Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Considering buying a Toyota Sienna AWD 2010 and newer

Considering buying a Toyota Sienna AWD 2010 and newer

Wanted to get a 8 seater SUV but the van just seems so much more convenient. Drove a Sienna and an Odyssey ,because of AWD leaning toward the Sienna.
    With a used model what do I need to watch out for?
    Max mileage to consider?
    Thanks

0 Not allowed!

Re: Considering buying a Toyota Sienna AWD 2010 and newer

The used 2011 Odyssey Touring Elite we bought had 8 seats. We took the 8th out for a while, put it back in and use it all the time.

I was going to buy a Sienna AWD, until I discovered it had run-flat tires and no spare. Run flats suck and you wind up buying run flat winter tires as an AWD minivan isn't any better at stopping or turning. We bought an Odyssey and got a set of Nokian Hakka R2's on another set of rims and no problems in the snow, and we have a hilly 700' gravel driveway in NH and go skiing a lot. We had Michelin X-Ice on our MPV minivan and they perform well but didn't last as long.

Sienna is better looking IMHO, Honda drives better. Both are great vehicles. I bought a set of OEM 18" Touring Elite rims on ebay for $700.

2 Not allowed!
    Last edited by Garandman; 06-08-15 at 09:54 AM.
    "I would rather have questions that can't be answered than answers that can't be questioned.
    Richard Feynman.

@Garandman That is great input, thanks :-)

0 Not allowed!

Sienna is good

Because of AWD there was NO Spare they used to get run flat tires so it rides like a truck

Once pondered years ago by a wize friend

Why carry around a 1/2 ton of crap for like 4 days a year ,, just stay home

Also I am sure AWD gets worse gas mileage then front

Just buy a spare set of rims and get a set of GREAT snow tires you will be better off

1 Not allowed!
    The calculus of hate

It is not that I should win it is that you should lose
    It is not that I succeed it is that you fail
    It is not that I should live it is that you should die

The Sienna's are pretty solid vehicles. Only issues I really see are the power sliding door motors going out. The AWD ones do come with runflats stock, which suck. They wear out fast, are more expensive, and have a stiffer ride. You're better off getting a spare and running regular tires.

1 Not allowed!

beige camry attack mojobreakfast's Avatar

Our 2011 RAV4 has the run flats and yeah, they ride a bit harsher than conventional tires. But you can replace them with conventional tires, so I wouldn't let this preclude the Sienna per se. For a few years the Odyssey had the Michelin PAX system which was well beyond worse than run flats.

I plan to replace the RAV4's tires with conventional tires when the current run flats are toast. There is nothing special about the wheel itself. Yeah you won't have a spare, but consider that many cars on the market today are dropping spares all together and giving you a can of fix-a-flat, even vehicles with conventional tires.

Your Next Car May Not Have a Spare Tire - Consumer Reports News

0 Not allowed!
    Last edited by mojobreakfast; 06-08-15 at 05:58 PM.
    12 Multistrada S Touring
    11 Street Triple R

Found a pic. Middle seat can be easily renoved, or used as an armrest. The outer middle seats can slide back and forth and recline, and when you realease the handle on the backrest the slider releases so they move all the way forward and the seat back tilts forward, thn locks bck into place where it was.

Pretty amazing vehicles: our friends have a nearly identical Sienna. Good mileage, great range, 0-60 in less than 8 seconds and the seats allow lots of room for people and gear in many configurations. The Sienna theater seats aren't supposed to be used while moving, but seems cool.

If you really want AWD, I'd go with one of the large Crossovers like the GMC Acadia or Honda Pilot (new model for 2016). They don't have as much room, the third row is kind of a PITA to get in and out of, they're expensive, but they are a lot better for towing.

Oh, and if you want to be hip....

Oue veteran minivan testers.

1 Not allowed!
    Last edited by Garandman; 06-09-15 at 06:49 AM.
    "I would rather have questions that can't be answered than answers that can't be questioned.
    Richard Feynman.

I have one sister that drives the Odyssey, and one that drives the sienna. Enough said! lol. No, I think the Sienna is a much more rugged vehicle. Put some all terrains on it, and it would be bomber. It has good ground clearance and can handle rutted roads and deep snow. THe honda awd is seriously wimpy in comparison (if the Odyssey even has it, I don't know).

0 Not allowed!
    Paul_E_D

One other thing that was a showstopper for us. Sienna says they are "tow ready." But Toyota doesn't sell a factory hitch! The aftermarket ones hang below the bumper and suck donkey balls.

You can buy the entire Honda tow kit (trans cooler, hitch, wiring) for $700 or so and it's better integrated with the bumper. We also put Air Ride helper air springs so we can load the bejesus out of it.

We mounted the air fillers under the gas cap door.

1 Not allowed!
    Richard Feynman.

0 Not allowed!
    Richard Feynman.

I always feel somewhat guilty but

If like me you keep vehicles to almost destruction then it would only be Toyota or Honda in Mini van

Could not recommend any "American" car even though lord knows where they are made

Subaru if still made would be a choice but it was like 8K more then the above WTF???

I might pop in and say look at a modern FULL sized Van... I love my VAN
    I fear douche's at Ford put turbod in everything which I don't trust

0 Not allowed!
    Last edited by Stromper; 06-09-15 at 05:39 PM.
    The calculus of hate

It is not that I should win it is that you should lose
    It is not that I succeed it is that you fail
    It is not that I should live it is that you should die

Lifer

I got an 03 odyssey over the sienna.. because I thought the siennas look like poop up to 2010 and up. The sienna's old motors and mechanisms go bad once in a while, which are really hard to fix. The odyssey's can break too but easy enough to fix (ya the kids snapped the wires on both sides).

FWD on the cars SUCK... I'm sorry.. but even with winter tires I have to shovel out the entire car to the pavement practically to get it out of the driveway! Although the sienna AWD (2012?) wasn't buried in snow when it was at my place.. it came out like an AWD vehicle should. Runflats can always be changed for regular tires.. I just did that on my BMW. No big deal. Honestly when is the last time I was worried about putting on a spare tire? I have AAA. If you want to buy an extra wheel and throw it in the car for safety there's plenty of room in that big trunk.

If my Odyssey ever dies... which I can't seem to kill it with 165K on the clock.. I'm going to buy the 2010+ AWD sienna no questions asked. *some* people said the seats weren't comfortable and it was a deal breaker. I have driven it enough and it works for me. I love the new Odyssey as well, and I think they are both on par. I simply want want the AWD since the Odyssey really does have trouble in deeper non plowed streets even with proper winter tires. It's really long, and heavy.. the physics of it is not great.

We have a CX-9 for the kids because I thought the odyssey would die. We use that all the time in the winter and just leave the van most of the time unless the snow is not threatening. The convenience of the Van greatly outweighs the big SUV with seating and storage. The CX-9 rides like a car, tight suspension and fast and powerful. The new vans are a bit better for handling than my 03, but not really any more powerful.

AWD is really the only big game changer between the two in my opinion. AWD are hard to get.. so if you want the new body style you're looking at about 20-30K used depending on the year. I've kept my eye open on the side the minute something big breaks on the Odyssey IF you want to ditch the AWD part the cheapest I've seen a base model Odyssey or Sienna of the latest generation was 15K.. but you DO want the power doors etc.. and the price goes up.

1 Not allowed!

We bought a 2011 Touring Elite used Private sale and added roof rails and tow package. The new sticker for that model was $45,000. We paid half for a 2yo with 25k miles.

We looked at a new Ford Flex Limited and it was over $50K. For a family car. Ouch.

0 Not allowed!
    Last edited by Garandman; 06-10-15 at 08:27 PM.
    Richard Feynman.

Necrothread. We bought a Tahoe to tow a keelboat. The footprint is almost identical to the Odyssey. But in terms of ingress/egress or interior space, there is no comparison.

1 Not allowed!
    Richard Feynman.

after re-reading my own post in the truck thread, I am honestly thinking odyssey/sienna/caravan after my '01 F150 poops out

questions:

will it...

1.) get 50% better gas mileage than my Fart 150/14mpg & somehow also be twice as fast?
    2.) handle a class 3 hitch/350lbs for my YZ250 w' MX hauler?
    3.) be versatile for real estate/100,000 home depot runs in one day?
    4.) all lay flat for an air mattress for camping/sleeping in it?
    5.) have the ground clearance for dirt parking lots in the desert/on the beach?
    6.) help out for "cali" stuff with friends...load people + crap and pay 1 car's parking for the beach/Vegas/LA/disneyland/music festivals and be comfortable for those long rides?

Just won't carry the wee...only tow it

0 Not allowed!
    Last edited by breakdirt916; 04-12-18 at 02:46 AM.
    FREE $10 UBER CREDIT W' PROMO CODE --> PON41
    2007 Suzuki DL650
    1994 Yamaha YZ250 CA Street Legal 2-smoke
    instagram @cali2t

50% better?! Than a busted down old F150, maybe. Than a new 150, no, not likely. 20% better, tops.
    Apples to apples, I was rather disappointed with the van empeegees when shopping.

Screen Shot 2018-04-12 at 6.55.41 AM.png

1 Not allowed!

excellent point...they (trucks) have gotten better while minivans have not (if not gotten worse)

getting back into the apples vs. peaches, and since I'm already biased, minivan will also have a 20" shorter length and comparable year (2010) be ~$4,000(?) cheaper. Bottom line, I don't think I really need a truck.

Edit: I would add that I dig a late model Silverados very much. The combo of Ride/build quality, comfort, gas mileage are all there over any POS used or spanky new Silverado all day. If I needed a truck, I would likely swing that way.

0 Not allowed!
    Last edited by breakdirt916; 04-12-18 at 09:38 AM.
    FREE $10 UBER CREDIT W' PROMO CODE --> PON41
    2007 Suzuki DL650
    1994 Yamaha YZ250 CA Street Legal 2-smoke
    instagram @cali2t

So any tips on buying a used minivan from you all? I'm headed down that path soon. It seems like it's all Sienna or Odyssey but I've heard good things about the new Kias too. I actually tried to buy a leftover Kia when they were offering insane discounts but the salesperson at Quirk was absolutely the worst via email and they didn't want to extend the same level of discount for a purchase, only a lease.

I imagine that they are generally good cars and the trick, like any used car, is finding one that hasn't been abused and especially with minivans pushed past its capacity. Then it's just praying that all the electronics don't fail because they always seem to fail (doors and whatnots).

0 Not allowed!

Tool for the job. You want to haul gravel; pickup. You want to haul peoples; van. Gazillion steps in between.

My point was just that vans don't beat pickups in the mpgs as much as one might think. I was guilty of this mindset until we started really shopping. I thought they were getting 30+ these days. They aren't. What's interesting is the cute-utes are! And doing it with part-time AWD!

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by breakdirt916 View Post

Edit: I would add that I dig a late model Silverados very much. The combo of Ride/build quality, comfort, gas mileage are all there over any POS used or spanky new Silverado all day. If I needed a truck, I would likely swing that way.
    After having an 18 Silverado for 6.5 months while the Tundra was getting a new frame....no comparison, my 07 Tundra with 164,000 is still better in all aspects. It lacks some frills the Chevy had like touch screen, wifi and nav, but I'll take it any day. Just my opinion.

0 Not allowed!

My parents had 4 minivans when we were kids. A Mazda MPV, a 96 grand caravan, a 00 ford windstar, an then a 2004 grand caravan. That 2004 moved 3 kids into college, countless trips to Home Depot and the transfer station, hauled a bunch of friends on road trips and spring break, used to haul my ZX6R,F4, and FZ6 to the track, and was my "tent" for sleeping in at the track. Yes, it can fit a full size air mattress in the back, or a sheet of 4x8 plywood.

At NYST a few years ago, after I loaded my F4 into the van, I saw a guy with a Street Triple in his Grand Caravan, so I went to say hi. I got super mega jealous when he told me that his 2005 had the stow-n-go seats that fold into the floor. That was always the biggest PITA when borrowing the van for a HD trip, having to remove all the seats and find someplace in my garage to store them. The guy with the 2005 is able to fold the seats down, bring the bike to track, unload the bike, fold the seats back up to take a crew to dinner, then fold the seats down again to sleep in it. Get the stow-n-go seats!

0 Not allowed!
    Matt
    '07 Yamaha FZ6 - Street
    '01 Honda CBR600F4i - Track
    '98 Suzuki DR350SE - Miscellaneous

High maintenance priss

Quote Originally Posted by Crimedog View Post
    So any tips on buying a used minivan from you all?
    We've bought two used minivans (both Odysseys...current one is a 2014 I believe). Minivans get beat to shit cosmetically, especially interiors. So it might be a bit harder to find one that's been kept clean if that's your thing. But they are out there. We love ours - can't beat them as a family hauler.

Funny you mention the doors. We have had sliding door issues with both (rollers shredded on the rear support carriage of our '08, carriage cable snapped on the '14). You'll pay out the nose at the dealer but easy and much cheaper to fix it yourself. Other than these 2 incidents, we haven't had problems with ours.

If looking at the Odyssey: there are reports of cylinder deactivation causing spark plug fouling and subsequent mis-firing. Not sure what years or even if it was that widespread of a problem, just something to be aware of.

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by breakdirt916 View Post
    after re-reading my own post in the truck thread, I am honestly thinking odyssey/sienna/caravan after my '01 F150 poops out

questions:

will it...

1.) get 50% better gas mileage than my Fart 150/14mpg & somehow also be twice as fast?
    6.) help out for "cali" stuff with friends...load people + crap and pay 1 car's parking for the beach/Vegas/LA/disneyland/music festivals and be comfortable for those long rides?

I would argue what you're actually looking for is a Ford Transit Connect Wagon.
    1.) Rated at 20/27 mpg
    2.) Based on the commercial vehicle so even though it is only rated at 2,000 lbs tow/200 lbs tongue weight, I wouldn't think twice about a hitch carrier on this vehicle.
    3.) Based on commercial vehicle, yes.
    4.) you can either lay flat the seats and put a mattress on top, or easily remove the 2nd and 3rd row seats.
    5.) yes, it's lower than a truck, but not as low as a sedan.
    6.) comes in 6 or 7 passenger configurations depending on if you get 2nd row buckets or bench.

Just ran a "build and price" on their Titanium model with literally every up market option I could add and the MSRP is $31,695. It has BLIS, panoramic roof, blueteeth, nav, sync, nice rimz, leathers, I think it's only missing the ball coolers. Here's one on Autotrader that's 2 years old and has less than 20k miles for $22k.

Honestly I think this is one of the most versatile/economic vehicles you can buy. Already comes equipped with roof rails so you could add any kind of rack system you want, including a pop-up tent. When wifey's Audi goes pop, we're almost certainly buying one of these...even she likes it.
    Attached Images Attached Images

1 Not allowed!
    Last edited by loudbeard; 04-12-18 at 11:42 AM.
    I went to MMI I know what Im doing here chief

[QUOTE=breakdirt916;1524008]after re-reading my own post in the truck thread, I am honestly thinking odyssey/sienna/caravan after my '01 F150 poops out

questions:

will it...

MPG, yes. 0-60 is low 7 seconds, doubt that's "twice as fast." Rife and handling are much better, Odyssey has IRS. But you dont have potholes in CA....
    No problem.
    Yes, you can remove the 2nd row seats easily, or fold the backs. Or get a Caravan with stow away seats, which are not however very comfortable.
    Not totally flt, with mattress you'd be all set.
    Who knows? 6.5" but pretty long rear overhang so steep grade transitions would be unhappy.
    They're awesome for trips, six adults piece of cake.
    Wee wouldnt even fit in my Express without removing the mirrors and windshield.

0 Not allowed!
    Richard Feynman.

Quote Originally Posted by keeena View Post
    We've bought two used minivans (both Odysseys...current one is a 2014 I believe). Minivans get beat to shit cosmetically, especially interiors. So it might be a bit harder to find one that's been kept clean if that's your thing. But they are out there. We love ours - can't beat them as a family hauler.

Funny you mention the doors. We have had sliding door issues with both (rollers shredded on the rear support carriage of our '08, carriage cable snapped on the '14). You'll pay out the nose at the dealer but easy and much cheaper to fix it yourself. Other than these 2 incidents, we haven't had problems with ours.

If looking at the Odyssey: there are reports of cylinder deactivation causing spark plug fouling and subsequent mis-firing. Not sure what years or even if it was that widespread of a problem, just something to be aware of.
    Odyclub.com and YouTube have tons of help. Knock wood, no problems with plugs. Ours has 85,000 miles.

We were planning to sell it but my daighter and her friends need a ride from school to Moakley for games, so we load up 7 girls and drive them over so they don't have to take the T.

1 Not allowed!
    Richard Feynman.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast