Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Dealership charging more to pay cash

Dealership charging more to pay cash

Venting here. I went into AutoFair Subaru of Haverhill to look at a used car. Sat down with a sales guy to talk numbers. He pulls up the car on their website, then hands me a sheet of paper with a number almost $2K higher than the price on the screen. $800 dealer doc fees, kind of high but whatever, but also the base price of the vehicle has been increased $1K over their website. I point to the screen and say wtf man, its right there. We get into it, and eventually he tells me the advertised price is only valid if I use their financing, but I am paying cash so I will need to pay more. I told him that sounds illegal, he gets his boss, who then explains that "its not that we are charging you a fee to pay cash, we just get a rebate from our financing provider which we are happy to pass through to you, but if you pay cash we don't get the rebate so we can't discount the price as much". He also tells me its in the fine print on the site, which the sales guy and I check on the screen, and of course it is not. Boss man mumbles some shit to the sales guy about "always being on the wrong website", then pulls me over to his computer and clicks around for a few minutes until finally finding somewhere on the site where this is explained (I can't seem to navigate back to it now). After a few more minutes of arguing they agree to knock off $500, but still wont come down to the advertised price. I walked out. I'm almost mad enough to contact the Mass AG.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Re: Dealership charging more to pay cash

If it's not in the fine print, screen shot it and throw them under the bus. It's bait and switch if they don't give you the advertised price.

The fine print is key. If it's there, they're just another shady dealer. If it's not, you have a case.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    2012 Tiger 800 XC

Quote Originally Posted by e30addict View Post
    If it's not in the fine print, screen shot it and throw them under the bus. It's bait and switch if they don't give you the advertised price.

The fine print is key. If it's there, they're just another shady dealer. If it's not, you have a case.
    That. All day.

As a practice it is very common to offer better deal for their financing. But it’s all spelled out on websites and agreements.

Am I missing something? The fine print:

The advertised price does not reflect the final selling price. All tax, title, government fees, bank fees, vehicle registration fees, and $549 administration fee and $249 consumer data protection fee are additional. We attempt to update this inventory on a regular basis. However, there can be a delay between the sale of a vehicle and the update inventory. Pricing and availability may vary based on a variety of factors, including options, specials, fees, and financing qualifications. The estimated selling price that appears after calculating dealer offers is for informational purposes only. You may not qualify for the offers. Incentives, discounts, or financing. Offers, incentives, discounts, or financing are subject to expiration and other restrictions. See dealer for qualifications and complete details.

(4) Try not to be a dick. PurplePackage's Avatar

Take a calm day, then call them back and keep negotiating. You will get a lower price.

https://jonathanvieker.com/ackerman-bargaining/

Quote Originally Posted by PurplePackage View Post
    Take a calm day, then call them back and keep negotiating. You will get a lower price.
    Spoken like someone who has not tried to purchase a car in 2021.

Quote Originally Posted by Petorius View Post
    Am I missing something? The fine print:

The advertised price does not reflect the final selling price. All tax, title, government fees, bank fees, vehicle registration fees, and $549 administration fee and $249 consumer data protection fee are additional. We attempt to update this inventory on a regular basis. However, there can be a delay between the sale of a vehicle and the update inventory. Pricing and availability may vary based on a variety of factors, including options, specials, fees, and financing qualifications. The estimated selling price that appears after calculating dealer offers is for informational purposes only. You may not qualify for the offers. Incentives, discounts, or financing. Offers, incentives, discounts, or financing are subject to expiration and other restrictions. See dealer for qualifications and complete details.
    Not a lawyer, but I'd guess they'll try to weasel out of it by claiming there was a special rebate.

I think that line is crock of shit though. Dealers can make money on the financing by taking a flat or getting some rate participation. I've never heard of one passing on a "rebate" from a bank to a customer. The flat fee is based on the amount financed as well, so variable....

Walking out was the best thing you could do to negotiate lower if you still want the car. No idea if that matters in this current market or not, but it's typcially how you get the lowest price.

2012 Tiger 800 XC

This is literally under every price on the website of the dealer I buy my cars from
    “ Incentives shown may be conditional in availability. Please inquire with Sales Associate to confirm eligibility.”

Also
    “ While we make every effort to ensure the data listed here is correct, there may be instances where some of the factory rebates, incentives, options or vehicle features may be listed incorrectly as we get data from multiple data sources. PLEASE MAKE SURE to confirm the details of this vehicle (such as what factory rebates you may or may not qualify for) with the dealer to ensure its accuracy. Dealer cannot be held liable for data that is listed incorrectly.”

The sales manager was able to find some fine print that laid it out more explicitly, I'm just not able to find it now. It certainly is not on the vehicle pages that I am seeing when navigating the site from the landing page.

Edit: And worth noting, the sales peon was not able to find it either while I was pressing him on it.

Last edited by Petorius; 09-08-21 at 09:44 PM.

Bro share the website at this point

Here's the exact car/listing in question: https://www.autofairsubaru.com/viewd...-car?type=cash

LOL There's 10billion of those cars for sale. Go find another one at a price that works for you!

Being that you're in Windham, have you tried looking at the inventory at Granite Subaru?

Here's the exact car/listing in question: https://www.autofairsubaru.com/viewd...-car?type=cash
    Sales price on that P&S should read $16,734 as far as I would be concerned. All the extra fees can be tacked on later as per their fine print.

2012 Tiger 800 XC

(4) Try not to be a dick. PurplePackage's Avatar

Spoken like someone who has not tried to purchase a car in 2021.
    Ackerman's bargaining process applies to anything and everything, including things in high demand, like children held hostage by kidnappers (as the article I just linked states.)

Yeah, this has been the norm in some places for a long time. I've not heard of a dealership getting slapped for this yet.

Mistake - 1992 WR250ZD / 2000 LS650P / 2019 KTM 150SX / 2016 KTM 250XC / 2016 KTM 500XC W

Is there a penalty for paying off the loan early?

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by jasnmar View Post
    Most banks no. We did that with the CX5. Got their Loan to get the rebates and paid it off right away.

Quote Originally Posted by jasnmar View Post
    Check your state laws for more details. Maine for example does not allow for any pre-payment penalties. So, to you, typically no, but the dealer may require 3 monthly payments be made as part of the pricing they give you. Any less and they don't get their kickback.

Mistake - 1992 WR250ZD / 2000 LS650P / 2019 KTM 150SX / 2016 KTM 250XC / 2016 KTM 500XC W

Under additional at the bottom of the page

4] Info
    Although every reasonable effort has been made to ensure the accuracy of the information contained on this site, errors can occur. Please verify information with a customer service representative by calling any of the numbers listed on this site. All vehicles are subject to prior sale. The advertised price does not include applicable tax, title, or license fees. Images, prices, and options shown, including vehicle color, trim, options, pricing and other specifications are subject to availability, incentive offerings, current pricing and credit qualification.

Lifer

Its quite common for dealerships to offer a better deal with financing, they have been doing it for years. Its hard to get cash prices down to that level due to rebates being tied to financing but you can try. I just take the financing and pay it off after 90 days. I say 90 because thats generally the amount of time required to hold the loan with out having any penalties if you pay it off early. Different companies do it differently though so check. I would say its pretty rare to find a company that will penalize you for paying it off early if you hold the loan for at least 90 days. If they do then you shouldnt be doing business with that company anway.

These are odd times too. Dealers are doing all sorts of things to get the best deal for themselves now. I have friend that owns a Chevy dealership and he wont even sell the new Corvettes he gets in stock. He just brings them to Adesa and auctions them off for at least a $30k profit per car. He doesnt get a bad rep for marking up his lot cars and he makes easy money.

Hate dealers entirely

Bill Deluca in Haverhill added the extra warranty ( 2600) on my truck after I said I didnít want it.
    I went to pick it up my truck and I sat in the parking lot for an hour going over the numbers, something wasnít right thatís when I found out they added that warrantee that I specifically mentioned I do not want

The estimated selling price that appears after calculating dealer offers is for informational purposes only. You may not qualify for the offers. Incentives, discounts, or financing. Offers, incentives, discounts, or financing are subject to expiration and other restrictions.
    Am I missing something? That seems to sum it up per my read. In this instance you do not qualify for a $1k worth of discounts because you are a cash buyer.

Dealers get solid kick-backs for referring customers to financing. Getting a discount for playing that game seems perfectly appropriate in my view. Conversely missing out on that discount if you don't bring them the finance business.
    There is plenty to say about the state of things where finance companies are making enough off consumers to be able to offer such large kick-backs. But in this case I think bitching to a dead-beat sales guy over it is like complaining to an Army private about US foreign policy. It's the game, yo.

If you really want to shaft them, take the financing and then immediately refi out or pay the loan off within 3 months. My understanding is that this really pisses the finance companies off and they will try to claw-back from the dealer.

I've usually taken the opposite approach and asked the finance guy what a safe period is for them, then waited that amount of time to refi or whatever. Especially if I felt I got treated reasonably nicely. Doing the math that approach has usually cost me less than a few dollars in extra interest, at most. As you say, I haven't shopped for a car in 2021. Might be more inclined to go for maximum FU in the current environment.

I had a horrible experience at autofair in Haverhill

Your park avenue leads to..

Consumer data protection fee?!

Your park avenue leads to..

I can't wait for the 'dealer' model to die.

One car we bought, the price (new VW) was contingent on financing (although no reference was made - like above, until they hand you off to the next employee -aka- future bar tender).
    They asked me to wait 3 months to pay it off so they could get their kickback.
    The price was really good, so I said ok.
    Paid it off the next day. Eff emm.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast