Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456

New compact suv's.

Re: New compact suv's.

If you like the CX-5 you might want to look around for a late model Certified Pre-Owned deal on one with the Grand Touring package. There were quite a few around when my wife was looking a few months ago.

In March she decided she was ready to move on from her 2010 Mazda CX7. She wanted much better gas mileage than the CX7 but still needed room for our two good sized dogs. She also wanted the Apple carplay/ Andoid Auto interface so she could run NAV from her phone to the dash display. We looked at the CX3, CX5, HRV, Escape, and Crosstrek. The new Mazda CX30 looked like it would be perfect but they aren't around yet. I was rooting for the CX5, which we both agreed was the best driving car of the bunch, but she wanted something that got better gas mileage. Also surprisingly the CX5 didn't have Apple Carplay yet but supposedly the dealers will be able to install it soon.

She settled on a 2019 loaded CPO Crosstrek with 5k miles on it at a good discount from a new one. One of the dogs is a tight fit but he'll be OK for short rides.

0 Not allowed!

Lifer

I think Iím just going to try to find the lowest mileage Element left out there.

What about the Venza? Anyone have experience with it? The Camry of crossovers.

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by JettaJayGLS View Post
    My dad just got rear ended and it totaled his Passat this past weekend. Let me check with him real quick....
    Dad's out. Looking for an inline 5 Passat...like the one I used to have.

0 Not allowed!
    A man of many names...Jay, Gennaro, Gerry, etc.
    Former LRRS EX #978
    Tony's Track Days

Quote Originally Posted by Chippertheripper View Post
    Still would buy a cx5 again, especially now that thereís a turbo version.
    real talk, there is no other compact SUV to even look at. the highest trim offer qualities similar or even above BMW/Mercedes, the interior is amazing, it still gets great mpg and the power is decent.

0 Not allowed!

SUV ? what is the utility ? I think all wheel drive econobox fits better

0 Not allowed!
    RandyO
    IBA#9560
    A man with a gun is a citizen
    A man without a gun is a subject

Quote Originally Posted by RandyO View Post
    SUV ? what is the utility ? I think all wheel drive econobox fits better
    Same as your Cherokee. Next.

1 Not allowed!
    Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet
    Close your eyes, look deep in your soul, step outside yourself and let your mind go.

Lifer

The Jeep Compass has more cargo and passenger room than the Cherokee.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chippertheripper View Post
    Same as your Cherokee. Next.

1 Not allowed!

But the compas is TIGHT is the back seat. this was a concern with a newborn in a car seat for us when they came out. also the lease was dog shit at the time when they first came out.

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Gixxer View Post
    Mazda’s are Japanese right? What are your opinions of top four reliability? I would say Toyota , Honda, Mazda then maybe Nissan. Which is funny because I’ve owned three Honda’s and no Toyota’s, and no Mazda’s but four nissans. There’s just something about Nissan I don’t quite trust, and maybe it’s just the rust issues I’ve seen, but also some of their models seem like they just settle for a mediocre product whereas Mazda puts a lot of effort into their interiors for example.
    i have experience with toyota (borrow family vehicles time to time), honda (i had 2 civics), mazda (i had a 6i), nissan (wife currently has a maxima) and subaru (i currently have a legacy)...next vehicle i will be going with a toyota, honda or mazda...i'm not a huge fan of nissan or subaru right now...nissan due to too many bells and whistles (i.e. potential electrical shit that can stop working)...they can't even put a 60/40 folding rear seat in a loaded maxima (just a little window opening), oil changes are a pain, navigation system sucks, too many disabled controls while moving...subaru because my legacy is consuming 3 extra quarts of oil in 7500 miles, changing head light bulbs is a pain (and there are 5 bulbs in each head light assembly), ass warmer switches always get turned on by accident due to location, seat isn't that comfortable and i drive a lot...i'm sure there are others

if i was to go for a small suv it would either be the rav4, crv or cx5...all seem like solid small suvs and i know people that own or have owned each and had good luck with them...i would heavily lean towards toyota though

1 Not allowed!
    Last edited by Point37; 06-14-19 at 10:39 AM.
    bike: none but i have a seafoam green 125cc scooter
    Point37s Garage Sale Thread

Great info boys.

Questions, how do we feel about purchasing from rental fleet? Really nice deals on 2018 CX-5 Touring FWD from Avis Car Sales. $20-22k for 1 year old and ~25k miles. They have like 10 of them at the East Boston dealership. I'm of course extremely hesitant to entertain it...but then I think how much trouble can one do in 1 year? but then I remember what I do to nearly every rental car I drive (that poor ATS in Tampa...)...but then I'm like "is everyone a degenerate like me? surely not"

Probably best to leave alone...

1 Not allowed!
    I went to MMI I know what Im doing here chief

I bought a 6 month old Camry two years ago with 16k that was a former Hertz car. That car took a beating in Boston as an Uber car until I sold it with 71k. The thing was a champ and needed nothing unexpected. It was worth it to me. I only sold it because I wanted to move it while it was still worth something substantial and get something better on gas.

2 Not allowed!
    2012 Tiger 800, 2007 DR650, 2012 WR250R

Lifer

That’s bizarre, I had an 05 legacy that burned thru bulbs, weird it’s still a problem. And it should it shouldn’t be burning oil, so that’s the stuff that should be unforgivable by now right?

Quote Originally Posted by Point37 View Post
    i have experience with toyota (borrow family vehicles time to time), honda (i had 2 civics), mazda (i had a 6i), nissan (wife currently has a maxima) and subaru (i currently have a legacy)...next vehicle i will be going with a toyota, honda or mazda...i'm not a huge fan of nissan or subaru right now...nissan due to too many bells and whistles (i.e. potential electrical shit that can stop working)...they can't even put a 60/40 folding rear seat in a loaded maxima (just a little window opening), oil changes are a pain, navigation system sucks, too many disabled controls while moving...subaru because my legacy is consuming 3 extra quarts of oil in 7500 miles, changing head light bulbs is a pain (and there are 5 bulbs in each head light assembly), ass warmer switches always get turned on by accident due to location, seat isn't that comfortable and i drive a lot...i'm sure there are others

if i was to go for a small suv it would either be the rav4, crv or cx5...all seem like solid small suvs and i know people that own or have owned each and had good luck with them...i would heavily lean towards toyota though
    - - - Updated - - -

Have you seen Days Of Thunder?
    Quote Originally Posted by loudbeard View Post
    Great info boys.

Questions, how do we feel about purchasing from rental fleet? Really nice deals on 2018 CX-5 Touring FWD from Avis Car Sales. $20-22k for 1 year old and ~25k miles. They have like 10 of them at the East Boston dealership. I'm of course extremely hesitant to entertain it...but then I think how much trouble can one do in 1 year? but then I remember what I do to nearly every rental car I drive (that poor ATS in Tampa...)...but then I'm like "is everyone a degenerate like me? surely not"

0 Not allowed!

Great info boys.

How much trouble you can do in 1 year? Have you been in a rental with me? Give me 1 hour...

I’d stay away from rentals. The one vehicle I entertained was one of those loaner vehicles that dealerships give to customers. At least then you’re dealing with someone who respects their car to take it to the dealership.

0 Not allowed!

0 Not allowed!
    1975 BMW R90/6 | 2008 Triumph Tiger 1050 ABS | 2009 Honda CRF100F | 2009 Yamaha TrailWay 200 | 2012 Yamaha WR250R | 2016 Honda CB500FA | 2016 Suzuki GSX-R750

305 Pre-Owned Cars, Trucks & SUVs | Executive Auto Group

Take a look at my used car website. I've got almost 800 used vehicles at my disposal. Let me know if there's something that blows your skirt up.

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Gixxer View Post
    That’s bizarre, I had an 05 legacy that burned thru bulbs, weird it’s still a problem. And it should it shouldn’t be burning oil, so that’s the stuff that should be unforgivable by now right?
    i wouldn't say it burns through bulbs...it's more the design of the headlight assembly...either you have to tear the whole bumper off or you have to remove a front wheel and go through the wheel well to replace them instead of just opening the hood, twisting a housing and replacing the bulb...they make it like that so you don't want to bother with it and bring it to a dealer...

as far as the oil goes...it's consuming oil but it doesn't ever seem to smoke like its burning it...my car was a part of that class action lawsuit (along with a number of their other models/years) which really didn't help me cause my car was already past their 100k mile limit so i received nothing...i won't be buying another one...having a low oil light pop on and having to take the next exit to dump a quart of synthetic in from the 6 pack i have to keep in my trunk is a pain in the ass...never had to do that with any of my other vehicles

the oil consumption is my major issue driving me away from the brand...the other things i can deal with...i believe the issue with mine may be the piston rings which i would imagine they may have fixed on the newer models but seeing as this issue doesn't pop up until you have double digit thousands of miles on the car and some people don't keep their cars long enough to find out i don't even want to take a chance as i try to hit over 200k miles on my vehicles since i drive 97% highway miles

Excessive Oil Consumption - Subaru Problems

Subaru Oil Consumption

0 Not allowed!

^ It's my bike and my car tls25rs's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Point37 View Post
    as far as the oil goes...it's consuming oil but it doesn't ever seem to smoke like its burning it...my car was a part of that class action lawsuit (along with a number of their other models/years) which really didn't help me cause my car was already past their 100k mile limit so i received nothing...

Subaru Oil Consumption
    Just read a little of the settlement agreement and it looks like you could have received covered repairs. The extension of the factory warranty was to 8 years or 100k, for vehicles with less than 100k on them, or if the vehicle had over 100k on the notice date, a period of one year from the notice date. Betting the dealership didn't tell you that though.

New compact suv's.-capture-jpg

0 Not allowed!

Thoughts on the Mini Countryman? Not for everyone, but I think my wife will like it. This one is a pretty green color. I think you either like them or not, I seem to like them.

0 Not allowed!

I want to like it but its expensive AF and not very large. Would be an awful family car for me at this point in my life. but as a lifestyle car for someone like my mother, now we're talking.

I just ran a search for these and alot are well in the the 40k mark. nopethatshit.com
    45k for a mini, just buy the year old luxury crossover at that point or the loaded to the gills mainstream option

0 Not allowed!
    Last edited by jhawley; 06-17-19 at 12:26 PM.

Thoughts on the Mini Countryman? Not for everyone, but I think my wife will like it. This one is a pretty green color. I think you either like them or not, I seem to like them.
    My sister drives one. Hers is several years old now. It's an S, but not AWD.

Car is fun to drive. She has a 6 speed manual in hers; she won't drive auto. She sells at craft fairs and manages to get an ez-up, her display crap and all of her product into that car. So it can carry some stuff.

But IMO it is too small to be a real hauler and too big to be really fun. Hers has nickled and dime'd her. It runs run-flats with no spare; tires are expensive and she has had problems with the car eating them. She had the big sunroof leak.. dealer quoted her all the monies to repair. My father helped her DIY a fix. They had to drop the whole headliner. It sounded like work. Now she's getting intermittent CELs.
    Her car has no resale at this point. It's somewhat awful.

I can't stand the interior. Stupid switch-gear. Bad ergonomics. Goofy gauges (heavy on the idiot lights). Much too far on the form >> function spectrum for me. Novelty that wears off.

0 Not allowed!

MINI = poor mans BMW yet still has all the problems that come with big brother....

1 Not allowed!
    2012 Tiger 800, 2007 DR650, 2012 WR250R

Passing on the MINI

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by tls25rs View Post
    Just read a little of the settlement agreement and it looks like you could have received covered repairs. The extension of the factory warranty was to 8 years or 100k, for vehicles with less than 100k on them, or if the vehicle had over 100k on the notice date, a period of one year from the notice date. Betting the dealership didn't tell you that though.

New compact suv's.-capture-jpg
    fvvvvvck!...i could have tried to get it repaired for up to a year covered by this warranty if it failed the oil consumption test...i am willing to bet it would have "passed" if i brought it in...i wonder if they would have covered a rental/courtesy vehicle as well...no way would i have paid for a rental for however long it takes them to tear down the engine and replace the rings

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by nhbubba View Post
    I can't stand the interior. Stupid switch-gear. Bad ergonomics. Goofy gauges (heavy on the idiot lights). Much too far on the form >> function spectrum for me. Novelty that wears off.
    +1 ... a buddy has one. he was like, 'LOVE the design of the interior, gauges, etc.' ... me, 'yeah' (which was really, 'this shit is ugly as fuck in here! are you blind?' ... appalling)

1 Not allowed!
    Beta 250RR

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456