Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Long Commute for Dream Job?

Re: Long Commute for Dream Job?

I commute ~2hr per day on the Boston north shore area. Well outside the city, but close enough to experience the traffic. I’m up at 4:45 to work 6:30-3:00 to avoid sitting in too much traffic. It’s draining. I hate it. I’m not sure what can suck a soul more; a shitty job or a shitty commute.

Good luck with your decision.

1 Not allowed!

I did this for about three years. The commute robbed me of all my free time and a considerable amount of my sleep -- would never do it again.

Some people manage to make this work if their spouse does all the work around the house, or if they only need to come in a couple of times per week. I wasn't so lucky.

Ultimately the job wasn't as good as I thought it would be, I remember it was tough looking for other jobs when I had no spare time.

0 Not allowed!
    Joe
    04 Thruxton (Street)
    01 SV650 (Track)
    75 CB400F (Future Vintage Racer)
    68 BSA Royal Star (Garage Floor Lubricator)

I can’t even begin to imagine how much commuting that distance will be, with today’s shitty drivers and over 50% of the morons on the road playing with their phones.
    What am I missing, in the MC industry that will pay a salary worth commuting more than a half hour for?

Unless travel time pay and vehicle mileage are being reimbursed, I wouldn’t even consider it.

1 Not allowed!
    Yamaha

A Big Powerful Sportbike

Quote Originally Posted by OneCheekRider View Post
    After years of networking/searching I may have found my dream job working in the 2-wheeled industry. Only problem is it's currently 85 miles away, one-way. I just moved for the girl's new job (she has <10mile commute) so the potential of moving is there but not for a while. At least not until the current lease is up.//
    What did you decide?

0 Not allowed!
    1975 BMW R90/6 | 2008 Triumph Tiger 1050 ABS | 2009 Honda CRF100F | 2009 Yamaha TrailWay 200 | 2012 Yamaha WR250R | 2016 Honda CB500FA | 2016 Suzuki GSX-R750

Quote Originally Posted by Garandman View Post
    What did you decide?
    As of right now still undecided. Meeting with the CEO of the company (hopefully) this week to hash out more details.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

0 Not allowed!

Not to be depressive but...

I think the hay day of motorcycling is over.. Millennial's and younger are ONLY interested in their phones etc.
    Not saying there will be no motorcycles in the future but it isn't a growth industry IMO

0 Not allowed!
    The calculus of hate

It is not that I should win it is that you should lose
    It is not that I succeed it is that you fail
    It is not that I should live it is that you should die

I gave up reading towards the end of page 1, but I don't think the question is really even about the new job, I think it is about your current one.

Can you easily find a job to replace the one you have close to home that will put you in a similar state of "Eh, good enough i guess"?

If so then take the new one and see what happens. If it doesn't work out, fall back on something closer to home for the time being.

1 Not allowed!

I basically did the same thing taking my dream job with a 70 mile commute. I got lucky and have no traffic + mostly highway. It takes me about an hour and 15 each way so i'm losing 2.5hrs a day to my commute. I've been doing that for a year and a half now. I love the job and the company i'm working for which makes things easier but some weeks it is tough. I only work Mon-Fri so I always have weekends off which is nice. Some weeks if work is busy though i'm leaving the house at 7:00Am and note getting home until 8:00PM . . . . those suck

Its a toss up and really depends on you as a person. Also think about family life I'm lucky to be doing this while single and 29. But a wife might not be so happy with never seeing you. Its been an issue with more then a couple girlfriends I've had.

1 Not allowed!

www.bostonmoto.com
    2009 Zx-6r--17,680 miles and counting!!
    2008 ZZR600 - - - 10,268 miles totaled
    Ride to live, live to ride

85 miles from LA area means IE...the 91 can suck...plus most guys that moto commutes for long enough get hit by a bad driver

0 Not allowed!
    FREE $10 UBER CREDIT W' PROMO CODE --> PON41
    1994 Yamaha YZ250 CA Street Legal 2-smoke :smoke: ** 2005 Kawasaki Ninja 500R **
    instagram @veshlife

I've been commuting to Boston from 25 miles northwest for the last 11 (edit:12, fuck me) years.
    In that time I have determined that an alarming number of seemingly normal adults eat their own boogers.
    It's true.

3 Not allowed!
    Last edited by Tricky Mike; 05-29-18 at 01:04 PM.

We need a hand sign or something. I had forgotten what Tricky looks like, but clearly he saw me commutin'...

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by nhbubba View Post
    We need a hand sign or something. I had forgotten what Tricky looks like, but clearly he saw me commutin'...
    Just imagine the dreamiest dreamboat that ever dreamed. Thats Turkey.

2 Not allowed!
    Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet
    Close your eyes, look deep in your soul, step outside yourself and let your mind go.

Quote Originally Posted by breakdirt916 View Post
    85 miles from LA area means IE...the 91 can suck...plus most guys that moto commutes for long enough get hit by a bad driver
    Looks like it will be cheaper for me to sell one of my bikes and get a high MPG (used) car since there shouldn't be much traffic. I'm coming up on 3 years of moto commuting as it is, primarily on the 405, although I recently moved and while I'm still on the 405 I'm now taking the 101 which seems a little more treacherous with no carpool lane. Let's just say the barkbusters have done their job.

1 Not allowed!

Hypertarded

maybe you can commute thru one of Elons "HOLES"

Long Commute for Dream Job?-200wloop-gif

why do my .gif images not work when uploaded unless you click on them?? they use to autorun in the post.....

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Stromper View Post
    Not to be depressive but...

I think the hay day of motorcycling is over.. Millennial's and younger are ONLY interested in their phones etc.
    Not saying there will be no motorcycles in the future but it isn't a growth industry IMO
    I'm currently in WV helping to corrupt a 23 y/o. There's still hope.

1 Not allowed!
    2012 Tiger 800, 2007 DR650, 2012 WR250R

I commute about 30 feet to my desk so take this with a grain of salt, but...

If your career is everything then you do whatever it takes. For years my father and step mom commuted from midcoast Maine to Albany, NY several times per week. Their jobs are #1 and everything else is secondary. They have been tremendously successful in part because they don't let a little suffering stand in the way of opportunities. But - that's an innate quality of their personalities. The rest of us regular humans wear out pretty quickly when there's no room for other interests.

If you've made up your mind that you want to have X job in 5 years, or make X dollars in 3 years, whatever it is, I say bring on the suffering and just do it. It doesn't have to be permanent. Unless you have another opportunity lined up, or this one is shaky at best, you'll probably regret not doing it more than doing it and regretting it. If you know what I mean...

1 Not allowed!
    05GSXR75005SV65090DR350

aint raising grass, raising kids

0 Not allowed!
    The calculus of hate

I would be reverse commuting so virtually no traffic in either direction, however, I'd still want to take the bike in case traffic does build. I am looking at high MPG vehicles right now just in case.
    i'd say go for it to try the job...if it works out you may move...def get a small glove box on wheels or a hybrid for the rainy days...my round trip commute is about 86 miles which includes driving through providence and 99% is highway...and i would increase it a little if i could guarantee that i wouldn't hit traffic or construction but i've been commuting like this for 14+ years now and it sucks...not sure how much it would suck with a way longer commute minus the traffic plus a dream job...i think i would still hate it cause for me all it comes down to is time...if there is any way i can cut down on time sitting in my car it would be great aside from moving cause i love where i live...so that comes down to traffic and construction...i can come in early and leave early but i usually still hit some traffic at some point...so i'm not getting paid for the 2+ extra hours a day i'm sitting in my car...i work to live i don't live to work

1 Not allowed!
    bike: none but i have a seafoam green 125cc scooter
    Point37s Garage Sale Thread

For a couple of years I commuted on a Suzuki Burgman 650

Quiet, fast , stay dry, stayed clean, great sealed storage, automatic

drag raced some 600's and only lost by like 2 lengths, still could out run doofeses in the twisties

0 Not allowed!
    The calculus of hate

So I'd say my feedback is pretty valuable here since about 8 months ago I made the same decision...

I accepted an 80 mile commute (one way) to leverage a career opportunity. I took a job with a Biotech company that is known for it's great culture and the job itself is a huge mark on my resume. I'm in supply chain with a decent background, but getting some time with a top-tier forward-thinking company in a regulated environment is a nice thing to have in my job history. My logic was worst-case scenario I dish it out for two years and move on. My hope was that the flexibility and optimal culture would offset the commute.

After 8 months I can say that the commute is getting to me. Traffic actually isn't too bad. Most of the time it adds between 5 and 10 minutes total to the drive, but 80 miles is still 80 miles even with no traffic. There are some days that are brutal (like when there's an accident etc.) but for the most part it's pretty consistent so I have that going for me.

The company itself is fantastic. They offer lot's of flexibility in that we don't have to be there by a specific time etc. The general mentality is as long as you're getting your work done no one cares when you come and go, or where you are. That being said I'm able to get a day or two from home each week which makes a huge difference. The problem is I'm seeing a lot of value in being at the office. I'm in a senior role and having that face time with the team is important. Frankly, when I look back on my career I'm realizing that the "benefit" of working from home is not as big of a deal as I expected. Yes, it's nice, but I'd trade it for a 30 minute or less commute any day.

In a nutshell I feel it was a wise decision because having this experience will be a huge gain for me, but I'll be planning my exit after two years.

One key point...I don't live to work. If you are the type of person who's career is everything then by all means do what needs to be done. If you prefer a blend of work-life balance then I assure you the commute will become a problem over time and your idea of a "dream job" will evolve as a result.

1 Not allowed!

As of right now still undecided. Meeting with the CEO of the company (hopefully) this week to hash out more details.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Good luck Mike! Another year buddy and its AZ!

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by BSR6 View Post

One key point...I don't live to work. If you are the type of person who's career is everything then by all means do what needs to be done. If you prefer a blend of work-life balance then I assure you the commute will become a problem over time and your idea of a "dream job" will evolve as a result.
    While I condensed your quote, I sincerely appreciate all your words. I see this job either a) working out and I move closer to it or b) not working out and at least I'm not stuck in a small town.

The company I'd be working for has group mountain bike rides before/after/during work so while the commute goes up, I'm hoping my exercising will go up as well. I have as many bicycles as I do motorcycles!

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Kenn157 View Post
    Good luck Mike! Another year buddy and its AZ!
    Ya buddy! I drove through AZ this weekend, we'll definitely need to get some riding in when you make it out west!

1 Not allowed!

While I condensed your quote, I sincerely appreciate all your words. I see this job either a) working out and I move closer to it or b) not working out and at least I'm not stuck in a small town.

The company I'd be working for has group mountain bike rides before/after/during work so while the commute goes up, I'm hoping my exercising will go up as well. I have as many bicycles as I do motorcycles!
    One key point I missed in your post is that moving is an option, just not right away. To me this factor is a huge game changer. In that case, go for it. In reality it's only temporary if you have the option to move in a year or so.

Honestly, it took until now (8 months as I check the calendar) to start feeling my commute. Even then I'm still ok with it. To me the issue is I can now say for sure it's something that will wear more and more over time and I know in another year or so I will burn out.

That being said, if you need to deal with it for a year or two then you'll be fine.

1 Not allowed!

Wait, there are jobs in the moto industry that will pay enough to cover your gas?

0 Not allowed!
    Paul_E_D

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast