Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Detroit 6V53TI 400HP marine diesel engine

Dictionary quoting knob stoinkythepig's Avatar

Re: Detroit 6V53TI 400HP marine diesel engine

Quote Originally Posted by xrocket21 View Post
    I was at the rockland lobster fest with my parents and their 34' sailboat (for sale if anyone is feeling froggy) and a guy in a go fast boat pulled up. The rockland harbor guy told him he couldn't park where he was pulling up, guy said he was pretty much out of gas and had to park and ignored the harbor guy. I was standing there drooling and he tossed me a line and asked for help.

Oh man... the throttle blips of him just parking the fucker, the exhaust noise bouncing off the mainland... gave me goose bumps.

He remote activated the doors on the rear and they opened up like cold war bomb bay doors and you could feel the heat coming out and hear the popping hot/cooling metal noises.

Damn thing had THREE blown im assuming big blocks. Absolutely bonkers. I was in love.

I remember that the cockpit had basically three padded tubes you stand in, no seats. Single row of gauges going from one side of the dash to the other, must have been 30 gauges.
    As much as I love big block Chevy marine engines, this Mercury motor really makes my heart go pitter patter: 1750 Competition | Mercury Racing It's unreal that you can by a factory made, 9 liter, DOHC V8, 1750HP marine gasoline (ok, race gas, but still...) engine for your boat. That Mercury M8 drive looks pretty cool too: M8 Drive | Mercury Racing

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by butcher bergs View Post
    All the reading I've done on this engine tells me nothing more than they like to leak oil....a lot....and often.

Haven't come across and real reliability issues as reported by owners other than a voiced concern for the HP vs displacement (hence the "overboosted timebomb" sentiment) but nothing that says they are outwardly prone to grenading.

I spoke to a marine mechanic today and he recommended against buying a boat with these engines, but could not actually recall ever hearing about one that failed. His opinion was based on how loud and leaky they are, but he admitted the most of the oil leaks are due to people using 15W40 when the engines require straight 40W oil (which is well documented). The popular opinion is that at 400HP, they should not last, but no one seems to know of any that failed prematurely. He also admitted that he rebuilt a Detroit 353 (half a 6V53) in a boat, in just one working day, and that a Detroit 671 rebuild only costs 2500 bucks for parts and labor.

The engines in the boat are 28 years old and still run great according to the broker, makes me wonder if they are the Tom Brady of boat engines. I'll fire them up and see just how loud they are. I know the Detroit 8V71 I worked about a year ago on was really loud, but that boat is a commercial lobster boat and has no sound insulation. It was also covered in oil, but the captain recently told me he had been over-filling it for months because he had the wrong dipstick and it's much better now.

I am looking forward to checking the boat out tomorrow regardless. I would never pay anywhere near the asking price so I may not actually need to make a decision.

1 Not allowed!

I was at the rockland lobster fest with my parents and their 34' sailboat (for sale if anyone is feeling froggy) //
    What is it?

0 Not allowed!
    1975 BMW R90/6 | 2008 Triumph Tiger 1050 ABS | 2009 Honda CRF100F | 2009 Yamaha TrailWay 200 | 2012 Yamaha WR250R | 2016 Honda CB500FA | 2016 Suzuki GSX-R750

Quote Originally Posted by Garandman View Post
    What is it?
    2008 Hunter 33 Sloop

2008 Hunter Hunter 33 Boats for Sale - East Coast Yacht Sales

one owner, clean, etc.

My father passed away and my mom has been trying to sell it.

0 Not allowed!

several years ago, I have to meet with a client for a simple signature on an application, when I got to his house, his wife said "out in the garage" and pointed to the back door of his little 24x24 2 car garage. When I opened the door, all I could see was engine, one in each bay, his garage was actually quite the machine shop. He was rebuilding a pair of Allison V-1710s to be installed in a boat, one engine was counter rotating. One cylinder had more displacement than some of the cars that I have owned (142.5 cu in)

3 Not allowed!
    RandyO
    IBA#9560
    A man with a gun is a citizen
    A man without a gun is a subject

We checked out the boat but did not start the engines (they are Winterized). This was the first of this brand and model boat we've been aboard and I am really glad to say that it taught me a valuable lesson. I was adamant that I wanted a lower helm station in addition to the flybridge helm, but after seeing the sight lines from the lower helm, I realized that I would rarely operate the boat from there and it changed my mind about the need for the lower helm. That totally opens up a ton more boats that I would consider now since many are on the market without the lower helm station, including a ton with CAT 3208s which are pretty much legendary in the marine world for their reliability and longevity. Considering the CATs displace 10.4 liters and make 375HP, vs. the Detroits at 5.2 liters and 400 HP, it seems reasonable to expect a long life from the CATs. Should be going to look at one with CATs (and no lower helm) next weekend. Thanks for all the fascinating discussion.

1 Not allowed!
    Last edited by stoinkythepig; 11-04-18 at 10:09 PM.

The lower helm is so you can glance at the gauges while you are making your drink down in the galley while in the open ocean.

0 Not allowed!
    Dad's Dream: Earn enough money to live the life that his wife and kids do.

Quote Originally Posted by Falko View Post
    The lower helm is so you can glance at the gauges while you are making your drink down in the galley while in the open ocean.
    The bar and ice maker are in the salon, not the galley. Jeez, what kind of shitty yacht do you think I'm looking at?

2 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by stoinkythepig View Post
    The bar and ice maker are in the salon, not the galley. Jeez, what kind of shitty yacht do you think I'm looking at?
    fucking peasants

1 Not allowed!

My apologies. I'm only accustomed to the guest quarters of such a vessel. Be sure to tell me when you take delivery of said yacht and I will be the first to get you a lovely Grey Poupon.

0 Not allowed!

My apologies. I'm only accustomed to the guest quarters of such a vessel. Be sure to tell me when you take delivery of said yacht and I will be the first to get you a lovely Grey Poupon.
    Perhaps you could occupy the guest quarters some time. Having guests aboard for >1day cruises is in the cards for sure. The guest stateroom and head on the future boat are vastly superior to the master stateroom and head on my current boat...

0 Not allowed!

Not if the word "cozy" is in your vocabulary

0 Not allowed!

Perhaps you could occupy the guest quarters some time. Having guests aboard for >1day cruises is in the cards for sure. The guest stateroom and head on the future boat are vastly superior to the master stateroom and head on my current boat...
    Only if I get to dress like Judge Smails...

0 Not allowed!

You know, I've often thought of entering the priesthood

0 Not allowed!
    '08 Ducati HyperMotard 1100S, '14 Subaru XV Crosstrek

Quote Originally Posted by number9 View Post
    You know, I've often thought of entering the priesthood
    I'm sorry, but you can't cum....

0 Not allowed!

That's a given

1 Not allowed!

I'm sorry, but you can't cum....
    "What's the point of living if you don't have a dick?"

~Donnie Darko

0 Not allowed!

2 stroke diesel? what?
    Needs more 8V71, Screamin' Detroit

0 Not allowed!
    Too many bikes to list
    http://oneguytwowheels.blogspot.com/
    Mosdt likely drunkd

Why not?

Referring back to the RC car nitro engines, none of them are forced induction?

Sidenote, I remember an argument about RC superchargers claiming they couldn't work because any boost would just blow out the exhaust port at overlap....
    The engine can't "aspirate" so it needs forced induction to actually get air inside.

" All two-stroke Diesel engines require artificial aspiration to operate, and will either use a mechanically driven blower or a turbo-compressor to charge the cylinder with air. In the early phase of intake, the air charge is also used to force out any remaining combustion gases from the preceding power stroke, a process referred to as scavenging."

"Because a 2 cycle engine takes in air at the bottom of the stroke, there is little to no vacuum to draw air in.

Large 2 cycle diesels use a blower (supercharger) or turbocharger, or both, to force air into the cylinder during the short time the ports are open in the cylinder."

If I recall, the s/c on a Detroit 2 stroke isn't for performance; it's just to make it run.

0 Not allowed!
    Too many bikes to list
    http://oneguytwowheels.blogspot.com/
    Mosdt likely drunkd

Quote Originally Posted by Garrett View Post

If I recall, the s/c on a Detroit 2 stroke isn't for performance; it's just to make it run.
    Yup, that is correct. The turbo gives them more performance.

0 Not allowed!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12