Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910

Here comes the electric pickup

Re: Here comes the electric pickup

Quote Originally Posted by TheIglu View Post
    Did you think about replacement engine costs on your existing vehicles before you bought them?
    No, but you should research typical repair costs. The diff between current gas and electric options is generally if you have a failure on the gas power plant it's not a total failure, and you can do component repair. Drop a cell in a Tesla battery, and Tesla will want to sell you an entire batt pack. Or an entire electric motor assembly, etc. That's not to say the industry isn't trying to move conventional cars to that same modular assembly replacement only model too but it's not as accepted there by the market... so far.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Mistake - 1992 WR250ZD / 2000 LS650P / 2019 KTM 150SX / 2016 KTM 250XC / 2016 KTM 500XC W

^ It's my bike and my car tls25rs's Avatar

Did you think about replacement engine costs on your existing vehicles before you bought them?
    No dog in the fight here but I am sure most people do think about repair costs associated with a new vehicle.

It just happens that potential repair costs on an electric vehicle could include the energy storage device were it to become compromised. If the EV battery could be repaired by simply replacing a smaller section of the battery pack as a whole then that repair cost would be smaller similar to an ICE repair. The fact that the EV battery is replaced as a whole at this point means the slightly less expensive repair is not an option.

To make your comparison valid would take manufacturers of ICE engines to no longer sell the parts to repair the ICE and only sell engines as a whole. At that point the cost of replacing the ICE would become something a potential purchaser would be looking at.

Edit - Funny to see that Kurlon and I saw a similar difference in the comparison

Last edited by tls25rs; 01-20-22 at 02:49 PM.

suburban ghetto living... black's Avatar

I never did on my current one. I expected 200k miles and i'd be happy if it died on 200k. I'm short 35k on my current one.( considering an a4 engine replacement currently, used)

I actually was thinking about an engine replacement with the X before selling it, with a JDM engine, but the made more sense to buy the GX.

but engine replacement actually does enter my mind these days.

At a "potential" 18-23k" battery replacement, its something to keep in mind, not a binary yes/ no.

hmmmm......

Engine specifically? No. However there is a reason why the German car is parked in the garage as a toy and the daily is a Yota.

I also researched the shit out of battery replacement and related issues before buying a hybrid. Saving on fuel to blow it on a battery is kinda stupid if cost is your primary concern. Doing research before buying a "big ticket" item is prudent for some of us no matter what the power source.

2012 Tiger 800 XC

Quote Originally Posted by black View Post
    some good info here.... Going to test drive the Mach - e today.
    Model 3 next week in Philly, while on business.

Whole new world I have to think about with electric.... range, charging network, battery type, replacement cost.
    Have fun, driving these vehicles is a hoot.

And I'm sad to report that the shocking range reduction we experienced may be the norm... Anecdotal I guess, but from multiple threads in the Mach-E forum around 130+ mile range is what people are seeing when the temps dip into the single digits or lower. Very disappointing, luckily for us it is something we can manage since 130+ mile days are pretty much unheard of. Makes us glad we went with Ford's hybrid lease though and can turn in the vehicle in 3 years.

My wife and I asked ourselves if we'd still go with the Ford knowing what we know now, our answer was yes.

Legacy automaker, awesome fun to drive, relatively inexpensive (thanks to the $7,500 rebate), and the aforementioned lease return is great piece of mind.

Ymmv.

Hyper

Interesting that you still get the rebate with a lease.

Quote Originally Posted by jeantarrou View Post
    Have fun, driving these vehicles is a hoot.

And I'm sad to report that the shocking range reduction we experienced may be the norm... Anecdotal I guess, but from multiple threads in the Mach-E forum around 130+ mile range is what people are seeing when the temps dip into the single digits or lower. Very disappointing, luckily for us it is something we can manage since 130+ mile days are pretty much unheard of. Makes us glad we went with Ford's hybrid lease though and can turn in the vehicle in 3 years.

My wife and I asked ourselves if we'd still go with the Ford knowing what we know now, our answer was yes.

Legacy automaker, awesome fun to drive, relatively inexpensive (thanks to the $7,500 rebate), and the aforementioned lease return is great piece of mind.

Ymmv.
    What trim did u get ? I drove it today.
    Interesting , not like the Audi. Not like the gx470
    It was the premium gt?
    I don't need it that fast...
    It drove differently. Probably becauseof the weight of the car. It did drive " heavy" but in a good way. Not a performance feel though. But a heavy it's solid, and it's comfortable

Quote Originally Posted by MUZ720 View Post
    Ford's workaround is the hybrid lease that isn't in fact a lease. It's a traditional loan with a balloon payment at the end of three years with an added stipulation that you can turn in the car no questions asked and not be on the hook for that final payment. That's obviously the cliff notes version, it was pages of paperwork to sign and in fairness I have a bit of skepticism because, car dealerships...

And we got the base model AWD, I just love the torque, intoxicating. Feels heavy but planted, quite a bit of oversteer though, I've read that the Mach-E does horribly on obstacle courses at pace? Totally agree on the comfort, love the seats.

And I have to add, the fit and finish is so much better than the Tesla it's crazy. The Tesla feels so cheap after driving the Ford, my wife and I felt it was equal if not better than the Volvo.

Last edited by jeantarrou; 01-20-22 at 05:11 PM.
    Hyper

I don't know what you signed? So I hope it works for you. But my understanding of that kind of loan is that one of the options is that you can trade it in and walk if the value of the car at the end is more or equal to the last payment! Otherwise your on the hook for the difference.

I don't know what you signed? So I hope it works for you. But my understanding of that kind of loan is that one of the options is that you can trade it in and walk if the value of the car at the end is more or equal to the last payment! Otherwise your on the hook for the difference.
    That certainly could be the case, and in typical fashion I haven't the slightest idea...

Probably stating the obvious seeing as I bought a first model year electric vehicle, but I'm horribly impulsive

Hyper

Normally the lease company rolls the rebate in as a cap cost reduction, but not all do, and with it being a lease you can't claim it yourself even if they don't.

Mistake - 1992 WR250ZD / 2000 LS650P / 2019 KTM 150SX / 2016 KTM 250XC / 2016 KTM 500XC W

Quote Originally Posted by black View Post
    some good info here.... Going to test drive the Mach - e today.
    Model 3 next week in Philly, while on business.

Whole new world I have to think about with electric.... range, charging network, battery type, replacement cost.
    First time seen in the wild. Not quite wild: MIT.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Here comes the electric pickup-e216baad-113b-4b05-984b-f977a4cec1b1   Here comes the electric pickup-3d3228cd-adf6-4abf-bf8f-78eb64927912   Here comes the electric pickup-43622777-05a8-4345-83c9-548bddd1803c  

ďIf at first you donít succeed - donít become a Paratrooper.Ē

Hypertarded

And I'm sad to report that the shocking range reduction we experienced may be the norm... Anecdotal I guess, but from multiple threads in the Mach-E forum around 130+ mile range is what people are seeing when the temps dip into the single digits or lower.....
    Is this after your dealer Appt for the reflash?? Either way, that's a

Thanks for sharing your real world experience

Quote Originally Posted by FriskyDingo View Post
    Is this after your dealer Appt for the reflash?? Either way, that's a

Thanks for sharing your real world experience
    Yes, and when I spoke with the tech guy while dropping off the vehicle it became clear that I wasn't the only one that'd come in with this concern. Clearly I'd gotten lip service from the service manager over the phone...

On another note, driving the Mach-E down to Atlantic City tomorrow, my first road trip. Going into it with low expectations and no strict timeline to get there so if anything I'm looking forward to the adventure of it lol

Hyper

Yes, and when I spoke with the tech guy while dropping off the vehicle it became clear that I wasn't the only one that'd come in with this concern. Clearly I'd gotten lip service from the service manager over the phone...

On another note, driving the Mach-E down to Atlantic City tomorrow, my first road trip. Going into it with low expectations and no strict timeline to get there so if anything I'm looking forward to the adventure of it lol
    Atlantic City and high expectation never go well together.....

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    hmmmm......

Super-Dooper User ɹǝʍoןandɹǝʍoן's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Garandman View Post
    First time seen in the wild. Not quite wild: MIT.
    I read this whole thread it was very interesting.

First bev I rode in was a white mustang Mach e gt, and I currently run a gen 2 Prius. Will need to grab an inverter for using it as a backup when the powers out at home. Great tips in this thread.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

current: 06 zx6r, 03 450exc
    sold: 01 gsxr750, 01 RC51, 96 cr500, 98 superhawk, 00 sv650, 78 cb750, 98 dr350, 74 cb125