Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213 LastLast
Results 251 to 275 of 314

Cutting the cord....

  1. #251
    Expert Agitator GearHd6's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Ashford, CT
    Posts
    935

    Re: Cutting the cord....


    Quote Originally Posted by tsorfas View Post
    Do some of you really donít realize that between your 6+ subscriptions you pay way more than cable was?
    That's very true and it's easy to get caught up into adding every app you'd ever want. You really need to keep it simple. I have YouTube TV and pay $4.99 for the Motortrend, app. I was paying $140 for Directv.

    0 Not allowed!
    Jeff

  2. #252
    Lifer tsorfas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    in my own little world...
    Posts
    9,888

    Re: Cutting the cord....

    And in your example that makes sense. But those with YTTV, Prime video, Netflix, Hulu, sling TV, an antenna and a few subscriptions what are you trying to do?

    0 Not allowed!

  3. #253
    Kosher Assassin Stoneman's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2001
    Location
    Center Barnstead, NH
    Posts
    1,124,351

    Re: Cutting the cord....

    Quote Originally Posted by tsorfas View Post
    Do some of you really donít realize that between your 6+ subscriptions you pay way more than cable was?
    Currently paying $130 for a loaded fiber optic package, just to get that ONE extra channel I REALLY want (NESN).

    $15.99 for Netflix + $50-ish for one streaming service (and MAYBE $11.99 for You Tube Premium) = $66.00-ish (maybe $78.00-ish).

    I dunno about you, but I'm seeing a decent savings there.

    0 Not allowed!
    Did you grit your teeth and try to look like Clint Fuckin' Eastwood?
    Or did you lisp it all hangfisted like a fuckin' flower?

  4. #254
    Burns retinas nhbubba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Seacoast NH
    Posts
    16,121

    Re: Cutting the cord....

    I'd pay extra not to use comcast.
    Especially if you take out the commercials.

    Unfortunately I still give them ~$50/mo for internet service. They are the only game in town.

    0 Not allowed!

  5. #255
    Super Moderator TheIglu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Royalston, MA
    Age
    39
    Posts
    19,836

    Re: Cutting the cord....

    Quote Originally Posted by TIMMYDUCK View Post
    Nothing free about it , except to the people I give it to .

    We are a completely legal Company .

    Guess you don't know everything .

    No illegal company gets into the App Store or Google play without it .

    We currently have 5 platforms running .

    The reasons that I can't disclose more in a public forum, is really not your concern .

    So again, any good standing member is welcome to enjoy a guide on me .

    Peace.
    Yup, still sounds fishy.

    Lulz about Apple and Google only allowing legit apps.

    I don't know everything. I'm still surprised on a regular basis at my job with new "free" movie and TV apps kids and teachers find that I have to block because they are ILLEGAL. They all think it's perfectly fine.

    Here's what I do know. It's an app, requires a "license" to use, and only has two reviews on the Apple app store. The Android side has a few more, most of which talk about FREE TV.

    Feel free to PM me details about how this works. If it's on the up and up, I'll say so here but won't divulge details you want kept private. Otherwise, I'm still calling it like I see it.

    0 Not allowed!
    -Clayton
    2006 Suzuki SV650
    2004 Suzuki Vstrom 650
    2001 Kawasaki ZRX1200R
    2000 Honda CBR929RR
    1982 Honda CB750F Super Sport

  6. #256
    Lifer loudbeard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Rehoboth MA
    Age
    36
    Posts
    3,834

    Re: Cutting the cord....

    Quote Originally Posted by tsorfas View Post
    And in your example that makes sense. But those with YTTV, Prime video, Netflix, Hulu, sling TV, an antenna and a few subscriptions what are you trying to do?
    Before cutting the cord:
    Internet: $80
    DirecTV: $140

    After cutting the cord:
    Internet: $80
    YTTV: $50
    HBOGO: $15
    Noggin: $7

    Not sure my math is the problem? Yes, we also have Netflix and Prime....but we had those services with DirecTV as well and will continue to do so with whoever our primary TV provider is. Super woke point though

    1 Not allowed!
    I went to MMI I know what Im doing here chief

  7. #257
    Senior Member marshdrummer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Southington, CT
    Age
    46
    Posts
    376

    Re: Cutting the cord....

    Quote Originally Posted by tsorfas View Post
    Do some of you really donít realize that between your 6+ subscriptions you pay way more than cable was?
    It's not the actual cost of the programming itself....It you take only that into account, the cost is close...and honestly, I would rather pay an extra $10-$15 a month for cable....it's the added fees...rent this modem (which I own), rent the cable box for this to work, rent the remote that you NEED to work with the box, then add this service fees, etc. The cost jumps from an extra $15 to an extra $40....

    0 Not allowed!

  8. #258
    Lifer loudbeard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Rehoboth MA
    Age
    36
    Posts
    3,834

    Re: Cutting the cord....

    Quote Originally Posted by marshdrummer View Post
    That's not correct.
    Quote Originally Posted by gixxer72 View Post
    Not true.
    OK, fair enough. I'm 2 seasons removed from BeIN coverage, glad it has improved. Might have another look at Fubo now, it was March 2018 when I made the switch and compared all of the offerings from all of the providers (there was a spreadsheet.)

    PSA: please ignore my outdated criticism of GP racing covered on BeIN.

    0 Not allowed!
    I went to MMI I know what Im doing here chief

  9. #259
    Kosher Assassin Stoneman's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2001
    Location
    Center Barnstead, NH
    Posts
    1,124,351

    Re: Cutting the cord....

    Quote Originally Posted by loudbeard View Post
    OK, fair enough. I'm 2 seasons removed from BeIN coverage, glad it has improved. Might have another look at Fubo now, it was March 2018 when I made the switch and compared all of the offerings from all of the providers (there was a spreadsheet.)
    Was it you who posted said spreadsheeet? I seem to vaguely remember something like that.

    0 Not allowed!
    Did you grit your teeth and try to look like Clint Fuckin' Eastwood?
    Or did you lisp it all hangfisted like a fuckin' flower?

  10. #260
    Lifer loudbeard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Rehoboth MA
    Age
    36
    Posts
    3,834

    Re: Cutting the cord....

    Quote Originally Posted by Stoneman View Post
    Was it you who posted said spreadsheeet? I seem to vaguely remember something like that.
    https://drive.google.com/open?id=1L7...NYfpEm6Nz8GFm1

    Yessir, that was the "$40 TV" sheet. That said, very outdated at this point. One of my biggest points was I didn't want to use an antenna for local stuff, I want all of my content on one device (Roku Ultra) so even switching sources on the TV was a deal breaker for me. I am an American and I'm not to be inconvenienced.

    0 Not allowed!
    I went to MMI I know what Im doing here chief

  11. #261
    Kosher Assassin Stoneman's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2001
    Location
    Center Barnstead, NH
    Posts
    1,124,351

    Re: Cutting the cord....

    Quote Originally Posted by loudbeard View Post
    https://drive.google.com/open?id=1L7...NYfpEm6Nz8GFm1

    Yessir, that was the "$40 TV" sheet. That said, very outdated at this point. One of my biggest points was I didn't want to use an antenna for local stuff, I want all of my content on one device (Roku Ultra) so even switching sources on the TV was a deal breaker for me. I am an American and I'm not to be inconvenienced.

    0 Not allowed!
    Did you grit your teeth and try to look like Clint Fuckin' Eastwood?
    Or did you lisp it all hangfisted like a fuckin' flower?

  12. #262
    Lifer tsorfas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    in my own little world...
    Posts
    9,888

    Re: Cutting the cord....

    Quote Originally Posted by loudbeard View Post
    Before cutting the cord:
    Internet: $80
    DirecTV: $140

    After cutting the cord:
    Internet: $80
    YTTV: $50
    HBOGO: $15
    Noggin: $7

    Not sure my math is the problem? Yes, we also have Netflix and Prime....but we had those services with DirecTV as well and will continue to do so with whoever our primary TV provider is. Super woke point though
    I wouldn’t factor internet when calculating costs (although some providers do give you cheaper internet when you bundle).

    In your case you must really love TV. 5 subscriptions is a lot of TV in my opinion but each of us has different needs/desires.

    0 Not allowed!

  13. #263
    Lifer loudbeard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Rehoboth MA
    Age
    36
    Posts
    3,834

    Re: Cutting the cord....

    Yeah the price is the same...so not a factor...I suppose I could have itemized it differently.

    But no, I don't really love TV, I watch between 30-60 minutes a day not including the weekends GP racing is on. Basically on most week nights we watch either a 30 minute episode or a 60 minute episode of one of the series we follow. There are a number of series on Netflix we love and they continue developing good new content. There are a number of series on HBO we love and they continue developing good new content. We have Prime TV, but almost never watch it, it's a byproduct on already having Amazon Prime, about the only thing I use it for is movie rental which is rare.

    0 Not allowed!
    I went to MMI I know what Im doing here chief

  14. #264
    Kosher Assassin Stoneman's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2001
    Location
    Center Barnstead, NH
    Posts
    1,124,351

    Re: Cutting the cord....

    Quote Originally Posted by Stoneman View Post
    Currently paying $130 for a loaded fiber optic package, just to get that ONE extra channel I REALLY want (NESN).

    $15.99 for Netflix + $50-ish for one streaming service (and MAYBE $11.99 for You Tube Premium) = $66.00-ish (maybe $78.00-ish).

    I dunno about you, but I'm seeing a decent savings there.
    We MAY look into bumping up our speeds too, which would add an additional $30 or so. Still under what we're currently paying.

    0 Not allowed!
    Did you grit your teeth and try to look like Clint Fuckin' Eastwood?
    Or did you lisp it all hangfisted like a fuckin' flower?

  15. #265
    is not wearing pants Point37's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    South Coast MAsshole
    Age
    38
    Posts
    2,116

    Re: Cutting the cord....

    this is what i'm paying now...i could probably cut playstation vue as well once the football season is over or at least downgrade the package but i never do...

    xfinity blast internet 200mbps $95 (ripoff price, would like to knock this down but i don't want to spend time fighting on the phone with a retention specialist since there is no other cable service in town)
    netflix $13
    playstation vue core package $55
    hd antenna

    0 Not allowed!
    Last edited by Point37; 11-07-19 at 03:53 PM.
    bike: none but i have a seafoam green 125cc scooter
    Point37s Garage Sale Thread

  16. #266
    Angry Gumball RandyO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    Farmington, NH
    Age
    67
    Posts
    13,101

    Re: Cutting the cord....

    Quote Originally Posted by Stoneman View Post
    We MAY look into bumping up our speeds too, which would add an additional $30 or so. Still under what we're currently paying.
    I'm thinking of cutting back to save $30 or so, I currently have a commercial account, and no longer need the upload speed (although today, I did upload a 100 mb file) it is rare, and only cause Ashley(former employee who still does my CADD work) fergot to bring a usb stick when he stopped at my house yesterday

    0 Not allowed!
    RandyO
    IBA#9560
    A man with a gun is a citizen
    A man without a gun is a subject

  17. #267
    Super Moderator TheIglu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Royalston, MA
    Age
    39
    Posts
    19,836

    Re: Cutting the cord....

    Quote Originally Posted by Stoneman View Post
    We MAY look into bumping up our speeds too, which would add an additional $30 or so. Still under what we're currently paying.
    What speeds do you have now?

    0 Not allowed!
    -Clayton
    2006 Suzuki SV650
    2004 Suzuki Vstrom 650
    2001 Kawasaki ZRX1200R
    2000 Honda CBR929RR
    1982 Honda CB750F Super Sport

  18. #268
    Senior Member marshdrummer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Southington, CT
    Age
    46
    Posts
    376

    Re: Cutting the cord....

    Quote Originally Posted by Point37 View Post
    this is what i'm paying now...i could probably cut playstation vue as well once the football season is over or at least downgrade the package but i never do...

    xfinity blast internet 200mbps $95 (ripoff price, would like to knock this down but i don't want to spend time fighting on the phone with a retention specialist since there is no other cable service in town)
    netflix $13
    playstation vue core package $55
    hd antenna
    Just an FYI - Sony announced they are doing away with PlayStation Vue...not sure of the timeframe, but soon.

    1 Not allowed!

  19. #269
    is not wearing pants Point37's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    South Coast MAsshole
    Age
    38
    Posts
    2,116

    Re: Cutting the cord....

    Quote Originally Posted by marshdrummer View Post
    Just an FYI - Sony announced they are doing away with PlayStation Vue...not sure of the timeframe, but soon.
    did not know that...thanks!...just looked it up Jan 30 2020 it's going offline

    new question...what streaming tv service can i get espn and nfl network on and run through firestick?

    0 Not allowed!
    Last edited by Point37; 11-08-19 at 09:31 AM.
    bike: none but i have a seafoam green 125cc scooter
    Point37s Garage Sale Thread

  20. #270
    Lifer ZX-12R's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Candia, NH
    Age
    39
    Posts
    5,158

    Re: Cutting the cord....

    Quote Originally Posted by TheIglu View Post
    What speeds do you have now?
    Out of curiosity, would you push back retirement a year if it meant having realistic internet speeds at your house?

    0 Not allowed!
    "...i would seriously bite somebody right in the balls..." -bump909

  21. #271
    Lifer ZX-12R's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Candia, NH
    Age
    39
    Posts
    5,158

    Re: Cutting the cord....

    Quote Originally Posted by Point37 View Post
    xfinity blast internet 200mbps $95
    I'm wondering if Blast speeds are different depending on area. My Blast package is currently at 300mbps and it usually speed-checks around 330-350mbps depending on time of day.

    I have a somewhat pricey cable plan that includes a bunch of premium channels, internet, and phone service but I mainly do it to support some other family members that aren't in a great financial situation or do not have access to cable at all. I can provide them mail accounts through my Comcast account which allows them to log into multiple streaming channels and services.

    0 Not allowed!
    "...i would seriously bite somebody right in the balls..." -bump909

  22. #272
    Senior Member marshdrummer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Southington, CT
    Age
    46
    Posts
    376

    Re: Cutting the cord....

    Sling - blue + orange plan. $25/month. they are having a 40% off first month. They also have a 5 or 7 day free trial PLUS a free roku streaming stick. (I like Roku>Firestick. Faster, better interface)

    I have Sling Blue, Sports package (for Bein Sports (moto GP and WSB), cloud DVR. All in - $42.53 and month. Add in Orange and it would be $52.xx/month

    0 Not allowed!

  23. #273
    is not wearing pants Point37's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    South Coast MAsshole
    Age
    38
    Posts
    2,116

    Re: Cutting the cord....

    Quote Originally Posted by ZX-12R View Post
    I'm wondering if Blast speeds are different depending on area. My Blast package is currently at 300mbps and it usually speed-checks around 330-350mbps depending on time of day.

    I have a somewhat pricey cable plan that includes a bunch of premium channels, internet, and phone service but I mainly do it to support some other family members that aren't in a great financial situation or do not have access to cable at all. I can provide them mail accounts through my Comcast account which allows them to log into multiple streaming channels and services.
    blast in my area is up to 300mbps now as well but when i got it 200mbps was the tier on the deal...but i only have internet, no phone or tv...almost $100 just for internet is a little expensive in my book when they are offering blast 300mbps for $60 and 200mbps for $50...but after a year it will end up right back up near $100...i hate cable companies...it wouldn't be so bad if we had another cable service in town that i could flop back and forth or at least be able to threaten to leave to get the price down

    0 Not allowed!
    bike: none but i have a seafoam green 125cc scooter
    Point37s Garage Sale Thread

  24. #274
    Burns retinas nhbubba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Seacoast NH
    Posts
    16,121

    Re: Cutting the cord....

    We must be doing something wrong. We are on the "starter" or whatever broadband tier. Something like 10-15 down and 3 up.
    We stream shit all the time and are happy as pigs in shit. $50/mo /done
    Wife got a call the other day offering a "intro price" upgrade. F that.. We're good.

    0 Not allowed!

  25. #275
    Super Moderator TheIglu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Royalston, MA
    Age
    39
    Posts
    19,836

    Re: Cutting the cord....

    Quote Originally Posted by ZX-12R View Post
    Out of curiosity, would you push back retirement a year if it meant having realistic internet speeds at your house?
    Oh hell no. I don't miss watching mindless TV, commercials, channel surfing, etc. I have enough internet at my house to do whatever I want, minus streaming hi def video.


    Be nice to be closer to work, closer to amenities, etc, but fast vs slow internet is NOT a factor at all in a decision if we'd move or not. It's just so unimportant in the grand scheme of things.

    0 Not allowed!
    -Clayton
    2006 Suzuki SV650
    2004 Suzuki Vstrom 650
    2001 Kawasaki ZRX1200R
    2000 Honda CBR929RR
    1982 Honda CB750F Super Sport

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •