Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Dealership charging more to pay cash

Re: Dealership charging more to pay cash

Quote Originally Posted by two-rocks View Post
    I can't wait for the 'dealer' model to die.

One car we bought, the price (new VW) was contingent on financing (although no reference was made - like above, until they hand you off to the next employee -aka- future bar tender).
    They asked me to wait 3 months to pay it off so they could get their kickback.
    The price was really good, so I said ok.
    Paid it off the next day. Eff emm.
    You know ethics go both ways right?

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Also just want to point out for those who did not navigate to the page, there is a massive button to generate your cash price, first thing you see on the screen, which returns the advertised price with no $1000 tacked on.

Quote Originally Posted by Petorius View Post
    Also just want to point out for those who did not navigate to the page, there is a massive button to generate your cash price, first thing you see on the screen, which returns the advertised price with no $1000 tacked on.
    Okay. I had not noticed that. I've never seen (or noticed) a cash/finance toggle like that.

I now agree it's bullshit.

That said, I think the intent behind that button is to show/hide the finance calculator tool, little more. That's a web UI/UX fail, not necessarily a sales deception tactic.

Ultimately I think you are pissing into the wind and suspect you have bigger fish to fry in your life. But then maybe I'm being part of the problem not raising hell over this sort of practice, allowing it to continue. Maybe we all need to call the AG and complain?!

Dunno. I think I'd take the dealer financing and then pay it off right away. Or if the terms are sweet enough, leverage it and pump money into the house, family, market, hookers, blow, new LRRS race-bike, etc. You know, a good solid financial decision.

Are you sure you want a CVT Subaru? Aren't they shit?

Quote Originally Posted by nhbubba View Post
    Are you sure you want a CVT Subaru? Aren't they shit?
    I suppose I could do a FWD car with snow tires and a dong patch.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!

When I bought the STi it was this way. It was 2k higher for a cash sale. I just financed and then paid it off. THey asked me to make 4 payments before paying it off, but I don't think I even did.

Paul_E_D

Same here when haggling for my daughter's Tacoma recently. Best OTD price was through financing with one of their institutions. There's a fee if we pay it off under 3 months.

Paying more for the purchase using cash over financing through them is nothing new. I recall something similar when I bought my previous Silverado ('09). I was looking at outside financing and the price was less if I used one of their providers.

Did you grit your teeth and try to look like Clint Fuckin' Eastwood?
    Or did you lisp it all hangfisted like a fuckin' flower?

Quote Originally Posted by Petorius View Post
    I suppose I could do a FWD car with snow tires and a dong patch.
    Interesting. I legitimately wasn't trying to be that guy. Not this time. Not that way.
    I thought the Subaru CVT was something of a time-bomb and to be avoided.
    Recent post about a Nissan CVT failure. Maybe its that brand I was thinking of.

As you were.

Quote Originally Posted by tsorfas View Post
    You know ethics go both ways right?
    Time is money.
    The price was via email OTD cash (no fine print ad or hidden toggles).
    They changed the game, just get the sucker in the door. Drove a bit of distance, which they obviously tried to leverage. Eff emm.

Bought a Tesla under a year ago - click, buy, done (you have to wait a while for delivery, but that is indicated prior to the click).

FWIW, my wife's '17 Forester CVT has just over 100k and has been trouble-free.

Quote Originally Posted by butcher bergs View Post
    FWIW, my wife's '17 Forester CVT has just over 100k and has been trouble-free.
    Perfect time to sell. That’s when they tend to get expensive

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

(4) Try not to be a dick. PurplePackage's Avatar

Yep. There are laws in many states that say you must buy a new car from a dealer. Tesla has been fighting this for years. Dealers are piles of shit that need to be flushed. Not all dealers, but enough of them to tank the entire system.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tesla_...rship_disputes

Last edited by PurplePackage; 09-09-21 at 08:33 AM. Reason: link

Perfect time to sell. That’s when they tend to get expensive
    Wanna buy a '17 Forester? :

jeez, this is fun one.

Yeah cash does not mean shit these days, sorry to break it to ya. And basically the dealer will advertise the perfect shitstorm of rebates (financing, 1st responder, conquest buyer, repeat buyer, etc) to show the cheapest price online. If you qualify for it is totally up to you.

Quote Originally Posted by PurplePackage View Post
    Yep. There are laws in many states that say you must buy a new car from a dealer. Tesla has been fighting this for years. Dealers are piles of shit that need to be flushed. Not all dealers, but enough of them to tank the entire system.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tesla_...rship_disputes
    Yes tesla the scam company.

Yes they make cars (not a scam) the new model S plaid is my kinda crazy!

but for 10,000 will sell you FSD (full self driving (which is a fucking scam) (read anything by Professor Missy Cummings)
    cyber truck: scam
    the robot: scam
    hot swappable batteries (scamed the govt for tax credits)
    Self driving cabs by 2020: scam (its almost 2022 where the fuck is my Johnny-cab Elon)
    Having customers sign NDA's for their cars in service when they have issues to hide it from the NHTSA

Dealers are for the most part what travel agents used to be. Outdated and useless for 80% of the population.
    Amazon will probably start selling cars at some point and then they ll become obsolete

Dealers are for the most part what travel agents used to be. Outdated and useless for 80% of the population.
    Amazon will probably start selling cars at some point and then they ll become obsolete
    Witness the rise of Carmax and Carvana. People willingly overpay for stuff because they don't want to play the dealer games.

2012 Tiger 800 XC

Dealerships still have the maintence side locked, when your new car needs warranty work guess where it goes, or when carmax or carvanna cant fix stuff, guess where it goes.
    Im not saying I'm 100 a dealership shrill, but they have their place, and ive also spent pretty much my entire career working throughout them so there is a bias.

And i have walked away from doing business and also walked out of jobs of ones that were shitty. But at the end of the day, a dealer is in business to make money (just like every other business, they are not a charity)

Quote Originally Posted by jhawley View Post
    Dealerships still have the maintence side locked, when your new car needs warranty work guess where it goes, or when carmax or carvanna cant fix stuff, guess where it goes.
    Im not saying I'm 100 a dealership shrill, but they have their place, and ive also spent pretty much my entire career working throughout them so there is a bias.

And i have walked away from doing business and also walked out of jobs of ones that were shitty. But at the end of the day, a dealer is in business to make money (just like every other business, they are not a charity)
    Then why is it so difficult to get a straight, no negotiation price and trade value unless the dealers feel they can make more money with the existing game?

Warranty != maintenance. Maybe for the lease and repeat crowd. But not for many/most of us.

Dealers can sit and spin. I have no love for them, especially in their modern form. One of the several appeals of Tesla is the sales model.

Another aspect is getting what you actually want vs being priced up into what is on the lot. Frustrating as fuck to have to buy the "luxury package" to get the one feature you actually want. Never mind being able to buy less popular options, like a manual. My friend in Europe talks about how he buys cars and it is like a different universe. Each item is an a-la carte option on the order sheet down to center consoles and arm rests. He has to wait weeks to get his paws on the car after it is ordered, but he got what he wanted not what was available.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveM View Post
    ...feel they can make more money with the existing game?
    Check that against what e30 claims is "willingly overpay". Some people seem very content at playing that game, others less so. I count myself firmly as uninterested.

And also this:

Quote Originally Posted by Garandman View Post
    They aren't salespeople. The only thing they share with professional salespeople is being paid commission.

"Sales Prevention Team" is far more accurate. Why do they think it's OK to know less about the product they are selling than the buyer? You'd think while they are standing around all day aggressively waiting for people to walk in, they'd pick up a brochure or something.

Then why is it so difficult to get a straight, no negotiation price and trade value unless the dealers feel they can make more money with the existing game?
    I cant get my head around this. On top of that, it seems like Carvana and Carmax are getting higher average transaction prices, with presumably greater economies of scale and lower overheads (I dont have data to support any of this).

Warranty != maintenance. Maybe for the lease and repeat crowd. But not for many/most of us.

Dealers can sit and spin. I have no love for them, especially in their modern form. One of the several appeals of Tesla is the sales model.

Another aspect is getting what you actually want vs being priced up into what is on the lot. Frustrating as fuck to have to buy the "luxury package" to get the one feature you actually want. Never mind being able to buy less popular options, like a manual. My friend in Europe talks about how he buys cars and it is like a different universe. Each item is an a-la carte option on the order sheet down to center consoles and arm rests. He has to wait weeks to get his paws on the car after it is ordered, but he got what he wanted not what was available.
    Bought my first couple brand new vehicles the same way as did my parents for years. Go in, tell 'em what you're looking for, go through the order sheet. 6-8 weeks later your new vehicle arrives as you ordered it.

I keep telling you, I don't want TruCoat!

Inertia. Car sales have traditionally been that way and it's difficult to change. It's like the 3,000 mile oil change deal. It's outdated but plenty still support it.

Personally, I detest playing the games, hence why I've drifted away from that industry, but I'm also cheap and will still play them vs paying extra at Carmax/Carvana etc... I'm hardly alone in that regard.

Saturn tried one price stuff in the 80s and it flopped. Scion tried to Pure Price everything, including warranties and F&I products and did better in the early 2000s. Now we have more dealer groups locally going towards upfront pricing, but still playing games on trades and the F&I side. Eventually, buying a car will be like shopping for everything else. Until then, we're in this weird limbo of overpaying to avoid the games or playing them to try and beat the house.

2012 Tiger 800 XC

Check that against what e30 claims is "willingly overpay".
    Simple searches show higher prices at stores like Carvana and Carmax. Plenty of listing higher then them but those dealers will also negotiate down. Willingly might have been the wrong term for some customers, but people pay more at those stores. I equate them to conveinence stores. If you buy at the corner store vs Market Basket, you pay extra for the same products. Yes, it's apples and oranges comparison, but the overall idea is the same. Conveinence costs more.

2012 Tiger 800 XC

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast