Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Cordless Power Tools

Re: Cordless Power Tools

Quote Originally Posted by Kurlon View Post
    I've got two 1/2" air impacts, my cheapie from Tractor Supply can likely be beat by a 3yr old with their bare hands. My old one I inherited from my grandfather, I'd be impressed if a cordless could out gun it. Anything it's failed on required cutting to remove. That said, at some point I will pick up a Milwalkie Fuel M18 1/2" to compliment my drill and 1/4" impact.
    this is the pneumatic wrench I have been looking at, about the same price as the Milwaukee Fuel bare tool. with charger and just one battery adds nearly a couple hundred $$

https://www.cp.com/en-us/tools/produ...ches/cp7748tl-

0 Not allowed!
    RandyO
    IBA#9560
    A man with a gun is a citizen
    A man without a gun is a subject

Quote Originally Posted by RandyO View Post
    this is the pneumatic wrench I have been looking at, about the same price as the Milwaukee Fuel bare tool. with charger and just one battery adds nearly a couple hundred $$

https://www.cp.com/en-us/tools/produ...ches/cp7748tl-
    Randy,
    You're sure you want the special "torque limited" model? 1/15th the power in forward?? The regular ones DO have a lower setting...

0 Not allowed!
    99 + 02 SV650 ex-race - 91 FJ1200 street - 03 KDX220R woods - 12 WR450F motard/ice

I used to be a Dewalt fan years ago. Still have a 20+ year old 9.6V drill going strong. A number of years back I switched to Milwaukee as I didn't like the newer Dewalt stuff. I have a mismatch of Milwaukee drills, impacts, ratchets, vacuum, etc. My family bought me a compact drill and impact driver kit for Christmas from Dewalt. Now, I don't know if they bought a homeowner grade set up, but it is nothing compared to the Milwaukee equipment that I have. The batteries don't even have a charge indicator on them. The only issue I have with Milwaukee is they seem to change battery design too often. None of my Milwaukee stuff has similar batteries.

0 Not allowed!
    Dad's Dream: Earn enough money to live the life that his wife and kids do.

I just ordered this kit from Home Depot. It includes the Hydraulic impact driver, the FUEL hammer drill, and two 5.0Ah batteries with a charger. The impact driver and drill are the most frequently used tools I own so it's a good start.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Milwauke...4-20/308101352

I'm skeptical of the hydraulic impact driver. It's new techonology and I question the longevity vs the non-hydraulic. It's quiet which is huge for me since the sound of an impact driver has always irked me. Based on the reviews I'm guessing I won't be dissapointed but worst case scenario is I pick up a non-hydraulic bare tool down the road and use the hydraulic for lighter stuff.

2 Not allowed!

Current Milwaukee M12 batteries do not have a charge indicator on them either. Neither do Bosch 12V batteries. Most of the tools seem to have indicators on the tool instead.
    Honestly, does it matter? I never pay any attention to the indicators. Just reef on the thing until it doesn't chooch.. then swap batteries and reef summore.

I think both the Dewalt 20V batteries I have have indicators on them.
    None of my Crapsman 19V packs or tools have indicators.. except the 3rd party knock off pack I have. That has an indicator. Never been an issue.

I think the Dewalt tools are just as good as the others. Seemed to be priced a smidge lower than Milwaukee. Not quite the same catalog of tools though.
    I'll admit I'm biased as I have an old friend that works for Dewalt corporate. If they made a compact 12V system like Milwaukee or Bosch I'd probably have bought into that.

0 Not allowed!

Hydraulic.. wierd.
    Bet it drives screws though. That's what matters.

Now you'll want a cordless sawsall (best tool evah).. and a circ-saw.. and about 500 cordless lights.. and..
    And then you'll get tired of carrying a 18V battery pack tool around and buy into their M12 system too.

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by nhbubba View Post
    Hydraulic.. wierd.
    Bet it drives screws though. That's what matters.

Now you'll want a cordless sawsall (best tool evah).. and a circ-saw.. and about 500 cordless lights.. and..
    And then you'll get tired of carrying a 18V battery pack tool around and buy into their M12 system too.
    Hydraulic is the new thing with impact drivers as Makita and Ridgid offer it as well. It has a much lower torque rating (450in/lbs), but I'm just driving screws and reach for something else when it comes to the heavy stuff. That being said the benefits of hydraulic appeal to me.

You make an interesting point about wanting to buy more...As I pointed out earlier, I'm generally not a fan of cordless. I'd rather have the limitless power and longevity of a corded tool so I typically only go cordless where portability is key. But after browsing the options with Milwaukee and considering the improvements with both the batteries and the motors, I may find myself branching a little further into the cordless realm than anticipated. We'll see how far it ends up going.

0 Not allowed!

Cordless circular saw is great for quick cuts or single cuts and you don’t want to drag out the extension cord.
    I couldn’t get my chainsaw started a couple months ago, so I did a hella lotta tree trimming with my Makita 18v sawzall.
    Both of these I got used on eBay for like 50 bucks
    It’s a slippery slope.

I’ve got 2 batteries that I think are 3 or 4 Ah, and one that is 1.5 Ah. The majority of the time for odds and ends around the house, I just use the 1.5 Ah because it’s significantly lighter.

0 Not allowed!
    Last edited by MattR302; 02-11-20 at 12:41 PM.
    -Matt

Over the summer I dove head first into the Dewalt 20v line up after realizing they don't even make adapters for the 16v tools I already had anymore. Impact, drill, sawsall, circ saw, flash light, etc. Also got the heated jacket for Xmas (which is apparently designed for ice fishing in the arctic and nothing else, it's ridiculously hot even in a tshirt when turned on). No regrets. My brother in law is a Milwaukee guy and seems to love them, he uses them daily as an RV tech.

0 Not allowed!

My new Dewalts are 18 or 20V, no indicator. The indicator is important to me because if I'm grabbing a battery and tool from the garage and going to work outside, I don't want to run in 3 screws and realize the battery is dead. So it's important to me.

0 Not allowed!
    Dad's Dream: Earn enough money to live the life that his wife and kids do.

Funny story.

I had started doing metal roofing like 8 or 9 years ago and had a Milwaukee impact. The guy I worked for had a Makita. Both of us being competitive people, we raced to see which would drive the screw quicker. The Makita smoked the Milwaukee. His battery lasted twice as long, too.

I literally went out and bought an impact/drill kit the next day. Haven't looked back since. Some of the batteries are starting to lose there charge now 9 years later. I've dropped it off a roof several times, still works great.

I did buy a Dewalt kit a couple years ago, because they came out with a 20v and I liked how the battery had a meter on it, but different things started failing on it pretty quickly Ann's I went back to my original Makita.

0 Not allowed!

12 Ducati Multi, 17 Husky FS450, 15 KX450F sumo, 15 Husky 250SXF tard, 14 KTM 250SXF

LRRS/CCS #66
    Thank you to my sponsors: Sidi / AMSOIL / Klutch Industries

Also, the 20v Dewalt is misleading. It's only 20v max, so it doesn't run at 20v for very long. The Makita now has an indicator on the battery, too. Plenty of accessory tools, as well.

0 Not allowed!

12 Ducati Multi, 17 Husky FS450, 15 KX450F sumo, 15 Husky 250SXF tard, 14 KTM 250SXF

LRRS/CCS #66

[QUOTE=sdog30;1557480]Funny story.

I had started doing metal roofing like 8 or 9 years ago and had a Milwaukee impact. The guy I worked for had a Makita. Both of us being competitive people, we raced to see which would drive the screw quicker. The Makita smoked the Milwaukee. His battery lasted twice as long, too.

I literally went out and bought an impact/drill kit the next day. Haven't looked back since. Some of the batteries are starting to lose there charge now 9 years later. I've dropped it off a roof several times, still works great.QUOTE]

Sounds like it may not have been a true apples to apples comparison. Two of my buddies had a similar pissing match last summer (Makita vs Milwaukee driving 3" self-tapping screws into 2x4s) and I don't remember even noticing a difference. Tests performed in reviews I read showed them to be close, and battery life is supposedly one thing Milwaukee has become king of.

Every brand offers different grades within their line up. Some brands even have different brushless lines that supposedly perform better than the standard brushless line. For example, I'm being told the Milwaukee FUEL is a big jump over the standard brushless models.

0 Not allowed!

I think Milwaukee, Dewalt and Makita are very similar in quality and performance. Pretty sure once one gets a cool feature, the other copies it soon after, ie the battery gauge. So maybe just pick the one you want to build off, so you have all the same batteries.

I don't regret going the Makita direction and have seen a litt of other contractors with them, as well. The Milwaukee fuel line seems to be really popular with plumbers for some reason. Maybe they offer more plumbing specific tools? I know they like the small sawzall.

0 Not allowed!

LRRS/CCS #66

I think of it like Honda motorcycles. Lots of similarities between them, Kawi and Yamaha. Hondas are supposed to be really reliable, but every one I've owned (3 of them) I've had issues with.

0 Not allowed!

LRRS/CCS #66

After all of the reading I did I couldn't find any major difference and frankly it pretty much was a coin toss for me.

I agree with your analogy regarding Honda motorcycles. Makita and Milwaukee are the standard among the professionals and listening to them go back and forth about which is better can be pretty entertaining. Everyone has a supposed irrefutable story about why one is better than the other. When you put it all together there's no difference. Both have their pros and cons.

0 Not allowed!

I like theft proof "green" better than red. Do let us know how this new hydraulic thing works. I hadn't considered the noise aspect, my cordless impacts are LOUD.

0 Not allowed!
    99 + 02 SV650 ex-race - 91 FJ1200 street - 03 KDX220R woods - 12 WR450F motard/ice

Ryobi has this, Iíve been waiting for Makita to make one, but they only do a 12v version now
    https://www.homedepot.com/p/RYOBI-18...P737/206159256

1 Not allowed!
    -Matt

^ It's my bike and my car tls25rs's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by sdog30 View Post
    I think of it like Honda motorcycles. Lots of similarities between them, Kawi and Yamaha. Hondas are supposed to be really reliable, but every one I've owned (3 of them) I've had issues with.
    Quote Originally Posted by BSR6 View Post
    After all of the reading I did I couldn't find any major difference and frankly it pretty much was a coin toss for me.

I agree with your analogy regarding Honda motorcycles. Makita and Milwaukee are the standard among the professionals and listening to them go back and forth about which is better can be pretty entertaining. Everyone has a supposed irrefutable story about why one is better than the other. When you put it all together there's no difference. Both have their pros and cons.
    I liken this discussion to one that comes up frequently about cars and their manufacturers.

A $20k vehicle from manufacturer A is going to have very similar options and quality as a $20k vehicle from manufacturer B. Same for manufacturers C and D as well. One manufacturer may have an option that is of particular importance to a subset of buyers where others have an option that another subset of buyers prefers. When it comes down to it, in the current economy, a $20k vehicle is very comparable to another $20k vehicle. You may like the appearance of one over the other, or some random feature of one over the other but they all are a $20k vehicle when it comes down to it. As long as you are comparing vehicles of the same $20k type then they won't be too different just because of how things are manufactured and analyzed to the smallest detail for cost/profit.

Builder grade tools vs. home owner grade tools is one price range vs. another. Within a certain price range you will get similar quality/longevity no matter which you choose. You like red, Milwaukee it is, Blue/Black and white Makita, yellow Dewalt. The market just won't bear a tool manufacturer that makes a crappy product at the same price point. Too many online resources for reviews etc. and no manufacturer will make a Mercedes/Ferrari/Lamborghini of a tool at a Hyundai price point because their share holders will lose their mind if they aren't seeing the profits reflected in their stock values/dividends.

Didn't mean that to wind up so long winded......I like Milwaukee!

0 Not allowed!

....................... PinHead's Avatar

Milwaukee tools are great, I have finally switched over all my cordless tools to them after using Rigid for years. I have had a couple issues with them after some severe abuse and they still covered the repairs under warranty.

0 Not allowed!
    2018 Harley Road Glide
    2000 Ducati 900ss
    2018 Onewheel XR

ain't nuttin wrong w/that scubasteveRR's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Falko View Post
    My new Dewalts are 18 or 20V, no indicator. The indicator is important to me because if I'm grabbing a battery and tool from the garage and going to work outside, I don't want to run in 3 screws and realize the battery is dead. So it's important to me.
    I concur, when i go grab a drill from the van outside or walk down 6 flight of stairs to get a tool, I make sure I have a full battery. i think the battery power bar on the 18v Mil. batteies and the power indicators on the 12v tools are a great feature and I definitely use it everyday. I know what batteries are good, half way charged or ready to be charged with out any guessing

1 Not allowed!

ain't nuttin wrong w/that scubasteveRR's Avatar

The Milwaukee line seems to have literally every tool ever imagined. I think they made some of the shit in their catalog up actually.
    I know right, the stuff milwaukee comes out with is crazy. job specific tools like the threaded rod cutter or PVC shears or Copper pipe cutters.

Other manufactures can't even keep up with the innovation of Milwaukee to produce a tool that fills a niche market.

Told myself i'd never buy one of those pipe cutters, now that I own one. it's the shit, but who else would buy that but a plumber?

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by MattR302 View Post
    Ryobi has this, I’ve been waiting for Makita to make one, but they only do a 12v version now
    https://www.homedepot.com/p/RYOBI-18...P737/206159256
    Poop. That looks handy. Now I feel like I need this.

Goes to show tho. Ryobi: $20. Dewalt: $100.

0 Not allowed!

Goes to show tho. Ryobi: $20. Dewalt: $100.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vovchandr View Post
    Have you ever tried the battery adapters between the brands from Ebay etc?
    Because of that little tire inflator, I’m considering trying one of those adapters.

0 Not allowed!
    -Matt

In case you haven't seen this:

3 Not allowed!
    "...i would seriously bite somebody right in the balls..." -bump909

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast