Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

corvettes

corvettes

One of my dream cars has always been a Vet. My other would be a 911.
    So as my truck payments near its end and I have decided to keep the 2010 F150.
    Its time to start looking for my Mid Life crisis, dream ride. Thinking late C5 or early C6 , 911s are way out of my price range...
    Would like a convertible or T top, auto shift ( this is a cruiser ride ) Not tracking it. Thinking soft tops might rattle more? At least that's what my early research says, so T tops would be the comp. Only issue I can see with that is storage?
    Anyone whos owned either and has an history on what to look for or lookout for? Plus's minus's C5 vs C6 A lot of well kept low mileage looking rides out there, so input before I start tire kicking is appreciated.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

(4) Try not to be a dick. PurplePackage's Avatar

Re: corvettes

I've never seen a new vet going over 65 on the highway. Test drive an XLR you old man. At least you will get to enjoy the ride and the prestige.

Its a corvette, get the nicest one you can find within your budget and enjoy it

Vettes have targa tops not T's Your not going to want the blue clear one as your going to bake in the summer, stick with a body colored one. C5s are great all aroudners but the interior is hot mid 90s Gm garbage. if you can get over that a couple of mods and you will have a nice backroad bomber.

If you can go for a C6, interior gets nicer, but still Gm, what ever you get, I would find one with the Z51 handling package.

If the budget allows A C4 ZR1 is a hell of a car.

if build quality is a concern buy the 911

(4) Try not to be a dick. PurplePackage's Avatar

Hear me out:

ICE sports cars are about to be crushed by electric. It will take several years to design them, but it has already started. Tesla has a 5 year lead with the Plaid. That can outrun ANY production vehicle, ever.. Cadillac has plans for electric SUVs, and the electric mustang CUV is already close to the C8 on the drag strip, etc.

https://carbuzz.com/news/this-is-how...t-the-1-4-mile
    https://www.carindigo.com/ford/mustang-mach-e-suv/0to60

If you can get an older vet and hold off for 4-5 years, new worlds will have opened up.

The future is going to be fast and quiet.

Yes the performance is bat shit crazy, but sports cars with great engines and manual transmissions will always be coveted.

4 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Some people enjoy the classics instead of the new crap.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    2012 Tiger 800 XC

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    RandyO
    IBA#9560
    A man with a gun is a citizen
    A man without a gun is a subject

Quote Originally Posted by e30addict View Post
    Some people enjoy the classics instead of the new crap.
    C5 is a classic at this point

Not that I needed the reminder that 2001 isn’t 4 years ago anymore

I went to MMI I know what Im doing here chief

corvettes-c6-427-jpg Electric maybe fast and the future is green( we can discuss that point in another thread) but in the next twenty plus years of my driving life i am burning dino....

C sex, I mean C6, with the targa top. Boo on the auto, but whatever.

Always wanted a Z06 myself, might have happened but I got married and had kids....

Love them all.
    Buds dad had one with a pro charger or vortech can’t remember but insane to say the least

I'll dd the fuck out of a c7 zr1

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by zxme View Post
    Love them all.
    Buds dad had one with a pro charger or vortech can’t remember but insane to say the least
    Lsx to rule the world

There's not a Corvette out there that I don't like. I certainly appreciate more than others, and they've had some incredibly weak models that almost killed the brand. But I'll never turn away from a Corvette.

As was pointed out, get whatever you can that fits your budget. Enjoy the fuck out of it. If it comes down to a C5 or C6 and it was my cake, I'd be all over the C6. Besides the fixed headlights (which being a purist I thought I'd HATE and ended up loving), you'll be getting a much better vehicle. I'd opt for something a couple/few years into the new style. I believe it was either '08 or '09 that got the new, bigger LS3 engine and new trans.

Either way, you'll be making a great choice. In my opinion, you can't go wrong with anything made after '89 or before '75.

Did you grit your teeth and try to look like Clint Fuckin' Eastwood?
    Or did you lisp it all hangfisted like a fuckin' flower?

If i had the cash, I would park some money in a c7 Grand Sport Manual, as one of the last great pure front engine vettes, because the C8 is dual clutch and mid engine, I think that GS is going to be the one that will go up in value. The Z06 were great but they tried to kill you at every chance they could. The GS nailed that is a great balanced sports car.

Saw a C8 last weekend and the owner loves it more than his mint C7...send it and go all in

I asked him about a C6 as a middle ground and he preferred the C5. He felt like it had better performance.

Last edited by breakdirt916; 09-13-21 at 12:43 PM.

One of the Corvette experts can weigh in but I'm pretty sure a C6 has a substantially better interior than a C5.

'02 Ducati 998, '08 Ducati HyperMotard 1100S, '14 Subaru XV Crosstrek

I assumed the C8 would be a bit out of his range as he was posting about C5's & C6's. The C7's are just pure sex in my book.

Did you grit your teeth and try to look like Clint Fuckin' Eastwood?
    Or did you lisp it all hangfisted like a fuckin' flower?

Hypertarded

Quote Originally Posted by Stoneman View Post
    I assumed the C8 would be a bit out of his range......
    2020 Corvette Convertible 2LT - $179,995 (Somerset)
    https://southcoast.craigslist.org/ct...376320858.html
    2020 Corvette Convertible 2LT Yellow with black interior. The car was delivered last week, it's awesome. I know the price is high, serious buyers only. Do not call, text or email to tell me the price is crazy.
    corvettes-00o0o_hmil0a6n7qa_0ci0t2_600x450-jpg

I think I might like the C7 better than the C8 still. Surprising because I LOVE mid/rear engined cars. They just missed on the new design IMO

Paul_E_D

Ls3 c6 would be my choice with a c5z right behind it.. but I guess it matters less if you're not going nuts with performance. Find your favorite color in your price range and enjoy.

Quote Originally Posted by number9 View Post
    One of the Corvette experts can weigh in but I'm pretty sure a C6 has a substantially better interior than a C5.
    what's your definition of better... lol kidding. is less creaky than the 5, but still not great GM quality. seats in a c6 are absolute garbage. like hot piles, dont even look at a corner with then as you will slide right out.

Last edited by jhawley; 09-13-21 at 04:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul_E_D View Post
    I think I might like the C7 better than the C8 still. Surprising because I LOVE mid/rear engined cars. They just missed on the new design IMO
    More importantly they missed the third pedal...

4 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by capitalcrew View Post
    Ls3 c6 would be my choice with a c5z right behind it.. but I guess it matters less if you're not going nuts with performance. Find your favorite color in your price range and enjoy.
    he said auto tranny, can you even get a z06 in auto?

Late here-

C5s have 3 roofs- the normal one is a targa, then the fixed roof coupe of the c5 z06 (there are a few base model c5 that are FRC but they are super rare) and a convertible

The c6 is an updated C5. Most of the underpinnings are the same, the suspension and stuff is almost identical. I think the z06 might be fixed as well, but the normal models are targa tops, and obviously there is a convertible.

The c6 gets a 6.0 in the early years and I think ‘08 and up gets the glorious 6.2 and an 8 speed auto. That was my target when I was shopping for them earlier this year. The 6.2 is a real gem.

As a personal note consider a manual. It changes the character of the car. And, have you thought about a Miata?

LRRS EX 151 AMSOIL

JCBernier -- You-tube

I've never been a huge fan of vettes, or really any American muscle car for that matter. Euro cars have always appealed to me due to the fit and finish, and overall looks. I was new car shopping a few months back and a friend suggested it was worth the time to check out the C8. No doubt that the car has progressed in terms of tech and F&F, and the mid-engine IMO was a great move. It is a lot of car for the money and I'll be interested in seeing the higher performance versions of this gen.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast