Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

corded rotary hammer drill questions

corded rotary hammer drill questions

i'm looking to drill a bunch of 1.5" diameter holes of varying depths up to approximately 1' deep into various types of rock...i know i can rent a 2" makita rotary hammer from home depot as i have already done it but with the amount of holes i have to drill and the amount of time it would take to complete i think i would like to buy the equipment and take my time

i already have the below 1/2" hammer drill...i don't think this drill will do the job...the chuck is straight (not splined, sds, sds plus, sds max, etc.)...what drill bits would be best?...if not this drill does anyone know what size rotary hammer i should look at or where a good place to buy it would be?...i know a 2" bosch or makita would run $800-$1000 plus i would have to buy drill bits

https://www.amazon.com/DEWALT-DWD520...ammerdrill+kit

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by Point37; 04-24-18 at 09:10 AM.
    bike: none but i have a seafoam green 125cc scooter
    Point37s Garage Sale Thread

High maintenance priss

Re: corded rotary hammer drill questions

No way a 1/2" hammer drill will cut it. I have a 1-9/16" rotary hammer and I'd think that lots of 1-1/2" holes in rock would be pushing it a bit for this size. I believe that size is about the most you'd do in concrete. You are probably in 1-3/4"+ territory. At these drill sizes you're only going to find SDS-MAX chuck size. You can get adapters to use the smaller bits. How many holes is a lot?

Great tool to have if you're into DIY stuff. I've used mine for foundation work (rebar, anchors), brick demo, and tile/thinset demo. Mine is the Makita AVT. No regrets.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

1.5" is a lot for a solid drill bit, your drill will definitely not hold up to a lot of that. You can get a Milwaukee 1-3/4 SDS Max for under $500, I wouldn't use a smaller drill for this. I've punched hundreds of holes with the above tool and it's always held up even in precast concrete.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    I went to MMI I know what Im doing here chief

I have a Ryobi hammer drill, takes SDS bits, biggest hole I have done and would attempt in rock is 5/8" I have used my 3/4" bit to drill pilot holes for property corners and grade stakes in frost

corded rotary hammer drill questions-179128_4574817582499_1961397281_n-jpgcorded rotary hammer drill questions-941542_4574819182539_1272683295_n-jpg

RandyO
    IBA#9560
    A man with a gun is a citizen
    A man without a gun is a subject

Quote Originally Posted by keeena View Post
    No way a 1/2" hammer drill will cut it. I have a 1-9/16" rotary hammer and I'd think that lots of 1-1/2" holes in rock would be pushing it a bit for this size. I believe that size is about the most you'd do in concrete. You are probably in 1-3/4"+ territory. At these drill sizes you're only going to find SDS-MAX chuck size. You can get adapters to use the smaller bits. How many holes is a lot?

Great tool to have if you're into DIY stuff. I've used mine for foundation work (rebar, anchors), brick demo, and tile/thinset demo. Mine is the Makita AVT. No regrets.
    Quote Originally Posted by loudbeard View Post
    1.5" is a lot for a solid drill bit, your drill will definitely not hold up to a lot of that. You can get a Milwaukee 1-3/4 SDS Max for under $500, I wouldn't use a smaller drill for this. I've punched hundreds of holes with the above tool and it's always held up even in precast concrete.
    thanks fellas...that's what i was thinking...the perimeter of my back yard is lined with rocks...and a number of them are large rocks that i want to remove from my yard...the way my yard is it would be tough for a machine to get back there due to my driveway and my fence...i could maybe get a mini or a skid steer but you're talking a ton of trips from my yard out to the road just to move 1 or 2 rocks at a time which will also rip up the yard...i plan to drill the large ones and break them into smaller pieces and move them by wheel barrow...i don't really have a count on the number of holes as i am going to move what i can first and then see what's left...i just want to be prepared for what i will need to get the job done

https://providence.craigslist.org/tl...533322971.html
    https://providence.craigslist.org/tl...501033572.html
    https://boston.craigslist.org/sob/tl...570166464.html
    https://boston.craigslist.org/nos/tl...558957012.html

Last edited by Point37; 04-24-18 at 12:59 PM.

I have a boulder growing in my driveway I have been thinking of attacking with dexpan, or I may buy more feathers & wedges, I want to get more for other projects anyway

RandyO
    IBA#9560

All you need is a rock hammer, and some time....

Dad's Dream: Earn enough money to live the life that his wife and kids do.

Ever consider feathers and wedges instead of the grout method? You would be amazed at what you can do with a 5/8" bit and 3/4" feathers. It could potentially save you from buying one of the large rotary hammer drills although they are pretty fast when using a 5/8" bit.

"...i would seriously bite somebody right in the balls..." -bump909

ain't nuttin wrong w/that scubasteveRR's Avatar

i use a Makita AVT at work. puts 3/4 inch holes in concrete like butter.

Quote Originally Posted by ZX-12R View Post
    Ever consider feathers and wedges instead of the grout method? You would be amazed at what you can do with a 5/8" bit and 3/4" feathers. It could potentially save you from buying one of the large rotary hammer drills although they are pretty fast when using a 5/8" bit.
    https://www.milessupply.com/product/...rs-and-wedges/

this company out of Vermont is a good source for quarrying supplies

RandyO
    IBA#9560

Quote Originally Posted by ZX-12R View Post
    i've never used them but it looks like you have to drill the rock to use them anyway so i would still need a drill...using grout would be much easier...and i would imagine it would take less working time to mix and pour vs hammer with feathers and wedges

You still have to drill holes, but not 1.5" ones. That in and of itself can save you a lot of time. For the smaller stuff you are breaking up, the wedges would be fast and reusable.

"...i would seriously bite somebody right in the balls..." -bump909