Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Cutting the cord....

Re: Cutting the cord....

I'm going on what, 4 or 5 years without broadcast TV?

One thing that helps is Plex. Having a Plex server at your house (running on an old Mac Mini) with 11TB of media on an old Drobo B800i really gives you some options on things to watch

0 Not allowed!
    -Clayton
    2006 Suzuki SV650
    2004 Suzuki Vstrom 650
    2001 Kawasaki ZRX1200R
    1982 Honda CB750F Super Sport

Quote Originally Posted by SRTie4k View Post
    That's the beauty of regional monopolies/franchising, they don't have to give a fuck if there's no other option. Thankfully Time Warner doesn't pull this shit...yet.

My recommendation is to buy an Arris/Motorola SB6141 on Amazon. If they refuse to budge on the supported modem list, at least stick it to em and buy an "officially supported" one by flagrantly not renting. It'll pay for itself in 10 months anyways, and you'll never need a new one (DOCSIS 3.0 supports speeds far greater than we'll ever see around here in New England).
    Quote Originally Posted by ZX-12R View Post
    Comcast also has incorrect data about the capabilities of the modems they support. When they bumped up our speed to 200Mbit, I started getting emails that my modem was incompatible with those speeds and I needed to upgrade. I run an Arris TM822G which is good to about 300Mbit and change and my speed tests confirm everything is fine on my end with a download speed around 230Mbit.
    thanks guys...they definetly lie about the speeds on their website (screen shots below)...i have an Arris TM822G telephony modem (~300 mbps download), an Arris SB6121 internet modem (~172 mbps download) and a Medialink Wifi Router MWNWAPR150N (~150mbps)...i have the SB6121 hooked up next to my desktop for the internet at the moment (the TM822G was connected in the basement for the phone lines only but i just disconnected it last weekend)...i am thinking of swapping out the SB6121 to the TM822G this weekend before cutting down to internet only...right now i'm only getting something like 35mbps download on my desktop and we have Blast in our bundle which is 200 mbps download...i am thinking of picking up a better wifi router as well...any advice would be appreciated...i'm hoping the woman i spoke with is just dumb and i have better results this weekend

router NETGEAR Nighthawk AC1900
    Amazon.com: NETGEAR Nighthawk AC1900 Dual Band Wi-Fi Gigabit Router (R7000) with Open Source Support. Compatible with Amazon Echo/Alexa: Computers & Accessories

Speedtest.net by Ookla - The Global Broadband Speed Test

Cutting the cord....-sb6121-jpg

Cutting the cord....-tm822g-jpg

0 Not allowed!
    Last edited by Point37; 03-15-17 at 08:51 AM.
    bike: none but i have a seafoam green 125cc scooter
    Point37s Garage Sale Thread

When testing ISP speed, plug directly into your modem for the speed test.

They will ALWAYS blame any other possible bottlenecks.

And reboot your modem often.

0 Not allowed!
    -Clayton
    2006 Suzuki SV650
    2004 Suzuki Vstrom 650
    2001 Kawasaki ZRX1200R

Quote Originally Posted by TheIglu View Post
    When testing ISP speed, plug directly into your modem for the speed test.

They will ALWAYS blame any other possible bottlenecks.

And reboot your modem often.
    thanks...so basically unplug the power cords from the modem and the router and plug them back in as well as connect the desktop directly to the modem and then speed test...is that speed test site legit or are there better ones?

0 Not allowed!

Typically that speed test site is decent. But the more you try, the better data you get.

But, using their own speed test is probably the best move.

XFINITY Speed Test

0 Not allowed!
    -Clayton
    2006 Suzuki SV650
    2004 Suzuki Vstrom 650
    2001 Kawasaki ZRX1200R

Quote Originally Posted by Point37 View Post
    thanks...so basically unplug the power cords from the modem and the router and plug them back in as well as connect the desktop directly to the modem and then speed test...is that speed test site legit or are there better ones?
    Correct. If your speeds go up dramatically when hooked directly to the modem, there may be a configuration issue with your router. In any case, you should be using your TM822G as your modem since it can bond 8 downstream channels to take advantage of your 200mbps service. The Ookla speed test is accurate based on the metrics of my router. I'm pretty sure a lot of the other speed test sites (Xfinity's included) are actually using Ookla APIs so you end up with the same results.

I've heard decent things said about Netgear's Nighthawk line of routers. I have no experience with them however.

A while back I made the switch over to Ubiquiti networking products. I use their Edgerouter Lite (Ubiquiti Networks - EdgeRouter™ Lite) as my stand alone router and I have a mix of their access points including the UAP-AC-PRO.(Ubiquiti Networks - UniFi(R) AP AC PRO). I've attached a recent speed test that I ran from my Galaxy S5 on 5.8Ghz and was able to get 215mbps while my wife was streaming Netflix off of the 5.8 network and my kids were watching Youtube on the 2.4 network. With no other activity, it will be as high as 228-230mbps and my office PC which is hardwired will peak around 234mbps.

Cutting the cord....-cellphone-speed-png

0 Not allowed!
    "...i would seriously bite somebody right in the balls..." -bump909

Quote Originally Posted by TheIglu View Post
    Typically that speed test site is decent. But the more you try, the better data you get.

But, using their own speed test is probably the best move.

XFINITY Speed Test
    Correct. If your speeds go up dramatically when hooked directly to the modem, there may be a configuration issue with your router. In any case, you should be using your TM822G as your modem since it can bond 8 downstream channels to take advantage of your 200mbps service. The Ookla speed test is accurate based on the metrics of my router. I'm pretty sure a lot of the other speed test sites (Xfinity's included) are actually using Ookla APIs so you end up with the same results.

I've heard decent things said about Netgear's Nighthawk line of routers. I have no experience with them however.

A while back I made the switch over to Ubiquiti networking products. I use their Edgerouter Lite (Ubiquiti Networks - EdgeRouter™ Lite) as my stand alone router and I have a mix of their access points including the UAP-AC-PRO.(Ubiquiti Networks - UniFi(R) AP AC PRO). I've attached a recent speed test that I ran from my Galaxy S5 on 5.8Ghz and was able to get 215mbps while my wife was streaming Netflix off of the 5.8 network and my kids were watching Youtube on the 2.4 network. With no other activity, it will be as high as 228-230mbps and my office PC which is hardwired will peak around 234mbps.

Cutting the cord....-cellphone-speed-png
    thanks guys...i'll have try these things and see what happens

0 Not allowed!

I have the Nighthawk AC1900 and its rock solid and very fast.

That said, if you're only getting 35mbps down on your desktop connected directly to your SB6121, something is very very wrong, most likely with your desktop. I'd be updating NIC drivers, and if that doesnt fix it, checking for malware.

0 Not allowed!
    2015 KTM 1290 Super Adventure

Quote Originally Posted by SRTie4k View Post
    I have the Nighthawk AC1900 and its rock solid and very fast.

That said, if you're only getting 35mbps down on your desktop connected directly to your SB6121, something is very very wrong, most likely with your desktop. I'd be updating NIC drivers, and if that doesnt fix it, checking for malware.
    thanks...def will do this

0 Not allowed!

Or an ISP problem.

I'd wager the ISP issue. Bunch of friends on mine on Comcast were complaining yesterday about paying for 200 but getting 12.

0 Not allowed!
    -Clayton
    2006 Suzuki SV650
    2004 Suzuki Vstrom 650
    2001 Kawasaki ZRX1200R

Just checked . 4 mbps download, 1 up. It's really limiting my ability to get work done. As in, if I didn't have it, I could get some work done instead of being on here.

1 Not allowed!
    99 + 02 SV650 ex-race - 91 FJ1200 street - 03 KDX220R woods - 12 WR450F motard/ice

Lifer

an Arris SB6121 internet modem
    It might be a coincidence, but I have an SB6121 (Motorola-branded) and I believe the person I know also has an SB6121. I just did some googling, and found this : SB6121/6141 End of Life Details - Xfinity Help and Support Forums It's from last year, so not sure why I haven't seen it before. Maybe I forgot. But I think that explains some of it. If I understand correctly, call Xfinity/Comcast back, tell them you own the gear and they're supposed to let you keep using it. Sounds like there might be some incompetence or communication problems in the mix.

0 Not allowed!
    02 Aprilia Futura
    86 GPz900R

You may want to do a sanity check of your cable modem's status page to make sure your connections to their network are ok. For the TM822G, you can access it from a local computer by pointing your browser to 192.168.100.1. I wouldn't be surprised if your SB1621 does something similar. I've attached a picture of my modem status and I would expect a similar picture for the SB1621 except with 4 bonded downstream channels instead of 8. You'll want to see the following and if you have any outliers, it's an indication that the external wiring to your modem may be suspect:

Downstream Signal to Noise Ratio (SNR): 32 dB - 50 dB
    Downstream Power Level: -5 dBmV to 5 dBmV
    Upstream Power Level: 32 dBmV - 50 dBmV

Cutting the cord....-cable-modem-status-jpg

Comcast is in the process of making 16 downstream channels available which won't have much impact on your current speed plan but if you upgrade your modem in the future, make sure to get one that at least supports it.

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by aldend123 View Post
    It might be a coincidence, but I have an SB6121 (Motorola-branded) and I believe the person I know also has an SB6121. I just did some googling, and found this : SB6121/6141 End of Life Details - Xfinity Help and Support Forums It's from last year, so not sure why I haven't seen it before. Maybe I forgot. But I think that explains some of it. If I understand correctly, call Xfinity/Comcast back, tell them you own the gear and they're supposed to let you keep using it. Sounds like there might be some incompetence or communication problems in the mix.
    thanks...that's messed up...it's still be on their approved list...i hate this company

You may want to do a sanity check of your cable modem's status page to make sure your connections to their network are ok. For the TM822G, you can access it from a local computer by pointing your browser to 192.168.100.1. I wouldn't be surprised if your SB1621 does something similar. I've attached a picture of my modem status and I would expect a similar picture for the SB1621 except with 4 bonded downstream channels instead of 8. You'll want to see the following and if you have any outliers, it's an indication that the external wiring to your modem may be suspect:

Downstream Signal to Noise Ratio (SNR): 32 dB - 50 dB
    Downstream Power Level: -5 dBmV to 5 dBmV
    Upstream Power Level: 32 dBmV - 50 dBmV

Cutting the cord....-cable-modem-status-jpg

Comcast is in the process of making 16 downstream channels available which won't have much impact on your current speed plan but if you upgrade your modem in the future, make sure to get one that at least supports it.
    thanks...will def do...going to do a reset first...this stuff is greek to me

0 Not allowed!

Cutting the cord....

so i reset the modem and the router and did a speed test and we were around 95 mbps download and 12 upload...

i have 2 of my own modems and a wifi router:

--Arris TM822G telephony modem (~300 mbps download [up to 214 mbps on the comcast website])
    --Arris SB6121 internet modem (~172 mbps download [up to 101 mbps on the comcast website])
    --Medialink Wifi Router MWNWAPR150N (~150mbps))

the TM822G was installed in the basement only to handle the phone lines (cause the house is wired weird)...the SB6121 was right next to my desktop and the wifi router was right next to that both hardwired to the desktop...2 weekends ago i disconnected the TM822G as well as the main cable tv box on the first floor tv and the cable tv adapter on the 2nd floor tv and i connected everything as i wanted it to be connected for when we cut the cable tv and phone service and just kept the internet...i just wanted to test how it would be...so basically only the SB6121 and the wifi router was still active in their original location...

...this past Saturday morning i swapped out the SB6121 and installed the TM822G since that is the faster modem and i disconnected the wifi router so it would be easier for comcast to connect to the modem (i would just reconnect the wifi router afterwards)...i never thought to turn on the computer and check to see if the internet worked since i didn't think it would anyway...late Saturday morning my wife and i went into comcast and i cancelled my account and returned my cable box and cable adapter...the guy at the desk couldn't sign my wife up cause he would get red flagged (if we had different last names or weren't married he could have)...he suggested to wait 24 hours so that my account would be cancelled and then call up on Sunday and re-sign up and just make some excuse like you made a mistake and couldn't get verizon service or something...

...so Sunday a little under 24 hours we called and got the new account under her name and got blast internet (up to 200 mbps) for the promo price $49.99/mo (which is what we had when when we had our bundle)...she said she would call back when the account was active...i had turned on my computer and i was surprised to see that the internet was working already...i was saying i guess we could have used the wifi router last night to watch tv instead of watching dvds...i was wondering if my account was still active but i was also wondering why the TM822G modem was working since it never handled internet before...so after speaking on the phone with a rep they finally closed my old account and i had to give them permission to use my modem on her account...so they tried to connect the TM822G on her account and all it did was reset over and over like it was in a loop...the rep went through her troubleshooting list (all of which i knew weren't the problem since the modem was just working before)...while we were going through this whole thing i was on my wife's newly created comcast account on my cell phone watching the modem go offline and online since you can see the status of your device on there (another thing i didn't think to check before i disconnected my account)...well at the beginning when they were switching my modem over to her account i saw the modem listed as an Arris TG862G...and i remembered the first time i changed over from rental equipment to my own equipment in 2015 they had a similar problem connecting to my TM822G...i spent hours on the phone with them trying to get it all connected...i think it was in there as a different model with similar specs but with my identification numbers (the cmac/emac numbers)...i bought the modem off of amazon in early 2015...so all in all i got frustrated and just had them reconnect to the SB6121 and i would deal with it later...

anyone ever have a modem go in as a different model number than what it said on the shell?

0 Not allowed!
    Last edited by Point37; 03-20-17 at 08:43 AM.

The customer service person entered it wrong. It should definitely show up like this:

Cutting the cord....-tm822g_status-jpg

0 Not allowed!

Cutting the cord....

she didn't have to enter it...it was already on my account...she had to transfer it to my wife's the new account...while it was in there as the other modem it was working correctly...i think this is the workaround they did when they put it in on my account when i switched over from rental equipment to my equipment back in 2015...i remember being on the phone with them for like 5 calls and 4 or 5 hours to sort it out...i wished i had looked at the my device page before disconnecting my account...i'm wondering if my modem was a refurbished unit with the guts of that other modem...i don't recall if i got it new or used and i can't seem to tell on amazon if i did get it new or used...either way i am going to try to connect it again this weekend...maybe i will have them try to enter it as another model number...not sure if that will make a difference...i wonder if there is a way to know by opening it up...is there anyway i can see the diagnostics page without it being connected by comcast?...the comcast rep gave me the Arris phone number to call them and see if i can sort it out...i think i am going to try to get comcast to sort it out cause it worked before

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

0 Not allowed!
    Last edited by Point37; 03-20-17 at 11:30 AM.

Lifer

Maybe there's something I'm not understanding about the history with this modem, but I'd call them, have them remove the modem, then re-add. I'd be pretty surprised if an authorized reseller/refurbisher used different hardware and did not indicate it.

To get diagnostic info, connect your computer directly to the modem, then go to http://192.168.100.1 - you should see something like what is shown in post 113.

1 Not allowed!
    02 Aprilia Futura
    86 GPz900R

Maybe there's something I'm not understanding about the history with this modem, but I'd call them, have them remove the modem, then re-add. I'd be pretty surprised if an authorized reseller/refurbisher used different hardware and did not indicate it.

To get diagnostic info, connect your computer directly to the modem, then go to http://192.168.100.1 - you should see something like what is shown in post 113.
    thanks...now can i do this if the modem isn't "connected" by comcast?

0 Not allowed!

Lifer

thanks...now can i do this if the modem isn't "connected" by comcast?
    Yes. It's the same procedure as if you bought a new modem from Amazon and called them up to switch it out. Tell them it's showing up as the wrong model, and you'd like them to drop it and re-add it.

They shouldn't give you any shit about their people not doing it. I don't think I've ever had a comcast/xfinity rep do any work in the house. If they push back, try to show you aren't totally incompetent by going over that it's connected, link light is on, directly connected to your computer, and read the the model number off it. The point is to show that there's nothing the tech is gonna learn by coming out.

0 Not allowed!
    02 Aprilia Futura
    86 GPz900R

Yes. It's the same procedure as if you bought a new modem from Amazon and called them up to switch it out. Tell them it's showing up as the wrong model, and you'd like them to drop it and re-add it.

They shouldn't give you any shit about their people not doing it. I don't think I've ever had a comcast/xfinity rep do any work in the house. If they push back, try to show you aren't totally incompetent by going over that it's connected, link light is on, directly connected to your computer, and read the the model number off it. The point is to show that there's nothing the tech is gonna learn by coming out.
    thanks...yea that's what i plan to do...but i was wondering if i could access the diagnostics page by just plugging in the power cord to the modem and connecting the ethernet cable from the modem to a computer (i.e. no coax internet cable attached coming in)...i was just going to connect it to my wife's laptop and look at the diagnostics page...i will actually probably have no idea what i'm looking at even if i can look at the diagnostics page, not sure if it will say a model number and the mac codes on that page...i just want to check that the guts match the numbers on the sticker...the modem came with 2 additional stickers for my use and all 3 match...the fact is that the modem worked before...it should work again

0 Not allowed!

seeing the speeds you guys have available makes me want to puke. i'm MAXED at 2.8/0.8 and i run a business and family off that drip.

FML.

0 Not allowed!
    Beta 250RR

Lifer

thanks...yea that's what i plan to do...but i was wondering if i could access the diagnostics page by just plugging in the power cord to the modem and connecting the ethernet cable from the modem to a computer (i.e. no coax internet cable attached coming in)...i was just going to connect it to my wife's laptop and look at the diagnostics page...i will actually probably have no idea what i'm looking at even if i can look at the diagnostics page, not sure if it will say a model number and the mac codes on that page...i just want to check that the guts match the numbers on the sticker...the modem came with 2 additional stickers for my use and all 3 match...the fact is that the modem worked before...it should work again
    I don't think I've ever tried to access the page without the coax plugged in, but I can't see why it wouldn't work to get the info you want. The status page will likely be missing some info. But you want the hardware/firmware details.
    Quote Originally Posted by typeone View Post
    seeing the speeds you guys have available makes me want to puke. i'm MAXED at 2.8/0.8 and i run a business and family off that drip.

FML.
    DSL? You should have something faster available over cable internet.

0 Not allowed!
    02 Aprilia Futura
    86 GPz900R

DSL? You should have something faster available over cable internet.
    yes, Verizon DSL. no cable option here. there are a few wireless options but they're expensive, slow and unreliable. i tether my phone when in a jam.

0 Not allowed!
    Beta 250RR

I'd kill to get 2.8 over my DSL.

My town is setting up their own "fiber" network. But decided instead of fiber to every house, they would setup 7 microwave towers in town.

Only $74.95 a month for "up to" 10 down, 5 up! WHAT A DEAL!

0 Not allowed!
    -Clayton
    2006 Suzuki SV650
    2004 Suzuki Vstrom 650
    2001 Kawasaki ZRX1200R

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast