Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Cutting the cable cord

Dic on

Cutting the cable cord

Looking for some local cord-cutting help.

I'm currently with xfinity and with bein sport gone, and motogp and championship soccer only available by stream I'm finding less and less need for cable.
    I watch mostly Amazon prime TV and Netflix. The only thing I use cable for is jeopardy and wheel of fortune (kids love them) and local news. I have zero need for the house phone number.

My questions are like this:

What speed do I really need? Nobody in the house online games. We use our phones on wifi and stream TV and maybe the kids stream YouTube at the same time.
    By my calculations, the fios $39.99 a month 300Mbit deal should be fine, right?

I'd like to buy my own router. Is that all I need? Any recommendations?

Finally, I assume I can get over-the-air TV if I wanted to keep my jeopardy and wheel of fortune and local news?

Any and all advice appreciated.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

0 Not allowed!
    "Too bad ponies are assholes."

OXX

Re: Cutting the cable cord

Other people have different setups, but this is what I use and it works for me.

100 meg internet through Cox $65 a month. Your $40 per month for 300 is a wet dream for me.
    $40 per month for YoutubeTV - not the best channel lineup, has FS1 and FS2, ESPN, ESPN2, NBC Sports, Golf Channel, ABC, CBS, NBC, Fox, but lacks things like Velocity and HGTV.
    Amazon Prime and Netflix
    Plex for any media I can't find on those sources. This is typically how I watch MotoGP races. Stream from PC to whatever TV.

I have an over the air antenna, but don't use it anymore since YoutubeTV has the local network channels.

1 Not allowed!

Dic on

100Mb, not 300Mb

0 Not allowed!

OXX

Either way, you'll be absolutely fine with that speed. I used to do a bunch of online gaming and had no problems with lag.

0 Not allowed!

Online gaming uses nothing for bandwidth. Most use well under a meg.

That being said, expect 4-8Mb/s per active streaming device for high def video, more if you are attempting 4k. Even with 100Mb, you are golden with 4 people in the house. Don't pay for more than you need. Just demand you get what you pay for.

tvfool.com will tell you if you can get the local channels you want, depending on location/antenna/etc. We don't have your address, so we can't tell you what channels you can expect to get in.

If your house isn't large, then any mainstream AC WiFi router will work fine, provided it is centrally located. Don't drop huge coin, it's almost always a gimmick. If it looks like a spaceship, it's a gimmick.

That being said, if your house is a bit larger, or you can't centrally locate the router, the Google Mesh system is easy to use and works decent. Other brands have come out with mesh systems as well, but I don't have any personal experience with them, so I can't recommend any in particular.

1 Not allowed!
    Last edited by TheIglu; 09-04-18 at 10:22 AM.
    -Clayton
    2006 Suzuki SV650
    2004 Suzuki Vstrom 650
    2001 Kawasaki ZRX1200R
    1982 Honda CB750F Super Sport

Anyone looked into hulu live. similar to youtube tv?

0 Not allowed!

i went from the comcast/xfinity bundle (phone/internet/cable tv)...to just xfinity blast internet 200mbps...installed a hd antenna in the attic for cbs/nbc/fox for news and nfl games, netgear nighthawk ac1900 router, sb6190 modem...have amazon firestick with a netflix subscription and a playstation vue subscription (the ps vue core package i have has espn and nfl network for the rest of the nfl games)...use kodi for movies sometimes if i feel like dealing with the aggravation of finding a good feed

more info here...
    Cutting the cord....

0 Not allowed!
    Last edited by Point37; 09-04-18 at 11:39 AM.
    bike: none but i have a seafoam green 125cc scooter
    Point37s Garage Sale Thread

I cut the cord on my Xfinity cable TV a few weeks back. Yesterday, I wanted to watch something on TV so I tried to go ahead and sign up for YouTube live. Not freaking available in my area! Signed up for fubo tv at 40/month, not impressed with that either (No nbc feed).
    The main reason I care is bruins games, so Nesn. Havenít tried hd antennas, for local stations; I live at the base of a mountain/cliff and even cell phone or tower based internet sucks here

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Imbeek View Post
    I cut the cord on my Xfinity cable TV a few weeks back. Yesterday, I wanted to watch something on TV so I tried to go ahead and sign up for YouTube live. Not freaking available in my area! Signed up for fubo tv at 40/month, not impressed with that either (No nbc feed).
    The main reason I care is bruins games, so Nesn. Haven’t tried hd antennas, for local stations; I live at the base of a mountain/cliff and even cell phone or tower based internet sucks here
    check out playstation vue core package has nbc and nesn but its $50/month i believe...i run it on my amazon firestick since my tv is older and not smart

0 Not allowed!
    Last edited by Point37; 09-04-18 at 11:40 AM.

I got an 8 bay digital antenna with amp for like $100 got 42 channels no rotor all major local networks

I do fear lack of net neutrality as I am sure xfinity will be throttling streaming service
    But if I am gone for a year I might get the introductory rate here

They have a monopoly up here so even just data is $80/ month

0 Not allowed!
    The calculus of hate

It is not that I should win it is that you should lose
    It is not that I succeed it is that you fail
    It is not that I should live it is that you should die

Quote Originally Posted by Stromper View Post

They have a monopoly up here so even just data is $80/ month
    same here...after the introductory rate is gone the price is stupid high

0 Not allowed!

Lifer

100mbps is arguably more than most people need. Should be good. If you do a lot of uploading of large content, like uploading videos or lots of pictures you may care a little more about upload speeds. But otherwise most packages usually have 'enough'.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheIglu View Post
    Online gaming uses nothing for bandwidth. Most use well under a meg.
    Mostly agreed, with the exception of the downloads themselves which are becoming increasingly huge. Playing the game typically uses very little bandwidth, but if the kids are frequently downloading different games, or massive accessory packs/downloadable extras that might be a factor.
    Quote Originally Posted by ilikenapalm View Post
    Either way, you'll be absolutely fine with that speed. I used to do a bunch of online gaming and had no problems with lag.
    Lag is more about ping than download speed. Common misconception. Secondary factor is performance bottlenecks on the computer.

0 Not allowed!
    02 Aprilia Futura
    86 GPz900R

Quote Originally Posted by aldend123 View Post
    100mbps is arguably more than most people need.
    arguably? ... that's hilarious. i "cut the cord" with 2.8Mbps max

we do YouTube, Kids YouTube, YouTube TV, Netflix, Amazon Video, Apple TV, NBC Sports Gold, etc. 100Mbps will rock the house!

0 Not allowed!
    Beta 250RR

Lifer

Quote Originally Posted by typeone View Post
    arguably? ... that's hilarious. i "cut the cord" with 2.8Mbps max
    There's always that one person who need 8 people to stream 4k round the clock.

I'd bet money they couldn't pass a blinded A-B test on it, but they're usually the type who 'need' whatever's new.
    Quote Originally Posted by typeone View Post
    we do YouTube, Kids YouTube, YouTube TV, Netflix, Amazon Video, Apple TV, NBC Sports Gold, etc. 100Mbps will rock the house!
    At 2.8mbps, that's pretty impressive though.

2 Not allowed!
    02 Aprilia Futura
    86 GPz900R

Quote Originally Posted by aldend123 View Post
    There's always that one person who need 8 people to stream 4k round the clock.

I'd bet money they couldn't pass a blinded A-B test on it, but they're usually the type who 'need' whatever's new.

At 2.8mbps, that's pretty impressive though.
    huge fan of the Googles mesh network setup. i mange 30+ devices on that shitty little pipe and we do just fine with me working all day (device priority is key) + the kids and wife sipping off it. amazing.

1 Not allowed!
    Beta 250RR

100mbps Fiios
    4 phones
    4 Tablets
    4 Amazon fire stick/fire TV
    Xbox one
    FulboTV (BeIn included) just updated service and interface is much better.

Works great, highly recommend Fun I TV, just killed my Playstation Vue.

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Degsy View Post
    I'd like to buy my own router. Is that all I need? Any recommendations?
    I went FIOS internet, Direct TV NOW for TV (for the free Apple TV), and Netgear Orbi for my router. The ORBI is a mesh network with a dedicated backhaul channel so speeds will remain high on your satellite nodes. You will be able to cover your entire house and garage with the Orbi.

Finally, I assume I can get over-the-air TV if I wanted to keep my jeopardy and wheel of fortune and local news?
    Get an HD tuner for local stuff if you don't care about the cable programming.
    Amazon.com: [2018 Latest] Amplified HD Digital TV Antenna Long 65-80 Miles Range – Support 4K 1080p & All Older TV's Indoor Powerful HDTV Amplifier Signal Booster - 18ft Coax Cable/USB Power Adapter: Electronics

If you have FIOS do the install, make sure they run/activate RJ45 on the ONT... This is very important otherwise you will be tied to their garbage router. After that, setting up your own router is trivial

1 Not allowed!
    1995 Honda RVF400
    2003 SV650 Superbike ...eat a dick Scottie
    2007 Ducati S2R1000

I got my own router and modem on Prime Day. It was under $100 total. After 2 years with Comcast, it cost me over $200 in rental fees just for the hardware.

I live alone and I went with 300mbs, I use my mobile phone for wi-fi and it's either the TV (with an unlocked FireTV) or PC gaming; rarely if ever both at the same time.

I read Consumer Reports and picked the highest rated digital antenna (if you don't live near a city it's best to get an amplified one) so I can get basic channels.

My monthly bill was over $180 and then I canceled HBO and Starz and it only went to $160 and I said fuck this. I don't really watch cable unless it's hockey or some World Endurance Race.

1 Not allowed!
    Too many bikes to list
    http://oneguytwowheels.blogspot.com/
    Mosdt likely drunkd

What speed do I really need?
    What do you "need" to support what you have described?? You stated 300Mbit (Mbps) which is roughly 37.5 MBps; megagbits vs megabytes. Either way, you are covered for the usage you have described. I have > 35 internet connected devices in my home running over a 50MBps connection (FiOS); 4 iPads streaming, TV's steaming, XBox, Thermostats, Lights, etc. (we have no cable; have not for many years). Many times your real bottleneck at home is your networking equipment; wireless/wired router. Most consumer (not prosumer) grade wireless routers suck; period. Anyway, you should be good.

1 Not allowed!
    Last edited by yucatan; 09-08-18 at 03:16 PM. Reason: Spelling
    Current: 2012 FZ1, 2008 WR250X
    Previous: 2002 YZF-600R, 2006 DL1000, 2011 GSX-R 750, 2009 FZ1, 2008 1098, 2007 VFR800, 2013 DRZ, 2014 1190 Adventure, 2016 Africa Twin

Saw an add for Frontier they say they now can get 18 mps and 150 channels for $75

I was wondering but the dreaded up to 18

0 Not allowed!
    The calculus of hate

It is not that I should win it is that you should lose
    It is not that I succeed it is that you fail
    It is not that I should live it is that you should die

Dic on

Quote Originally Posted by yucatan View Post
    What do you "need" to support what you have described?? You stated 300Mbit (Mbps) which is roughly 37.5 MBps; megagbits vs megabytes. Either way, you are covered for the usage you have described. I have > 35 internet connected devices in my home running over a 50MBps connection (FiOS); 4 iPads streaming, TV's steaming, XBox, Thermostats, Lights, etc. (we have no cable; have not for many years). Many times your real bottleneck at home is your networking equipment; wireless/wired router. Most consumer (not prosumer) grade wireless routers suck; period. Anyway, you should be good.
    Thanks. that's reassuring. Anyone have a recommendation for a good router. I'm going from xfinity to fios. Will I need a cable box and a router, just a router or what?

thanks

0 Not allowed!

OXX

Dic on

Take a look at the left side of my screen and take a look at the chat box on the right.

Goodbye comcast. Hello FIOS.

So, any recommendations on routers? Not sure I wanna spend 300 for the Orbi

0 Not allowed!

OXX

Take this with a grain of salt, I'm no networking/IT/computer guru, but it looks like you have similar needs to what I'm doing. Anyway, I had an older Verizon combo router laying around, this red/black one Google Image Result for https://vrzn.i.lithium.com/t5/image/serverpage/image-id/16536i0570E66544C5D6CE?v=1.0 , and after a little googling it seems like it has a pretty good reputation among the IT nerds out there? So, I'm using that as a wired access point only, it's located in our family room and serves the TV, 1st gen Fire TV (which has an ethernet input on the back), BluRay player. The last LAN line off the Verizon combo doohickey I run to the center of my house and plug it into a Google Wifi router for our wireless signal. This provides wireless connectivity for our laptops, phones, printer, other handheld junk and our TV and Firestick in the bedroom. I have almost zero complaints, another Google Wifi router on the 2nd floor and in the basement would be pimp, but, c'est la vie.

Edit: And I'm doing that same $39 Verizon deal, totally adequate for our demands which seem on par with what you're describing.

0 Not allowed!
    Last edited by jeantarrou; 09-25-18 at 07:51 PM.
    Hyper