Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Cutting the cable cord

Re: Cutting the cable cord

jealous as fuck of you guys

I cut the cord 2 years ago, but our only option is satellite internet.

$100/mo for like 30 MB connection I think

50 gig data cap, and shit speeds

we can stream youtube and amazon okay ish, you just let it buffer a bit.

Never got Netflix due to our poor connection.

Id LOVE to get a hardline someday...

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by xrocket21 View Post
    jealous as fuck of you guys

I cut the cord 2 years ago, but our only option is satellite internet.

$100/mo for like 30 MB connection I think

50 gig data cap, and shit speeds

we can stream youtube and amazon okay ish, you just let it buffer a bit.

Never got Netflix due to our poor connection.

Id LOVE to get a hardline someday...
    But, you live in Vacationland!!??

0 Not allowed!
    Hyper

Quote Originally Posted by theducman View Post
    Ditched the direct tv we had.
    How long ago, have they sent the recovery package ?

When I dropped Direct tv, I had to call em at least 4 times, took em 3 months to send me the recovery package which they continued to bill me even though I wasn't using it, I refuse to pay, (luckily I wasn't on an automatic withdraw) and now they have reported me to the credit bureau and I have had to file a dispute

0 Not allowed!
    RandyO
    IBA#9560
    A man with a gun is a citizen
    A man without a gun is a subject

Quote Originally Posted by jeantarrou View Post
    But, you live in Vacationland!!??
    Yeah, im like 20 miles from the state capitol, road isn't paved, no cable tv, no hardline internet, essentially no cellphone reception (some ability to make calls with a $400 repeater, but no data), but we have electricity and water!

0 Not allowed!

Lifer

Quote Originally Posted by Degsy View Post
    Take a look at the left side of my screen and take a look at the chat box on the right.

If I remember right, the fine print on that offer says that the price is subject to availability in certain markets. The read-between-the-lines version is 'we only offer such a great price in the few markets with actual competition. Everyone else pays much more'.

0 Not allowed!
    02 Aprilia Futura
    86 GPz900R

Quote Originally Posted by aldend123 View Post
    If I remember right, the fine print on that offer says that the price is subject to availability in certain markets. The read-between-the-lines version is 'we only offer such a great price in the few markets with actual competition. Everyone else pays much more'.
    fuccckkkkk Comcast with a rusty pipe

Verizon too

0 Not allowed!

Dic on

Nope. That's not it. I just put my address in. Their incompetent cancellation aversion team just dropped the ball.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

2 Not allowed!
    "Too bad ponies are assholes."

OXX

^ It's my bike and my car tls25rs's Avatar

Oooooo, now we all know where Degsy lives.......

0 Not allowed!

Lifer

I just looked, using a neighboring address. I see a similar but slightly different site. It shows the same $39.99/mo for Performance at 60mbps. Except the details say it's a new customer only deal, and temporary.

"Offer ends 10/28/18. Restrictions apply. Not available in all areas. New residential customers only. Limited to Performance Internet service. Equipment, installation, taxes and fees, and other applicable charges extra, and subject to change during and after the promo. After promo, or if any service is cancelled or downgraded, regular rates apply. Comcast's monthly service charge for Performance Internet is $74.95 (subject to change). (........)"

I'm not saying they couldn't/wouldn't give you a lower price. Just that the site usually shows lower prices that aren't really supposed to be available to most people by default.

0 Not allowed!
    02 Aprilia Futura
    86 GPz900R

I just looked, using a neighboring address. I see a similar but slightly different site. It shows the same $39.99/mo for Performance at 60mbps. Except the details say it's a new customer only deal, and temporary.

"Offer ends 10/28/18. Restrictions apply. Not available in all areas. New residential customers only. Limited to Performance Internet service. Equipment, installation, taxes and fees, and other applicable charges extra, and subject to change during and after the promo. After promo, or if any service is cancelled or downgraded, regular rates apply. Comcast's monthly service charge for Performance Internet is $74.95 (subject to change). (........)"

I'm not saying they couldn't/wouldn't give you a lower price. Just that the site usually shows lower prices that aren't really supposed to be available to most people by default.
    yea with comcast you have to enter a neighbors address who doesn't have cable service to see the new customer prices...cause usually right away they ask you to sign into your account cause if you're an existing customer you'd see the inflated BS price

0 Not allowed!
    bike: none but i have a seafoam green 125cc scooter
    Point37s Garage Sale Thread

Dic on

Quote Originally Posted by Point37 View Post
    yea with comcast you have to enter a neighbors address who doesn't have cable service to see the new customer prices...cause usually right away they ask you to sign into your account cause if you're an existing customer you'd see the inflated BS price
    See my post above. Existing customer (up to yesterday) my real address, $39.99.
    Talk to comcast sales and they tell me its $59.99 and they say that's the best price anyone gets.

0 Not allowed!

OXX

Quote Originally Posted by Degsy View Post
    Take a look at the left side of my screen and take a look at the chat box on the right.

Goodbye comcast. Hello FIOS.

So, any recommendations on routers? Not sure I wanna spend 300 for the Orbi

Amazon.com: Asus Dual-Band WiFi Mesh Router (AC1750) with 1GHz CPU Technology for speeds up to 1750Mpbs with AiProtection Network Security, Parental Control and Supports AiMesh (RT-AC66U B1): Computers & Accessories

Had great experience with this

1 Not allowed!
    1995 Honda RVF400
    2003 SV650 Superbike ...eat a dick Scottie
    2007 Ducati S2R1000

Dic on

just bought that one. thanks

0 Not allowed!

OXX

Hi, Degsy,

I'm a cable Tech. 100MB should be fine streaming anything you want. That being said, you need to ensure you have at least a dual band router so that your streaming devices can take advantage of the higher data transfer rate of your 5G network/s. I suggest placing phones, and computers on the 2G network so they don't bog down the 5G. Any video game systems your kids may have, I suggest hardwiring into the router if possible. 100MB is plenty of bandwidth but devices need to be managed on your network appropriately to avoid latency issues.

1 Not allowed!

Dic on

Quote Originally Posted by dasnoopsta View Post
    Hi, Degsy,

I'm a cable Tech. 100MB should be fine streaming anything you want. That being said, you need to ensure you have at least a dual band router so that your streaming devices can take advantage of the higher data transfer rate of your 5G network/s. I suggest placing phones, and computers on the 2G network so they don't bog down the 5G. Any video game systems your kids may have, I suggest hardwiring into the router if possible. 100MB is plenty of bandwidth but devices need to be managed on your network appropriately to avoid latency issues.
    Thanks. That's all great advice. Router and Verizon Modem are arriving tomorrow. I might be back here with more questions for you if that's ok.
    Don't need to have the kids gaming systems hardwired as we don't let them play online.

Derek

0 Not allowed!

OXX

Dic on

Another question for the collective masses. I went to set up the Verizon service yesterday and in my research I found out that I wont need to buy a cable modem if I just take ethernet directly from the ONT (box outside the house on the wall). When I switched to comcast a couple of years ago it looks like the comcast tech just cut the coax under the verizon box and connected it to his comcast box. I can reconnect that and buy a cable modem and have FIOS internet that way.

My question is will ethernet direct from the ONT to a router be better in any way than coax to a cable modem (which I'll have to buy) and then connect my router to the cable modem.

If it is better, do I just call verizon to come and connect the catV and route it to my router? I get "free installation" but because I'm using my own router they expect me to do my own setup. Not sure if they will come and put the catV in for me.

Anyone?

0 Not allowed!

OXX

It your verizon service FIOS?

0 Not allowed!
    -Clayton
    2006 Suzuki SV650
    2004 Suzuki Vstrom 650
    2001 Kawasaki ZRX1200R
    1982 Honda CB750F Super Sport

Dic on

Quote Originally Posted by TheIglu View Post
    It your verizon service FIOS?
    Yes

0 Not allowed!

OXX

For my FIOS setup I have Ethernet straight from the ONT to my gateway/edge.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

0 Not allowed!
    2003 ZX7R
    1995 916

Dic on

Quote Originally Posted by LuvDog View Post
    For my FIOS setup I have Ethernet straight from the ONT to my gateway/edge.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I'm certainly no expert but I would think theres something to be gained by cutting out all coax from the loop, right?

0 Not allowed!

OXX

FIOS does not need COAX. Just get the Ethernet straight from the termination point and plug that fucker into your new wireless router. Done.

0 Not allowed!
    -Clayton
    2006 Suzuki SV650
    2004 Suzuki Vstrom 650
    2001 Kawasaki ZRX1200R
    1982 Honda CB750F Super Sport

Dic on

Cool. Will do.
    I'm gonna try to get Verizon to send a tech to run the cable. That way I'll make sure he makes the phone call to get the ethernet enabled.

0 Not allowed!

OXX

It may be a bit different up in our neck of the woods. But it usually doesn't take much to get a tech (from just about any utility) to help us out with any "above the call" installs or set-ups. We finally got fiber optic video & interwebz up our way, wireless except what comes into the house. I was amazed at the stuff they helped out with when they had absolutely no obligation to take it to that level.

0 Not allowed!
    Did you grit your teeth and try to look like Clint Fuckin' Eastwood?
    Or did you lisp it all hangfisted like a fuckin' flower?

Dic on

Quote Originally Posted by Stoneman View Post
    It may be a bit different up in our neck of the woods. But it usually doesn't take much to get a tech (from just about any utility) to help us out with any "above the call" installs or set-ups. We finally got fiber optic video & interwebz up our way, wireless except what comes into the house. I was amazed at the stuff they helped out with when they had absolutely no obligation to take it to that level.
    The guy came put and did the work for us. Super chill dude. Routed cable and catV to my new router for me. He also tested the wi-fi around the house with his cool wifi-o-meter. All is good.

Now, I went with Directv now for my TV streaming service and I'm not happy. I'm in the 7 day trial period still and will likely cancel. They have our perfect channel lineup but their app is very slow and they only allow 2 devices to be active at once without an up charge.

Youtubetv looks good but it doesnt have Nickelodeon or nickjr which my kids love to watch. The research continues.

Suggestions for streaming service that fits my bill?

1. Local (boston) news stations (YouTube TV only carrie's providence news for my location, which is fucking stupid)
    2. Premier league soccer (nbc sports)
    3. Whatever channel jeopardy is on.
    4. History channel
    5. FX
    6. BBC America
    7. The ability to stream on 3 devices at the same time.

0 Not allowed!

OXX

So the only qualm I had about cancelling cable was sports.

I found a couple Reddit sections that post links to streams of the NFL and NHL. I just use the browser on the fire TV and go to them and bam HD sports. There is a slight delay because it's routed through someone's refrigerator or toaster but it's free so I'm fine with it

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

0 Not allowed!
    Too many bikes to list
    http://oneguytwowheels.blogspot.com/
    Mosdt likely drunkd

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12