Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Results 1 to 14 of 14

cigar humidors school me

  1. #1
    suburban ghetto living... black's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Wilmington, MA
    Age
    44
    Posts
    1,649

    cigar humidors school me


    Have about 40 cigars 4 $ sticks from key west that are light and honey.... to my Cuban Cohibas

    Problem is my humidor from amazon just cant maintain the humidity. I'm constantly battling.
    I've seasoned and reseasoned. Put in sponges in water, Added the gel cubes that maintain 75% humidity
    I'm either overshooting or the humidity is right per a calibrated humidity monitor ( 2 seperate ones/ models) or it maintains 65-70% but my cigars just wont take up the moisture optimally


    This is especially bad during winter where the house is low humidity due to baseboard heating ( no home humidifier is possible, no ducting or such)

    anyone reccomend an electric humidifier a plug and go type?

    Or tell me what the heck i'm doing wrong?

    0 Not allowed!
    hmmmm......

  2. #2
    Lifer
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    1,075

    Re: cigar humidors school me

    How big is the humidor? It should be about 75% full.

    Have you tried boveda packs?

    Is it a glass top humidor? Allegedly they don’t hold in humidity as well.

    When you say they won’t take up moisture, are they dried out and hard, or is there just very little spring in them if you lightly pinch them?

    0 Not allowed!

  3. #3
    suburban ghetto living... black's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Wilmington, MA
    Age
    44
    Posts
    1,649

    Re: cigar humidors school me

    should hold 70 cigars so I'm right there
    I'v etried boved packs and dry stat tubes
    Amazon.com: Drymistat Humidor Humidifier Tubes Set Your Humidor to 70% Humidity (Pack of 2): Home & Kitchen


    humidor is glass top as you pointed out.
    They get towards the dried out hard but i've been able to avoid full dried out ( had some cheap cohibas that woudl dry out very easily....... more little spring to no spring.
    definitely far fresh from the store mosit

    I am leaning towards an electric humidor just so its one thing less off my plate with this very dry house.

    0 Not allowed!
    hmmmm......

  4. #4
    Lifer LuvDog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Ashland, MA
    Age
    49
    Posts
    2,548

    Re: cigar humidors school me

    Small desktop humidors are harder to keep stable. For the winter put your humidor in a cooler if you have one big enough.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

    0 Not allowed!
    2003 ZX7R
    1995 916

  5. #5
    ....................... PinHead's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Location
    Walpole
    Age
    49
    Posts
    5,086

    Re: cigar humidors school me

    Time to make a coolerdor. YouTube Get yourself an Igloo cooler ( they seem to seal well ) and some Heartfelt humidity beads Heartfelt Industries, Heartfelt Cigar Humidor Humidity Beads, Heartfelt Beads, Humidors, Quality Cigar Accessories at 65%, done deal. The beads are not cheap but they work VERY well, there is some math to do to find out the proper amount of beads to use in the size cooler you end up with but it's pretty easy. Some Spanish ceder from some cigar boxes in the cooler will help as well.
    I have had 2 of these going for years and compared to my desktop humi the cooler wins hands down, it is pretty much care free. And seeing as I have 2 150q coolers full of good stuff I didn't want to mess around and cheap out. Mine are standing on end with ceder shelves so the top of the cooler is more like a door now. You spend good cash for the cigars you may as well spend the cash to keep them properly.

    1 Not allowed!
    2018 Harley Road Glide
    2000 Ducati 900ss
    2018 Onewheel XR

  6. #6
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Location
    Exeter, RI
    Posts
    25

    Re: cigar humidors school me

    Quote Originally Posted by PinHead View Post
    Time to make a coolerdor. YouTube Get yourself an Igloo cooler ( they seem to seal well ) and some Heartfelt humidity beads Heartfelt Industries, Heartfelt Cigar Humidor Humidity Beads, Heartfelt Beads, Humidors, Quality Cigar Accessories at 65%, done deal. The beads are not cheap but they work VERY well, there is some math to do to find out the proper amount of beads to use in the size cooler you end up with but it's pretty easy. Some Spanish ceder from some cigar boxes in the cooler will help as well.
    I have had 2 of these going for years and compared to my desktop humi the cooler wins hands down, it is pretty much care free. And seeing as I have 2 150q coolers full of good stuff I didn't want to mess around and cheap out. Mine are standing on end with ceder shelves so the top of the cooler is more like a door now. You spend good cash for the cigars you may as well spend the cash to keep them properly.
    +1. Cheap igloo cooler and Heartfelt beads here. Near zero maintenance. Works great

    0 Not allowed!

  7. #7
    Lifer
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    1,075

    Re: cigar humidors school me

    I’ve never heard of that but it makes sense.

    What’s everyone’s stick of choice? I like L’atelier. OP, where did you get your Cuban Cohibas? �� are they Behikes?

    0 Not allowed!

  8. #8
    suburban ghetto living... black's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Wilmington, MA
    Age
    44
    Posts
    1,649

    Re: cigar humidors school me

    So update here.....
    Re seasoned the humidor....and tried brand new Boveda packs 3 to be exact

    Looks to be stable over 7 days right around 72% using a sensorpush wireless thermostat/humidity recorder.
    cigars feel perfect. So I'm happy


    I picked up the Cohibas on routine trips to Mexico back in the day. wife now picks them up when travelling thru either Germany, amsterdam or last stop was in Spain.... friend picked up more in Switzerland for me
    robustos and siglas

    My fav so far are the Bolivars i have but the montecrists are my reliables

    0 Not allowed!
    hmmmm......

  9. #9
    ....................... PinHead's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Location
    Walpole
    Age
    49
    Posts
    5,086

    Re: cigar humidors school me

    Quote Originally Posted by black View Post
    So update here.....
    Re seasoned the humidor....and tried brand new Boveda packs 3 to be exact

    Looks to be stable over 7 days right around 72% using a sensorpush wireless thermostat/humidity recorder.
    cigars feel perfect. So I'm happy


    I picked up the Cohibas on routine trips to Mexico back in the day. wife now picks them up when travelling thru either Germany, amsterdam or last stop was in Spain.... friend picked up more in Switzerland for me
    robustos and siglas

    My fav so far are the Bolivars i have but the montecrists are my reliables
    72% is way to high, at that level mold can develop and take over. 65-70% is best, closer to 65% the better, and then you can dry box the cigars for a day or so to get them down to 60% for better smoking.

    0 Not allowed!
    2018 Harley Road Glide
    2000 Ducati 900ss
    2018 Onewheel XR

  10. #10
    suburban ghetto living... black's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Wilmington, MA
    Age
    44
    Posts
    1,649

    Re: cigar humidors school me

    Quote Originally Posted by PinHead View Post
    72% is way to high, at that level mold can develop and take over. 65-70% is best, closer to 65% the better, and then you can dry box the cigars for a day or so to get them down to 60% for better smoking.
    And Iíve been schooled. Just ordered the 65% packs.

    Thanks!

    1 Not allowed!

  11. #11
    Lifer
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    1,075

    Re: cigar humidors school me

    I think 72 in winter is fine

    0 Not allowed!

  12. #12
    ....................... PinHead's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Location
    Walpole
    Age
    49
    Posts
    5,086

    Re: cigar humidors school me

    Quote Originally Posted by Gixxer View Post
    I think 72 in winter is fine
    Problem with that, when the cigars are that humid and you go outside into the cold dry air they expand a bunch and blow open/crack.

    1 Not allowed!
    2018 Harley Road Glide
    2000 Ducati 900ss
    2018 Onewheel XR

  13. #13
    ....................... PinHead's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Location
    Walpole
    Age
    49
    Posts
    5,086

    Re: cigar humidors school me

    Most of my stash. 2 150q Igloo coolers with Spanish ceder shelves and 65% Heartfelt humidity beads.
    Not sure why the fucking pics turned sideways?

    cigar humidors   school me-img_0285-jpg
    cigar humidors   school me-img_0283-jpg
    cigar humidors   school me-img_0284-jpg

    1 Not allowed!
    Last edited by PinHead; 12-17-18 at 08:58 PM.
    2018 Harley Road Glide
    2000 Ducati 900ss
    2018 Onewheel XR

  14. #14
    Lifer LuvDog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Ashland, MA
    Age
    49
    Posts
    2,548

    Re: cigar humidors school me

    My stuff hovers between 65-67. Anything more and the draw is terrible


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

    0 Not allowed!
    2003 ZX7R
    1995 916

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •