Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789

Cutting the cord....

Re: Cutting the cord....

Quote Originally Posted by tsorfas View Post
    Which spectrum modem you have? Did you notice speed difference from Apple to Google Mesh?
    hmm, good question. no real markings on it but looks to be a Nokia 7368 ISAM ONT unit visually, i'll see if i can get more specs. Apple > Google came before Spectrum so can't say. loved Google Mesh from day one though, and i'm a die-hard Apple guy.

0 Not allowed!
    Beta 250RR + 200RR

I've been streaming netflix and amazon, etc for a while, but no real local news or programing, so I'm in the process of getting a digital antenna, my local stations will be from Portland, ME, I'm on the wrong side of the hill to get Manchester, NH, I couldn't get it with analog, I don't expect any better with digital broadcast. I might be able to get Boston, it's in the claimed range of some antennas

0 Not allowed!
    RandyO
    IBA#9560
    A man with a gun is a citizen
    A man without a gun is a subject

I either get Boston or Portland or neither. I never get Manchester either depending on the weather and mood of those little electrons. I honestly doubt you will pull in any of the Boston stations at all. You can forget about the fox affiliate. Iíve never pulled that one in.

0 Not allowed!

via ethernet cable and Google Speed tester: 218mbps
    via ethernet cable and Spectrum Speed tester: 440mbps
    via ethernet cable and AT&T Speed Tester: 448mbps

via Apple Airport Extreme Wifi and all my devices connected Google Speed Test: 98mbps
    via Apple Airport Extreme Wifi and all my devices connected Spectrum Speed Test: 119mbps
    via Apple Airport Extreme Wifi and all my devices connected AT&T Speed Test: 120mbps

upload speeds were around 20 with all 3 testers and wifi

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by nhbubba View Post
    I either get Boston or Portland or neither. I never get Manchester either depending on the weather and mood of those little electrons. I honestly doubt you will pull in any of the Boston stations at all. You can forget about the fox affiliate. I’ve never pulled that one in.

that make me lean toward a 60 mile antenna instead of a 150 mile range, the shorter range antennas are said to have better gain and not need signal amplification

0 Not allowed!
    RandyO
    IBA#9560

Quote Originally Posted by Stromper View Post
    I have a 6 bay HD antenna on a roof get all majors TRUE 60 mile range, I do live on a hill

Timmy, have we had quality improvement since last 2 years. It was worse than reg TV last time
    tell me more about your antenna

0 Not allowed!
    RandyO
    IBA#9560

Since stepping into the 21st century recently and getting a couple smart TV's, we find ourselves watching cable less & less. We've been researching certain networks, local news & sports options, pay per view choices, etc.

The two new sets are both Roku, and that covers a lot. I can do without local news to a point, and we've found NECN on Roku - although it's a bit watered down and audio SUCKS with NECN. Big Shirl has found most of the networks she likes on free streaming as well, and can be happy with those. My biggest hang-up so far is NESN though. I *NEED* my Red Sox & Bruins LIVE.

I guess my question is Fubo TV or You Tube TV to start the cord cutting process? If I remember, Fubo currently carries NESN & NECN, which I'm told is a helluvalot better than the NECN broadcast on Roku.

0 Not allowed!
    Did you grit your teeth and try to look like Clint Fuckin' Eastwood?
    Or did you lisp it all hangfisted like a fuckin' flower?

Quote Originally Posted by TheIglu View Post
    The more devices, the less airtime per device. Simple as that.

Get a mesh system, hardwired units if possible. And hardwire everything that can feasibly be hardwired.
    Why are you suggesting a mesh system? I read a bit on the google WiFi. I can see how it can be great if you have a large home but I have a 1700 sq ft two floor and a basement. I didnít read any benefits on mesh for multiple devices.

Care to elaborate? Iím sure Iím missing something.

0 Not allowed!

If you have a ton of devices going to a single radio, that radio can only talk to one device at a time.

If you add in a second radio, it's half the devices per radio.

Really though, I wouldn't spend a dime on anything until you do some troubleshooting to find the root cause.

1 Not allowed!
    -Clayton
    2006 Suzuki SV650
    2004 Suzuki Vstrom 650
    2001 Kawasaki ZRX1200R
    1982 Honda CB750F Super Sport

Quote Originally Posted by tsorfas View Post
    It seems that my WiFi router Apple AirPort Extreme is getting worse with each update and somehow my range seems to be decreasing? Could it be that I have converted most of my house to a smart home with several devices connected (10+ phones and tablets, 20+ smart light bulbs, 5 computers/laptops, 2 nest thermostats, 2 smart TVs, fire stick, garage opener, door sensors, etc). Looking to finally replace it after 7 years.
    Looks like Archer C4000 is one of the top rated routers. Any feedback/suggestions?
    Another approach, get a 4-port switch off of the modem and split; run one router to handle all of your smart devices (use the old apple for this) and then add a second router to handle your other devices such as streaming TV. The old router with all of the home automation crap doesn't need instantaneous response time to 20 something devices, you're not switching anything that can't wait a few seconds. Funnel your on demand traffic into the new router (or mesh system.)

1 Not allowed!
    I went to MMI I know what Im doing here chief

87 channels now on the M-Hat.

Still free to all NESR members in good standing .

Simply PM me.

0 Not allowed!
    TIMMYDUCK

Quote Originally Posted by TIMMYDUCK View Post
    87 channels now on the M-Hat.

Still free to all NESR members in good standing .

Simply PM me.
    I thought I noticed some new channels yesterday..

Also the app for Android tv devices is MUCH more user friendly.

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by TheIglu View Post
    If you have a ton of devices going to a single radio, that radio can only talk to one device at a time.

If you add in a second radio, it's half the devices per radio.

Really though, I wouldn't spend a dime on anything until you do some troubleshooting to find the root cause.
    So I got a basic Linksys router of Amazon for $55ish. Connected that to the modem. Then connected the Apple router to the Linksys router. Set up the priority devices on the Linksys router and made the Apple router last in priority. I left things like the printer, some cameras, etc on the Apple router. Hardwired the main TV and Apple TV also. Tablets and phones of people visiting going to the Apple router network. Our stuff goes on the Linksys. Not only my speeds are incredible (yet super inconsistent - I can get from 40 up to 320mbps) on the Linksys but all the other stuff seems to be performing better. The 3 Antenna Linksys gives me coverage in the entire house all the way to my driveway and other parts of my yard.
    I had to unplug it and plug it back in twice but I like the TP app and the speeds with new coverage I’m getting.

0 Not allowed!

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789