Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Long Commute for Dream Job?

Long Commute for Dream Job?

After years of networking/searching I may have found my dream job working in the 2-wheeled industry. Only problem is it's currently 85 miles away, one-way. I just moved for the girl's new job (she has <10mile commute) so the potential of moving is there but not for a while. At least not until the current lease is up.

Aside from being in an industry I love surrounded by like-minded people, this job has the potential to help me tremendously in my career and future aspirations pending I don't screw it up. However, the job could pay a little less at first and the commuting miles would certainly add to my expenses. I DO NOT love my current job but it is "tolerable" and pays the bills and then some.

~3hours/day isn't so bad, right? My Triumph Explorer can eat up those miles easily. What do you think??

1 Not allowed!

Re: Long Commute for Dream Job?

Will the job bring you more happiness than the commute will take away?

1 Not allowed!
    2012 Tiger 800, 2007 DR650, 2012 WR250R

To me, it would depend on the mode of transportation required for the actual commute.

I could do 90 minutes each way by train all day, every day -- read, watch movies, sleep. That's easy. Boring, but easy.

I commuted from Portland to Boston for about 6 months, doing it during off-hours so no traffic. Boring, and you can't do anything other than drive. It sucked. Not frustrating, but a waste of time. 4 hours/day driving at a minimum.

I could never do 90 minutes each way if it was in bumper-to-bumper traffic. I would kill everyone around me before the end of the first week.

170 miles per day is ~41,000 miles a year. On a bike, that's a lot chains, sprockets, and tires... I'd buy a Corolla or a Cruze and drive.

1 Not allowed!
    Last edited by number9; 05-18-18 at 05:14 PM.
    '08 Ducati HyperMotard 1100S, '14 Subaru XV Crosstrek

Quote Originally Posted by e30addict View Post
    Will the job bring you more happiness than the commute will take away?
    Most likely but it's one of those things that's hard to evaluate until you're in the new job. Right now I don't see a future nor am I motivated for a future in my current company or even a similar corporate function. I already see the path I want to go down with the new gig and the doors it could open. Or maybe I'm just dreaming...

Quote Originally Posted by number9 View Post
    To me, it would depend on the mode of transportation required for the actual commute.

I could do 90 minutes each way by train all day, every day -- read, watch movies, sleep. That's easy. Boring, but easy.

I commuted from Portland to Boston for about 6 months, doing it during off-hours so no traffic. Boring, and you can't do anything other than drive. It sucked. Not frustrating, but a waste of time. 4 hours/day driving at a minimum.

I could never do 90 minutes each way if it was in bumper-to-bumper traffic. I would kill everyone around me before the end of the first week.

170 miles per day is ~41,000 miles a year. On a bike, that's a lot chains, sprockets, and tires... I'd buy a Corolla or a Cruze and drive.
    Good thing the Triumph is shaft-drive! ha!

I would be reverse commuting so virtually no traffic in either direction, however, I'd still want to take the bike in case traffic does build. I am looking at high MPG vehicles right now just in case.

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by OneCheekRider View Post
    Most likely but it's one of those things that's hard to evaluate until you're in the new job. Right now I don't see a future nor am I motivated for a future in my current company or even a similar corporate function. I already see the path I want to go down with the new gig and the doors it could open. Or maybe I'm just dreaming...

Good thing the Triumph is shaft-drive! ha!

I would be reverse commuting so virtually no traffic in either direction, however, I'd still want to take the bike in case traffic does build. I am looking at high MPG vehicles right now just in case.
    Sounds like you should give the job a try. More upside than downside than your current situation from what it sounds.

You'll go through tires more on the bike, but I'd bet the increased fuel efficiency makes the total cost between a boring high MPG and a bike pretty close. When doing a total cost comparison if you're trying to find the cheapest option, make sure you account for increased maintenance, tires, insurance reg costs etc.... on another car as well. Replacement costs of both car and bike are something most people forget about as well, at least I did when I first started thinking about another vehicle.

1 Not allowed!
    Last edited by e30addict; 05-18-18 at 05:38 PM.
    2012 Tiger 800, 2007 DR650, 2012 WR250R

This is in SoCal, or New England??

0 Not allowed!
    Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet
    Close your eyes, look deep in your soul, step outside yourself and let your mind go.

Hypertarded

However, the job could pay a little less at first and the commuting miles would certainly add to my expenses. I DO NOT love my current job but it is "tolerable" and pays the bills and then some.

~3hours/day isn't so bad, right? My Triumph Explorer can eat up those miles easily. What do you think??
    Also time VS pay wise, assuming a 1 hour commute currently, your looking at an additional 10 hours-wk/400+ hours-yr/10 additional 40 hour-weeks of "commute time".(estimating holidays/sick time, etc) How much further would those additional hours lower your pay VS currently?

I am looking at high MPG vehicles right now just in case.
    Being in CA with incentives I'd say run the numbers on an electric commuter , fuel saving & no oil changes, etc...I have a "motor head" friend who lives out west and has a Nissan Leaf as a commuter, fuels it with solar panels on his roof and saves $$$ over using his motorcycles or BMW for commuting.

1 Not allowed!

3 hrs per day? More than a third added to a 40 hr week. I couldnít justify it. Time commuting is time wasted, period. Yeah you can do whatever on a train, but why not do that in the office or from the comfort of home?

Iíve done Augusta to Boston more times than I can count for 15+ years. Time wasted (with the awesome benefit of highway travel risk) that I canít get back or buy more of. Probably pretty obvious I hate commuting! Good luck either way, you may find the job worth it to you.

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Chippertheripper View Post
    This is in SoCal, or New England??
    SoCal. I moved here end of 2015

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by gixxer72 View Post
    3 hrs per day? More than a third added to a 40 hr week. I couldn’t justify it. Time commuting is time wasted, period. Yeah you can do whatever on a train, but why not do that in the office or from the comfort of home?

I’ve done Augusta to Boston more times than I can count for 15+ years. Time wasted (with the awesome benefit of highway travel risk) that I can’t get back or buy more of. Probably pretty obvious I hate commuting! Good luck either way, you may find the job worth it to you.
    Maybe I'm beginning to resent my current job but pretty sure I waste more than 3hrs/day

kinda like this:

1 Not allowed!
    Last edited by OneCheekRider; 05-18-18 at 06:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by gixxer72 View Post
    3 hrs per day? More than a third added to a 40 hr week.
    40 hours a week = LOL

0 Not allowed!

Drop the girl and move...only way to beat the SoCal traffic in the long run is to live close to work...I am outta Long Beach by fall!

I won’t move for a girl unless it’s ball and chain already with runts (engaged doesn’t mean $hit anymore)...I would definitely move for a dream job

0 Not allowed!
    FREE $10 UBER CREDIT W' PROMO CODE --> PON41
    1994 Yamaha YZ250 CA Street Legal 2-smoke
    instagram @cali2t

Quote Originally Posted by Not Sure View Post
    40 hours a week = LOL
    Yeah? Youíre doing it wrong.

0 Not allowed!

SoCal non exempt above 40hrs is OT!

0 Not allowed!
    FREE $10 UBER CREDIT W' PROMO CODE --> PON41
    1994 Yamaha YZ250 CA Street Legal 2-smoke
    instagram @cali2t

I can't think of any jobs that pay less than $200,000 per year that I would take that commute for, and the only reason I would take the higher paying ones for is that I could retire sooner. Either way, you are giving up way too much of your life to working. Of course, for some it is a necessity and for others their careers ARE their lives. My goal, though, is to make more time, not more money. I love my job, but I love my free time way more.

1 Not allowed!

3 hours a day of travel? If it were me, hell no!

0 Not allowed!

I just took an even longer commute to get promotion at my job. For me it’s a step I had to do to reach a specific level in ma agememt. I made it clear I need to get closer within a year. We ll see what happens.

0 Not allowed!

Even in So Cal the bike is bad idea except for a novelty
    It does rain , is hot, yes there is lane splitting but on any bike you have to be paying attention

You and the woman would have to have a plan with a time limit like 2 years. Also is there a flea bag motel to crash at for cheap
    Then either of you move back, break up etc.

Tired riding and driving is like drunk driving... I commuted 1 1/2 hours into the sun both ways and dozed off a couple of times
    no accidents but scary

When all else fails move to TEXAS

0 Not allowed!
    The calculus of hate

It is not that I should win it is that you should lose
    It is not that I succeed it is that you fail
    It is not that I should live it is that you should die

I had am 86 mile commute once .

Berkshire, VT to Montpelier , VT

I rode a Hayabusa and could be in triple digits 90 % of the way safely .

It got to be really, really to much.

I was super glad after 6 months when it was over.

0 Not allowed!
    TIMMYDUCK

It all depends on what other out of work commitments you have. For me, I couldn’t do it... too many activities with my family that I’d miss during the week.

0 Not allowed!
    2003 ZX7R
    1995 916

If it's the Dream job your looking for I say go for it! You won't know if it's real until you try. If after a few weeks/months it turns out to be indeed what you are looking for. You could always rent an apartment and stay during the week. And commute on weekends. I know more then a few friends who did this. Then moved closer when ready. The grass is not always greener but you never know if you don't try. Good Luck.

0 Not allowed!
    Last edited by MUZ720; 05-19-18 at 07:40 AM.

Just gave my notice at current job mainly due to commute. 140 mi (3-4 hrs) round trip in the early portion of rush hour. It was more so the crazy traffic than the distance itself that burnt me out.

0 Not allowed!

Anything more than an hour each way is too much. That’s my personal threshold.
    Obviously, commuting by bike is better if it’s not too hot or too cold. That’s all I got.

0 Not allowed!
    Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet
    Close your eyes, look deep in your soul, step outside yourself and let your mind go.

Can you be realistic about your ability to progress? If it was a dream job that leads to a dream career, how long would that take? 6 months, 2 years, 10 years?

If it's a relatively short amount of time, then yeah, I would make the sacrifice. But if it's "Oh slug this out for 10 years and then we'll see", that's obviously a much different proposition.

That being said, if you're not moving to take the job, what's the worst that could happen? You get sick of it, you quit, and you're still in L.A. It seems like there's not that much downside when you think about it.

I think it's worth a shot.

0 Not allowed!
    '08 Ducati HyperMotard 1100S, '14 Subaru XV Crosstrek

Quote Originally Posted by number9 View Post
    Can you be realistic about your ability to progress? If it was a dream job that leads to a dream career, how long would that take? 6 months, 2 years, 10 years?

If it's a relatively short amount of time, then yeah, I would make the sacrifice. But if it's "Oh slug this out for 10 years and then we'll see", that's obviously a much different proposition.

That being said, if you're not moving to take the job, what's the worst that could happen? You get sick of it, you quit, and you're still in L.A. It seems like there's not that much downside when you think about it.

I think it's worth a shot.
    This.

I currently commute 35 miles each way at an average time of 65 minutes each way. I must be out the door at 6:30 and I don't get back home til around 6:30 working 8-5ish. So, to be sure I'm on-time every day for an 8-hour job with a 1 hour lunch, I commit 12 hours a day. It costs me $6 in gas per day because my car gets 35 mpg. Then, I like to translate how much time you have to spend at work to earn back the fuel cost. Now you're talking like, 4.5 hours out of 12 spent just to go to work for 7.5 hours earned, roughly.

0 Not allowed!
    Last edited by golden chicken; 05-19-18 at 10:36 AM.
    What's the difference between a bolt and a screw?
    First you screw, then you bolt.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast