Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Colorado ski trip questions

First name on the shit list.... SVRACER01's Avatar

Re: Colorado ski trip questions

Quote Originally Posted by Chippertheripper View Post
    Don't forget the cardio.
    gotta see if the gym down the street has a rower before i join.

edit: they dont. bummer, i hate stationary bikes and treadmills

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by SVRACER01; 11-23-16 at 12:49 PM.
    When I start my KTM in the morning, rules are broken. Its inevitable...
    01 SV650S (RC51 eater)/07 690SM /03 300EXC/14 XTZ1200
    TRACKS:Firebird/NHMS/VIR/Calabogie/California Speedway/NJMP/MMC/NYST/Palmer/Thompson/Club Motorsports

Quote Originally Posted by SVRACER01 View Post

That sounds like the nickelback of gyms.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet
    Close your eyes, look deep in your soul, step outside yourself and let your mind go.

Development Rider scottieducati's Avatar

Don't plan any specific mountains. Watch the snow reports and go where the conditions are best... it can vary wildly and there's no point in skiing out there if you're stuck on groomers in icyish conditions. You want the pow, my friend.

You're gonna pay to play as far as lift tickets go no matter what you do. I recommend bringing your own stuff for sure. I have a "sports tube" hard-case that's expandable and can fit 2 sets of skis, poles, etc. A TransPack bag for your boots / helmet / other gear is super handy as well. LMK if you want to borrow one or both as it looks like I won't be heading out west for skiing anytime soon.

CCS/LRRS #83

I think sticking with one area isn't a bad idea but if that one place is Loveland, I don't think you are getting the whole experience, really...that's the closest one to Denver when traveling in the direction we are taking about, and it's cool,and all, but not really in the same league, size wise as the others. Vail and Breck both have 50% more vertical drop than Loveland. Breck has almost twice as much skiable acres as Loveland and Vail has THREE TIMES as much. It's not all that much further to drive to the big ones...

I agree with the post about deciding where to ride when you get there and see the weather. Last year we rode 2" fresh one morning at Breck, while our buddies took a 30ish minute shuttle ride and rode 14" fresh at Vail. DOh!

Quote Originally Posted by scottieducati View Post
    Don't plan any specific mountains. Watch the snow reports and go where the conditions are best... it can vary wildly and there's no point in skiing out there if you're stuck on groomers in icyish conditions. You want the pow, my friend.

You're gonna pay to play as far as lift tickets go no matter what you do. I recommend bringing your own stuff for sure. I have a "sports tube" hard-case that's expandable and can fit 2 sets of skis, poles, etc. A TransPack bag for your boots / helmet / other gear is super handy as well. LMK if you want to borrow one or both as it looks like I won't be heading out west for skiing anytime soon.
    ive got a transpak, if i decide to take skis then i may take you up on the ski box.
    Quote Originally Posted by Imbeek View Post
    I think sticking with one area isn't a bad idea but if that one place is Loveland, I don't think you are getting the whole experience, really...that's the closest one to Denver when traveling in the direction we are taking about, and it's cool,and all, but not really in the same league, size wise as the others. Vail and Breck both have 50% more vertical drop than Loveland. Breck has almost twice as much skiable acres as Loveland and Vail has THREE TIMES as much. It's not all that much further to drive to the big ones...

I agree with the post about deciding where to ride when you get there and see the weather. Last year we rode 2" fresh one morning at Breck, while our buddies took a 30ish minute shuttle ride and rode 14" fresh at Vail. DOh!
    ill def be watching the weather all week. i liked that loveland had (free) cat skiing since i dont like to hike. i was trying to find a place in dillon in be in the middle of everything but my buddy wants to be closer to the city in case things go sideways weather wise. i wish i had 2 weeks out there.

TRACKS:Firebird/NHMS/VIR/Calabogie/California Speedway/NJMP/MMC/NYST/Palmer/Thompson/Club Motorsports

My $0.02 of barely informed opinions : All reports I've seen indicate Denver area traffic is getting OUT OF CONTROL these days. I would not stay in or near Denver if you are looking to be there to ski. I would stay in the mountains, probably somewhere on the other side of the pass. Even Golden is too far away, IMO. Pay extra for proximity to what you want to do.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

If the weather is bad and you're staying in Denver, you risk not skiing at all. I'd be looking for a place in Frisco or Silverthorne. Seriously.

I went to MMI I know what Im doing here chief

Development Rider scottieducati's Avatar

Absolutely what the two dudes above said. Do NOT stay in or near Denver if you're planning on skiing that day. Frisco, Silverthorne or Dillon would be ideal. You're gonna be SOL if they shut down the tunnel to get back to the city, but what's a missed flight anyway? ANOTHER DAY OF SKIING DERRRR

The Colorado Mountain Express (CME) has shuttle van service from the city / airport up to the mountains at a reasonable cost. Worth a check....

Last edited by scottieducati; 11-23-16 at 04:13 PM.

CCS/LRRS #83

Quote Originally Posted by Chippertheripper View Post
    That sounds like the nickelback of gyms.
    Weak.

Quote Originally Posted by TheIglu View Post
    Drove up pikes peak a couple months ago. Felt fine until I started seeing spots and got real dizzy all the sudden. Can't imagine it would of been a good situation being on skis at that point.

I climbed Pikes Peak a couple years ago. It's a 12 mile trail. I was in ok shape and didn't notice the altitude until about 2 miles from the top. The last mile I thought it might be easier to climb back down 11 miles instead of up one more. If you are not in shape it will mess you up.

You might hate the treadmill, but you will hate it more if you don't get your fat ass on it from now until you go to Colorado.

Denver is 5280ft above sea level, if you aren't in decent shape you will notice it when you exert any effort. I hunt in Colorado and the guys I hunt with live in Colorado Springs. When we get up where we hunt, around 11,000-12,000 feet above sea level even they have some issue. The first year I went out there I'd have to catch my breath just rolling over in my cot. Now I'm ok, but I run a lot more now. I can run in the Springs with no problem, but I can't run at 12,000 feet for as long.
    Look at professional football players. They are in better shape than most people and they get winded playing in Denver all the time.

You suck at life. Why don't you quit?

My dad told me I could be anything I wanted when I grew up. So I became an Asshole.

Try a spin class/indoor cycle studio like Soulcycle or Flywheel or Handlebar or any other pun-related place. The scenery, my god the scenery...

'02 Ducati 998, '08 Ducati HyperMotard 1100S, '14 Subaru XV Crosstrek

car, hotel, plane all booked.

Weak.
    Vintage?

My input from 1 trip 2 years ago.

Bring your boots, rent skis. Boots fit in regular luggage, and you can pick/get skis according to the conditions that day.

I am in LOVE with Breckenridge, but I also didn't get any exposure to the other resorts. Breck has the highest altitude lift in the US. It was a snowy day when we were there. We sent the ladies off to hit some groomers and headed off to find this lift because we were there, skiing one day, and were not going to miss it. Short version is we were about 8 feet apart, having a conversation, hiking to the peak from the highest lift, and could not see each other.

The next day when we were loading up the car, at the base of the mountain, under perfect bluebird skies, and could see the peak we were hiking from the base. 100% weather turn in 20 hours.

other than being tired at night, the altitude didn't bother me while skiing. I was ready for it to be an issue, but for whatever reason it wasn't. they sell little canisters of O2 in most of the ski shops. If you really start to get altitude sickness, a few shots helps take the edge off, but it just prolongs the suffering of adjusting.

Yeah one of my buddies who has had some serious health issues with his lungs used those o2 canisters when he felt like he needed them and they helped.

I'm not big on pills by any means, if fact I will do almost anything to avoid them, but I also heard just recently that there is a prescription medication available to take before going to altitude that is very effective at treating not just the symptoms of altitude sickness, but the actual cause. I'm not a doctor and don't know any more that that...

If you are looking to hit a dif mt each day, prob stay in Keystone. You can hit, keystone, A-basin, breck, and deer valley from the shuttle busses. If you want to hit just one maybe vail(?) I only had 1 day there. Need a few days to explore that mt. I'd prob bring my own gear. Or at least my boots as one of the other guys here suggested. You don't want to stay in Denver. Too far to drive each day up the through the mt's.

Quote Originally Posted by ScottyJ View Post
    Too far to drive each day up the through the mt's.
    too far? really?
    the closest "mountain" to me is gunstock and even thats 45min. river, killington and loon are 2.25 hours. jay is 3+. ill gladly take a 1-1.5 hr ride from denver to...well...anywhere.
    i think i get what youre saying but ive driven to sugarloaf and sunday river in near blizzard conditions so driving through the mountains doesnt bother me much

Driving up the front range of the Rockies in severe weather is a bit different than cruising around New England. That said, I hope your trip works out for you. You'll see when you get there, it's basically another planet. If you're lucky, the weather will be clear and you can drive in and out with no problems. The only thing that sucks about that is if the weather is clear you won't have any fresh pow to ride. I had one drive from the airport in bad weather where they closed the I70 tunnel and we could only take the Loveland Pass. It took 7 hours to get from Denver to Copper Mountain.

I went to MMI I know what Im doing here chief

too far? really?
    the closest "mountain" to me is gunstock and even thats 45min. river, killington and loon are 2.25 hours. jay is 3+. ill gladly take a 1-1.5 hr ride from denver to...well...anywhere.
    i think i get what youre saying but ive driven to sugarloaf and sunday river in near blizzard conditions so driving through the mountains doesnt bother me much
    I'd rather spend the time on the mt rather than driving a couple hrs each way. 2hr trip around here to Okemo, Killington etc is fine. But I can go there anytime.

Late to the party but o well.

Pretty much echo what everyone else has said.
    Cardio. I just use the stair master a lot, and a lotta core exercises to get ready for out west.
    Water. Drink a beer? Have a water, every bar ive seen out there has those large gatorade dispensers full of water at all times.
    Oxygen, or lack there of. Not to scare you, but I would wake up every night, multiple times, gasping for air, I have a buddy who goes out every year with us, who has sickle cell trait. God bless em, he knows what he getting himself into, and that first 24hrs is fucking BRUTAL for him, just like watching someone with the worst hangover ever dry heaving all day, after everything else got puked up.
    We have always stayed in breck, and used it as a base camp. Great night life, and plenty of accommodations.

For packing, my snowboard bag and bootbag are my luggage bags, and are loaded to the gills with all my clothes and I take just a backpack onto the plane. Saves on another checked bag both ways.

Temps varied, Ive skied days when its 0 and days when its 50, all in the same trip.
    BRING SUNBLOCK, burn super quick if its a nice bluebird day.

Typically do Breck,Vail,A Basin,Keystone,Beaver Creek.

A Basin and Keystone are roughly 7mins apart. Vail and Beaver Creek are 20mins apart.
    Breck is an hour from Beaver and 40 to Vail, 40 mins to Keystone. Again a pretty good, launching point.

Lift Tix are insanely priced at big resorts. ~150/day at breck/vail/beavercreek/keystone,and that is online purchasing. Window is around ~170, at that price its almost the same money to buy a season pass if you ski 4+ days.
    Tix are more reasonable at Copper, A Basin

Definitely look into a place in that area, once out there all mountains are not too far away from each other, roughly an hour or so.
    Airbnb is a good start.

.:|LaRNZ|:.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12