Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789

Convince me not to give up bee keeping

Re: Convince me not to give up bee keeping

my bees died in the hive sometime last December, they still had plenty of honey, so they didn't starve, we spun about 8 gallons they left before they died. Not sure why, when we opened the hive this spring, we just found a pile of dead bees.

fast forward to today, apparently a swarm has taken residence in one of my hives, gonna open it up in the next couple days to look for a queen, and straighten out the frames & supers, they are taking residence in the hive that is haphazardly stacked, not my other 2 that are ready for bees

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    RandyO
    IBA#9560
    A man with a gun is a citizen
    A man without a gun is a subject

I've been waiting for 2 years for a swarm to move into my hives, they have been empty for that long. Sometimes you get lucky, hopefully it works out for you.

A coworker cought a swarm about a month ago and asked if he could bring in to my house to get established. 3 weeks later he wanted to take it back to his house, but offered to split it and leave half the bees here. I cleaned out 1 of my hives, he pulled a queen out of one of his hives, and we split them last week. Hoping they get established soon as the sweet pepperbush is just starting to flower, so lots of nectar in my area

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Yamaha

A Big Powerful Sportbike

elderberry bloom, is just getting over in my area, joe pye weed, milkweed, coming up, and other wildflowers, my rock garden starts blooming soon as well, not sure what the little yellow flowers are, but I got a lot of weeds flowering in my garden, I left it idle.

RandyO
    IBA#9560

ack! no bees, what I saw the other day were a ton of bees stripping the remaining honey from the frames we spun, somebodies hive got a small boost

RandyO
    IBA#9560

Ah that's too bad. I waited two years for a swarm to take over one of my two empty hives with no luck. I don't think I'm going to bother down here in FL,

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789