Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

corvettes

Re: corvettes

Quote Originally Posted by Not Sure View Post
    I've never been a huge fan of vettes, or really any American muscle car for that matter. Euro cars have always appealed to me due to the fit and finish, and overall looks. I was new car shopping a few months back and a friend suggested it was worth the time to check out the C8. No doubt that the car has progressed in terms of tech and F&F, and the mid-engine IMO was a great move. It is a lot of car for the money and I'll be interested in seeing the higher performance versions of this gen.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

I was new car shopping a few months back and a friend suggested it was worth the time to check out the C8.
    Would you mind sharing what cars you tested before pulling the trigger on your new set of wheels???

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by jhawley View Post
    The GS nailed that is a great balanced sports car.
    Truth. I had the pleasure of flogging one at Palmer once. I came away shocked at how far American Muscle has come overall. It was the real deal as far as I was concerned with plenty to offer for the street and held it's own for a fun track day.

I still think I'd buy something else if I had discretionary money for something like that, but it certainly would earn a spot on the list.

2012 Tiger 800 XC

Quote Originally Posted by xrocket21 View Post
    he said auto tranny, can you even get a z06 in auto?
    c7 supercharged Z06 and the halo ZR-1 both had an optional torque converter auto

although it may not have the pedigree as the vette, a 6th gen Camaro SS 1LE is one hell of sports car.

although it may not have the pedigree as the vette, a 6th gen Camaro SS 1LE is one hell of sports car.
    Ditto the Chevy SS, though they are holding their value frustratingly well

'02 Ducati 998, '08 Ducati HyperMotard 1100S, '14 Subaru XV Crosstrek

The SS is the modern E39 M5, dont get me started on those, when they were new I was at a chevy lexus dealer, And we could not GIVE away an SS, we had one hang around in the showroom for over a year and a half before it got sold. Now these damn things have made money if you were smart enough to buy one.

Quote Originally Posted by gumby View Post
    Would you mind sharing what cars you tested before pulling the trigger on your new set of wheels???
    Had quite the testing tour....

RS3, S5, RS5, M models, NSX, C8, 911 S, and GT 4. A couple of times I really thought about not returning to the dealerships!

4 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Borrowed my buds SS ( 6.2) for a weekend because he needed my truck and wow , his puts down 651 at the wheel running an Edelbrock E Force supercharger.
    Absolute insane torque

Had quite the testing tour....

RS3, S5, RS5, M models, NSX, C8, 911 S, and GT 4. A couple of times I really thought about not returning to the dealerships!
    My bud just traded in his 2020 M2 Competition ( just didn’t do it for him) for the RS5 (2020) I was in it yesterday and it’s a very nice ride, especially when he nailed that twin turbo
    corvettes-43bee68e-43c9-47db-9d06-d94a7b4eaeaay

The RS5 is a fantastic ride, I'm a big fan of it (very nice in white) - just wanted to try a different brand for a change as I had a few Audis in a row.

Went and kicked some tires Friday, 2010 Grand sport and 08 3lt options on base car. Both auto with paddles convertibles. Gota sell a 99 SLK 230 1st... but loved both cars... grand sport is very nice.. can live with the base car as its Blue!!!

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by zxme View Post
    My bud just traded in his 2020 M2 Competition ( just didn’t do it for him) for the RS5 (2020) I was in it yesterday and it’s a very nice ride, especially when he nailed that twin turbo
    corvettes-43bee68e-43c9-47db-9d06-d94a7b4eaeaay
    i havent driven either, but they say the m2 competition is a vicious, pure, M car made for the track, and the rs5 is good, but more of a GT. Is that what he was going for?

LRRS EX 151 AMSOIL

JCBernier -- You-tube

Had an A4 and then an R4 both nice cars . But hummmm there not Corvettes!!! Which is what this thread is suppose to be about!

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by maxim_X View Post
    i havent driven either, but they say the m2 competition is a vicious, pure, M car made for the track, and the rs5 is good, but more of a GT. Is that what he was going for?
    GT?

He had a stage 2 M2 ( 2017) for a few years and was an animal but the new M2 just wasn’t what he expected, he also had a 2017 C63S but for a daily he just wasn’t a fan.
    This time was an RS3 or RS5 and he wanted the bigger car and bigger motor I guess.
    He also has a fully built 700hp STI for fun

I’m looking at the SQ5 in Nardo gray myself

Quote Originally Posted by MUZ720 View Post
    One of my dream cars has always been a Vet. My other would be a 911.
    Kinda left the door open to other options here…

Quote Originally Posted by gumby View Post
    Kinda left the door open to other options here…
    Not really.

Lifer

My wife must of seen this thread because now she wants a Corvette. I'm gonna stick her in a cheap one to see how she likes it. I am positive it will be too long and low for her liking. 84 crossfire ftw.

Quote Originally Posted by boosten lebaron View Post
    My wife must of seen this thread because now she wants a Corvette. I'm gonna stick her in a cheap one to see how she likes it. I am positive it will be too long and low for her liking. 84 crossfire ftw.
    Don't do it. DON'T go with an '84. I have one for personal/emotional reasons, but it's a car I would NEVER suggest someone buy. The only exception would be if you know for a fact that every little factory flaw was meticulously and correctly fixed/upgraded, etc. Interior door panels, loose and/or missing interior clamps/screws/fasteners, window seals, etc. '84's had LOTS of interior quality control issues that were vastly upgraded by '86. If you find one with original paint, you've found a unicorn.

And beware the Z51, which most '84's were. While you get better brakes, stiffer supports, stiffer shocks, tighter steering and better cooling (oil & radiator), you'll likely be visiting your dentist regularly to have your fillings fixed. This was also remedied to a point in '85. It does however, give you incredible handling & braking. It's hard to believe a 35+ year old GM can handle & stop like it does.

Beware the tire/wheel set-up too. Some people royally fuck shit up by slapping aftermarket on 'em without doing a little research. It was an oddball year. The tires are the same front-to-rear, but the rear wheels are wider with more offset than the fronts. Lots of people really fucked up the front ends on '84's by not knowing. I believe in '85 they switched the set-up. But the '84's were an odd duck with that set-up. It may be fairly common nowadays, but it wasn't then.

In my opinion and if *I* was currently in the market for a less expensive C4, I'd start with the '86's but I'd set my sites for an '89. That's just me though.

Did you grit your teeth and try to look like Clint Fuckin' Eastwood?
    Or did you lisp it all hangfisted like a fuckin' flower?

Quote Originally Posted by zxme View Post
    GT?

He had a stage 2 M2 ( 2017) for a few years and was an animal but the new M2 just wasn’t what he expected, he also had a 2017 C63S but for a daily he just wasn’t a fan.
    This time was an RS3 or RS5 and he wanted the bigger car and bigger motor I guess.
    He also has a fully built 700hp STI for fun

I’m looking at the SQ5 in Nardo gray myself
    Yeah like a grand tourer. My wife has an sq5. It’s awesome. Way better than I expected. Hers is the older on with the SC motor and it’s fantastic.

LRRS EX 151 AMSOIL

JCBernier -- You-tube

Lifer

Quote Originally Posted by Stoneman View Post
    Don't do it. DON'T go with an '84. I have one for personal/emotional reasons, but it's a car I would NEVER suggest someone buy. The only exception would be if you know for a fact that every little factory flaw was meticulously and correctly fixed/upgraded, etc. Interior door panels, loose and/or missing interior clamps/screws/fasteners, window seals, etc. '84's had LOTS of interior quality control issues that were vastly upgraded by '86. If you find one with original paint, you've found a unicorn.

And beware the Z51, which most '84's were. While you get better brakes, stiffer supports, stiffer shocks, tighter steering and better cooling (oil & radiator), you'll likely be visiting your dentist regularly to have your fillings fixed. This was also remedied to a point in '85. It does however, give you incredible handling & braking. It's hard to believe a 35+ year old GM can handle & stop like it does.

Beware the tire/wheel set-up too. Some people royally fuck shit up by slapping aftermarket on 'em without doing a little research. It was an oddball year. The tires are the same front-to-rear, but the rear wheels are wider with more offset than the fronts. Lots of people really fucked up the front ends on '84's by not knowing. I believe in '85 they switched the set-up. But the '84's were an odd duck with that set-up. It may be fairly common nowadays, but it wasn't then.

In my opinion and if *I* was currently in the market for a less expensive C4, I'd start with the '86's but I'd set my sites for an '89. That's just me though.
    Thanks for the advise. I am aware of a few of the early corvettes faults but not most of the ones you mentioned. Normally i would stay away from such a car but my wife isnt really normal. She has a corvette in her head and it wont go away until she gets one. Problem is i know she wont like one once she gets it so rather than spend good money on a decent one i will spend less money on a cheap one. And its not the usual stuff she wont like such as ride quality and handling or even power. She is oblivious to such things. What will get her is the long hood and the difficulty parking among other things. Im pretty sure she will hate stepping into and out of the car as well.
    I know its kind of a weird way of buying but its what i need to do with her. Ive learned over the years that buying the best example rarely pays off with her. She will either crash it, not drive it or get so frustrated with it she gives it to her brother. I can almost never sell them if it doesnt work out. In fact i still have her mint Triumph spitfire sitting in storage for the last 10 years that she refuses to drive or sell. Just sits there, slowly dying. I would give my testicle to get rid of it but she wont budge on it.

Quote Originally Posted by e30addict View Post
    Truth. I had the pleasure of flogging one at Palmer once. I came away shocked at how far American Muscle has come overall. It was the real deal as far as I was concerned with plenty to offer for the street and held it's own for a fun track day.

I still think I'd buy something else if I had discretionary money for something like that, but it certainly would earn a spot on the list.
    Cayman is still the sweetest track car I’ve ever driven.

“When it comes to the kitchen, I have a narrow band of competency.”
    Master Mechanic Roger Barr in “Chasing Classic Cars.”

Quote Originally Posted by Garandman View Post
    Cayman is still the sweetest track car I’ve ever driven.
    I don't like the way the way P cars tend to push on turn in, but that overgrown VW is pretty balanced overall. I'll give it that. I expect the Germans to handle well though.

That Gran Sport was a brute that could turn and stop. Very visceral yet not just a straight line car. It made an impression.

- - - Updated - - -

In fact i still have her mint Triumph spitfire sitting in storage for the last 10 years that she refuses to drive or sell. Just sits there, slowly dying. I would give my testicle to get rid of it but she wont budge on it.
    How would she know if it went "missing"

2012 Tiger 800 XC

Thanks for the advise. I am aware of a few of the early corvettes faults but not most of the ones you mentioned. Normally i would stay away from such a car but my wife isnt really normal. She has a corvette in her head and it wont go away until she gets one. Problem is i know she wont like one once she gets it so rather than spend good money on a decent one i will spend less money on a cheap one. And its not the usual stuff she wont like such as ride quality and handling or even power. She is oblivious to such things. What will get her is the long hood and the difficulty parking among other things. Im pretty sure she will hate stepping into and out of the car as well.
    I know its kind of a weird way of buying but its what i need to do with her. Ive learned over the years that buying the best example rarely pays off with her. She will either crash it, not drive it or get so frustrated with it she gives it to her brother. I can almost never sell them if it doesnt work out. In fact i still have her mint Triumph spitfire sitting in storage for the last 10 years that she refuses to drive or sell. Just sits there, slowly dying. I would give my testicle to get rid of it but she wont budge on it.
    Hahaha! You'd know then what works for you! I feel your pain too.

A lot of what I'd offer is apparently moot. But I still say shoot for something a few years newer. Cost won't be that much more, but it's so worth it. *IF* it ever comes time to move it (yeah, I know. I heard ya), you likely wouldn't lose much at this point. On the other hand, if one of you ends up liking it, you have a decent Vette that won't constantly piss you off.

Side note: getting IN them isn't an issue. The getting out part is a bitch though.

Did you grit your teeth and try to look like Clint Fuckin' Eastwood?
    Or did you lisp it all hangfisted like a fuckin' flower?

Quote Originally Posted by e30addict View Post
    I don't like the way the way P cars tend to push on turn in, but that overgrown VW is pretty balanced overall. I'll give it that. I expect the Germans to handle well though.
    I feel like I remember something about P cars being engineered to understeer slightly on purpose. Tire size may have been how they did it. That was for street cars and to keep bankers wives from scaring themselves I'm assuming

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12