hobby and all I got is this lousy t-shirt.

suburban ghetto living... black's Avatar

should hold 70 cigars so I'm right there
    I'v etried boved packs and dry stat tubes
    Amazon.com: Drymistat Humidor Humidifier Tubes Set Your Humidor to 70% Humidity (Pack of 2): Home & Kitchen

humidor is glass top as you pointed out.
    They get towards the dried out hard but i've been able to avoid full dried out ( had some cheap cohibas that woudl dry out very easily....... more little spring to no spring.
    definitely far fresh from the store mosit

I am leaning towards an electric humidor just so its one thing less off my plate with this very dry house.

0 Not allowed!
    hmmmm......

Small desktop humidors are harder to keep stable. For the winter put your humidor in a cooler if you have one big enough.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

0 Not allowed!
    2003 ZX7R
    1995 916

....................... PinHead's Avatar

Time to make a coolerdor. YouTube Get yourself an Igloo cooler ( they seem to seal well ) and some Heartfelt humidity beads Heartfelt Industries, Heartfelt Cigar Humidor Humidity Beads, Heartfelt Beads, Humidors, Quality Cigar Accessories at 65%, done deal. The beads are not cheap but they work VERY well, there is some math to do to find out the proper amount of beads to use in the size cooler you end up with but it's pretty easy. Some Spanish ceder from some cigar boxes in the cooler will help as well.
    I have had 2 of these going for years and compared to my desktop humi the cooler wins hands down, it is pretty much care free. And seeing as I have 2 150q coolers full of good stuff I didn't want to mess around and cheap out. Mine are standing on end with ceder shelves so the top of the cooler is more like a door now. You spend good cash for the cigars you may as well spend the cash to keep them properly.

1 Not allowed!
    2018 Harley Road Glide
    2000 Ducati 900ss
    05 WR 250F

Quote Originally Posted by PinHead View Post
    Time to make a coolerdor. YouTube Get yourself an Igloo cooler ( they seem to seal well ) and some Heartfelt humidity beads Heartfelt Industries, Heartfelt Cigar Humidor Humidity Beads, Heartfelt Beads, Humidors, Quality Cigar Accessories at 65%, done deal. The beads are not cheap but they work VERY well, there is some math to do to find out the proper amount of beads to use in the size cooler you end up with but it's pretty easy. Some Spanish ceder from some cigar boxes in the cooler will help as well.
    I have had 2 of these going for years and compared to my desktop humi the cooler wins hands down, it is pretty much care free. And seeing as I have 2 150q coolers full of good stuff I didn't want to mess around and cheap out. Mine are standing on end with ceder shelves so the top of the cooler is more like a door now. You spend good cash for the cigars you may as well spend the cash to keep them properly.
    +1. Cheap igloo cooler and Heartfelt beads here. Near zero maintenance. Works great

0 Not allowed!

I’ve never heard of that but it makes sense.

What’s everyone’s stick of choice? I like L’atelier. OP, where did you get your Cuban Cohibas? �� are they Behikes?

0 Not allowed!
    I supported Savs hobby and all I got is this lousy t-shirt.