Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Convince me not to give up bee keeping

Re: Convince me not to give up bee keeping

Quote Originally Posted by R7 View Post
    Seems a bit early for them to kick out the drones, but the nights have been cooler than normal?

I pulled 8 frames of honey about a month ago, and should go in this week to pull a lot more. My neighbor open his hives last week and they were full of honey, he pulled a full super from each one. Seeing his hives and mine seem to be pretty close in years past, I'm expecting the same with mine. If that is the case, I'm guessing a 6 gallon+ season, which is awesome
    I got a late start this season, from scratch with the exception I was able to use frames that already had comb and not just frames with foundation and I have Russian bees, so the size of the hive is about half of what Carniolan or Italian bees would be, also from past experience, my bees seem to make more honey in early spring blooms, Red Maples, etc as they have to travel further as the season passes

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    RandyO
    IBA#9560
    A man with a gun is a citizen
    A man without a gun is a subject

Quote Originally Posted by RandyO View Post
    that "nest" is a hive, there are probably a lot more bees in there than you think (50,000+ maybe 100,000)

only way to get them out is to retrieve the queen, then the rest of the bees will follow

I spoke with a contractor once that found a hive in an attic, from the outside, you couldn't even tell, just one tiny entrance crack, inside, there was over 150 gallons of honey stored in the rafters
    Holy crap. My girlfriend's parents have some bees that fly in and out of the siding, now you've got me wondering what's going on up inside of there.

Randy, how did your bee keeping season go?

Considering the dry spell we had pretty much from late spring, all the way until the first fall frost, I had a great season. Close to 5 gallons of honey, mostly all from the same hive once again. I'm now convinced the darker color red hive has something to do with it. My white hive for the past few years has produced about 1/4 the honey as the red one.

Nice dark honey once again
    Convince me not to give up bee keeping-honey-jpg

Yamaha

A Big Powerful Sportbike

I started from scratch last spring, none of my bees survived last winter. The bee package I ordered arrived late(delivery date was postponed nearly 5 weeks) so I didn't get the package to install till middle of June, and they are Russian bees, the queen lays no where near as many eggs as an Italian queen, I have a strong hive, but harvested no honey this year. I look as honey as a bonus, my main goal is pollination, I had a good garden this year considering how badly I kept up with weeding

RandyO
    IBA#9560

I've been keeping the snow clear down to the entrance to the hive, yesterday when I went out to clear the snow down as only the roof and part of the top super is sticking out of the snow, I noticed they had a narrow tunnel already cleared

RandyO
    IBA#9560

I've been keeping mine shoveled out as well, that's how I lost a hive last year from the mice getting in the front entrance simply by walking off the snow and chewing the hole in the entrance reducer bigger. Both my hives are still alive as of today, I noticed fine wax droppings in the fresh snow today from both hives, so I know they are eating. I still may order 1 package of bees in case 1 does die, worst case, I'll start a 3rd if they both survive.

Yamaha

A Big Powerful Sportbike

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    RandyO
    IBA#9560

Yes, someone posted it to my FB a couple weeks ago. Pretty cool idea and I'd like to have one...spendy though.

I'm going to gamble and not order any bees this year. Both mine are alive as of today. If for some reason they still don't make it, I'm probably going to take a year off.

Yamaha

A Big Powerful Sportbike

364 Beers Shy of a Liter Trajiks9's Avatar

Got home from work today just in time to see this..one of my hives swarmed. I was a bit surprised, last weekend I was inside it and found no queen cells, but they were clearly out of room at the time. I ended up adding a full super to the top, and pulled 3 frames of honey...so they had 11 empty frames to work with.
    They are 50' up in a tree, so no chance in me getting them easily. I'm going to try and set up a quick hive with some old frames and supers, spray it with sugar water and see what happens. There is a chance they will move in if the scout bees find it.

Not sure what you tube does to the sound, but the video off the SD card has much higher volume.

Yamaha

A Big Powerful Sportbike

Would a drone with some attractant lure them down ?

The calculus of hate

It is not that I should win it is that you should lose
    It is not that I succeed it is that you fail
    It is not that I should live it is that you should die

Quote Originally Posted by Stromper View Post
    Would a drone with some attractant lure them down ?
    doesn't work that way with bees, they follow the queen , if your were to climb the tree, find the queen, they would follow you down

Mark, too bad ya don't have a rough terrain lift handy

RandyO
    IBA#9560

If it was a month ago, I'd have a lift at my disposal, neighbor had one for a month.

The thought crossed my mind to cut the tree down and lower it slowly with ropes until I could reach the cluster..I was planning to cut that tree this fall anyways.

I set up another hive, sprayed it with sugar water, and put a feeder in it with sugar water in it, and hope the scout bees find it and move in. I think that's the best i can do at this point

Yamaha

A Big Powerful Sportbike

Italian queens a whores

I have always had either Carniolan or Russian queens, never had a super fill so fast with brood, hive is already nearly as much brood as I have have ever seen with a Carniolan or Russian queen and its barely 6 weeks since I put the bees in the hives, 2 weeks ago, last time I opened the hives to feed them, the feeders we use hold enuf syrup to keep em happy for nearly 2 weeks, there was still plenty of space

RandyO
    IBA#9560

More bees = more honey and pollination. Keep your eye on those Italians for queen cells, they like to pump them out too. I'm 4 supers high on both mine...I'm not going any higher. Both are full of bees as of yesterday, some good honey, a LOT of brood, and both hives have swarmed twice on me in the past month.

Yamaha

A Big Powerful Sportbike

Quote Originally Posted by R7 View Post
    I'm 4 supers high on both mine.
    deeps? or mediums or combo

With a Russian Queen, we have never had more than 2 deeps filled with brood, with the Carniolan queens, hives have got as big as 2 deeps and 1 medium of brood

I have also noticed the Italian bees are a lot more docile,but still, I'm planning of buying a nice bee suit

RandyO
    IBA#9560

Quote Originally Posted by RandyO View Post
    deeps? or mediums or combo

With a Russian Queen, we have never had more than 2 deeps filled with brood, with the Carniolan queens, hives have got as big as 2 deeps and 1 medium of brood

I have also noticed the Italian bees are a lot more docile,but still, I'm planning of buying a nice bee suit
    4 medium, 8 frame supers. I'm going to try deeps next year, but I like the ease of working with the mediums.

One thing with Italian bees I've found, they are a bit less organized. My honey is typically on the outer frames, and the inner frames have brood. I'm not sure why and even asked a few other bee keepers and they said the same thing. I'll have honey in the top 3 supers...and brood mixed in in the middle frames of all 4 supers.

I just bought the bee jacket and it's much better than the vale that came with the bee kit. I just wear jeans and put my socks over them at my ankles. Only place I have ever gotten stung was my hands...usually through the gloves

Yamaha

A Big Powerful Sportbike

My hive that swarmed a little over a month ago, has become very aggressive. I can't get within 50' of it without getting stung now. Started happening about 2 weeks ago and is getting worse and worse...it's so aggressive, I'm even getting stung while mowing my lawn..in my bee suit, through the gloves...even my dog is afraid to go outside. I want to open it up and take the honey now..but I'm a little worried with my current bee equipment...guess I have no choice but to try it?
    I spend a lot of time in my yard and can't have them like this...unless I find a simple and quick solution to calm them down asap, it's likely they will no longer be here by the weekend

Yamaha

A Big Powerful Sportbike

I decided to open it up, got stung 5 or 6 more times through the gloves...most aggressive bees I have ever delt with. It's queenless, or I couldn't find her or any signs of her. No queen cells that I found either, so i'm calling it a wash on that hive. I pulled 8 frames of honey out of it, left maybe 10lbs for them. Unlikely they will requeen, unless I missed it, so my hope by taking all their honey is they will keep busy restocking their supply and maybe won't bother me and the dog? Long shot, but I don't really want to kill them

Yamaha

A Big Powerful Sportbike

What you have there are killer bees! lol

Paul_E_D

pulled 27 frames of honey today, left each hive with 1 deep super and short super of honey for winter, will be giving them some syrup over the next couple of weeks even though I think they have plenty for winter. Healthiest hives I've had in fall since the first year I started beekeeping, I was surprised how docile the bees were this late in season, but this is first year I have had Italians, in past I have always had Carniolans or Russians, they still haven't kicked the drones out yet

RandyO
    IBA#9560

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    RandyO
    IBA#9560

Very cool. How much time do you put into it in a given year? I'm considering starting this.

LRRS 878 Clapped out Gixxah

about 20-25 hours per hive, mostly in spring months, to start, about 3-4 hours assembling frames & mounting wax foundation and setting up a hive, a half hour to install a bee package,

first season, only need to feed them a few weeks at the start, then over the season add a super once a month, you may or may not get honey harvest the first season

second and subsequent seasons, you need to inspect at least once a week during late spring to look for queen cells and destroy them or they will swarm,

catching a swarm is fun too

RandyO
    IBA#9560

Nuts. I wonder if it's something I can get going near the city.

LRRS 878 Clapped out Gixxah