Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Here comes the electric pickup

Re: Here comes the electric pickup

I miss my Volt. Hands down one of the best cars GM ever built.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Two friends in Boston have Gen 2 Volts and charge them at home overnight. One uses so little gas that according to him the engine only comes on for the maintenance cycle.

There’s a lengthy thread on Advrider. Looked for one before we got the Prius V but there were none nearby close to our budget. For a city runabout it’s tough to beat: 36mpg in traffic.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by Garandman; 12-27-21 at 11:37 AM.
    “If at first you don’t succeed - don’t become a Paratrooper.”

Email I received today:

"Thank you for your preorder and your commitment to helping us create a more sustainable world. Now that production is ramping up at our plant, we’re able to provide a more accurate estimate of your delivery window.

Your Adventure Package R1T estimated delivery window is October - December 2022."

5 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    -Clayton
    2021 KTM Duke 890 R
    2006 Suzuki SV650
    1982 Honda CB750F Super Sport

Hypertarded

First, congrats on your truck order, Nov 22 will be here in the blink of an eye.

Second, I am ambivalent about electric vehicles, no hate no love

Quote Originally Posted by TheIglu View Post
    "Thank you for your preorder and your commitment to helping us create a more sustainable world..... ."
    But this BULLSHIT is simply delusional, like batteries are made from unicorn farts. Now I'm no crazy tree hugger & don't give 2 shits about China or their environment, but this is the result of battery production:

Here comes the electric pickup-china-massive-toxic-lake-jpg
    a man made toxic lake of TECH sludge, let's see how long that's sustainable when 50% of all vehicles are battery powered.

-1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Development Rider scottieducati's Avatar

Here comes the electric pickup

Articles taking about that lake are 7 years old. Waste comes from everything, smartphones, TVs, you name it. Considering the batteries in EVs will be repurposed and recycled, they’re going to have a far more positive “impact” than your regular consumer shit that gets tossed after a year or two.

It’s not even close if you want to compare the environmental impact of EVs and gas burning ICEs over their entire life. A new EV still beats running the perfectly good ICE car you *already own* when you account for its production while discounting the ICE production.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by scottieducati; 12-28-21 at 03:10 PM.

CCS/LRRS #83

Quote Originally Posted by FriskyDingo View Post
    First, congrats on your truck order, Nov 22 will be here in the blink of an eye.

Second, I am ambivalent about electric vehicles, no hate no love

But this BULLSHIT is simply delusional, like batteries are made from unicorn farts. Now I'm no crazy tree hugger & don't give 2 shits about China or their environment, but this is the result of battery production:

Here comes the electric pickup-china-massive-toxic-lake-jpg
    a man made toxic lake of TECH sludge, let's see how long that's sustainable when 50% of all vehicles are battery powered.

Toxic lake of coal ash.

Toxic lake of petroleum drilling wastewater.

Toxic lake of radioactive nuclear cooling water.

Modern battery production is incredibly clean compared to producing gasoline and that article is a scare tactic to protect the interests of the oil industry.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    -Clayton
    2021 KTM Duke 890 R
    2006 Suzuki SV650

Toxic lake of coal ash.

Toxic lake of petroleum drilling wastewater.

Toxic lake of radioactive nuclear cooling water.

Modern battery production is incredibly clean compared to producing gasoline and that article is a scare tactic to protect the interests of the oil industry.
    I don't have a dog in the fight either way but showcasing battery production pollution and then turning around and saying "OMG look how bad EVs are for the environment!!11" is deeply misleading. The people who make that argument never, ever apply the same critical lens to ICE development or the petroleum industry.

'02 Ducati 998, '08 Ducati HyperMotard 1100S, '14 Subaru XV Crosstrek

Hypothetically, if everyone has an electric vehicle how many new power plants need to be built to produce the electricity needed to charge them all?

Quote Originally Posted by MUZ720 View Post
    Hypothetically, if everyone has an electric vehicle how many new power plants need to be built to produce the electricity needed to charge them all?
    Last I heard on the studies done, the transition won't be an issue at all, especially considering it will be step by step instead of an immediate shift.

One thing I've seen no solutions for, is apartments and cities with no garages or access to charging while at home, which is one of the biggest draws.

Guess It will keep all the electricians employed for some time to come... not that you can get one now! Battery recycling is another issue at the moment also. And would you buy a used electric vehicle?

Last edited by MUZ720; 12-28-21 at 07:29 PM.

I’d be curious to see the # of plants needed to manufacture batteries & the amount needed to handle the populations power consumption in relation to the number of refineries no longer needed for limited ICE production?

EV’s have a lot of potential if the power originated from the right sources but I have a feeling big brother will just creep the fuel taxes up and up until we are forced to go EV then see our power come from coal plants after our hands are tied and need power regardless after the loss of ICE’s.

Then again, setting up an at-home solar station for your car isn’t too difficult & some EV stations I saw while crossing the country this summer were independent solar gigs.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    LRRS #782

Guess It will keep all the electricians employed for some time to come... not that you can get one now! Battery recycling is another issue at the moment also. And would you by a used electric vehicle?
    I personally? I'd like to go electric but my commuting situation lacks any utility by going EV. My work is just a few miles away and same with the Mrs. Gas is hardly a factor in regular commuting and in the summer I take out the ICE toys anyway.

I'd be open to a plug in hybrid however. Seems to make the most sense in my situation.

Unfortunately again the only one available in the car selection we'd want isnt reliable enough to trust (Volvo XC90 T8 - Supercharged, Turbocharged and Plugin Hybrid).

We were looking into the Hyundai Tucson plug in hybrid. But could not find one in NH . I think that's the best overall solution from a range perspective.

Looks like you need five to ten solar panels just to charge your EV

Last edited by MUZ720; 12-28-21 at 07:29 PM.

Guess It will keep all the electricians employed for some time to come... not that you can get one now! Battery recycling is another issue at the moment also. And would you buy a used electric vehicle?
    Battery recycling isn’t an issue. Tesla end of life batteries get recycled into stationary storage batteries. As ev production increases, recycling is and will be handled. They’re not going to waste the materials.

Quote Originally Posted by jimmycapp View Post
    Battery recycling isn’t an issue. Tesla end of life batteries get recycled into stationary storage batteries. As ev production increases, recycling is and will be handled. They’re not going to waste the materials.
    There’s already a market recycling catalytic converters!

The Gorilla in the corner of the room is nuclear power. 19% of US power generation is nuclear. France is 70%, Finland 34%.

Solar and wind will advance but not clear that could meet future demands, although storage technology is improving.

DC fast charging networks are improving. We’re used to stopping at a gas station for fuel, but need to reimagine refueling to make EV’s viable for more. Imagine if every time you stopped for grocery shopping, a NH Liquor store, the gym, or the track, you plugged in.

Last edited by Garandman; 12-29-21 at 08:42 AM.
    “If at first you don’t succeed - don’t become a Paratrooper.”

Solar and wind can absolutely meet demand, with storage capability and modern transmission improvements.

-Clayton
    2021 KTM Duke 890 R
    2006 Suzuki SV650

Quote Originally Posted by Garandman View Post
    There’s already a market recycling catalytic converters!

The Gorilla in the corner of the room is nuclear power. 19% of US power generation is nuclear. France is 70%, Finland 34%.

Solar and wind will advance but not clear that could meet future demands, although storage technology is improving.

DC fast charging networks are improving. We’re used to stopping at a gas station for fuel, but need to reimagine refueling to make EV’s viable for more. Imagine if every time you stopped for grocery shopping, a NH Liquor store, the gym, or the track, you plugged in.
    New Englands power grid is currently 30% nuclear

https://www.iso-ne.com/

Quote Originally Posted by xrocket21 View Post
    New Englands power grid is currently 30% nuclear

https://www.iso-ne.com/
    and dropping rapidly.....

at the cost of increasing carbon emissions no less. I guess climate change isn't a thing if you're also anti-nuclear.....

Last edited by e30addict; 12-29-21 at 10:43 AM.
    2012 Tiger 800 XC

Quote Originally Posted by e30addict View Post
    and dropping rapidly.....

at the cost of increasing carbon emissions no less. I guess climate change isn't a thing if you're also anti-nuclear.....
    Good point. There is no other means to producing clean electricity, and there will never be.

END OF DISCUSSION

Right?

-Clayton
    2021 KTM Duke 890 R
    2006 Suzuki SV650

Good point. There is no other means to producing clean electricity, and there will never be.

END OF DISCUSSION

Right?
    You have to find it ironic that shutting down nuclear plants actually increases the carbon footprint New England has, especially since a lot of those states are the ones "leading" the climate change charge. Unintended consequences and all that. It's like the animal cruelty law that would have shut off the egg supply in MA that had to be changed at the last minute. Sounded good in theory, in practice not so much.

It's stupid to leave nuclear out of the equation. The tech has developed to be more cost effective and safer yet the old fears of the 70s still have it cock blocked.

MIT has some interesting "future of" studies that look at things from several different angles. https://energy.mit.edu/studies-reports/

Last edited by e30addict; 12-29-21 at 11:12 AM.
    2012 Tiger 800 XC

I'm not saying nuclear isn't an option.

But it shouldn't be the only option.

When nuclear goes wrong, the impacts are devastating and catastrophic. And the plants being decommissioned locally are mostly well past their originally planned useful operating life. Correct me if I'm wrong.

It's also incredibly slow to build and connect to the grid due to the complexity.

Keep building new, modern, safe nuclear power plants. But also pick up the pace of on-shore and off-shore wind, and solar.

With the inevitable electrification of the transportation sector (we have to. There is no "continue to dump massive amounts of carbon into the atmosphere" option), we'll need to upgrade our grid to be resilient, smart, and efficient. We also need storage for solar/wind since it isn't "on-demain". Currently, the way New England fills in those power peaks are by on-demand natural gas electricity generation. While cleaner than coal/oil/etc, it's still not ideal. That is where nuclear fits in. Smaller, fast responding nuclear plants are a great option for times of no sun/wind, or peak energy demands.

As battery storage gets better, more and more peaks can be filled in with storage capacity from excess solar/wind power and nuclear will be needed even less.

-Clayton
    2021 KTM Duke 890 R
    2006 Suzuki SV650

But it shouldn't be the only option.

When nuclear goes wrong, the impacts are devastating and catastrophic. And the plants being decommissioned locally are mostly well past their originally planned useful operating life. Correct me if I'm wrong.

It's also incredibly slow to build and connect to the grid due to the complexity.

Keep building new, modern, safe nuclear power plants. But also pick up the pace of on-shore and off-shore wind, and solar.

With the inevitable electrification of the transportation sector (we have to. There is no "continue to dump massive amounts of carbon into the atmosphere" option), we'll need to upgrade our grid to be resilient, smart, and efficient. We also need storage for solar/wind since it isn't "on-demain". Currently, the way New England fills in those power peaks are by on-demand natural gas electricity generation. While cleaner than coal/oil/etc, it's still not ideal. That is where nuclear fits in. Smaller, fast responding nuclear plants are a great option for times of no sun/wind, or peak energy demands.

As battery storage gets better, more and more peaks can be filled in with storage capacity from excess solar/wind power and nuclear will be needed even less.
    I wouldn't disagree with any of that.

Nuclear "going wrong" can be far from the catastrophic type events we've seen so far. There has been a lot of advances in the tech and the biggest drawback right now is new construction costs. If the public opinion shifted both of those would change rapidly.

The "all of the above" approach to renewable types of energy is the smarter play in my mind vs. solar/wind/storage will magically be ready in time for what we've decreed as a timeline.

2012 Tiger 800 XC

As battery storage get more common, it will fill in more and more. My sister has a double Tesla power wall at home. Part of the deal is that the power company can draw down her batteries at peak times. And they do. They draw it right down to 0 at times and then backfill it at night.

3 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Paul_E_D

Development Rider scottieducati's Avatar

Looks like you need five to ten solar panels just to charge your EV
    Maybe if the battery is empty. It won’t be though. Most people drive < 50 miles a day. Easily achieved with small solar.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CCS/LRRS #83