Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Considering buying a Toyota Sienna AWD 2010 and newer

Re: Considering buying a Toyota Sienna AWD 2010 and newer

Quote Originally Posted by Garandman View Post
    Odyclub.com and YouTube have tons of help. Knock wood, no problems with plugs. Ours has 85,000 miles.

We were planning to sell it but my daighter and her friends need a ride from school to Moakley for games, so we load up 7 girls and drive them over so they don't have to take the T.
    Good info. I accept the fact that gas mileage is going to suck so the less trickery the better IMO but what'cha gonna do. If you decide to sell hit me up...

0 Not allowed!

Posting Freak

I bought a 2011 odyssey with 128k miles for 10k over the summer - needed a vehicle that could accommodate the three kids. Wife and I have older manual cars, so got it as a third car. Drove at 65 mph from the Berkshire to Boston after purchasing it. With cylinder deactivation the mileage was awesome - 31 mpg. Better than my 335xi! It is fast enough, comfortable, more economical than expected and overall a great vehicle. My wife and I both found the Odyssey to drive much more like a car than the Sienna. Also, installed winter Blizzak DM-V2 and it was a tank with all the snow. Love the van and would buy it again.

3 Not allowed!
    Last edited by dankatz; 04-12-18 at 06:32 PM.
    Street Triple R, Steetfighter 848, Monster 1100evo, VFR, CRF250L/M

Driving from Niagara Falls with 6 people going 75mph we averaged 26mpg. Pretty awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by Crimedog View Post
    Good info. I accept the fact that gas mileage is going to suck so the less trickery the better IMO but what'cha gonna do. If you decide to sell hit me up...
    We will be selling it at the end of Lacrosse season, so it will be for sale 6/1.

0 Not allowed!
    1975 BMW R90/6 | 2008 Triumph Tiger 1050 ABS | 2009 Honda CRF100F | 2009 Yamaha TrailWay 200 | 2012 Yamaha WR250R | 2016 Honda CB500FA | 2016 Suzuki GSX-R750

Dictionary quoting knob stoinkythepig's Avatar

What happened? This used to be the site to go to for spirited group rides that inevitably led to legal action of one sort or another against at least one participant. Now we discuss 401Ks and mini-vans. Anyway, who makes the best mobility scooter these days?

2 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by dankatz View Post
    With cylinder deactivation the mileage was awesome - 31 mpg.
    That's outstanding. EPA guestimate says 22 average, 27 highway. 31 is a lot better than I'd ever expect given that guestimate.

Maybe I have it all wrong..

31 highway is what I saw in my old VW Jetta Wagon, at best. Also better than I ever saw from my 1.8l, 2200 lbs Miata!

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Garandman View Post
    We will be selling it at the end of Lacrosse season, so it will be for sale 6/1.
    Space crunch isn't until December, unless something falls in my lap before then I'll be interested.

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by stoinkythepig View Post
    What happened? This used to be the site to go to for spirited group rides that inevitably led to legal action of one sort or another against at least one participant. Now we discuss 401Ks and mini-vans. Anyway, who makes the best mobility scooter these days?
    Political threads. Made us all feel ashamed, responsible, knowledgeable, and old. Speaking of responsible, anyone know a place that does 'busa trike conversions??

1 Not allowed!
    Dad's Dream: Earn enough money to live the life that his wife and kids do.

Posting Freak

Quote Originally Posted by nhbubba View Post
    That's outstanding. EPA guestimate says 22 average, 27 highway. 31 is a lot better than I'd ever expect given that guestimate.

Maybe I have it all wrong..

31 highway is what I saw in my old VW Jetta Wagon, at best. Also better than I ever saw from my 1.8l, 2200 lbs Miata!
    Yep, but that was me driving alone and sticking to the speed limit. I am still overall impressed.

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by keeena View Post
    If looking at the Odyssey: there are reports of cylinder deactivation causing spark plug fouling and subsequent mis-firing. Not sure what years or even if it was that widespread of a problem, just something to be aware of.
    https://www.vcmtuner.com/pages/vcmtuner-how-it-works
    Gotta love it

0 Not allowed!

In terms of buying advice, when looking at these vehicles private sale, I ask the following. “I’m buying this vehicle to transport my family - my wife, three children, and their friends. Will your van do this for us safely?” Presented this way, most private sellers are very honest about what they know of the car.

50% better?! Than a busted down old F150, maybe. Than a new 150, no, not likely. 20% better, tops.
    Apples to apples, I was rather disappointed with the van empeegees when shopping.
    50% better than our 2016 Tahoe. By actusl Head-to-head use, both calculated gallons, or even using the indicated mpg of the the Tahoe, which averages 16% optimistic. Don’t think GM did that by mistake.

Shuttling kids means short trips and lots of stops, not to mention idling with AC or heat on. The immense mass of SUV’s puts them at a big disadvantage. On the highway, pickups and SUV’s have a lot of frontal area and boxy profiles, because the people who buy them want big, imposing vehicles. So if you go 65 or less the SUV’s are closer, but if you are driving 75-80 with traffic the minivan advantage is greater.

Minivans are designed for maximum utility, period. They are astonishingly good vehicles.

0 Not allowed!
    Last edited by Garandman; 06-07-18 at 08:13 AM.
    1975 BMW R90/6 | 2008 Triumph Tiger 1050 ABS | 2009 Honda CRF100F | 2009 Yamaha TrailWay 200 | 2012 Yamaha WR250R | 2016 Honda CB500FA | 2016 Suzuki GSX-R750

It still blows my mind that you get such bad mileage out of your Tahoe, yet don't with the vans.

I'm past 65k miles on the silverado now and have given up collecting receipts. But I collected well past 50k miles and my display was pretty accurate; within a few %. Definitely not as far off as yours. Mine definitely tanks if idling a lot. My lifetime average calc'ed was still hovering around 19-20 MPG, including trips towing. I'll be the first to admit the overwhelming majority of my miles are done at 70 cruising. I still feel I'm inline with the EPA guestimates.

0 Not allowed!

Posting Freak

For fuel economy real life estimates I like this web site
    Search by Make

Minivans in general are much more aerodynamic and the Odyssey has the cylinder deactivation so I could see how it would significantly be better. The difference would probably be much smaller if you compared both of them towing 3500 pounds.

0 Not allowed!

Lifer

Still rocking odysseys almost at 190K here since I last posted. I have had to replace one power steering line and now just got a new set of tires. I get about 15-16 mpg in the city driving kids to school and going to the grocery store/home depot. Highway I think the best I did get was 29mpg. VCM muzzler I put in on my odyssey and didn't notice any mpg difference, just wanted the engine to last longer.

The only thing to be aware of in the Kia (I like it a lot) is that I am pretty sure up until now you still cannot remove the 2nd row seats. The stow and go in the caravan is super good.. I don't think the seats are "that" uncomfortable, but definitely better in the odyssey. Now that I have a garage, it's easy for me to take the middle seats out and throw in full size drywall and plywood into the back.. awesomeness!

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by dankatz View Post
    For fuel economy real life estimates I like this web site
    Search by Make
    Yeah. That's what I use when I say "EPA figures".

Considering buying a Toyota Sienna AWD 2010 and newer-screen-shot-2018-06-07-a

Maybe the Honda is an outlier and way out performs its EPA numbers all the time. Couple guys have posted above claiming low 30's. But by the numbers.. I dunno.

0 Not allowed!

It still blows my mind that you get such bad mileage out of your Tahoe, yet don't with the vans.

I'm past 65k miles on the silverado now and have given up collecting receipts. But I collected well past 50k miles and my display was pretty accurate; within a few %. Definitely not as far off as yours. Mine definitely tanks if idling a lot. My lifetime average calc'ed was still hovering around 19-20 MPG, including trips towing. I'll be the first to admit the overwhelming majority of my miles are done at 70 cruising. I still feel I'm inline with the EPA guestimates.
    And our use is mostly shuttling kids in the city, with frequents starts and stops, lots of idling, with occasional trips to Sunapee.

Suburban kid shuttling would presumably be better, fewer stop lights and longer distances between stops.

The average speed on the EPA highway cycle is 48.3 mph. Heavy vehicles with large frontal areas.

The big problem with fuelly.com is they don’t break out 2wd and 4wd versions of pickups and SUV’s

0 Not allowed!

And our use is mostly shuttling kids in the city, with frequents starts and stops, lots of idling, with occasional trips to Sunapee.

Suburban kid shuttling would presumably be better, fewer stop lights and longer distances between stops.

The average speed on the EPA highway cycle is 48.3 mph. Heavy vehicles with large frontal areas get off easy.

The big problem with fuelly.com pertaining to pickups/body on frame SUV’s is they don’t break out 2wd and 4wd versions. Nevertheless here are the reports and others can decide where in the range their driving will land them.

Chevrolet Silverado 1500 LT MPG - Actual MPG from 100 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 LT owners Most-reported

Chevrolet Tahoe MPG - Actual MPG from 386 Chevrolet Tahoe owners

Honda Odyssey MPG - Actual MPG from 790 Honda Odyssey owners

Toyota Sienna MPG - Actual MPG from 323 Toyota Sienna owners

0 Not allowed!
    Last edited by Garandman; 06-08-18 at 01:16 AM.

The problem with fuelly is it is not at all validated and tends to be used primarily by OCD types (I know 'cause I is one) and sporadically at best by its other users. Fuelly has suspect data at best, total trash at worse. Tiny fraction of owners report as well. Even I gave upon fuelly a few years ago. GM sold something like half a million Silverados in 2017.. you have 100 of them reporting?! Whopteee!

The EPA test may not match your driving, but at least it's consistent. Those numbers are useful for comparing against each other. For me, with my driving I would count on adding about 10% to their average MPGes for whatever I drove.

At any rate. Whatever works for you. Party on.

0 Not allowed!

I can't believe you already have 65k on that bowtie. Didn't you JUST buy that thing?

0 Not allowed!
    -Clayton
    2006 Suzuki SV650
    2004 Suzuki Vstrom 650
    2001 Kawasaki ZRX1200R
    1982 Honda CB750F Super Sport

Quote Originally Posted by rice_rocket View Post
    Still rocking odysseys almost at 190K here since I last posted. I have had to replace one power steering line and now just got a new set of tires. I get about 15-16 mpg in the city
    I'm getting the same in my 8K lb class B motorhome. And I was a little disappointed. Perhaps I was being hasty?

0 Not allowed!
    Paul_E_D

Quote Originally Posted by TheIglu View Post
    I can't believe you already have 65k on that bowtie. Didn't you JUST buy that thing?
    2.5 years or so. We really like driving it. I've put way more miles on it than I planned to. It's the go-to. Even the wife loves driving it, although she hates parking it. It's done 2 trips to Hatfield now. Stupid comfortable, roomy, and the mileage hit is totally worth it, especially for slab trips when you see >20 MPG easy. You'll see when you cave and finally buy one.

I'm also a 17-18k mile/year commuter. Brakes and tires are original.

0 Not allowed!

2.5 years or so. We really like driving it. I've put way more miles on it than I planned to. It's the go-to. Even the wife loves driving it, although she hates parking it. It's done 2 trips to Hatfield now. Stupid comfortable, roomy, and the mileage hit is totally worth it, especially for slab trips when you see >20 MPG easy. You'll see when you cave and finally buy one.

I'm also a 17-18k mile/year commuter. Brakes and tires are original.
    I'll buy it when you're ready to sell.

1 Not allowed!
    '08 Ducati HyperMotard 1100S, '14 Subaru XV Crosstrek

The problem with fuelly is it is not at all validated and tends to be used primarily by OCD types (I know 'cause I is one) and sporadically at best by its other users. Fuelly has suspect data at best, total trash at worse. Tiny fraction of owners report as well. Even I gave upon fuelly a few years ago. GM sold something like half a million Silverados in 2017.. you have 100 of them reporting?! Whopteee!
    That’s 2016 Silverado 1500’s with extended cab and 5.3 Flex, the most direct comparison to our 2016 Tahoe.

Note very few get 19-20 mpg and that includes 2wd models. That’s really the flaw there.

0 Not allowed!

Posting Freak

I also wonder if there is reporting bias in fuelly with those reporting being more careful about their mileage, follow it religiously, and probably subliminally drive in a way as to conserve it. I find myself doing so...
    In any case, we live in a country where gas is still relatively cheap, so that should not be a major factor in deciding which vehicle to buy in my humble opinion. I really like our Odyssey

0 Not allowed!

Half are retentive types like you say. I was. The other half seem to report tanks here and there when they feel like it or think of it. Huge gaps. Very sporadic.

I believe it’s total shit data. Iirc they guy who created the site cashed out a long time ago.

0 Not allowed!
    Last edited by nhbubba; 06-08-18 at 06:59 PM.

If you are ready to get all nerdy, the Owner’s Manual for the Odyssey is 707 paged. Then there is the 178 page Navigation system Manual.

0 Not allowed!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast