Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

how to control the bushes. weeds in my pond

suburban ghetto living... black's Avatar

how to control the bushes. weeds in my pond

So we have pond about 2ish acres in size
    It's about a foot or two deep, last summer it went bone dry and freezes during the winter
    Around the "shore" of the pond there is lake brush some sort of reed or bush. Not cat tails but more twiggy.
    It forms a border of 10 to 20' around the lake
    What I'd like to do is cut those weeds about a 15' wide path to better access the center of lake in winter for pond skating. The "bush" doesnt allow the ice to freeze hard enough to walk out to center of the ice

First idea is to in spring or summer cut path to the center as low as possible then lay a tarp or other barrier to prevent said bushes to grow again and anchor it

Thought? Are there any other ideas for less invasive ways? And keep the visual impact low such as dock

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    hmmmm......

Re: how to control the bushes. weeds in my pond

Quote Originally Posted by black View Post
    So we have pond about 2ish acres in size
    It's about a foot or two deep, last summer it went bone dry and freezes during the winter
    Around the "shore" of the pond there is lake brush some sort of reed or bush. Not cat tails but more twiggy.
    It forms a border of 10 to 20' around the lake
    What I'd like to do is cut those weeds about a 15' wide path to better access the center of lake in winter for pond skating. The "bush" doesnt allow the ice to freeze hard enough to walk out to center of the ice

First idea is to in spring or summer cut path to the center as low as possible then lay a tarp or other barrier to prevent said bushes to grow again and anchor it

Thought? Are there any other ideas for less invasive ways? And keep the visual impact low such as dock
    Simple answer, donít touch it. Messing with wetlands carries huge penalties.

Yamaha

A Big Powerful Sportbike

Diesel

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

1-2 feet deep??? Is this a retention pond?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2003 ZX7R
    1995 916

sounds like spirea. you could clean out a swath, but it would likely be back in a couple years

how well do you know your neighbors ?

RandyO
    IBA#9560
    A man with a gun is a citizen
    A man without a gun is a subject

Quote Originally Posted by RandyO View Post
    sounds like spirea. you could clean out a swath, but it would likely be back in a couple years

how well do you know your neighbors ?
    I highly doubt it is spiraea, thats an ornamental which doesn't really like it's roots being wet.

It is 100% Phraghmites, which is an invasive.

https://www.massaudubon.org/learn/na...eed-phragmites

Quote Originally Posted by snwbrdr435 View Post
    I highly doubt it is spiraea, thats an ornamental which doesn't really like it's roots being wet.

It is 100% Phraghmites, which is an invasive.

https://www.massaudubon.org/learn/na...eed-phragmites
    phraghmites is not a woody plant, it just looks like supersized oats, it is also more of a salt marsh species

there are many native species in the spirea genus that grow in wetlands, especially in fen type wetlands

just for your edification, I am a certified wetland scientist

RandyO
    IBA#9560

This is getting interesting now. We need to know who is right.

Lifer

phraghmites is not a woody plant, it just looks like supersized oats, it is also more of a salt marsh species

there are many native species in the spirea genus that grow in wetlands, especially in fen type wetlands

I know you are, I also have various certifications in arboriculture and have spent years identifying plants in the area where the original poster is from. Going by his location and by him saying it is some sort of reed/bush makes me still stick to my original guess.

this is the plant equivalent of Duncan's signature.

4 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet
    Close your eyes, look deep in your soul, step outside yourself and let your mind go.

I'll head down to take a pic of the reed/ bush
    Dotn think its spirea. i'm familiar with it, and doesnt look like the phragamite link

Yes it is wetland however.....
    this pond is shared by say 7 or 8 properties and is actually more like 4 acres large. My point is that this little pond ( patches pond in wilmington, ma) is abused. Technically none of us can use lawn fertilizer per our land agreement. we all do. the pond is a catch for run offf for the developmen. There is a ton of flotsam in the pond unfortuantely, hockey nets, PT wood etc and the fact that all the other nieghbors dump their leaves in it during the fall ( I dont i try to respect the area)

however if you look at a satellite image you'll see that one area of the pond the, NE corner there is a break in the reeds/ bush and it been there forever. its just too nice/ perfect a break that make sme think those neighbors have done some maintenance to that sectiont o access the pon for skating etc...It more clear in real erson vs current google statellite

hmmmm......

I'll head down to take a pic of the reed/ bush
    Dotn think its spirea. i'm familiar with it, and doesnt look like the phragamite link

Yes it is wetland however.....
    this pond is shared by say 7 or 8 properties and is actually more like 4 acres large. My point is that this little pond ( patches pond in wilmington, ma) is abused. Technically none of us can use lawn fertilizer per our land agreement. we all do. the pond is a catch for run offf for the developmen. There is a ton of flotsam in the pond unfortuantely, hockey nets, PT wood etc and the fact that all the other nieghbors dump their leaves in it during the fall ( I dont i try to respect the area)

however if you look at a satellite image you'll see that one area of the pond the, NE corner there is a break in the reeds/ bush and it been there forever. its just too nice/ perfect a break that make sme think those neighbors have done some maintenance to that sectiont o access the pon for skating etc...It more clear in real erson vs current google statellite
    I looked at it on google earth and the historic aerial photos. Looks more like a vernal pool than a pond, may be some spirea at the edge, but that's not what is growing and flowering out in the middle, doesn't appear to be phragmites either, that is so invasive, the whole pond area would be taken over, and that is not happening either
    phragmites is like corn, it gets TALL, spirea is only 2-3 ft tall, persistent, and thin woody stems, it is considered a shrub, common name steeple bush

good pic of spirea at edge of a marsh

how to control the bushes. weeds in my pond-product-4167-jpg

spirea growing with cattails

how to control the bushes. weeds in my pond-product-4166-jpg

RandyO
    IBA#9560

Steal a truck load of diesel fuel, dump it in the pond and light it with an RPG. All the offending weeds will be attracted by the light and go into the burning pond and.... wait, that's something completely different. Don't do that...

Dad's Dream: Earn enough money to live the life that his wife and kids do.

so.. finally decided to try again to control this plants in the pond behind house...
    talked to local conservation commision said if I could ID it it might be invasive and they could do something about it
    But I cant ID it.. anyone?

I searched the local plant ID websites but nothing seems like it.how to control the bushes. weeds in my pond-20200606_112308-jpghow to control the bushes. weeds in my pond-20200606_112308-jpghow to control the bushes. weeds in my pond-20200606_112311-jpghow to control the bushes. weeds in my pond-20200606_112313-jpg

You can see how thick they get they only like the wet shoreline nothing more than 10" deep
    I was thining before this some basic spray on herbicide like this..... https://www.domyown.com/reward-lands...de-p-1338.html if I get the ok from the Comission
    lucky one of the commision people is caddy corner from me on the pond

hmmmm......

so.. finally decided to try again to control this plants in the pond behind house...
    talked to local conservation commision said if I could ID it it might be invasive and they could do something about it
    But I cant ID it.. anyone?

I searched the local plant ID websites but nothing seems like it.how to control the bushes. weeds in my pond-20200606_112308-jpghow to control the bushes. weeds in my pond-20200606_112308-jpghow to control the bushes. weeds in my pond-20200606_112311-jpghow to control the bushes. weeds in my pond-20200606_112313-jpg

You can see how thick they get they only like the wet shoreline nothing more than 10" deep
    I was thining before this some basic spray on herbicide like this..... https://www.domyown.com/reward-lands...de-p-1338.html if I get the ok from the Comission
    lucky one of the commision people is caddy corner from me on the pond

hmmmm......

Make sure you really read and understand the directions and mixtures from the domyown products. They sell commercial grade products that are no joke. Sounds like your taking a good route by talking to the professionals. I'm just chiming in having used some of their lawn care products in the past. They also have excellent customer service and might be useful if you call them and talk about what you want to accomplish.

That looks very similar to witch hazel leaves. I have quite a bit of it on my property in the wet areas.

Yamaha

A Big Powerful Sportbike

minor update as I'm delaying working on a project at work...
    The pond has dried up and I took a walk into the thicket of "weeds/ brush" to get a better picture
    I used google assistant photo search feature and ID'd the plants , where i thought it was only one , there are 2 predominate ones

1- button wood
    https://hgic.clemson.edu/factsheet/common-buttonbush/

and
    2- Alder of which I cant find anything thru google about.....

edit.. Alder buckthorn which actually looks alot like what I have, except its not a tall singular shrub I see on google its more multiple thick 5 foot hi shrub

Last edited by black; 10-14-20 at 10:40 AM.
    hmmmm......

minor update as I'm delaying working on a project at work...
    The pond has dried up and I took a walk into the thicket of "weeds/ brush" to get a better picture
    I used google assistant photo search feature and ID'd the plants , where i thought it was only one , there are 2 predominate ones

1- button wood
    https://hgic.clemson.edu/factsheet/common-buttonbush/

and
    2- Alder of which I cant find anything thru google about.....

edit.. Alder buckthorn which actually looks alot like what I have, except its not a tall singular shrub I see on google its more multiple thick 5 foot hi shrub
    more likely speckled alder (rugosa variety), it grows like a weed in wetlands, multiple stems, cut one off, it's just as big next year, stick a shoot in the mud, and it will root and grow, the buckthorn alder is a european native

Last edited by RandyO; 10-15-20 at 03:27 PM.
    RandyO
    IBA#9560

I’m working on a project at work with the company that makes these: https://www.aquaticweedtools.com/

-Matt