Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 27

New Couch Shopping (Dog Durable)

  1. #1
    is not wearing pants Point37's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    South Coast MAsshole
    Age
    40
    Posts
    2,404

    New Couch Shopping (Dog Durable)


    the new mattress thread prodded me to inquire here about a new couch...we currently have 2 couches in the house...1 is a loveseat from Bobs and the other is a 4 piece sectional from Bernie and Phyls set up in an 'L' shape in the corner of the room (use the short side of the L as a chaise)...both are some type of microfiber/microsuede...the sectional is the one i want to replace...our 65# and 80# pits love to lay on the backs of both couches so they can look out the window and sun themselves and i want them to be able to do that...the loveseat cushions extend over the back of the couch and the seam/stitching is on the back of the couch so this couch has held up great for being a cheap piece of furniture...while the sectional cushions stitch to the front part frame of the back of the couch, so they lay in the nook between the back of the cushion and the front part of the back of the couch and that seam has let go on 3 of the 4 backs of the sectional (the 3 they lay on)...also the pieces never had any way to hook together so they were constantly moving until i put some large zip ties around the legs to keep it together but these sometimes slide off the bottom which is annoying...so if anyone has any tips or ideas let me know...this is what i am looking for...

    --material sunbrella/distressed leather/microfiber/microsuede (not sure which is best)
    --cushions have to wrap over the top of the back of the couch and seam has to be in back
    --color dark brown for dogs
    --pieces must connect together

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    bike: none but i have a seafoam green 125cc scooter
    Point37s Garage Sale Thread

  2. #2
    Lifer Falko's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    MoonTown
    Posts
    5,130

    Re: New Couch Shopping (Dog Durable)

    Had the same experience over time. We had a 115# rotty that like to lay on teh back of the couch, seams in front of the back support, the front cushion eventually pulled away. We replaced that couch with a leather one, back cushion rolled up and over the back of the couch. Next sits with his front legs up and over the back of the couch, not full body, but he is only 70#. That leather couch held up for over 8 years, both the cushions and the seating surface. Easily cleaned and didn't seem to scratch that easily either. We just got rid of it about a year ago because it was a double recliner and the interior broke down and the seating surface sunk, not due to dog, just general use.
    It was replaced with a sunbrella type material couch (I didn't like the cold feel of the leather in our 7 month winters) and when I got it, I sprayed it down with scotch gaurd. It is holding up well, but the dog no longer gets on the back, he's old now. The treated surface holds up well to the dog but fur is an issue, no where as easy to clean as the leather.
    We also have a microfiber couch, little better with the fur as it doesn't seem to get laced in as much. But he isn't on it nearly as much either.
    So overall, leather is the way to go for pets.

    1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Dad's Dream: Earn enough money to live the life that his wife and kids do.

  3. #3
    is not wearing pants Point37's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    South Coast MAsshole
    Age
    40
    Posts
    2,404

    Re: New Couch Shopping (Dog Durable)

    Quote Originally Posted by Falko View Post
    Had the same experience over time. We had a 115# rotty that like to lay on teh back of the couch, seams in front of the back support, the front cushion eventually pulled away. We replaced that couch with a leather one, back cushion rolled up and over the back of the couch. Next sits with his front legs up and over the back of the couch, not full body, but he is only 70#. That leather couch held up for over 8 years, both the cushions and the seating surface. Easily cleaned and didn't seem to scratch that easily either. We just got rid of it about a year ago because it was a double recliner and the interior broke down and the seating surface sunk, not due to dog, just general use.
    It was replaced with a sunbrella type material couch (I didn't like the cold feel of the leather in our 7 month winters) and when I got it, I sprayed it down with scotch gaurd. It is holding up well, but the dog no longer gets on the back, he's old now. The treated surface holds up well to the dog but fur is an issue, no where as easy to clean as the leather.
    We also have a microfiber couch, little better with the fur as it doesn't seem to get laced in as much. But he isn't on it nearly as much either.
    So overall, leather is the way to go for pets.
    thanks that def helps...leather sounds good to me but my wife is always cold so she may not like it...sunbrella may be a good option cause our dogs have really short hair so it's not too bad...myself i would rather have the leather but we'll see what she has to say

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    bike: none but i have a seafoam green 125cc scooter
    Point37s Garage Sale Thread

  4. #4
    Development Rider scottieducati's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Waltham, MA
    Posts
    5,930

    Re: New Couch Shopping (Dog Durable)

    We are big fans of our microfiber. My dog is lab - springer mix, a mix of shorter (1/2") and longer (up to 2") fur. The fuzz gets everywhere, but you can basically brush it right off the microfiber with the right brush / your hand. Have had to clean up some drool spots he leaves and such, going on a year and a half now and we're still quite happy with it. Got it at Boston Interiors.

    1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

    CCS/LRRS #83

  5. #5
    is not wearing pants Point37's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    South Coast MAsshole
    Age
    40
    Posts
    2,404

    Re: New Couch Shopping (Dog Durable)

    Quote Originally Posted by scottieducati View Post
    We are big fans of our microfiber. My dog is lab - springer mix, a mix of shorter (1/2") and longer (up to 2") fur. The fuzz gets everywhere, but you can basically brush it right off the microfiber with the right brush / your hand. Have had to clean up some drool spots he leaves and such, going on a year and a half now and we're still quite happy with it. Got it at Boston Interiors.
    thanks...i'll keep that in mind

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    bike: none but i have a seafoam green 125cc scooter
    Point37s Garage Sale Thread

  6. #6
    Lifer gixxer72's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    The desert
    Posts
    2,241

    Re: New Couch Shopping (Dog Durable)

    Quote Originally Posted by Point37 View Post
    thanks that def helps...leather sounds good to me but my wife is always cold so she may not like it...sunbrella may be a good option cause our dogs have really short hair so it's not too bad...myself i would rather have the leather but we'll see what she has to say
    We had a gorgeous Natuzzi leather sofa, 1 mastiff killed it in less than two years. Killed it, to the fucking dump dead. Next up was a fabric set of nice sofas. 2 mastiffs had those fucked in a matter of months, climbing on the cushions/back and the drool...my current sectional is a cheap piece of shit from Big Lots. 3 months in and surviving (down to one dog also) Dogs are hard on furniture, big dogs are brutal. I'm going to stick with this cheap shit 'disposable ' furniture for a couple rounds.

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

  7. #7
    Lifer Falko's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    MoonTown
    Posts
    5,130

    Re: New Couch Shopping (Dog Durable)

    MAstiffs? Your furniture should consist of unfinished dimensional lumber and concrete blocks.

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Dad's Dream: Earn enough money to live the life that his wife and kids do.

  8. #8
    is not wearing pants Point37's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    South Coast MAsshole
    Age
    40
    Posts
    2,404

    Re: New Couch Shopping (Dog Durable)

    bobs furniture couch



    bernie and phyls couch




    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by Point37; 02-01-17 at 01:10 PM.
    bike: none but i have a seafoam green 125cc scooter
    Point37s Garage Sale Thread

  9. #9
    Lifer BostonSVkid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    North Reading (also known as the North Pole)
    Age
    39
    Posts
    2,137

    Re: New Couch Shopping (Dog Durable)

    We ended up with a Sactional because the entire couch is modular and we were able to modify it to ours needs and we can change it over time if we want. Also EVERY piece of the couch including the sides, backs, bases, cushions etc are removable and can be washed if you need to . Also under the micro suede covers are covers over the foam and cushions which are also water proofing. We love it and its very comfortable.

    Lovesac Sactionals | Sectional Sofas, Contemporary Furniture, Sectionals, Loveseats, and Sectional Couches

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    2006 Ducati Monster S2R800

  10. #10
    is not wearing pants Point37's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    South Coast MAsshole
    Age
    40
    Posts
    2,404

    Re: New Couch Shopping (Dog Durable)

    Quote Originally Posted by BostonSVkid View Post
    We ended up with a Sactional because the entire couch is modular and we were able to modify it to ours needs and we can change it over time if we want. Also EVERY piece of the couch including the sides, backs, bases, cushions etc are removable and can be washed if you need to . Also under the micro suede covers are covers over the foam and cushions which are also water proofing. We love it and its very comfortable.

    Lovesac Sactionals | Sectional Sofas, Contemporary Furniture, Sectionals, Loveseats, and Sectional Couches
    thanks...those look like a really nice design for being fully modular...the only issue i have is the pillows not being connected/built in...i want the dogs to still be able to lay on the backs of the couch and look out the windows...i want the pillows to be similar to the top photo i posted, built in and the horizontal seam is on the back of the couch

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    bike: none but i have a seafoam green 125cc scooter
    Point37s Garage Sale Thread

  11. #11
    Burns retinas nhbubba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Seacoast NH
    Posts
    17,449

    Re: New Couch Shopping (Dog Durable)

    Quote Originally Posted by BostonSVkid View Post
    We ended up with a Sactional because the entire couch is modular and we were able to modify it to ours needs and we can change it over time if we want. Also EVERY piece of the couch including the sides, backs, bases, cushions etc are removable and can be washed if you need to . Also under the micro suede covers are covers over the foam and cushions which are also water proofing. We love it and its very comfortable.

    Lovesac Sactionals | Sectional Sofas, Contemporary Furniture, Sectionals, Loveseats, and Sectional Couches
    How long you had that setup? Does it hold up?

    I inherited a modular sofa that is not linked together in any way and it is the biggest pain in the ass ever. Parts slide apart really easily on my hardwood floors.

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

  12. #12
    Angry Gumball RandyO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    Farmington, NH
    Age
    68
    Posts
    14,622

    Re: New Couch Shopping (Dog Durable)

    Quote Originally Posted by nhbubba View Post
    Parts slide apart really easily on my hardwood floors.
    tie wire

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    RandyO
    IBA#9560
    A man with a gun is a citizen
    A man without a gun is a subject

  13. #13
    Burns retinas nhbubba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Seacoast NH
    Posts
    17,449

    Re: New Couch Shopping (Dog Durable)

    They are not designed to be wired together. I could punch holes in the sides and fish wire through. But destroying the couch to solve this issue seems counterproductive.

    I mean, it's not even a 2WD couch.

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

  14. #14
    Angry Gumball RandyO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    Farmington, NH
    Age
    68
    Posts
    14,622

    Re: New Couch Shopping (Dog Durable)

    no, a loop of wire on the legs, no punching holes, and not visible on any sectional couch I've ever seen

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    RandyO
    IBA#9560
    A man with a gun is a citizen
    A man without a gun is a subject

  15. #15
    is not wearing pants Point37's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    South Coast MAsshole
    Age
    40
    Posts
    2,404

    Re: New Couch Shopping (Dog Durable)

    Quote Originally Posted by nhbubba View Post
    I inherited a modular sofa that is not linked together in any way and it is the biggest pain in the ass ever. Parts slide apart really easily on my hardwood floors.
    Quote Originally Posted by RandyO View Post
    no, a loop of wire on the legs, no punching holes, and not visible on any sectional couch I've ever seen
    +1...i put large zip ties around each of the adjacent sets of legs...the legs are plastic and cylinder shaped but the bottom 1/3 is rounded...my couch is on hardwood as well and the zip ties slide down and fall to the floor and the sections separate...it's a pain to slide them back up into place especially if they are in the back...my next sectional will be locking together somehow...not jerry rigging them anymore...i like that above locking system so i'll be trying to find something similar

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    bike: none but i have a seafoam green 125cc scooter
    Point37s Garage Sale Thread

  16. #16
    Grizzly Fuckin Adams dhuze's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    woonsocket ri
    Age
    54
    Posts
    5,179

    Re: New Couch Shopping (Dog Durable)

    I've had my step sons Pitbull and I thought he looked retarded sleeping on the back of my couch. Apparently this is no uncommon. He has managed to flatten out the thing and I also need a new couch. Mine has held up extremely well over the last 25 years I've had it. I got mine at Jordans in the mid 90's. I didn't use it that often when I first got it and it was only me then. I'm waiting for my step son to close on his house before I get the new couch.

    A note on cleaning dog/cat fur from your furniture. Use a window squeegee. It pulls most of the fur off and you can finish up with a vacuum.

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    You suck at life. Why don't you quit?

    My dad told me I could be anything I wanted when I grew up. So I became an Asshole.

  17. #17
    Day late, dollar short carsick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    2,991

    Re: New Couch Shopping (Dog Durable)

    Quote Originally Posted by nhbubba View Post
    Parts slide apart really easily on my hardwood floors.



    1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    99 + 02 SV650 ex-race - 91 FJ1200 street - 03 KDX220R woods - 12 WR450F motard/ice

  18. #18
    Angry Gumball RandyO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    Farmington, NH
    Age
    68
    Posts
    14,622

    Re: New Couch Shopping (Dog Durable)

    Quote Originally Posted by carsick View Post
    that looks like one of my replacement plumb bob tips

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    RandyO
    IBA#9560
    A man with a gun is a citizen
    A man without a gun is a subject

  19. #19
    is not wearing pants Point37's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    South Coast MAsshole
    Age
    40
    Posts
    2,404

    New Couch Shopping (Dog Durable)








    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

    1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by Point37; 02-02-17 at 05:11 PM.
    bike: none but i have a seafoam green 125cc scooter
    Point37s Garage Sale Thread

  20. #20
    Burns retinas nhbubba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Seacoast NH
    Posts
    17,449

    Re: New Couch Shopping (Dog Durable)

    Eyuh

    New Couch Shopping (Dog Durable)-img_1524-jpg

    1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

  21. #21
    Is this thing on? Mr. Kurtz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Hiram, ME
    Posts
    2,680

    Re: New Couch Shopping (Dog Durable)

    I should post a picture of my couch, with dog gates sitting on it. I'm trying to train Jodie's dog NOT to get up on the couch. You guys make me feel like a big ole meanie.

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

  22. #22
    Lifer BostonSVkid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    North Reading (also known as the North Pole)
    Age
    39
    Posts
    2,137

    Re: New Couch Shopping (Dog Durable)

    Not only do the pieces each have a U shaped clip that ties them together but there are feet on each piece and there are cover that lock the feet together so you have two tie in points for pretty much every piece. We love it only had it a couple months but my sister has had two sets for 2 years and they still look great.

    Quote Originally Posted by nhbubba View Post
    How long you had that setup? Does it hold up?

    I inherited a modular sofa that is not linked together in any way and it is the biggest pain in the ass ever. Parts slide apart really easily on my hardwood floors.

    1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    2006 Ducati Monster S2R800

  23. #23
    Grizzly Fuckin Adams dhuze's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    woonsocket ri
    Age
    54
    Posts
    5,179

    Re: New Couch Shopping (Dog Durable)

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Kurtz View Post
    I should post a picture of my couch, with dog gates sitting on it. I'm trying to train Jodie's dog NOT to get up on the couch. You guys make me feel like a big ole meanie.
    I'm like you, my wife encourages the dogs onto the couch. I say dogs stay on the floor. There are no less than 6 dog beds in the house yet the furniture seems to be more desireable.

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    You suck at life. Why don't you quit?

    My dad told me I could be anything I wanted when I grew up. So I became an Asshole.

  24. #24
    Burns retinas nhbubba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Seacoast NH
    Posts
    17,449

    Re: New Couch Shopping (Dog Durable)

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Kurtz View Post
    I should post a picture of my couch, with dog gates sitting on it. I'm trying to train Jodie's dog NOT to get up on the couch. You guys make me feel like a big ole meanie.
    I have a (really bad) counter surfer in my world nowadays. Makes dogs on couches and beds seem like no big deal.

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

  25. #25
    Dictionary quoting knob stoinkythepig's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Raymond NH
    Age
    55
    Posts
    4,660

    Re: New Couch Shopping (Dog Durable)


    1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •