New Construction Cost - Newton MA?

New Construction Cost - Newton MA?

My father-in law is looking to put on an addition to his house so he doesn't need to go up and down stairs. Something functional but not elaborate - bedroom suite, small kitchenette and living space. Assuming mid-range fixtures, any idea what he'd be looking at per square foot? I know this is a really vague quesiton, but I'm just starting our with this and trying to weigh the cost of this versus a facility of sime type. I also know Newton MA is ridiculously expensive to do anything in. Thanks.

0 Not allowed!

Re: New Construction Cost - Newton MA?

You need to tell us how big the addition is before a price can be guessed at. And you have answered your own question Newton = expensive . I just turned a bedroom into a master bath walk in closet. 45G. My house in lancoia wanted a second floor addition bath closet bedroom 108G bagged out of that. Sold the house.

0 Not allowed!

To add it was cheaper to sell and fined a bigger house then to remodel . Your just not looking at cost. Time and resale also matter.

0 Not allowed!

There are HUGE variations in quoted price and lad times, and no guarantees. We had one project quoted for $8,000, $12,000, and $16,500. Our addition was quoted between $40,000 and $105,000. Actual was just under $60. And that was after the first architect strung us along for four months, and the second architects work (the drawings used to get the permit) was wrong.

Ask neighbors for references, and drive around the neighborhood and look for contractor trucks.

0 Not allowed!
    1975 BMW R90/6 | 2008 Triumph Tiger 1050 ABS | 2009 Honda CRF100F | 2009 Yamaha TrailWay 200 | 2012 Yamaha WR250R | 2016 Honda CB500FA | 2016 Suzuki GSX-R750

I kind of assume 300 square feet, single story. New construction in their neighborhood goes for $400 sq/ft according to real estate sites. This probably isn't far off for the whole ball of wax: architect, site work, utility upgrades to the house (it's like 120 years old), and the construction. I won't be involved in the project (long story involving a certifiably crazy mother-in-law) but I want to give him a sense of what he's in for.

0 Not allowed!

I was going to say you are probably in the range of $300 to 350 per sqft, depending on site work. Could be higher right now, everyone is busy.

0 Not allowed!
    Dad's Dream: Earn enough money to live the life that his wife and kids do.

Stair -Glide not an option ?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails New Construction Cost - Newton MA?-stair-jpg  

0 Not allowed!
    TIMMYDUCK

Not an option - relates to the crazy mother-in-law.

0 Not allowed!

She's obviously watched Gremlins. I wouldn't get one either just for that reason...

0 Not allowed!
    Dad's Dream: Earn enough money to live the life that his wife and kids do.

Residential elevators exist and aren’t that crazy in price, compared to an addition. Sometimes government assistance can be provided in terms of funding; back when I was in the trades, we would occasionally win bids to do the carpentry work required for home elevator installations, which was basically framing a roughly 5’x5’ square opening between floors, similar to the opening for a spiral staircase...so, it takes up some floor space on both floors, and that is a limiting factor if it just won’t fit anywhere, but it might be something you want to look into. They are made of sheet steel, look nothing like an Otis elevator, and are designed to fit a wheelchair with one person at a time, only.

0 Not allowed!

If cost is not a issue time is going to be. Also 300sq is very small for a project containing living sleeping space plus a kitchen and bath. Not trying to knock the project sounds like your up against it and have little options for him to stay at home. Could you turn something on the 1st floor into a bedroom? Thinking most houses have bath kitchen on that level already.

0 Not allowed!

There can be no changes to the existing structure other than to tie into the addition (and even that is a question). Believe me, we have looked at every alternative to this. Dealing with loonies here.....

0 Not allowed!

Time to sell the house.

3 Not allowed!
    -Clayton
    2006 Suzuki SV650
    2004 Suzuki Vstrom 650
    2001 Kawasaki ZRX1200R
    1986 Honda Oldwing Medicaide
    1982 Honda CB750F Super Sport

Buy a really really nice sleep sofa.

0 Not allowed!

References for sure...I found quite a bit of variability in contractor reliability. Hard to get a hold of, no shows, showing up on the wrong day, charging tens of thousands more with no additional improvement in quality or speed. I got a reference through my agent, mortgage broker, and local real estate office and he's been very fair priced, knowledgeable, and good communication.

Isn't anyone on here a contractor?

0 Not allowed!
    FREE $10 UBER CREDIT W' PROMO CODE --> PON41
    1994 Yamaha YZ250 CA Street Legal 2-smoke
    instagram @cali2t

Quote Originally Posted by breakdirt916 View Post
    Isn't anyone on here a contractor?
    I have an excellent guy who is in that area I've done an extensive renovation project with in Somerville. PM me if you'd like his details.

0 Not allowed!
    I went to MMI I know what Im doing here chief

References are great, right up there with getting a good price. But equally or more importantly is your agreement with your contractor. Get it ALL in writing and part of the executed contract. Establish labor rates for change order work if required. Be as thorough with the project scope as you possibly can be in the contract, this will cut down the potential for change orders. Project plans need to be complete and correct. Set your payment terms, and NEVER pay for work that isn't complete and inspected. As long as you have the money you have the power.

1 Not allowed!