Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

corvettes

Re: corvettes

Quote Originally Posted by Stoneman View Post
    When Ford went to the Fox bodies with the Mustang, did you say they were no longer Mustangs? How about when they went retro? Did they once again become Mustangs or did you once again say they were no longer Mustangs? Do you not consider 1970 & up NOT Camaros? When Rams recently went far to look like a more conventional looking pick-up, did you no longer call them Rams? Etc., etc., etc...
    Nope, but did you consider a mustang 2 a mustang?

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    -Alex
    I can resist everything but Pete's mom.

Quote Originally Posted by MUZ720 View Post
    Is there any thread that stays on subject in this room?
    No, it's the NESR way.

Nothing
    Ever
    Stays
    Relevant

We really need a School Me On Focusing thread.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

To me, each generation has it's own very distinct look (taillight sizes/one headlight or two/flip-up or rotating headlights, etc) - C5's & C6's being the exception. The taillights & the flip-up/rotating headlights needed upgrading for sure, and I'm sure glad they did. It was getting old for sure.
    and I'll still take a '63 split rear window anyday

RandyO
    IBA#9560
    A man with a gun is a citizen
    A man without a gun is a subject

Quote Originally Posted by RandyO View Post
    There was only one year of the split window right? GM debated bringing it back for 2014.

Your park avenue leads to..

Quote Originally Posted by Gixxer View Post
    There was only one year of the split window right? GM debated bringing it back for 2014.
    I know a guy that has one in his garage, bought it brand new when he was 18, for something like $5,200, said he put a few miles on it the first few years, but for the past 50 years, goes out once a year if that, I don't think he has 50k on it

RandyO
    IBA#9560
    A man with a gun is a citizen
    A man without a gun is a subject

Quote Originally Posted by Gixxer View Post
    I know a guy that has one in his garage, bought it brand new when he was 18, for something like $5,200, said he put a few miles on it the first few years, but for the past 50 years, goes out once a year if that, I don't think he has 50k on it
    Correct. The split window was a one-year job - 1963. Many people removed the post going down the middle of the rear window as it really blocked the view.

Did you grit your teeth and try to look like Clint Fuckin' Eastwood?
    Or did you lisp it all hangfisted like a fuckin' flower?

Was there some purpose for it at the time, or just part of the design.

Quote Originally Posted by jimmycapp View Post
    Was there some purpose for it at the time, or just part of the design.
    Just design. At the time, most people hated it. My dad even removed the post on his when he bought his new. Wish he still had it though!

Just design. At the time, most people hated it. My dad even removed the post on his when he bought his new. Wish he still had it though!
    Uh, yeah. My dad bought a 55 Mercedes 190SL new. He fell asleep driving it and hit a telephone pole. If I had it now it would be worth 200kish. He replaced it with a ford falcon. (even that would be worth a pretty penny!)

Paul_E_D

Quote Originally Posted by Paul_E_D View Post
    Uh, yeah. My dad bought a 55 Mercedes 190SL new. He fell asleep driving it and hit a telephone pole. If I had it now it would be worth 200kish. He replaced it with a ford falcon. (even that would be worth a pretty penny!)
    My pops further butchered it by flaring the fenders, adding a spoiler & chin spoiler and dropping what was at the time a Daytona spec engine in it (the only engine available was the 327 in '63). It was basically a Grand Sport clone. He then raced the local circuit with it for a couple years and cleaned house.

If he had kept it and just left it alone! There was someone on Fleabay asking $500K for one recently. Not that he'll get that, but $250 - 300K for an unmolested specimen isn't out of the question, especially the FI 350HP version with A/C.

Lifer

Hahaha! You'd know then what works for you! I feel your pain too.

A lot of what I'd offer is apparently moot. But I still say shoot for something a few years newer. Cost won't be that much more, but it's so worth it. *IF* it ever comes time to move it (yeah, I know. I heard ya), you likely wouldn't lose much at this point. On the other hand, if one of you ends up liking it, you have a decent Vette that won't constantly piss you off.

Side note: getting IN them isn't an issue. The getting out part is a bitch though.
    It looks like im picking up an 86 vert today. Low mileage and came from a private corvette collection. Clean as can be and everything appears in good working order. I consider it to be really a good bargin for the asking price and im sure i can sell it for more next spring when my wife decides she doesnt want it.

3 Not allowed! Not allowed!

corvettes-0598273e-4f1e-4942-b7e3-050285ed2c34My bud just sold his 66 that he has had for about 30 years for 53k
    He said itís time to buy something else

I raced him in my 74 Z28 and walked him but my 350 had a great set of Dart heads and Comp 292 cam along with other go fast goodies.

Last edited by zxme; 11-07-21 at 08:42 AM.

Hypertarded

Tornado Damaged C8 Corvettes Have Been Destroyed
    https://www.motorious.com/articles/n...-c8-corvettes/
    corvettes-tornado-damaged-c8-corvettes-destroyed
    While the tornado which hit Bowling Green, Kentucky was a horrific event primarily because of the homes and livelihoods which were lost, we and many other enthusiasts mourned the loss of the rare and highly sought after C8 Corvettes damaged in the storm. Some were hoping GM would sell those mid-engine sports cars at a reduced price, kind of like when you go to a dent and scratch furniture store, but that was never in the cards.

Instead, GM has crushed all the damaged C8 Corvettes rather than have the potentially defective cars end up in consumersí hands. That might seem like an odd decision since people wreck Corvettes and they end up in salvage yards, then are fixed and sometimes not very well.

Quote Originally Posted by boosten lebaron View Post
    It looks like im picking up an 86 vert today. Low mileage and came from a private corvette collection. Clean as can be and everything appears in good working order. I consider it to be really a good bargin for the asking price and im sure i can sell it for more next spring when my wife decides she doesnt want it.
    I must have missed this. Pics? Car or wife, your choice...

Friend got the C8. “Base” model. A lot of car for $59,500. Dealer took $500 off. Took 13 months to come in but worth it. Parents had a 1969 350 when I was a kid. Always smile when I see one of those old stingrays. I remember the interior being a bit wet after a rain storm made its way through the T tops. Miss those days!

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    2013 ZX6R-636

Lifer

I must have missed this. Pics? Car or wife, your choice...
    I didnt get the car in the end. Guy got greedy and it cost him. I did my usual give a small $500 deposit, get bill of sale, take the title, register it, and come back for the car with the remainder of the cash. The problem was that while i was registering it the guy left the ad up and got a higher offer so he sold the actual car to another person and thought i would be ok with it and give him back the title to give to the other buyer. He was wrong and i was pissed. He then got upset that i wasnt reasonable enough to give him back the title which i no longer had anyway since i sent it off to the rmv and then tried to buy it off me but in a smarmy kind of way which i didnt like so i just left. He still calls demanding i give him the title but i never will. The guy that bought the actual car is taking the guy to court and still has the car. I just know i have the title and will never give it up. I could be nice and sell it to the new owner but he knew i had the title when he out priced me on the car so i blame him as well.
    Petty i know but i think this stops two shitbags from doing this type of stuff again and it only cost me about a grand and like 5 hours of travel time. I do get some sick bit of pleasure out of it though. Both guys are so scummy to deal with its easy to get them raging. I mean who sells a car to one person then sells it again to a different person and expects to have a win-win situation. And who buys a car knowing another person has already bought it legally and expects a win-win. I think my constant threats of having the car reported as stolen keeps everyone on edge too.

10 Not allowed! Not allowed!

I didnt get the car in the end. Guy got greedy and it cost him. I did my usual give a small $500 deposit, get bill of sale, take the title, register it, and come back for the car with the remainder of the cash. The problem was that while i was registering it the guy left the ad up and got a higher offer so he sold the actual car to another person and thought i would be ok with it and give him back the title to give to the other buyer. He was wrong and i was pissed. He then got upset that i wasnt reasonable enough to give him back the title which i no longer had anyway since i sent it off to the rmv and then tried to buy it off me but in a smarmy kind of way which i didnt like so i just left. He still calls demanding i give him the title but i never will. The guy that bought the actual car is taking the guy to court and still has the car. I just know i have the title and will never give it up. I could be nice and sell it to the new owner but he knew i had the title when he out priced me on the car so i blame him as well.
    Petty i know but i think this stops two shitbags from doing this type of stuff again and it only cost me about a grand and like 5 hours of travel time. I do get some sick bit of pleasure out of it though. Both guys are so scummy to deal with its easy to get them raging. I mean who sells a car to one person then sells it again to a different person and expects to have a win-win situation. And who buys a car knowing another person has already bought it legally and expects a win-win. I think my constant threats of having the car reported as stolen keeps everyone on edge too.
    I like your style! I guess we'll have to settle for pics of the wife then...

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!

I really do think you should report it stolen and get YOUR car back. You have all the paperwork; I would not take the hit of a G-note!

People actually sign over a title without getting paid in full first

3 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    2012 Tiger 800 XC

Quote Originally Posted by e30addict View Post
    People actually sign over a title without getting paid in full first
    Right? Power to him for making it work and having a power move now.

Never thought anybody would give me a title after deposit. The faith the person must have. I'm sure he's kicking himself now.

Quote Originally Posted by Vovchandr View Post
    Right? Power to him for making it work and having a power move now.

Never thought anybody would give me a title after deposit. The faith the person must have. I'm sure he's kicking himself now.
    Depending on what's on the bill of sale he very well could end "paying" $500 plus legal fees etc... for the car.

Both guys are so scummy to deal with its easy to get them raging. I mean who sells a car to one person then sells it again to a different person and expects to have a win-win situation. And who buys a car knowing another person has already bought it legally and expects a win-win. I think my constant threats of having the car reported as stolen keeps everyone on edge too.
    Props to you for squeezing them, but......

Quote Originally Posted by MUZ720 View Post
    I really do think you should report it stolen and get YOUR car back. You have all the paperwork; I would not take the hit of a G-note!
    This.

I'm sure it's fun toying with the two, but I'd also want some resolution/restitution one way or another at he end of the day, if for no other reason then liability. Someone else can be driving a vehicle (illegally) that's titled to you and can drag you into a shitshow if something happens. If I recall, there is FU money involved here and the lawyers could have field day over something petty.

Last edited by e30addict; 01-05-22 at 09:32 AM.
    2012 Tiger 800 XC

Lifer

i find it quite common to get the title after deposit. I dont think i have ever been told no. If i cant take the vehicle with me then its the only way i will buy the vehicle unless its from a dealership. No chance im going to leave a deposit and not have something to prove i now own said vehicle and a BOS alone does not cut it in court. Its how i sell things too. Im just really clear on the BOS that payment is waiting and the title was given as good faith measure, take pics of the signing etc. This is really the only time i have had a problem that i can think of and its not really a problem, just greed on the owners part. It wasnt even an expensive vette, $6500 and he was trying to sell it for weeks. I cant imagine the other buyer paid much more for it but i could see its max value be maybe 8k unless i missed something rare about the car which is possible i guess.

So when you guys leave or take a deposit with an individual you don't take anything with you? I used to always take all sets of keys at least but then people started offering me the title and i just stuck with it. I thought it was perfectly normal. I mean you cant even legally register and insure it without the title when you need new plates. Even attaching plates is a bit of a grey area depending on the situation. How are you expected to get it home? Again, seems perfectly normal to me. Take title, go register it, go back with full payment to complete the sale and drive away all nice and legal. Its best to do everything at once but in this case there was no way i could take the car with me. At any rate i am fairly positive that if i didnt take the title and only left a deposit i would be the one that lost, not the other two clowns. i doubt very much the old owner would have even answered the door when i came back to pick it up.

The grand lost is a bit annoying but its not much money to me and the hours of enjoyment i have had pitting these guys against each other is worth quite a bit to me. Plus i am making sure the other guys lose more. There are no winners here but someone will be having fun and that someone is me.

Lifer

Quote Originally Posted by e30addict View Post
    Depending on what's on the bill of sale he very well could end "paying" $500 plus legal fees etc... for the car.

Props to you for squeezing them, but......

This.

I'm sure it's fun toying with the two, but I'd also want some resolution/restitution one way or another at he end of the day, if for no other reason then liability. Someone else can be driving a vehicle (illegally) that's titled to you and can drag you into a shitshow if something happens. If I recall, there is FU money involved here and the lawyers could have field day over something petty.
    Im not worried about the car being driven. The guys lawyer had it put into storage since the new owner isnt the rightful owner and if he wants any chance of his money back the car cant be touched at all. Whats going to happen is the old owner will have to give the new owner his money back plus whatever fees and he will get the car back and i will hold the title still. Then he can come try to play with me again if he wants but he says he wont and will just part it out if it comes to that. Honestly i dont understand why he just doesnt give the new guy back his money and take the car back then cut out a third of the puzzle. He has a serious ego though and i dont think his mind works like that. It was a pain just to talk to him before i even bought the car. Always claiming the car is worth a lot more than his asking price and he should be asking more. It was like he was doing me a favor just by talking to me about the car. One of the last times i talked to he was having a melt down that even if he got the car and title back it wouldnt be worth it to him because it was now a two owner car and only poor people have used cars. His whole collection where cars he bought new or his dad did.

The title is the legal document of ownership. Bill of sale is for the transaction only. As a seller, I would never release the title until I was paid in full.

A deposit is a good faith gesture in my mind to hold the vehicle for an agreed amount of time.

As a buyer, I would either "swap" plates in the gray area, ask the seller if I could drive home on their plates or drag it onto my trailer. I've done them all depending on the situation.

Last car I sold to a private party, I was paid in full, signed over the title and gave the buyer the keys. Car was parked in my driveway in a way that didn't effect me and they went and did their thing with the RMV and came and got the car the next day.

2012 Tiger 800 XC

Something kinda similar happened to a friend of a friend. Left a deposit for a boat, went to change title, came back and the guys house was crawling with (insert LEO organization here but I think it was FBI. This was like 15 years ago). LEO in charged asked him what he wanted and he told him he was supposed to pick up his boat. Showed the title, hooked up the trailer and left.

And yeah, title exchanges with all the duckets. I don't think I'd go any other way on that.

Last edited by obsolete; 01-05-22 at 09:56 AM.
    -Alex
    I can resist everything but Pete's mom.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast