Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Cordless Power Tools

ain't nuttin wrong w/that scubasteveRR's Avatar

Re: Cordless Power Tools

GO RED!

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by MattR302 View Post
    Ryobi has this, Iíve been waiting for Makita to make one, but they only do a 12v version now
    Quote Originally Posted by ZX-12R View Post
    In case you haven't seen this:
    thanks for the heads up on these, i hadn't seen the handheld models yet.

i already own a cheapo HF Bauer 1/4" impact that i use for small jobs that uses the same 20V battery + charger as this one below. can't beat $25. perfect for the bikes.

BAUER 20V Hypermax Lithium-Ion Cordless 0-160 PSI Power Inflator

0 Not allowed!
    Beta 200RR

My frustration with DeWalt is that they discontinued the 18V line for the “20V” line. But the battery internals are the same: it’s just a different form factor. The good news is that NIB 18V stuff is on eBay at a discount.

Isn’t in front of me but the particular model of impact gun isn’t very powerful. Circ saw, recip saw and drills work well.

Harbor Freight has upgraded their products but don’t know anyone using them.

0 Not allowed!
    Last edited by Garandman; 02-13-20 at 09:14 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Garandman View Post
    But the battery internals are the same: it’s just a different form factor...
    Are you sure about that? The 18V line used NiCad batteries where the 20V line is lithium.

I have a set of 18V XRP tools from the early 2000's that won't quit. I bought the adapter so I can use the 20V batteries with them but they do require a different charger.

0 Not allowed!
    Last edited by ZX-12R; 02-13-20 at 09:18 AM.
    "...i would seriously bite somebody right in the balls..." -bump909

Craftsman managed to make lithium batteries that fit the tools that were designed around the nicad packs. They are all branded "19.2V". There is an extra little tab on the male part of the battery that prevents it from being inserted into the older chargers that only handled nicad batteries. Newer/more expensive chargers that handle both chemistry accept the tabbed battery. Most of the tools seem to accept either.

0 Not allowed!

Lifer

Milwaukee seems to be the tool of choice for local 103 and most of the other trades I see on jobs.

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Garandman View Post
    My frustration with DeWalt is that they discontinued the 18V line for the “20V” line. But the battery internals are the same: it’s just a different form factor..
    the business model has become forced replacement by obsolescence

1 Not allowed!
    RandyO
    IBA#9560
    A man with a gun is a citizen
    A man without a gun is a subject

Quote Originally Posted by nhbubba View Post
    Craftsman managed to make lithium batteries that fit the tools that were designed around the nicad packs.
    DeWalt had a compatible lithium pack for the 18V form factor but it was expensive and not readily available anywhere. I'm not sure if they are still making it. They went all-in with the more compact 20V form factor and the 20V chargers also support their 12V line.

My adapter works fine but it looks like an afterthought when used on my large drill.

0 Not allowed!
    "...i would seriously bite somebody right in the balls..." -bump909

My Dewalt stuff is all 20v, not 18v. The smaller AH packs don't have the charge meter on them, but the larger ones do.

0 Not allowed!
    -Clayton
    2006 Suzuki SV650
    2004 Suzuki Vstrom 650
    2001 Kawasaki ZRX1200R
    2000 Honda CBR929RR
    1982 Honda CB750F Super Sport

Weird. My little 2.0Ah packs have the meter on it.
    There must be 104593 different skus for these things.

0 Not allowed!

Tools were delivered today and I'm home with the kids due to school being canceled (seriously?). That being said, I've been able to tinker with them.

This hydraulic impact gun is the shit. It's SILENT and has no vibration. Quiet enough to have a low level conversation while running it. The smoothness and lack of noise make it feel very weak so I put it head to head with my old impact gun. It drives 3" self tapping framing screws into 2 2x4s a hair faster than the 20V Porter Cable. I actually clamped down two 2x4s, one on top of the other, and ran both guns at the same time (one in each hand). I did this a few times over, swapping the guns between hands and the hydraulic won every time regardless whether it was in my left or right hand.

This was just a simple test and I'll know more when I use it for bigger projects (building a deck this spring) but based on the framing screw test I'm loving it. To me, 3 inch framing screws are the hardest application I use an impact driver for so it's a pretty good indication and it passed with flying colors.

I highly recommend going hydraulic to anyone in the market for a new, higher end impact driver.

2 Not allowed!
    Last edited by BSR6; 02-13-20 at 01:54 PM.

I've had my Porter Cable brushless drill and impact driver set for about a year and I love it. I've used the crap out of it over this time and so far so good. If I had to guess; between the two, I've drilled for and driven anywhere from 500-750 1 5/8" #8 screws (plus who knows what else) into mostly pine, MDF, oak plywood and sheeting plywood. I almost never use my corded drill anymore.

0 Not allowed!

CCS/LRRS/NEMM AM #205 (Inactive)

....................... PinHead's Avatar

Picked up a Milwaukee Surge last week and I like it so far. And by picked up I mean it, it was in an intersection I was stopped in on the road. Has some serious road rash but still works like a champ.

2 Not allowed!
    2018 Harley Road Glide
    2000 Ducati 900ss
    2018 Onewheel XR

Quote Originally Posted by PinHead View Post
    Picked up a Milwaukee Surge last week and I like it so far. And by picked up I mean it, it was in an intersection I was stopped in on the road. Has some serious road rash but still works like a champ.
    You found my tool! Thanks!

1 Not allowed!
    What's the difference between a bolt and a screw?
    First you screw, then you bolt.

i'm running an old dewalt nicad impact driver...has held up well but i don't do a ton of work with it...sold an even older milwaukee nicad impact not too long ago...had to revive the battery but when i did it ran pretty well

0 Not allowed!
    bike: none but i have a seafoam green 125cc scooter
    Point37s Garage Sale Thread

Quote Originally Posted by sdog30 View Post
    I think Milwaukee, Dewalt and Makita are very similar in quality and performance. Pretty sure once one gets a cool feature, the other copies it soon after, ie the battery gauge. So maybe just pick the one you want to build off, so you have all the same batteries.

I don't regret going the Makita direction and have seen a litt of other contractors with them, as well. The Milwaukee fuel line seems to be really popular with plumbers for some reason. Maybe they offer more plumbing specific tools? I know they like the small sawzall.
    Plumbers use Milwaukee
    Electricians run makita
    Carpenters run Dewalt

If you buy the top of the line of any of these with at least a 3.0 ah 20v brushless you're good to go.

0 Not allowed!
    [/IMG][/URL]

....................... PinHead's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by G21forme View Post
    Plumbers use Milwaukee
    Electricians run makita
    Carpenters run Dewalt

If you buy the top of the line of any of these with at least a 3.0 ah 20v brushless you're good to go.
    Umm, no. Makita and DeWalt - carpenters.
    Plumbers, Electricians, Pipe fitters, Sprinkler fitters and anyone else besides a carpenter - Milwaukee

Milwaukee also doesnt have a 20v setup, 12 and 18v.

1 Not allowed!
    2018 Harley Road Glide
    2000 Ducati 900ss
    2018 Onewheel XR

Fuck I guess now I'll have to be a plumber

0 Not allowed!
    I went to MMI I know what Im doing here chief

Quote Originally Posted by loudbeard View Post
    Fuck I guess now I'll have to be a plumber
    Let's see that crack!

0 Not allowed!
    -Clayton
    2006 Suzuki SV650
    2004 Suzuki Vstrom 650
    2001 Kawasaki ZRX1200R
    2000 Honda CBR929RR
    1982 Honda CB750F Super Sport

Quote Originally Posted by TheIglu View Post
    Let's see that crack!
    Crack is whack, man

0 Not allowed!

So I completed a few projects last weekend that gave me a chance to do a decent amount of work with both tools (Drill and Impact Driver). The key takeaways I got are that there is a HUGE difference in using pro grade tools over homeowner grade, and the hydraulic impact driver is the shit. I can confidently say there seems to be no compromise between the hydraulic and traditional impacts. It's super quiet and super smooth.

What I like most about these tools is the trigger control. On the homeowner grade stuff I've had, the triggers were like on/off switches. The triggers on these Milwaukee tools are very smooth and give you a lot of control.

One gripe is that the forward/reverse switch sticks occasionally on the drill. It's not a huge deal, you just apply a little pressure and it unsticks, but it's annoying. It only seems to stick if I put it in the middle position to lock the trigger so I just try not to do that. I'm just a little irritated considering these are supposed to be top of the line tools.

1 Not allowed!
    Last edited by BSR6; 02-20-20 at 09:18 AM.

Just spit on it a bit, it'll loosen right up.

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by BSR6 View Post
    So I completed a few projects last weekend that gave me a chance to do a decent amount of work with both tools (Drill and Impact Driver). The key takeaways I got are that there is a HUGE difference in using pro grade tools over homeowner grade, and the hydraulic impact driver is the shit. I can confidently say there seems to be no compromise between the hydraulic and traditional impacts. It's super quiet and super smooth.

What I like most about these tools is the trigger control. On the homeowner grade stuff I've had, the triggers were like on/off switches. The triggers on these Milwaukee tools are very smooth and give you a lot of control.

One gripe is that the forward/reverse switch sticks occasionally on the drill. It's not a huge deal, you just apply a little pressure and it unsticks, but it's annoying. It only seems to stick if I put it in the middle position to lock the trigger so I just try not to do that. I'm just a little irritated considering these are supposed to be rop of the line tools.
    If it's a Milwaukee, send it to them for repair or replace once you're in between projects.

1 Not allowed!
    What's the difference between a bolt and a screw?
    First you screw, then you bolt.

Quote Originally Posted by TheIglu View Post
    Let's see that crack!

1 Not allowed!
    EX 105 : AMA, ASRA, CCS South East, and WERA
    2014 ASRA SuperStock National Champion - Amateur Division
    Thanks to my 2017 sponsors: All Balls Racing, Galfer, K&N, Motul, Sidi Boots, Vortex, Woodcraft, Yoshimura R&D

Quote Originally Posted by tls25rs View Post
    I liken this discussion to one that comes up frequently about cars and their manufacturers.//!
    There’s giant difference!

AvE doesn’t review cars! This is on wild Canadian.

0 Not allowed!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast