Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Cordless Power Tools

....................... PinHead's Avatar

Re: Cordless Power Tools

Quote Originally Posted by golden chicken View Post
    If it's a Milwaukee, send it to them for repair or replace once you're in between projects.
    There is a Milwaukee tool center on University Ave in Westwood where you can drop it off as well. They are pretty quick btw, I have had to use them a couple times.

1 Not allowed!
    2018 Harley Road Glide
    2000 Ducati 900ss
    2018 Onewheel XR

Another observation on the hydraulic impact driver as I had a couple of small tasks requiring it's use over the weekend. It strips small phillips head fasteners pretty easily. I'm assuming this has to do with the longer pulse of torque that a hydraulic driver delivers vs a conventional (google it and you'll see what I'm talking about). I actually switched back to my old driver and it was much easier.

I didn't realize until I was done that the gun has a setting to mitigate this. That being said I didn't have a chance to try the feature but I'll be sure to update everyone when I do. As of now, it's almost worth getting a conventional impact driver just for this reason as it was really a pain in the ass. I should note, with a proper fitting bit and decent fastener the hydraulic driver works great. What I'm noticing only applies to smaller screws were you can never get a nice solid fit like you can on most fasteners.

1 Not allowed!

This weekend I was watching a video of a guy assembling ikea furniture using a brushless 20v dewalt impact driver. Why?!?

Right tool for the job. And that ain't it!

For smaller screws that strip out easy, get a smaller driver with an adjustable clutch. Absolutely the way to go and way, way worth it if you do a lot of it.

I have such a tool from Bosch and it's awesome at that sort of thing. Set the clutch light and you can set #4 and #6 screws consistently every time. Clutch it up and the tool will burry a couple construction screws in a pinch. But it isn't meant for that. Bust out the heavier impact for that.

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by BSR6 View Post
    Another observation on the hydraulic impact driver as I had a couple of small tasks requiring it's use over the weekend. It strips small phillips head fasteners pretty easily..
    that is by design, Phillips fasteners are designed to strip the fastener before damaging/overtightening, the object that is being fastened, not to be confused with JIS that is not designed to strip

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_screw_drives

The design is often criticized for its tendency to cam out at lower torque levels than other "cross head" designs. There has long been a popular belief that this was a deliberate feature of the design, to assemble aluminium aircraft without overtightening the fasteners.[15]:85[16] Extensive evidence is lacking for this specific narrative, and the feature is not mentioned in the original patents.[17] However, a 1949 refinement to the original design described in US Patent #2,474,994[18][19][20] describes this feature.

0 Not allowed!
    Last edited by RandyO; 02-24-20 at 12:24 PM.
    RandyO
    IBA#9560
    A man with a gun is a citizen
    A man without a gun is a subject

All valid points but...When I switched over to the conventional impact driver it worked just fine and these are tasks that I've always used in impact for.

I think the key factor here is me not using the correct mode. My logic was the nice modulation the trigger offers would help but maybe the modes are that critical.

0 Not allowed!

I am happy that deck screw manufacturers have switched to torx instead of phillips

0 Not allowed!
    RandyO
    IBA#9560
    A man with a gun is a citizen
    A man without a gun is a subject

Quote Originally Posted by RandyO View Post
    I am happy that deck screw manufacturers have switched to torx instead of phillips
    Square drive deck screws have been around forever but I agree, torx is awesome.

0 Not allowed!

CCS/LRRS/NEMM AM #205 (Inactive)

....................... PinHead's Avatar

Cordless Power Tools-4d02a75a-dbbc-4254-a341-1a7fc9629b0dCordless Power Tools-d80f9907-1f4d-43e8-8e5f-4a86b0f64a66Just get a bit of everything.

1 Not allowed!
    2018 Harley Road Glide
    2000 Ducati 900ss
    2018 Onewheel XR

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234