Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Long Commute for Dream Job?

Re: Long Commute for Dream Job?

Quote Originally Posted by tsorfas View Post
    Was discussing this with a peer who has been in this company for 20 years and another friend who changes jobs every year. Legit every hear. Mind blowing to be in the middle of it. Both made great points about their WHYs and how it benefits them.
    There's companies out there that you can do that with but they're certainly the vast minority.

1 Not allowed!
    -Alex
    I can resist everything but Pete's mom.

Quote Originally Posted by tsorfas View Post
    Was discussing this with a peer who has been in this company for 20 years and another friend who changes jobs every year. Legit every hear. Mind blowing to be in the middle of it. Both made great points about their WHYs and how it benefits them.
    A friend of a friend spent 10 years at a job before interviewing for a new position. They grilled him on why he would stay at one company for so long - they felt like that was an indicator of someone who possibly wasn't ambitious/hard working enough. He ended up getting the job, but I found that surprising.

0 Not allowed!

I never came across that ^ personally. Insane that loyalty has turned into a bad thing. Even within my existing company I try to not stay in the same role/location longer than 18 months.

0 Not allowed!

at a lot of places loyalty doesn't mean squat lol...big companies don't pay you more nor do they care about your life...they are equally not loyal to you and would be happy to performance you out in an instant if the wrong manager just doesn't like you. some of my staff are outstanding and they are maxed out of an hourly rate. some of our raises were $0.04 until there were no raises if you like your manager/lifestyle, then sure...stick around. but if you want to make more money, being flexible is another way to do it in this economic climate.

0 Not allowed!
    Last edited by breakdirt916; 07-02-19 at 10:58 AM.
    FREE $10 UBER CREDIT W' PROMO CODE --> PON41
    1994 Yamaha YZ250 CA Street Legal 2-smoke :smoke: ** 2005 Kawasaki Ninja 500R **
    instagram @veshlife

Quote Originally Posted by breakdirt916 View Post
    damn...sucks to hear about the job, but man do I admire that:
    1.) you have the perspective to know when to back out and move on - can't tell you how many skilled people I've met that just stay at the wrong place forever
    2.) extensive analysis for cost savings and growth strategies - at the point I'm at (still a noobie at work), the skills and experience to drive results are almost more important than the outcome. that sticks with you forever and will help you succeed almost anywhere. I'm sure the right company would pay big $$ for that
    3.) Reddit said the best way to earn more money is just to switch jobs every 2-5 years. my best bud from high school has a bachelor's in business from a state college. I did the big loan undergrad, big loan grad school, higher paying first job, and guess what - he makes more than me. Every 3-4 years he'd leverage his experience into another job and make way more than marginal raises at the same company. sounds like you are right on track.
    4.) it's a little hot now - wanna zing up into elevation and ride silverwood up to pinnacles or something? even GMR wasn't bad last week
    wow, thanks for that. I truly appreciate it. I'm taking a LOT of time off between gigs so yes definitely, let's ride.

0 Not allowed!

I'm almost positive I got hired at the corporate gig I was at before because the guy I worked for would not look at a resume unless the candidate had at least 3 years at their current or last job. It wasn't until we had to hire another person and I was told "we're not hiring anyone with <3 years at their last role" that I realized hardly any candidate had >3 years. As the months went on, he eventually conceded to 2 years, then down to 1 year... and the guy we hired had been without a job for almost a year because he moved for his wife.

I only made it 2 years at that job before I got the great idea to search out a "dream job". Big company or small company, I'm personally finding it hard to stick around for a while. Unfortunately, my dating life has been similar too

0 Not allowed!

Lifer

My company only hires people people that have multiple jobs in the past to show diversity. It's crazy to think that way but in their eyes someone who has worked in multiple jobs can adapt quicker to someone that has had the same job for 10 years. I suppose it has a certain twisted logic to it.
    The downside of that is the people they hire leave after a year or 2. Almost no one makes it 3 years here except me and 2 others. I've been here for 8. The company is constantly training people for the same jobs over and over again. Takes about a year of training to operate on your own,they stay another year then leave and another person comes in and starts the cycle again.

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by boosten lebaron View Post
    My company only hires people people that have multiple jobs in the past to show diversity. It's crazy to think that way but in their eyes someone who has worked in multiple jobs can adapt quicker to someone that has had the same job for 10 years. I suppose it has a certain twisted logic to it.
    The downside of that is the people they hire leave after a year or 2. Almost no one makes it 3 years here except me and 2 others. I've been here for 8. The company is constantly training people for the same jobs over and over again. Takes about a year of training to operate on your own,they stay another year then leave and another person comes in and starts the cycle again.
    if you dont want to say, thats fine, but what do you do again?

0 Not allowed!

Lifer

Robotics.

0 Not allowed!

My partner is in Pharma and changes jobs every 2-3 years. Always a large sign on bonus, always a large bump in pay, and never actively looks to change jobs. Itís always recruiting agents and sometimes HR reaching out with opportunities.
    Most of those large companies only expect to have him around for 2 years.

0 Not allowed!
    Yamaha

A Big Powerful Sportbike

1 Not allowed!

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345