Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112

Cutting the cord....

Re: Cutting the cord....

Quote Originally Posted by nhbubba View Post
    We must be doing something wrong. We are on the "starter" or whatever broadband tier. Something like 10-15 down and 3 up.
    We stream shit all the time and are happy as pigs in shit. $50/mo /done
    Wife got a call the other day offering a "intro price" upgrade. F that.. We're good.
    I know people that have more bandwidth for their family of 4 than I run a 24 hour residential campus of 750 people with. And they still jump at any chance to pay for more bandwidth they won't use.

1 Not allowed!
    -Clayton
    2006 Suzuki SV650
    2004 Suzuki Vstrom 650
    2001 Kawasaki ZRX1200R
    2000 Honda CBR929RR
    1982 Honda CB750F Super Sport

Posting Freak

Just dumped Hulu - it's super glitchy, their interface is lousy and the customer service worse (sounds like Comcast, right?). Jumped on the free trial for YouTube TV - it allows you to customize not just the channels you see, but the order they appear. I don't know why they don't all do this, but it's a good feature. So far the customer service has also been spot on. YouTube is owned by Google so it seems a good bet they'll continue to develop their tech.

0 Not allowed!

my Roku is acting up, and instead of replacing it, I want to use my laptop and use the tv as a second monitor. the TV has a regular monitor cable input as well as HDMI capability and my laptop has both outputs. I have use my tv as a second monitor with a cable.. How would I go about doing that wireless ? I started searching on line, and just got confused

is there a way I can just plug in dongles to my laptop, and the tv ?

0 Not allowed!
    RandyO
    IBA#9560
    A man with a gun is a citizen
    A man without a gun is a subject

Lifer

Quote Originally Posted by Bonk! View Post
    Just dumped Hulu - it's super glitchy, their interface is lousy and the customer service worse (sounds like Comcast, right?).
    NBC owns a third of them, and Comcast owns NBC. Hulu isn't exactly an 'alternative' to the cable companies. It's one of their products.

0 Not allowed!
    02 Aprilia Futura
    86 GPz900R

Quote Originally Posted by TheIglu View Post
    What speeds do you have now?
    Supposed to be 300/300. So far, so good with our fiber optic wireless cable box set-up. A few phones, a few TV's although they're rarely all streaming together.

I was under the impression that the wireless video runs off a different access point than the WiFi though. Could I be mistaken?

0 Not allowed!
    Did you grit your teeth and try to look like Clint Fuckin' Eastwood?
    Or did you lisp it all hangfisted like a fuckin' flower?

Quote Originally Posted by RandyO View Post
    my Roku is acting up, and instead of replacing it, I want to use my laptop and use the tv as a second monitor. the TV has a regular monitor cable input as well as HDMI capability and my laptop has both outputs. I have use my tv as a second monitor with a cable.. How would I go about doing that wireless ? I started searching on line, and just got confused

is there a way I can just plug in dongles to my laptop, and the tv ?
    They do make a HDMI wireless dongle. Last I looked, it is expensive. Also, I read some reviews that there is a slight lag.

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Stoneman View Post
    Supposed to be 300/300. So far, so good with our fiber optic wireless cable box set-up. A few phones, a few TV's although they're rarely all streaming together.

I was under the impression that the wireless video runs off a different access point than the WiFi though. Could I be mistaken?
    You are mistaken.

There are two radios in there. A 5ghz radio and a 2.4Ghz radio. All devices, regardless of what content they provide, uses one or both of those radios. 5Ghz has more throughput and less intereference, but 2.4Ghz has much longer range and can penetrate more materials.

300/300 is absurd for a single residence. If you can downgrade to 100/100 to save money, do it.

You should be able to have 5 devices streaming all at once quite easily on a 100Mb connection.

2 Not allowed!
    -Clayton
    2006 Suzuki SV650
    2004 Suzuki Vstrom 650
    2001 Kawasaki ZRX1200R
    2000 Honda CBR929RR

You are mistaken.

There are two radios in there. A 5ghz radio and a 2.4Ghz radio. All devices, regardless of what content they provide, uses one or both of those radios. 5Ghz has more throughput and less intereference, but 2.4Ghz has much longer range and can penetrate more materials.

300/300 is absurd for a single residence. If you can downgrade to 100/100 to save money, do it.

You should be able to have 5 devices streaming all at once quite easily on a 100Mb connection.
    Hmmm...looking quickly, the internet package we have is their staring point for our area. I'll look into that a bit deeper when I get a chance though because the DO mention lower packages. Just doesn't show for my area, which wouldn't make much sense to me. I'll check tonight.

0 Not allowed!
    Did you grit your teeth and try to look like Clint Fuckin' Eastwood?
    Or did you lisp it all hangfisted like a fuckin' flower?

Lifer

Quote Originally Posted by Stoneman View Post
    Hmmm...looking quickly, the internet package we have is their staring point for our area. I'll look into that a bit deeper when I get a chance though because the DO mention lower packages. Just doesn't show for my area, which wouldn't make much sense to me. I'll check tonight.
    I agree that 300 is more than enough. The only thing I'd watch out for from some minimally promoted budget plan is that it might have monthly data restrictions. I want to say most (all?) ISPs have done away with that, but double check. If you have no restriction now, or it's super high, that's at least a perk you might benefit from. Depends on your total monthly usage, but streaming services eat data in a hurry.

0 Not allowed!
    02 Aprilia Futura
    86 GPz900R

There are two radios in there.
    If it's a 4K box, it may have a 3rd radio at 60Ghz.

0 Not allowed!
    "...i would seriously bite somebody right in the balls..." -bump909

Have you seen my baseball GingahNinjah's Avatar

Disney+ went live today

0 Not allowed!
    https://www.facebook.com/LRRSBT1R #54 EX 2007 SV650 "Work hard. Play harder. Die broke and happy!" Boston Tier 1 Racing Pirelli Tires Woodcraft-CFM Armorbodies Penguin Racing School Vortex Shorai Batteries DP Brakes Riders Discount SIDI Leatt

Quote Originally Posted by ZX-12R View Post
    If it's a 4K box, it may have a 3rd radio at 60Ghz.
    Not for connected wifi devices though... is it for other TV boxes or something?

0 Not allowed!
    -Clayton
    2006 Suzuki SV650
    2004 Suzuki Vstrom 650
    2001 Kawasaki ZRX1200R
    2000 Honda CBR929RR

Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112