Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Dealership charging more to pay cash

Re: Dealership charging more to pay cash

It is no wonder that I have never owned a new car , but plenty of new motorcycles.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    TIMMYDUCK

Quote Originally Posted by TIMMYDUCK View Post
    It is no wonder that I have never owned a new car , but plenty of new motorcycles.
    Some motorcycle dealers are just as fucked up.

I researched an obsessed over a bike all winter and finally decided to pull the trigger. All I wanted was to throw a leg over one and verify if I liked the fit. The local dealer had one on the floor, but it was jammed in between a few other bikes. I asked if they would pull it out so I could sit on it. The reply was if I buy it, sure...

Walked out and went to another dealer. Didn't see any out and asked if they had some incoming so I could swing buy and try it on for size. They brought me up a ladder into a storage area where they had one that wasn't ready for the floor yet. Guess which dealer I bought from and which dealer I won't set foot in again.

2012 Tiger 800 XC

My buying new car process has been this since 2015:
    1) do research
    2) call the 3 dealers in my area (Mazda) and tell them what car I want with the exact details and for what price.
    3) whoever gets me the car fastest for that price gets the sale
    4) when I go in and I gotta meet the manager who’s gonna try to upsell me on a million things I talk on the phone while I’m in the meeting with him and I says I want nothing but the car as is and to be out in 15 minutes.
    5) enjoy the new car

I don't think the cut-throat dealership model is going anywhere, anytime soon. I don't mind it, but its very tough for someone without the experience. It is also very tough on the employees.

However...not all dealerships are like this. There are plenty that are the "this is our price" type of place, that likely treat their workers much better with a more laid back atmosphere. You get to choose where you buy your car and where you work. My suggestion to people not too familiar with the car-buying experience is to shop at one of the "nicer" places. A true shark could probably get a better deal at the more cutthroat shops, but time and stress is money. And if you don't know how to play the game, you shouldn't play it.

I'm fine with how the industry is working.

A man of many names...Jay, Gennaro, Gerry, etc.

To Jay’s point. ALWAYS be prepared to walk out. If you can’t do that you are at their mercy.

Quote Originally Posted by tsorfas View Post
    1) do research
    2) call the 3 dealers in my area (Mazda) and tell them what car I want with the exact details and for what price.
    4) when I go in and I gotta meet the manager who’s gonna try to upsell me on a million things I talk on the phone while I’m in the meeting with him and I says I want nothing but the car as is and to be out in 15 minutes.
    5) enjoy the new car
    I definitely do the 15 minute thing once I'm done making the deal. The managers and F&I guys only raise my blood pressure.

I walk in with the deal already typed out and tell them it is a yes/no proposition.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by nhbubba View Post
    Warranty != maintenance. Maybe for the lease and repeat crowd. But not for many/most of us.

Dealers can sit and spin. I have no love for them, especially in their modern form. One of the several appeals of Tesla is the sales model.

Another aspect is getting what you actually want vs being priced up into what is on the lot. Frustrating as fuck to have to buy the "luxury package" to get the one feature you actually want. Never mind being able to buy less popular options, like a manual. My friend in Europe talks about how he buys cars and it is like a different universe. Each item is an a-la carte option on the order sheet down to center consoles and arm rests. He has to wait weeks to get his paws on the car after it is ordered, but he got what he wanted not what was available.
    I'll agree, but that isn't the dealers issue, and customers for the most part suck; I would tell them: Hey, I can gladly order this car, but its going to take 3-5 months (this was back in 2017 before covid) people would lose their shit.
    Yell at the manufactures and how they build them. I dealt with ordering all the new cars for a Lexus dealer.

But bringing up your euro friend, Apparently its nothing like America where you can go to any part of town that has the dealers and sit in and demo several different versions, then narrow that down to a couple of colors and drive off in your new car. We Americans suck and have to have instant gratification.

Not to be Debbie downer but say what ever you want is ordered and for some reason you don't take delivery, its a lot easier to sell a car with all the features than an oddball with some random ones.

My work around is buying loaded leftover model year cars, Im, not to picky on colors unless its was some dog shit brown, but I want a loaded model, which I can usually find along with some significant discount because they are trying to make the unit go away.
    Im currently trying to do this right now on a Kia Niro Ev (as your brand new Bolt EV has a massive recall) on it, and I want out of it.

1) do research
    5) enjoy the new car
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveM View Post
    I definitely do the 15 minute thing once I'm done making the deal. The managers and F&I guys only raise my blood pressure.

I walk in with the deal already typed out and tell them it is a yes/no proposition.
    I prefer to do that while I'm looking them square in the eyes.

-This is what you're asking, this is where I'm at.
    (wait)
    (wait)
    (wait)

This is where they're now at, not good enough. Thank you for your time. If anything changes on your end, gimme a call.
    (wait)
    (wait)
    (wait)

...phone call...
    (Them) We're close, but my manager wants to know what it'd take to make this deal.
    -I already told you
    (wait)
    (wait)
    (wait)

...phone call...
    (Them) My manager says we can do it if you come down today and do the paperwork.
    -Did I mention I'll be trading "this" in?
    (Them) I don't think we can give you that much and still come down on this end.
    - Thanks for your time, didn't mean to waste any of it. It's not gonna work.
    (wait)
    (wait)
    (wait)

...phone call...
    (Them) My manager says we can do it if you come down today and do the paperwork.

Did you grit your teeth and try to look like Clint Fuckin' Eastwood?
    Or did you lisp it all hangfisted like a fuckin' flower?

Just got a voicemail from the sales peon. "My manager understands your frustration with the website, we're willing to split the difference on the rebate". Lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Petorius View Post
    Just got a voicemail from the sales peon. "My manager understands your frustration with the website, we're willing to split the difference on the rebate". Lol.
    "Thanks for your time, I certainly didn't mean to waste it. Please thank your manager for me as well. But it's just not gonna work without the full rebate"

You'll get a phone call within 24 hours giving you what you're looking for.

Quote Originally Posted by Stoneman View Post
    I prefer to do that while I'm looking them square in the eyes.

-This is what you're asking, this is where I'm at.
    (wait)
    (wait)
    (wait)

(wait)
    (wait)
    (wait)

...phone call...
    Ehhh, that's a lot of work and time. And despite your assurance, there is no guarantee that it actually works as you say.
    And who knows, they could be sitting there on the opposite side, making plenty of money on your original offer, and just playing you to see if you'll bite.

Quote Originally Posted by JettaJayGLS View Post
    And who knows, they could be sitting there on the opposite side, making plenty of money on your original offer, and just playing you to see if you'll bite.

It's not the deal you got, it's the deal you think you got.

New cars are little different since it's easier to figure out pricing. Used cars....who knows what they took the trade in for or what they put into it in the shop? If both parties are happy with the transaction that's a win all around.

Dealers makes money, customer doesn't feel like they got screwed.

2012 Tiger 800 XC

(4) Try not to be a dick. PurplePackage's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jhawley View Post
    Yes tesla the scam company.

Yes they make cars (not a scam) the new model S plaid is my kinda crazy!

but for 10,000 will sell you FSD (full self driving (which is a fucking scam) (read anything by Professor Missy Cummings)
    cyber truck: scam
    the robot: scam
    hot swappable batteries (scamed the govt for tax credits)
    Self driving cabs by 2020: scam (its almost 2022 where the fuck is my Johnny-cab Elon)
    Having customers sign NDA's for their cars in service when they have issues to hide it from the NHTSA
    you missed some:

can't order DIY parts: scam
    solar roof: scam
    new roadster: scam
    model 3 tow hitch: scam
    semi: scam
    largest charging network: scam

they sure are a scamfest I'll tell ya

Quote Originally Posted by e30addict View Post
    Used cars....who knows what they took the trade in for or what they put into it in the shop?
    Its even harder in this particular moment in time. Relatively few cars for sale by private owners, dealers have snapped everything up. And at the dealerships, even nice ones, a much larger portion of the used inventory is coming from auction vs trades, so the quality is more variable than you would expect. The one nice thing vs the last time I shopped for a car is that you can get free history reports on just about all dealer inventory now. Makes it easy to see how long the car has been sitting on the dealer lot, among other things.

(4) Try not to be a dick. PurplePackage's Avatar

"Thanks for your time, I certainly didn't mean to waste it. Please thank your manager for me as well. But it's just not gonna work without the full rebate"

You'll get a phone call within 24 hours giving you what you're looking for.
    Ackerman and Voss right there. You can also say a lower number, don't limit yourself to the price on the web. You can even say "that offer is insulting me"

https://strategyandstorytelling.com/...-by-chris-voss

Last edited by PurplePackage; 09-09-21 at 01:36 PM. Reason: yep forgot link again

Quote Originally Posted by jhawley View Post
    and customers for the most part suck
    Yup. For every shady as fuck dealer in existence there is an equal amount of customers who seem to think buying a car is license to channel their inner Karen and treat dealership employees like dog shit. Plenty of shitty customers out there keeping the cycle going. It's not just bad dealers.

As you know, anybody in the business for any length of time has plenty of customer horror stories to share, but they don't get the same attention as the shady dealers. Plenty of good people running stores and selling cars too get the shaft and lost in the noise too. Pretty twisted system all aorund.

Last edited by e30addict; 09-09-21 at 01:37 PM.
    2012 Tiger 800 XC

Quote Originally Posted by PurplePackage View Post
    Ackerman and Voss right there. You can also say a lower number, don't limit yourself to the price on the web. You can even say "that offer is insulting me"

Other key phrases:

You are not treating me as a valuable customer

That is not the customer experience I was expecting here / this experience does not meet my expectations

I want a dealer I can build a long professional relationship with and right now you’re not inspiring a lot of confidence for me and my best interests.

Yo momma is…….

Quote Originally Posted by e30addict View Post
    Yup. For every shady as fuck dealer in existence there is an equal amount of customers who seem to think buying a car is license to channel their inner Karen and treat dealership employees like dog shit. Plenty of shitty customers out there keeping the cycle going. It's not just bad dealers.

As you know, anybody in the business for any length of time has plenty of customer horror stories to share, but they don't get the same attention as the shady dealers. Plenty of good people running stores and selling cars too get the shaft and lost in the noise too. Pretty twisted system all aorund.
    Not dealer related but EVERYONE should have to work in the service/retail industry for at least 6-12 months in their lifetimes.

Quote Originally Posted by PurplePackage View Post

Depending on my mood when I get lowballed...."

A. Guess we're done here" right after they insult me. Then I'll tell them to come back with something reasonable or stop wasting my time.
    B. Say, "how did you come up with that number" in a dead pan, emotionless fashion. Usually knocks them on their heels to have that line used against them instead of the other way around.

Stoneman's method is extremely effective too. I've always been told the best deal you'll get is after you walk away... I haven't found that to be a lie yet, at least as far as car sales go.

2012 Tiger 800 XC

Not dealer related but EVERYONE should have to work in the service/retail industry for at least 6-12 months in their lifetimes.
    That pic posted in the tip thread was pretty telling. Change of perspective needed for sure.

2012 Tiger 800 XC

I didn't intend for this to become a discussion on negotiation tactics, and that's because minimizing the purchase price on a used car is not an exercise in negotiation. There is no give and take here. The only "give" you have as a buyer is immediacy. The dealer has a bottom line number they will accept on the car, all you are trying to do is expose this number. This is not negotiation.

Quote Originally Posted by JettaJayGLS View Post
    Ehhh, that's a lot of work and time. And despite your assurance, there is no guarantee that it actually works as you say.
    It's worked for me every time. The only real time involved on my end is being there in person to initiate the conversation and me going in to sign the paper trail. If it appears it won't work, I simply move on to the next one. The rest is simply phone calls with my short & abrupt answers.

You do you, I'll do me.

I didn't intend for this to become a discussion on negotiation tactics, and that's because minimizing the purchase price on a used car is not an exercise in negotiation. There is no give and take here. The only "give" you have as a buyer is immediacy. The dealer has a bottom line number they will accept on the car, all you are trying to do is expose this number. This is not negotiation.
    True, true...

Used is a very different beast right now.

As you were...

That bottom line number changes daily based on a variety of factors though.

Maybe not in the current market regarding price, but you still can negotiate trades and financing.

In your case, you could tell them you'll finance with them subject to them beating your rate, but you need X as a sales price first. They'll get the flat from the bank you'll get your price. I still call bs on the rebate though. Its been my experience dealers keep that as profit and not pass it to the customer. I've been out of the dealer sales/finance side of things for a long time though.

2012 Tiger 800 XC

It's worked for me every time. The only real time involved on my end is being there in person to initiate the conversation and me going in to sign the paper trail. If it appears it won't work, I simply move on to the next one. The rest is simply phone calls with my short & abrupt answers.

You do you, I'll do me.
    Two very conflicting statements here.

But I agree with your bottom line: each person can use the technique or technique(s) that makes the most sense for them to use.

Last edited by JettaJayGLS; 09-09-21 at 02:04 PM.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast